Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals Japanese Accessories  (Read 6713 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Nintendo Reveals Japanese Accessories
« on: October 11, 2006, 06:25:10 AM »
Japanese price and launch details were revealed for several accessories, including the LAN adapter!

At a recent press conference in Japan, Nintendo revealed several important details regarding Wii accessories.  The information is summarized below.  All of them will be out on Japanese launch except for the LAN adapter, which will be out sometime in the first month.    

AC Adapter
  JP Release: December 2, 2006
  JP Sale Price: 3,000 Yen
AV Cable
  JP Sale Price: 1,000 Yen
S Video Cable
  JP Sale Price: 2,500 Yen
D Terminal Cable
Component Cable
SD Memory Card (512 MB)
  JP Sale Price: 3,800 Yen
LAN Adapter
  JP Release: December, 2006
  JP Sale Price: 2,800 Yen

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Reveals Japanese Accessories
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 07:06:45 AM »
That is a really good price for the component, I hope the U.S. one is around 20$!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ssj4_android

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals Japanese Accessories
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 07:25:05 AM »
Why does the S-Video cable cost as much as the component cable? When can we expect to see $8 third party cables that work just as well, if not better? And I guess this is confirmation that Nintendo was wrong when they said it would support VGA?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:35:37 AM »
Nice, now all we need is to hear official news from NoA.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 07:42:14 AM »
$30 for a 512 MB SD card is pretty step, considering Bestbuy tends to discount that data range to about half that price (although the normal price is $25).

Wonder what they will charge in the US for it. As some other have pointed out, you can also save a ton on those by ordering online at the right places.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:43:25 AM »
What I want to know is if these Nintendo cards have something special on them that makes normal SD cards not work.  I'm going to want to place an SD order in time for it to arrive before launch.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
What I want to know is if these Nintendo cards have something special on them that makes normal SD cards not work.  I'm going to want to place an SD order in time for it to arrive before launch.

Of course they don't.  Any SD card will do, but Nintendo is offering them so people can easily find one if they want to get an extra SD card.  And also, so they can make more money.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 09:52:34 AM »
I just got a catalog today that has 1 GB SD cards for $19.99.  I can't remember the brand name, but it wasn't one I'm familiar with.  It was A something.  I think the catalog was from Tiger Direct.

Nintendo must be charging for their designer label (okay, and their reputation and customer service).  I'd like to know who their supplier is.  Chances are good that whoever it is will release a press release somewhere, but I don't know where to look.

It just occurred to me that the Wii may require a certain speed SD card.  I really hope that's not the case.  I'd like the option of choosing a really cheap slow one or splurging on a really fast one.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

Originally posted by: Pale

Of course they don't.  Any SD card will do, but Nintendo is offering them so people can easily find one if they want to get an extra SD card.  And also, so they can make more money.

Ok then, but are we sure that there won't be an arbitrary size cap like on some digital cameras...  Say, would this work...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141037

I just want some confirmation before I order anything.
---------------------

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 01:14:35 PM »
no wireless LAN?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 01:25:56 PM »
What huh?  Wireless is built in.
---------------------

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:27:28 PM »
I think they meant Ethernet Adapter not LAN adapter.  There seems to be only one plug therefore it would be impossible to connect two Wiis together unless you had a hub accessory also which would further add to the hassle of getting a LAN party setup.  Who would want to buy assuming 4 LAN adapters and a seperate hub to connect them all together?  Maybe I'm interpreting something wrong i dunno?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »
You're right, Shaolin; it's not a LAN adapter, it's just another option for those who don't have a wireless connection - they can use an ethernet cable instead. Wireless LAN functionality is still included. See Ian? Options...

I just got a catalog today that has 1 GB SD cards for $19.99. I can't remember the brand name, but it wasn't one I'm familiar with. It was A something. I think the catalog was from Tiger Direct.
Yeah, TigerDirect.ca is awesome for that sort of stuff..

And I guess this is confirmation that Nintendo was wrong when they said it would support VGA?
Wasn't that dropped ages ago?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 04:24:27 PM »
Perhaps the Nintendo-branded SD card could come with Wii Points or a VC game or something pre-loaded...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla
 There seems to be only one plug therefore it would be impossible to connect two Wiis together unless you had a hub accessory also which would further add to the hassle of getting a LAN party setup.  Who would want to buy assuming 4 LAN adapters and a seperate hub to connect them all together?  Maybe I'm interpreting something wrong i dunno?

Umm... why would you need to hook the Wiis together with cables for LAN?  The only reason you'd need the adapter is if you don't have a wireless Internet router.  The Wiis can still communicate with each other wirelessly just like the DS.  And if you have them scattered in a giant house that's too big for local wireless, you might as well use a standard ethernet hub anyways.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »

Why does the S-Video cable cost as much as the component cable? When can we expect to see $8 third party cables that work just as well, if not better? And I guess this is confirmation that Nintendo was wrong when they said it would support VGA?

My guess is that not everyone has EDTV or HDTV, S-video is the next best thing. I see TV's at my local grocery store with S-video for under $100. For those with the high end sets, component is the way to go .

VGA support? Its fate is most likely similiar to DVD support (ain't happenin'...) Buuuuut if someone gets a hand on some D-terminals, they could do this.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 05:46:18 PM »
If you go over to IGN they list the model numbers, and Nintendo is doing what they did with the Gamecube use the development name for the begining of the number. RVL
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 06:06:27 PM »
Same as the DS, right? (NTR)
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
Am I the only one that noticed that the Component have Gold tips?  Yummy Gold!!!  I'm very happy about this.
I'm hoping that NOA has this for Release but it's NOA...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 07:47:25 PM »
if I'm not mistaken, the GC's component cables had gold connectors as well.....maybe someone who has them can verify
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 07:48:54 PM »

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla
I think they meant Ethernet Adapter not LAN adapter.  There seems to be only one plug therefore it would be impossible to connect two Wiis together unless you had a hub accessory also which would further add to the hassle of getting a LAN party setup.  Who would want to buy assuming 4 LAN adapters and a seperate hub to connect them all together?  Maybe I'm interpreting something wrong i dunno?

Or a crossover cable numb nuts.

But whatever, it's only included for children still living in the 80s with wired internet.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 10:32:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala
if I'm not mistaken, the GC's component cables had gold connectors as well.....maybe someone who has them can verify

Yeah I think they are too I just don't want to unplug mine and look but, the Audio cables weren't.  They were your standard Cube ones.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 10:46:45 PM »
Can someone please explain to me the differences between the different cables? Like What to D Terminals conenct to? Or Component Cables etc.
AV 4 lyfe yo.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 02:23:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala

They are.  (In fact the RCA plugs are of identical style to the ones shown here)

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 06:52:15 AM »
18 Days: D-Terminal is a digital(?) connection that is not used in the US. I believe it can be adapted to VGA (HD-15; that is, what CRT computer monitors use) pretty easily. The "AV" (composite) video is the lowest common denominator for TV video signals; it just throws everything together into one RCA cable. S-Video is one connector with multiple wires at the end, which most TVs have inputs for. Component is the best analog video connector; it just separates the video signal into three separate RCA cables. Component is much better than the other two because it gives a better picture and can support HDTV signals. For the Wii, that means you can get 480p, so you have have 60 full frames per second instead of 60 fields (basically half-frames) per second (look up 480i on Wikipedia if you care).