Author Topic: So are games region free or what?  (Read 4888 times)

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
So are games region free or what?
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:51:20 AM »
Because IGN is reporting otherwise.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732982p1.html
Apparently online content, read; Virtual Console, is region locked too.
My launch plans are in disarray at the moment.

A straight answer from Iwata would be cool but I heard it might be Iwata Time and that's not happening.

This has probably been discussed somewhere already but I can't be bothered keeping up with the slew of new discussion.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
RE: So are games region free or what?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:53:09 AM »
I sure do wish that Nintendo could have a universal answer.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:So are games region free or what?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:44:23 AM »
Joystiq apparently followed up on the story with a US spokesperson and said it will not be region-free. Neither the games nor console. I'm saddened.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 10:10:40 AM »
The non-Region free news came out in the UK, I'm thinking that maybe US and Japan can switch games back and forth but Europe and Australia can't.
There wasn't a whole lot stoping US and Japan from playing each others game with the GameCube  all you needed was a quick 3 wire mod you could get the US Cube to play Japan games.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Famicom
Joystiq apparently followed up on the story with a US spokesperson and said it will not be region-free. Neither the games nor console. I'm saddened.

Seems odd that some random U.S. spokesperson would know more than Parrin Kaplin VP of marketing. I'll just have to wait and see, perhaps IGN can get a clarification from Parrin.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 11:34:28 AM »
I dunno, Parrin does say some stupid things sometimes.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 11:46:43 AM »
Perhaps NoE complained that noone will buy their overpriced crap anymore if we can import games from other markets so the region freeness was scratched from the plan. I'm tempted to mail NoE and ask them if that was their brilliant idea or if NCL just decided to let them torture us more. Maybe one day all of those jerkwads get fired and we can get someone that's at least marginally competent to handle this market.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 04:50:48 PM »

Originally posted by: capamerica
The non-Region free news came out in the UK, I'm thinking that maybe US and Japan can switch games back and forth but Europe and Australia can't. ...

Aussie Cubes can play European GC games out of the box. I'd assume it would be the same for the Wii.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
Yes but that's because they count as one region. The question is wheher we can buy the games from a market that actually has them (and for a non-insane price).

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 09:31:22 PM »
...and we all know that won't be the case.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps

Originally posted by: capamerica
The non-Region free news came out in the UK, I'm thinking that maybe US and Japan can switch games back and forth but Europe and Australia can't. ...

Aussie Cubes can play European GC games out of the box. I'd assume it would be the same for the Wii.

But see what if they want to change this? NAL lost a lot of sales through retailers like DVD crave selling UK products.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Aussiedude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 03:19:17 AM »
Well Perrin Kaplan  has AGAIN stated the Wii is region free. WTF is going on? Is Yarnton nobbing himself or what?

link  
Will Wii Win?  

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 04:17:53 AM »
Let's face it. She's stupid.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 05:14:16 AM »
Wii games maybe reigon free, but virtual console games most likely wont.  It will be interesting to see if they do offer NTSC counterparts in the PAL territories.  Most of the TVs nowdays support both NTSC and PAL in the PAL territories.

To be honest it would cost Nintendo very little to host there entire library on the Virtual Console in all formats that is accessible to everyone.  Whether or not they decide to do it is another question.
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 06:41:05 AM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days

Oh yeah. Let's completely disregard the possibility that it might be the other guy who's wrong, and immediately assume the worst.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 06:44:40 AM »
NTSC Wiis will be region free, PAL Wiis not.

And NoE is a bunch of mindless jerks I'd trust Kaplan more when it comes to information about the US market.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 09:53:28 AM »
so it'd safe to assume then that the US Wii will be region free, the European one won't, and NOE is REALLY screwing up
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
NTSC Wiis will be region free, PAL Wiis not.

Actually, if I'm understanding this correctly, I don't think that's the case. I think all Wiis will have a region, probably in the same manor that the Gamecubes do currently in terms of countries. The difference here is that, at least in the US, it sounds like companies are being allowed to make region free games (much like Hong Kong makes region 0 DVDs that can play in all markets) while Nintendo's first party offerings will be done this way; however, that's not stopping third parties from locking their game to a specific region if they want to (which might be done for legal issues, like in the case of a Jump Superstars) while other branches of Nintendo could pick to still use regions, meaning that the US Wiis still couldn't play those discs.

In other words, assuming there isn't an issue with playing a NTSC disc on a PAL Wii or a system lock out on those systems for anything with code "0", Wiis from other locations should be able to play the US first party releases no problem.

Although that's assuming I'm understanding all of this correctly and it works exactly like DVD regions do.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 12:33:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Originally posted by: 18 Days

Oh yeah. Let's completely disregard the possibility that it might be the other guy who's wrong, and immediately assume the worst.

Until we get a final confirmation I am going to accept the word of VP of Marketing over some anomynous "spokesman" from Nintendo.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144