Author Topic: Official Wii Launch Details  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Official Wii Launch Details
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:09:34 AM »
A slightly different set of details and quotes from NOA.

NINTENDO’S INCOMPARABLE Wii CONSOLE  LAUNCHES NOV. 19; MSRP $249.99    

30 New Games, 30 Retro Titles, User-Friendly ‘Channels’  Make it the Affordable System for Gamers, Newcomers and Families    

NEW YORK, Sept. 14, 2006 – Nintendo will reshape the home entertainment and video game landscape with the launch of its heralded Wii™ home video game console. The Americas will lead the worldwide launch on Nov. 19. Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an MSRP of just $249.99. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc, which anyone can play using simple movements, experienced or not.    

Every Wii console includes another distinctive feature: a series of on-screen “channels" that make up the Wii Channel Menu, which makes the console approachable and customizable for everyone, from the most avid gamer to people who have never played before. The Wii Channel Menu is the starting point for all of the console’s functions. The “channels" offer a gateway to a rich variety of entertainment options. When connected to a TV, the Wii Channel Menu offers a simple interface, letting users pick games to play, get news or weather, view and send photos or even create playable caricatures of themselves to use in actual games. Additional functions allow users to redeem Wii Points and download classic games to Wii’s Virtual Console™. The variety of options available through the Wii Channel Menu motivates both gamers and non-gamers to turn on Wii’s power every day.    

Wii is creating worldwide excitement with its unique control system, an inventive, first-of-its-kind controller whose position can be detected in a 3-D space. The new controller allows users to pinpoint targets in games or move through the Wii Channel Menu with precision and ease. This intuitive control system will be understood immediately by everyone, regardless of their previous experience with video games. With this one small controller, Wii makes games both easier and more intense than anything previously experienced. For example, in the Wii Sports tennis game, players swing the Wii Remote like a racket to hit the ball, as in real life. They can add topspin or slice the ball just by angling their hands and wrist like they would in a real match.    

“Wii reinvents games for the devoted player," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “But more importantly, Wii breaks the wall separating players from non-players by delivering the best game experiences for the most affordable price. We believe the next leap is games for the masses – young and old, gamer or non, alone, with a friend or with the whole family."  Fils-Aime made his remarks in New York, shortly after Nintendo executives in Japan announced Wii will launch there on Dec. 2.    

Between launch day and Dec. 31, Wii owners will enjoy a robust lineup of 30 software titles, with selections for everyone from video game veterans to newcomers. Some top Nintendo launch titles include Wii Sports, a compilation of tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing; The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess; and EXCITE TRUCK™. While publishers are free to set their own prices for games, first-party Nintendo titles will have an MSRP of $49.99. Wii’s self-loading media bay also can play the entire library of more than 530 Nintendo GameCube™ titles from day one.    

Third-party developers around the world have lined up to provide unprecedented support for Wii.    

“The Wii is changing audience interaction, opening up whole new experiences that have never been possible in video games," says Robert Kotick, Chairman and CEO, Activision, Inc. “With the instinctual control of the Wii Remote, Nintendo is advancing the gaming experience to the broadest audience of gamers. Activision is excited about the launch of the Wii and the opportunity it offers. So much so, we plan to have five titles available at launch – our strongest lineup ever for a new console. We have more development resources devoted to the Wii than to any previous Nintendo platform. The Wii is likely to have a profound impact on the size, growth and overall opportunities for the video game market."    

“I believe the Wii will attract new and casual gamers to the world of interactive entertainment," says Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO, Electronic Arts. “It’s a fun, easy and economical system that will become a bridge to gaming for mainstream audiences. At EA, we are putting more support behind the Wii than any Nintendo hardware launch since the Super NES."    

“The Wii control scheme opens up unexplored areas for our talented teams to innovate when creating games," says Laurent DeToc, President of Ubisoft North America. “It’s invigorating for us. We believe that it will help create a new level of interest in video games and engage more players around the world."    

Additional information about the list of Virtual Console games and the pricing structure will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: US Press Release
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 07:14:15 AM »
Ah, so the official spelling is now Nunchuk (TM)?

250$ is a bad price IMO, the 50 adds confusion.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:31:42 AM »

racket

US spelling is bizarre.
racquet
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 07:45:25 AM »
boo, one controller.

Id probably just wait for a price drop, or a standalone console, I really don't want wiisports. now that I think about it what are the five sports? if it includes the airplane demo of E3 I might reconsider, otherwise Ill prefer to wait.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline ssj4_android

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 07:51:53 AM »
I'm disappointed with the price, and the fact that you have to buy Opera. It should be included, especially for $250.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:US Press Release
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 07:56:19 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
boo, one controller.

Id probably just wait for a price drop, or a standalone console, I really don't want wiisports. now that I think about it what are the five sports? if it includes the airplane demo of E3 I might reconsider, otherwise Ill prefer to wait.

Wiisports includes:
Tennis
Golf
Bowling
Boxing (woohoo!)
Baseball
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:US Press Release
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 08:11:42 AM »

Originally posted by: ssj4_android
I'm disappointed with the price, and the fact that you have to buy Opera. It should be included, especially for $250.

Umm, it ISN'T? What?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 10:19:42 AM »
Opera is a free download to early adopters, but you'll have to part with your precious Wiipoints if you want it laters.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
Probably because WebTV sucks and Nintendo didn't want to foot the bill for millions of browser licenses noone uses.

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:46:11 AM »
Nintendo has announced that the Opera Browser will be a free download until sometime in June, I believe.
After seeing the Wii Boxing similarities to Punch Out!! I am ALL OVER that stuff. The thing for me is, I wanted Wii Sports, but I didnt want to pay for it. I really liked the idea of having a game that I can actually share with my "non-gamer" friends and family. But my budget is limited, so there is a small chance I would have gotten it over other launch games that I personally want. Well Nintendo fixed that problem for me quite easily. You could make the arguement that if the game wasnt included, the system would have been $200. Well, homey dont play dat. If, if, if, if. IF I was a millionare I wouldnt care about any prices! IF I owned Nintendo I would have had Wii for months now. If Wii=$200<Wii is $250.  
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE: Official Wii Launch Details
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:56:43 PM »
I'm fine with prices, pack-ins, and whatever there may be that I will spend on, except...all I wanted was an Onyx Wii and MP3 for launch, and so those are my only dissapointments.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »
I thought that the Opera Browser would be free AFTER June.  I'm confused. @_@
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »
It's only free for Japan until June. I don't think we are getting it for free, maybe because of WiiSports? Consider this, the Wii already has several channels that have an online component (i.e. message board, weather, news, etc...), so why even bother complaining about paying $5US for Opera when we don't need it. Then again, I could be wrong, your choice.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
The quote on IGN said free "after June 2006."  I think we're all confused.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 08:27:07 PM »
"This channel dramatically changes the relationship between a user's home, the television and the Internet. Users download the Opera browser with Wii Points. Then they can surf the Internet right from the comfort of their couch. They can do quick research while watching a television program ("What was that actor's name again?"), or book travel plans and shop during commercials. The service is compatible with Macromedia Flash and also runs AJAX software."

So it sounds like you have to pay.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 08:47:48 PM »
Yeah, but they also said that until June, it would be free, so I'm assuming that after that you will need to use your Wii Points..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 09:02:02 PM »
...Unless that was only for Japan?

They can do quick research while watching a television program ("What was that actor's name again?"

I forsee this being a pain. First of all, text input. Second of all, you'll have to change the channel and what-not. Unless the Wii's final secret is that you can point the wiimote at an actor's face while watching tv, and the wii will be able to tell you who it is.

(I plan on using the Wii browser alot, btw. So conveinent.)
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »
The only reason to get Opera Wii would be to watch Homestar Runner on the TV.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Official Wii Launch Details
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 10:49:55 AM »
I get the urge to IMDB people a lot, so the Wii Opera Browser is my new best friend.

Also, I can post to PGC from bed? (My TV in the dorm is at the foot of my bed) BOOYAH!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Yeah, but they also said that until June, it would be free, so I'm assuming that after that you will need to use your Wii Points..

You got it backwards.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/features/wii_channel.html#internet
The requirements at the bottom read:
" - Only Wii that connects the Internet can be used.
- Download sale of the Internet browser
  However, it is possible to download it free of charge at the end of June in 2007."

So yeah, now you pay. Later, you can get it free.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 02:37:01 PM »
I figure this is as good a place as any to vent my frustration on the news that Wii is not, in fact, region free and does not, in fact, come with a component cable.

I was very pleased with the Wii news, now not so much ;___;  Cables are usually $59 over-priced, and region-locks are for girls.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 03:12:24 PM »
KN> I would say that alot of details, like the ones you are angry at, are yet to be officially revealed. Don't get your hopes up, but also don't get stressed about it.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
Knowing Nintendo, those are more or less confirmed

I wouldn't be so pissed about the lack of component cable normally, but the household's last standard TV is about to be replaced, leaving me with only widescreen options...I should be jumping for joy that my family can afford sweet high def TVs, but not when it means *I* can't afford BIG DAMN TRUCKS at launch.

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 03:31:21 PM »
Exactly two months months until Wii!!!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
Knowing Nintendo, those are more or less confirmed

I wouldn't be so pissed about the lack of component cable normally, but the household's last standard TV is about to be replaced, leaving me with only widescreen options...I should be jumping for joy that my family can afford sweet high def TVs, but not when it means *I* can't afford BIG DAMN TRUCKS at launch.

Yeah, I see what you mean.
I on the other hand have to wait and see if I can use my GC component cables on the Wii, that's why I said that we have to wait until we get real official news.