Author Topic: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 23228 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2006, 09:13:10 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

Originally posted by: Shecky
"picture a wheel in the shape of a four-sided square"

GOLDEN

Squares can have more than four sides.  Ever see a Rubix Cube?
I think he was referring to this being a really good analogy.  (Which it was.)  If not, then your counterargument fails.  A Rubix Cube isn't a  square.  It's a cube.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
I make no comment on the analogy, I just found the statement funny and deserving of shecky's "GOLDEN" award

1) Wheels are, by most definitions, circular without corners
2) Squares are, by most definitions, rectangles with four sides of equal length (and thus four 90 deg corners)

Thus the statement is both an oxymoron and pleonasm

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »
So he should have used rectangle.  Ok lets move on.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2006, 01:07:40 PM »
You have the wrong link to this thread in the latest talkback. Anway, as to your statement 'You're obviously never going to see a Mii running around with a gun in a gory first-person shooter", why do you think that? I could definentally see some developers, like Free Radical, doing that.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »
I agree with Windy on the shooter front.  Nintendo still has to approve the use of their tech, even if a third party wants to do something like that.  In this day and age, even cartoon caricatures wouldn't be safe.  It's just not a can of worms I can see Nintendo opening.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2006, 06:18:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I agree with Windy on the shooter front.  Nintendo still has to approve the use of their tech, even if a third party wants to do something like that.  In this day and age, even cartoon caricatures wouldn't be safe.  It's just not a can of worms I can see Nintendo opening.

I'm not sure...  The Mii character config is just a configuration list like the first letter states.  

To expand the Namco example out a bit:  Picture the next Soul Calibur with a character called "You!" that would look just like your Mii profile (but drawn differently from the standard Nintendo Mii style).  So you would have an announcement of Nightmare vs. You! to start the match and a quite literal "You Win!" or "You Lose!" to close the match.  The character You! could be a take on the Charade/EdgeMaster type person (random weapon type) or they could make it so that you can fix the move set to a particular fighter.  If you can tie a name to your Mii profile, the game could display that (while still announcing "you" or "player").

I could see the same with a 3rd person shooter, and I don't see how Nintendo could restrict a developer from doing it (other than not giving the final blessing, but how often does that ever happen).  If developers jump on it, it could be a nice touch to games.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »
I'd like to play Mii in SSBB.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2006, 09:35:09 AM »
For the first question, Another good game that was not mentioned would be excite truck.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2006, 10:13:22 AM »
Isn't Excite Truck only 2-player?
GOREGASM!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2006, 04:59:27 PM »
indeed it is, but warioware is 5 player.  Wrap your head around that.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »
The 5th player operates the POWER BUTTON.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2006, 02:01:41 AM »
Responding to the 11/26 mailbag...

The Wii could definitely have DVD playback via a firmware and software update, no question. The discs are standard DVD/DVD9 now, and the hardware is more than capable of playing back quality MPEG-2 video. If the PS2 can do it, the Wii can do it. The audio would suck, due to having no true 5.1 surround though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2006, 07:25:50 AM »

From the latest mailbag

For those who don't know, "game lag" is a phenomenon that occurs with game systems connected to LCD and plasma televisions. The video signal is put through the set's video processor(s) to better the picture quality, and the milliseconds of delay this process causes can make a game's controls feel disjointed with what's happening on screen. For passive entertainment, like movies, this delay is moot. However, when you need to press a button at exactly the right moment, the lag can become a large problem.

This problem, as it turns out, it completely the fault of the display you are using. It doesn't matter that the Wii is outputting in 480i. It wouldn't be as bad, but there's also lag with progressive video feeds, the hi-def ones included. The only type of television where you can get a guaranteed lag-free gaming experience is a CRT. That's the reason why I bought a CRT HDTV. Yeah, it's big and bulky and remarkably heavy, but the picture quality is terrific.

Don't bother getting exotic video upscalers or converters. For now, you should tough it out until you can get your hands on some Wii component cables. What you really should be doing is looking at getting a better television set, one that doesn't lag up your games as much. And about those plummeting HDTV prices? You get what you pay for, kiddies.

There's an awful lot of misinformation in that post.    

The most lag-inducing thing is the TV has to do is the de-interlacing, which the question asker is forced to do due to the lack of component cables.

It is extremely likely that switching to the progressive scan cables will clear up the problem; most non-interlaced TV's like plasmas and LCDs only have lag problems with 480i signals.  

The question asker should also look in his menus to see if his TV has a "Gaming" mode which, uses a faster, sloppier deinterlacing method.

The only type of television where you can get a guaranteed lag-free gaming experience is a CRT.

No, the only way to get a guaranteed lag-free gaming experience is by doing research first.  CRT's make for nice HDTV's, but by no means are they inherently superior for gaming, namely since they're usually 1080i natively.  Any HDTV is prone to lag when converting from one resolution to another, if that TV does it poorly.  The best solution is to have the source component handle the resolution / interlacing changing, like an upscaling DVD player does.  The source material is the same resolution (480p in this case) but the DVD player does the "heavy lifting" and scales it to your TV's native resolution for you.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2006, 12:23:36 PM »
On the question in the most recent mailbag about the website click-through for accessing the internet. Of course, this would be easiest when Opera is on the Wii, but you could clone the Wii/DS's MAC address with a laptop, do the click-through, and then reset the computer's MAC address. The only way the network can identify devices is the MAC address, so it will think the Wii/DS did the click-through. (Technically, there are method that might detect that, but no one would bother.) As to how to find the MAC address... it should be on the device somewhere, if it isn't, then it would be more difficult.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2006, 02:27:58 AM »
In the mailbag that released today, I would suggest to the guy from Ireland to buy a Wii now, and maybe sell everything before you move back to Ireland. Buy an SD Card so you can back up all your game saves and then rebuy everything in Ireland. This may cost a few extra bucks in the end but you will have everything, no waiting, no importing (this may make the cost equivalent anyway).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2006, 12:54:29 AM »
"I've been having a real problem with my Wii. Aside from little inconsistencies like the way it burns through AAs, an iffy synching system, and the occasional mis-read in WiiTennis, I can't save games to my SD card. I tried my regular SanDisk 1G card that I usually keep in my camera...I can view the photos just fine, but when I go into the Data Management menu, all I see is "Wii" (with a Wii console on the button) and "Nintendo Gamecube" (GCN memory card). So I figured, "Okay, I just need an official card". So I bought one."

Error in the mailbag response for this question. The reason why this kids SD card is not operating to full capacity is because he hasn't installed any of the system updates from Nintendo. When I went home over Thanksgiving break I was trying to play Excite Truck on my brother's Wii, but I wanted to copy my save to his machine before I started playing. When I went to his Data Management window there was no option for an SD Card. I brought his machine upstairs, closer to the wireless router, and installed the updates. Brought it back downstairs and voila! SD Card support available. The mailbag response passed this part over, because maybe you guys didn't realize this, since all of your Wiis were updated from the first minute. For some reason, out of the box, full SD support isn't available.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2006, 02:31:27 AM »
Hey Mr. Jack,

Did the Excite Truck save transfer work?  I have yet to get a save transfer to work on the two different fully updated Wiis that have been in my possession.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2006, 09:46:30 AM »
Yup, I had no problem, though ET is the only game I tried with.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2006, 04:11:58 AM »
Regarding the latest mailbag - specifically the stuff about satellite internet...

It is my understanding that satellite internet services offer broadband speeds comparable to DSL and the average user (e-mail, surfing the web, downloading, etc.) wouldn't know the difference. It is not recommended for on-line gaming because of the amount of time if it takes (1 second+) to send data from your modem to the satellite and back down to earth to your opponent(s) on the other side. It creates additional lag in gaming only, or so I've heard.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2007, 06:35:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Mailbag
I wonder if Nintendo is so pre-occupied with the demand for component cables that they totally neglected on producing any S-Vids. Anyways, if the cable isn't listed for sale at Nintendo, then I have serious doubts you'll be able to find them anywhere else. Does anyone out there have S-Video cables?
I e-mailed Nintendo a few weeks ago and they told me that official S-video cables will be available in mid-February.

However, there are several third-party cables already available.  Check out Professional 666's great S-video and Component cable thread for lists, impressions, etc.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!