Author Topic: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 23225 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 05:26:06 AM »
I had some comments about different things and I'll just have to reread later and address those.  As for the announcement I always thought by September as well.  In all actuallity Maybe the first week at the latest.  TGS be to late and as it's been mentioned time and again Nintendo has no public plan to have a presence there.  As for the Online stuff they really should announce something.  Even if it's just the Virtual Console layout.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
RE:The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2006, 07:38:35 AM »
Regarding the McDonald's Hot Coffee lawsuit mentioned in today's mailbag:  This has been blown so far out of proportion, that few actually know the truth anymore.  All the facts regarding the case can be found here.  However, here are some interesting facts garnered from said page:

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700
claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims
involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This
history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of
this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants
advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to
maintain optimum taste.  He admitted that he had not evaluated the
safety ramifications at this temperature.  Other establishments sell
coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is
generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company
actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185
degrees, plus or minus five degrees.  He also testified that a burn
hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above,
and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured
into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn
the mouth and throat.  The quality assurance manager admitted that burns
would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing
the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiffs' expert, a scholar in thermodynamics applied to human skin
burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full
thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds.  Other testimony
showed that as the temperature decreases toward 155 degrees, the extent
of the burn relative to that temperature decreases exponentially.  Thus,
if Liebeck's spill had involved coffee at 155 degrees, the liquid would
have cooled and given her time to avoid a serious burn.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2006, 07:43:41 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed at the continual use of a perfectly valid lawsuit as an example of the problem of frivolous lawsuits.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2006, 08:53:48 AM »
It's like I've always said after finding this out, McDs should've been responsible to pay for the damages, her legal fees, and a bit of compensation (100K or less), but that's it. The payout, over 1 million IIRC, was ridiculous because regardless of the temperature of the coffee, the fact is that it's still COFFEE! The cup was warm no? Surprise! Contents may be hot! Go figure hmm?
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2006, 09:39:19 AM »
Pryo is gonna get banned for being "political"

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2006, 09:53:10 AM »
The idea behind high punitive damages is pretty simple.  McDonald's, in this example, had already been through the legal system with similar suits hundreds of times.  It was a line item on the balance sheet to them.  They viewed causing injury to a small number of people as the cost of doing business.  The only way to make sure such behavior stops is to increase the cost of injuring people enough for it to make a dent in the bottom line of a corporation richer than many countries.  Of course, this is where the problem comes from, since unscrupulous types see the size of the punitive awards and get huge cartoon dollar signs in their eyes.  I figure that since the point of the suit is to compensate the injured person, there's really no need for the punitive damages to go to that person as well as the compensatory damages.  I don't feel particularly good about it going to the government, but it's the only other party involved.  Maybe it could go into a special fund dedicated to helping people who can't afford good legal representation.  Anyway, I'm done risking the wrath of mod for discussing politics now.  Sorry.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2006, 11:40:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Jensen

I'm sure there will be “point and shoot" Wii games that don't have an on-screen aiming reticule

There won't be

I thought this too, but then, in ign's preview of Super Monkey Ball:

Asteroid Crash, on the other hand, had you calibrate your Wii-mote before going into the game, shooting down incoming asteroids to the Monkey Space Station with the A button.

Which would seem to suggest you can use the wiimote as a lightgun. But it's hard to say for sure, because they're being so damn vague. What did calibration entail? Was there still an on-screen reticule?

Seriously, I'm beginning to suspect Nintendo is paying journalists to not notice things so Sony won't steal their ideas. Remember when the first demo of Metroid Prime Revolution was shown, and everyone was saying 'it was so intuitive, I didn't even notice how it controlled'?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
Actually McDonald did settle those types of cases out of court most of the time.  This one they weren't so she took them to court.  What won the verdict was that it was proven that McDonalds kept their Coffee about 20 Degrees hotter then everyone else.  Meaning that it would instantly burn someone and cause series damage.  That's why she won that one.  Now I don't know what was up with the hot pickle case and the whole concept of the Vegeterian turn Meat eater in Super Size me make me never want to see it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2006, 05:31:24 AM »
well nintendo could use punkbuster for wii, program is only like 5meg and updates every week or so
seems it can be coded into games by updates, so maybe in future against noob kids

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2006, 10:59:09 AM »
As far as I know, Nintendo has pretty much no protection for DS WiFi. I'd expect cheating to get worse once people can use an Action Replay to cheat.
And cheating should be lessened on the Wii if Nintendo just does what Microsoft dis for the Xbox: sign games, and check the bios hash. Of course, that didn't eliminate cheating, especially in Halo 2. Hopefully Nintendo games won't attract as many cheaters/jackasses as Halo.

Offline zero64

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2006, 06:50:21 PM »

The only way to go to the DS menu screen in auto mode is to take out the DS game card (and GBA game if you have one in) before turning on the system. That's why I think manual mode is better, because if I need to change some settings I don't need to take anything out.
NINJA EDIT by TYP: Don't listen to Windy. To access the menu in auto mode, hold down Start as you turn on the DS (while it is loading the health warning). Manual mode is still better, though, since you'd have to access the menu anyway (or remove the DS card) to load a GBA game.

A quick correction to the correction:
Hold B to start a GBA game, even if the DS card is in. Because of this and being able to press Start to get to the menu (thank you Nintendo!), I prefer auto mode.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 07:42:11 PM »
I prefer manual mode because I don't wear a watch.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2006, 07:56:04 PM »
Huh, I guess I never correctly tried with all face buttons.  I did check, but I'm not surprised I was sloppy with one of the face buttons.  But I too like to see the time :-)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2006, 01:15:12 AM »
As far as I know, Nintendo has pretty much no protection for DS WiFi. I'd expect cheating to get worse once people can use an Action Replay to cheat.

Depends. In a P2P game you'd simply desync because your simulation follows different rules than everyone else's. In a S-C game you can only cheat as the server, cheating with the client won't do jack as the server's simulation takes precedence.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2006, 06:02:48 AM »
First off, he wasn't a Vegan before Super Size Me.

After the film's release, it was rumored that Spurlock was a vegetarian prior to filming the documentary, leading critics to argue that his body was unable to adjust to the two completely different eating styles. However, while his girlfriend is vegan, and although he used a refined vegan diet to "detox" after his 30-day diet of food found only on a McDonald's menu, Spurlock himself was not a vegan. The end of the film states that after his detox diet, he went back to eating meat.

That said, I haven't seen the movie and still don't have any desire to.  You eat nothing but McDonald's and you get fat.  Duh.  I don't need to pay to sit through a two hour movie to tell me that.

As for the coffee thing... Duh, Coffee is hot.  I don't care if it's 140 degrees or 200 degrees, it's hot and the cup isn't going between my legs.  I ain't risking my boys, ya know.

As per the temperature of coffee, The National Coffee Association of U.S.A., Inc. (NCAUSA.org) says the following:

Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction.

Brewed coffee should be enjoyed immediately!
Pour it into a warmed mug or coffee cup so that it will maintain its temperature as long as possible.

If it will be a few minutes before it will be served, the temperature should be maintained at 180 - 185 degrees Fahrenheit.

So... duh, coffee is hot.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Hey Windy, in the last mailbag the guy with dialup was asking about taking his Wii to a friends house and downloading VC games, not downloading them on his friend's Wii.  

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2006, 09:32:44 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Hey Windy, in the last mailbag the guy with dialup was asking about taking his Wii to a friends house and downloading VC games, not downloading them on his friend's Wii.

Originally mailbagged by: WindyMan
The method you described to download (I assume) Virtual Console games by taking your system to a broadband-equipped buddy would be a good idea.  But you won't be able to just copy over the games that your friends purchased to your system and then take them home.

Question answered, then further elaborated on.  Just answering the question isn't really answering the question.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »
see this is what happens when I read the mailbag at 6 something in the morning. I miss the little details.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2006, 03:22:24 PM »

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to wait until the second wave of Wii games before that happens. You see, the tools developers need to set up LAN games are the same ones used to get online games running...and apparently, developers don't have those tools yet. If they don't know how to get an online game working, they can't get LAN games working. To a developer, they are essentially the same thing. I don't know of any current Wii game that will support the feature, but we may hear more about it in the future.
Well. There were quite a few DS games at launch and until the WiFi connection launched which made full use of the wireless LAN capabilities (many of them even with single cart play). The Metroid Prime: Hunters demo even had this. Granted, the Wii is a console and it may be a bit different, but I'm still willing to bet that developers are able to make use of those functions without having online tools.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2006, 05:40:24 PM »
At the very least Developers should be able to do it the same way Sega did it for PSO.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2006, 08:06:34 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Well. There were quite a few DS games at launch and until the WiFi connection launched which made full use of the wireless LAN capabilities (many of them even with single cart play). The Metroid Prime: Hunters demo even had this. Granted, the Wii is a console and it may be a bit different, but I'm still willing to bet that developers are able to make use of those functions without having online tools.

With the DS, every game had wireless multiplayer from the start, but no Wi-fi service to do it online.  The tools were there, but the network was not.  You can't program an online game until you know the specifics of the network interface.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2006, 03:59:45 AM »
"picture a wheel in the shape of a four-sided square"

GOLDEN

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2006, 05:04:06 AM »

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the new PGC. We understand that everyone wants to know what our new name will be and when we'll change it, but please understand in return that there are a lot of things we need to do behind the scenes in order to make such a change. So please, bear with us. (And stop asking!) It will be worth it, I promise.

Geesh, did you guys take a course in Marketing and Sercrets taught by Nintendo?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2006, 06:47:55 AM »
I would suspect the "sync" button on the controller would not normally be needed.  If you look at other wireless devices, such as keyboards and mice, they all have sync buttons.  However, generally they will be recognized even without using the sync button.  The sync button is just there in case something goes wrong.  This is especially true with newer ones.  I think it would probably be the case with the Wii as well.  Normally it would detect whatever remotes are present and they would just work.  However, if for whatever reason the connection is lost and the system cannot re-establish it automatically, you would be able to force it to establish the connection using the sync buttons.  If that is the case then the hard-to-reach position of the sync buttons makes sense, and is perfectly in line with the location of the sync button on other wireless devices.

It might also be an issue if there are more than four remotes in the room, although I suspect that since Nintendo is expecting people to take their remotes with them to friends' houses the system will have a more user-friendly method of dealing with too many remotes (such as an on-screen display asking people to press buttons on the remote one after another to assign them to the 4 player slots).  
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2006, 08:33:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
"picture a wheel in the shape of a four-sided square"

GOLDEN

Squares can have more than four sides.  Ever see a Rubix Cube?

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Geesh, did you guys take a course in Marketing and Sercrets taught by Nintendo?

My lawyer has advised me to not answer this question.