Author Topic: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 23425 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« on: July 09, 2006, 06:44:30 PM »
Hey everyone.  If you're reading this, you have just come from the weekly mailbag update and want to leave a comment about the update, point out a gross error by the Mailbag Editor, or just want to add something to a topic that was addressed in the weekly 'bag.  Feel free to do so in this thread.

Please, do not ask mailbag questions in this thread.  Send in an email if you want to do that.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Moto Yugota

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »
Re: your comments about the Buffalo USB adapter and the Nintendo adapter

The Buffalo adapter that you mention in the mailbag is absolutely NOTHING like the Nintendo adapter.  All that is is a USB wireless network adapter.  It might look like the Nintendo adapter (haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure), but it also looks like my USB flash drive and half a dozen other USB devices nowadays.  You can't use that to connect your DS/Wii to the internet just like you can't use the Nintendo adapter to give your PC access to your existing wireless network.

If you looked at the picture on the page that you linked to, you can clearly see a wireless router and the Buffalo adapter communicating with each other.  Seems pretty obvious to me, even if you don't read the description of the item.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »
Yes. Windy, it says right on the back of the box that it only works with the Nintendo DS.  It probably will work with Wii too, but you can't hook in your laptop or anything.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble about the Opera Browser though

When I emailed them

Now you know my dirty secret
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 09:07:01 PM »
You can't expect NOA to encourage people to import.  They will never give a real answer to a customer sending an e-mail like that.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:37:06 PM »
I have a question for the bag: Will you marry me?
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 11:23:12 PM »
Evan, you're supposed to e-mail those.  Geez...
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 11:56:34 PM »

Everything I've heard from Nintendo about the latest Zelda game is they're making both a Gamecube and Wii version. That's all fine and dandy... ...but two different releases? Two different SKUs for stores? Why the hell not package both the Gamecube and Wii disc in the same case, with the same SKU?

I don't think things will be that difficult. Retailers have been dealing with multiplatform releases forever, so there shouldn't be any difficulties getting that sorted out.

It hadn't hit me before now but... Zelda has gone multiplatform.

It's a sign of the Apocalypse. I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but Iwata has doomed us all. I wonder if Nintendo can earn more money by adopting a "platform agnostic" stance? Five pillars?

Ha ha ha haa ha ha! Excuse me while I go cry.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 04:04:00 AM »
Awww... what was wrong with the first Mailbag Talkback thread?  It had my name in the first post.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 05:41:41 AM »
I think they're making a new thread for each bag, now.  On a side note, the super-great IntelliTEXT in the latest bag highlights the word "fun"... Can you guess where the link goes?

(noitareneG hcuoT odnetniN)

Maybe they're a little more intelligent than people give them credit for...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 06:46:50 AM »
Two Wii systems Boo.
A collector edition with both LoZ:TP.  If I was a collector that's what I want because I get both version to complete my collection.  Even if it's just the two saranwrapped together.
PSO.  Oh, Yeah.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 09:32:09 AM »
Windy, how come you haven't responded to my e-mail about Jonny's avatar?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 10:11:38 AM »
I fail to understand how bundling both versions of Zelda in the same package would equate to Nintendo losing money on sales? The cost to press the discs are just pennies. Packaging costs more than the discs and having a Wii SKU and a separate GameCube SKU will cost Nintendo more on disc replication in the long-run. Every unit sold, would be just that. It doesn't matter if it's GameCube or Wii, unless they are relying on GameCube owners to purchase a Wii and then "double-dip" on Zelda by buying the Wii version as well when they eventually leap to the next generation Nintendo console. That strategy could be a dangerous one, since it doesn't paint Nintendo in a positive light.

Having both discs in the same package would be a win-win for both Nintendo and their consumers. nintendo only has to design one package and not predict how many of each platform to produce copies of the game for. GameCube owners would have an incentive to purchase a Wii and Wii owners would be able to play both versions of the game to see which controller set-up they prefer for this incarnation of Zelda.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 11:50:24 AM »
Unless I have a friend (and I have several) who aren't purchasing Wiis at launch, and I decide to give him my GameCube disc for a paltry $10. I would be making more than Nintendo on this sale.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 06:14:48 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Windy, how come you haven't responded to my e-mail about Jonny's avatar?  

Because, I'm not Jonny.

Originally posted by: Rhoq
I fail to understand how bundling both versions of Zelda in the same package would equate to Nintendo losing money on sales? The cost to press the discs are just pennies. Packaging costs more than the discs and having a Wii SKU and a separate GameCube SKU will cost Nintendo more on disc replication in the long-run. Every unit sold, would be just that.

Packaging costs are trivial as well.  Since Nintendo probably gets at least $30 profit on every game sold, they make more money by keeping them separate.  No point in giving away a copy of a game that Nintendo could get another $30 profit on.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »
Yeah, and it's obviously working: I'm buying both versions (GC AND Wii). *shrug* What can I say? As a gamer and a zelda fan I want both versions and am willing to pay for 'em!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
Kai: If the Wii version can use the GameCube controller, are you still going to buy both versions?
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 09:21:15 PM »
Oh, uh... hmm...toughie.

I'm operating under the belief that it won't though.

And now that I've been operating under this assumption so long, I've really been anticipating racing my roommate who's also a Zelda fan to the finish simultaneously, just like in the movie! Wiizard!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »
If the Wii Versions only difference was that it could use the Wiimote and is Fully Orchestrated?  (This assume it keeps compatibility with the GCN Controller and the WiiClassic.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 01:43:40 PM »
omg, that guy asked if he could play Wii games on the Gamecube.  Classic.    

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »
On the subject of the Wii's D-pad and single button, I think the issue here is that "secondary" inputs have always sucked. The analogs on the Dual Shock. The D-pad and C-stick on the cube. Of course, some things make the problem worse than others (like the puny size of the Cube's D-pad). I think the Wii has the right idea in putting them close to one another, but the "freehand" style will do more to make it harder to shift your hand position than anything we've seen.

I'd like to see a D-pad on one end of the Wiimote, and a set of four buttons on the other end, so you could flip it around to make good use of either method. But I don't expect Nintendo to make any changes to it's design.

Think we'll ever see and MMORPG on the Wii? Up until now, they've seemed a little scared to leave the PC, but they really wouldn't play all that differently on a console.

I don't think it will happen. (snip)

The latest EGM says in their rumor section that Square has a Seiken Densetsu (Mana) MMORPG in the works, exclusively for the Wii.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 09:44:47 PM »
...plus the current head of NOA has said he'd like to see MMORPGS on the system.

This week's bag is bookended by concerns...with TNA

Yeah, I have concerns about Pangya Golf too!

...oh, wait, you mean the wrestling franchise.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.†- Richard M. Nixon

Offline edgeblade69

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 07:41:23 AM »
Did I seriously read what I thought I read?

A PGC reader sent in a question regarding FPSes on Wii and said:

"Nintendo has yet to make a first person shooter friendly controller..."

Umm, did they never play Nintendo 64? Goldeneye & Perfect Dark had excellent FPS controls. I believe it was the Solitaire style which utilized the C-Buttons of the N64 controller for movement and thus used the Analog Stick for "mouse-look"/aiming.
Blades will bleed. Shields will shatter, but as the light fades...Will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness reign?
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:43 AM »

Did I seriously read what I thought I read?

A PGC reader sent in a question regarding FPSes on Wii...

I think you could have stopped right there.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 04:01:05 PM »
On the topic of Nintendo dropping GB/GBC support on the Micro and DS: They could run software emulation, they just do not want to put forth the extra effort. The GBA can handle GB emulation: http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/gb_roms_on_gba.htm . I think the lack of a GBC emulator is more from lack of interest than anything else because you can just put the GBC ROM onto a flash cart and play it with the GBA's GBC hardware because it can handle an SNES emulator quite well: http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/snes_roms_on_gba.htm .

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 09:54:41 PM »
Most korean MMORPG, which are designed to work on old computers are only 100-200meg, and can run on old tnt2 and under 1ghz
Im sure a game in this style would easly be able to run on wii, but still have lovly graphics (pangya has awsome graphics and is 220meg)

Dont think the ram is a issue at all, pc games always need more ram, toruk2 for pc (which barely better then n64) needed 32ram, same with sonic heroes with 256ram  

Offline starfoxssb

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 06:29:56 AM »
Just something i wanted to bring out.In the mail bag it talked about how much ram the Wii had.Well i am assuming you are talking about the "supposed"specs from IGN.See the thing about that is the documentation was from current Wii dev kits which probably means that almost everthing that IGN reported on the Wii as more of ex.more ram.And also on i guess the current issue of Hardcore Gamer Magazine they had an intervue with Retro Studios.In the article they asked them about the hardware in the Wii.This is what they said.

Mark Pacini (Retro Studios): The graphics have been upgraded considerably. We have more memory, and with the new GPU/CPU architecture, you’re going to see a very noticeable difference in the quality of visuals.â€
So all i am saying is that the Wii probably has more memory than what was reported on by IGN.

Sorry the quote the i posted might not of been within the context that i was using it.It might of been talking about upgraded visuals of the Wii from what we saw at E3 or it might of been of what we saw on the GC.

Offline Weasel47

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »
The requirements of a MMORPG for the PC can't really be applied directly to a console.  90MB of Ram compared to 128 could easily be enough.  PC Ram requirements are always in powers of two, so a requirement of "128" doesn't mean it's using all of that.  It just means it needs more than 64.  Not only does the OS hog a lot of memory, but PC users often have a lot of other things running as well.  The difference between 128MB on the PC and 90MB on the console (if there is a difference) wouldn't be more than a few MB, and developers can easily compensate for that.

As for the HD space requirement, PC games have always been installed long-term to the Hard Drive, while console games have always streamed from the cartridges or disks.  The only thing that would have to be stored on the HD in both cases would be player-specific data, which probably takes up only a few MB even for modern PC MMORPGs. (And this is ignoring the possibility for most of the player data to be stored server-side).

After having said all that, there may be specific games for the PC that have requirements that would make them difficult to squeeze onto the Wii, but still that is in no way indicative of how well the genre would work on the Wii.  
Float like a weasel, sting like a weasel.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 10:11:36 AM »
I think I've mentioned this before but I would want an MMORPG on the wii so that the crafting system could be closer to the real thing.  that would be my biggest reason.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 10:32:26 AM »
Remote Blacksmithing for everyone!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »
I just want to thank you for finally saying what I've been trying to tell people for the longest time.

The PS3 may have its problems, they may have copied Nintendo's controller, it may cost you your first born child, but it's still the PS3, people are still going to buy because of it's name alone. They will think it will be better than everything else, simply because it is the most popular choice, much how people will buy a $300+ video ipod, when they could buy an archos gmini 402 for $240 that not only plays video, but takes them as well, along with still photographs of course. (i have one and love it, and love showing it to 2 of my idiotic friends who bought video ipods for $400, I'm going to do the say with the Wii when they buy the PS3).

So anyway, thanks. It was nice hearing someone thinking along the same lines as I do, which is rare.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
Yeah. Similar minds are hard to find.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »
I'm still not convinced that the Sony name is as strong as people try to make it out to be, it seems most gamers today don't have a big loyality for a system, but instead the games on a particular system (such as MGS or FF). Let's say for arguments sake that the Sony name is so strong, I still think the 600$ price tag will hurt sales alot, especially for younger gamers who have to get their systems through their parents.  Also you have to remember that Nintendo was once a strong brand name, and it only took one system to put them behind (the N64).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2006, 04:55:33 PM »

Originally posted by: starfoxssb
Mark Pacini (Retro Studios): The graphics have been upgraded considerably. We have more memory, and with the new GPU/CPU architecture, you’re going to see a very noticeable difference in the quality of visuals.â€
So all i am saying is that the Wii probably has more memory than what was reported on by IGN.

Sorry the quote the i posted might not of been within the context that i was using it.It might of been talking about upgraded visuals of the Wii from what we saw at E3 or it might of been of what we saw on the GC.

Retro was referring to more power compared to the GameCube and better visuals compared to the first two Metroid Prime games.

The Wii hardware should be finalized by now.  There shouldn't be much difference with the guts of the console between then and now, and Nintendo certainly isn't going to add a significant amount of system RAM.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2006, 09:38:39 PM »

The PS3 may have its problems, they may have copied Nintendo's controller, it may cost you your first born child, but it's still the PS3, people are still going to buy because of it's name alone. They will think it will be better than everything else, simply because it is the most popular choice
As VG mentioned, what about the N64? And it had some of the best games ever made... don't think we'll be able to say the same about the PS3.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2006, 10:57:31 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

The PS3 may have its problems, they may have copied Nintendo's controller, it may cost you your first born child, but it's still the PS3, people are still going to buy because of it's name alone. They will think it will be better than everything else, simply because it is the most popular choice
As VG mentioned, what about the N64? And it had some of the best games ever made... don't think we'll be able to say the same about the PS3.

After thinking about this a bit more, this is actually Sony's first console where they are coming to the party late. With both PS1 (Saturn was not much competition) and PS2 Sony was the first on the block with a next generation system, they no longer will have that luxury either. I'm not sure the Sony brand name has been really tested, so I think it is jumping the gun a bit to completely doom it or give it the benefit of the doubt to suceed. All we have his history, and PS3 is shaping up to be on a similar track N64 was on, relying on brand name, giving customers the finger (with PS3 this would be the price), and launching after everyone else.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2006, 08:32:31 PM »

The N64 was still a viable console and publishers still made money off of it.  Not very much money, but games were somewhat profitable on it.  The PS3 may turn out to be the same way.  Enough people will own it to where developers need to make games for it, but the profit generated from it could be almost more trouble than it's worth.

We won't know for sure until a few years after the PS3 launch, though.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2006, 04:32:34 AM »

Hola Mr. Windyman,

In the July 16th bag, Mysteryman wrote in asking about GBA multiplayer on the DS. You responded "once a game boots in GBA mode, the DS becomes a Game Boy Advance without a link cable port. DS games can access GBA the cartridge slot, but only if the DS card was booted and the system is running in DS mode".

That got me thinking, while almost certainly impractical, do you think it would be possible for Nintendo to release a DS cartridge that told the system to access the GBA port and play the game using the DS' wireless capabilities for multiplayer? I'm sure it's not a commercially viable product, but I'm just curious if it's possible.

Vudu

I've been thinking about this lately, and I don't think it would work in the end. Even if DS hardware allowed GBA games to access the wireless functionality, multiplayer GBA games would have a problem. GBA games expect a wired link between GBA systems, providing a solid, stable connection. A wireless link can't guarantee that, so the slightest bit of network instability would screw up a game. We all thought that the wireless GBA link adapter would let us play all multiplayer GBA games without the cable, but it turned out it only worked with games that were programmed to work with a wireless connection. It would be the same deal for multiplayer GBA games on the DS.

Lies!  It's all lies!  Sorta!

Don't forget the Majesco Wireless Adapter...  It's not perfect by any means, but it does very much get the job done for the majority of GBA games I've played with it (in two player mode, at least).  With Nintendo's superior knowledge about the DS and it's wireless communication protocol along with the superior wireless communication protocol of the DS, I actually think this might be quite possible.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2006, 06:23:57 AM »
Just thought I'd swing by and say that last time I played SSBM? I coud menu navigate with D-Pad, that is all.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2006, 12:08:41 PM »
i dont think the sony name on the console is as strong as anyone thinks. the last time i heard anyone say sony is the sh!t because its SONY was some 12 year old kid who didnt know any thing on his own and instead relied on what any older "kewl" person had said. that older "kewl" person probably only said such a thing because it was the system that had the game her prefered to play on it.

as was stated before, loyalty is among a game franchise. i know people  that only own xbox for halo because they claim it as being the best game to ever grace the earth, but talk trash about the rest of the games and prefer their ps2. im sure we all know atleast one person like that.

those said 12 year olds that think sony is the sh!t are the ones who rely on mom and dad to buy their console, and even if they threw the biggest fit imaginable, how many parents would really break down and buy a $600 "video game console". most parents know ziltch about video games and would think it was ridicoulous to pay such an absurd amount for something their kid already has "a video game console".

price will affect the ps3 and its games. the ps1 was the cheaper system so it wasnt that hard of a hit on a parents wallet. its easy to forget sometimes that its not just your demographic that plays games. just because you might be a 15-20 year old male and a gamer doesnt mean everyone else who is 15-20 owns a ps2. theres plenty of 10 year olds out there who wanted to be cool like the kids they look up to and have a ps2 and got their parents to buy one. when ps3 launches its gonna be hard for any younger gamer to own unless their 15-20 something brother gets it.

wii is the system thats in a position to be very succesful due to its price alone. come xmas when parents are scrambling to buy their kids that "new video game thing" and the ps3 has shortages or sold out, they are going to walk away with Wii. even if the retailer has ps3 in stock, when they got there and see the price tag... their going for the Wii. then when the gamers out there that buy their on consoles want to branch out and get a second system, we all know its going to be Wii. if you own 360 now, the only reason you'd want to own a ps3 is for an exclusive game. seems like alot of those exclusives that sell so well for sony are coming to 360, so why spend so mu ch on a ps3? their going to buy a wii for curiosities sake and get hooked.

that and nintendo needs rappers to rap about them. i heard a lot of rappers back in the day that would talk about their playstatoin, and show off their ps1/2s on Cribs. nintendo needs to give some wii's away to rappers and Pimp my Ride. i only saw on gamecube on pimp my ride, though ps2s seemed like a standard.  
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2006, 05:17:27 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Hola Mr. Windyman,

In the July 16th bag, Mysteryman wrote in asking about GBA multiplayer on the DS. You responded "once a game boots in GBA mode, the DS becomes a Game Boy Advance without a link cable port. DS games can access GBA the cartridge slot, but only if the DS card was booted and the system is running in DS mode".

That got me thinking, while almost certainly impractical, do you think it would be possible for Nintendo to release a DS cartridge that told the system to access the GBA port and play the game using the DS' wireless capabilities for multiplayer? I'm sure it's not a commercially viable product, but I'm just curious if it's possible.

Vudu

I've been thinking about this lately, and I don't think it would work in the end. Even if DS hardware allowed GBA games to access the wireless functionality, multiplayer GBA games would have a problem. GBA games expect a wired link between GBA systems, providing a solid, stable connection. A wireless link can't guarantee that, so the slightest bit of network instability would screw up a game. We all thought that the wireless GBA link adapter would let us play all multiplayer GBA games without the cable, but it turned out it only worked with games that were programmed to work with a wireless connection. It would be the same deal for multiplayer GBA games on the DS.

Lies!  It's all lies!  Sorta!

Don't forget the Majesco Wireless Adapter...  It's not perfect by any means, but it does very much get the job done for the majority of GBA games I've played with it (in two player mode, at least).  With Nintendo's superior knowledge about the DS and it's wireless communication protocol along with the superior wireless communication protocol of the DS, I actually think this might be quite possible.

And on top of it all Vudu's "question" was discussed over 2 years ago!

In this thread

You were thinking?  More like you were stealing! (Or is it that great minds think alike?)  

I think the real problem with this is that I doesn't make financial sense for Nintendo to develop.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2006, 06:02:23 PM »
>I think the real problem with this is that I doesn't make financial sense for Nintendo to develop.

Exactly.  I would totally buy one (if not four) of a DS card that would allow multi-player GBA games on the DS, but it'd be a hard sell for most people - and, ideally, it'd probably cost at least $20 retail - which wouldn't help things...  It'd be better than Nintendo's GBA wireless adapter that's $20 and works for about a dozen games though...

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2006, 07:13:23 PM »

I'm sure there will be “point and shoot" Wii games that don't have an on-screen aiming reticule

There won't be, and here is why:

1. Screen size.  Some screens will be too big.  When you point to the upper left of a big TV to calibrate the Wiimote, the Wiimote won't see the IR bar.  On small screens, there won't be enough accuracy.  The game would play better with certain TV sizes.

2. The IR bar would have to be in the same plane as the TV.  If is a few inches in front of the TV the calibration would be messed up if you moved laterally in any direction.

3. You'd have to sit/stand directly in front of the TV anyway.  Any lateral movement left/right or up/down changes the shape of the TV from a rectangle to a quadrilateral that isn't a rectangle any more.  The IR bar is 1 dimensional, so it can't be used as a reference for a 2D shape in a 3D world.

And when I say IR bar, I am talking about what others call the "sensor bar".  But that is a misnomer, because it has no sensors, it is an output device only, a point of reference.

How it could be done is to have the cursor set in the middle of the screen, and by moving the remote up, down, left and right, it would move the game camera in the same way, much like how an analog stick works.

Umm... isn't that the way all Wii games with first person aiming work?  Except that there is a dead zone in which the cursor can move some.  A joystick is self centering, so it would be better to just use 2 analog sticks than using the Wiimote to emulate an analog stick.    

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2006, 08:59:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
You were thinking?  More like you were stealing! (Or is it that great minds think alike?)  
Alright, I admit it, I stole the idea.  Happy?  (Seriously, how the Hell am I supposed to recall a thread from nearly two years ago?

Also, I'd just like to point out, that the idea wasn't even yours, it belonged to someone called Tunnelvision456.  And he probably stole it from someone else.  So there.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2006, 04:13:40 AM »
I know a lot of people keep giving Nintendo gripe for only selling the cables online, however, has anyone given thought to the idea that perhaps Nintendo tried to sell them in stores but no stores were interested?  I mean, it's a rare occasion that I see Sony or MS branded Component Cables in stores, and with the so-called "underpowered" kiddah GameCube, I can see stores passing on this particular accessory.

Why the heck thrid parties never made a GCN-compatible cable, I'll never know.

Anywhoo, for a while, I know that you could call Nintendo for a Component Cable even though their website said they were Out of Stock.  This was a precaution so people wouldn't order the cable just to find out that they couldn't use it - supposedly they were getting a lot of returns on it.  Also, last thing I knew, the Nintendo World Store in NYC stocked them...

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2006, 09:12:52 AM »

I mean, it's a rare occasion that I see Sony or MS branded Component Cables in stores, and with the so-called "underpowered" kiddah GameCube, I can see stores passing on this particular accessory.

Of course it'd be rare at this point, but during the prime years of the PS2 and Xbox you could walk in to any store and get the component cables on the spot.  I got my PS2 component cables from Wal-Mart about two years ago.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »

Also, last thing I knew, the Nintendo World Store in NYC stocked them...
really???

T_T

I'm going to slit my wrists with a cookie....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2006, 09:30:58 AM »
Yep and when PSO was released you could walk into Walmart and buy a modem or Network adapter because thats where I got mine.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2006, 05:50:51 PM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

I mean, it's a rare occasion that I see Sony or MS branded Component Cables in stores, and with the so-called "underpowered" kiddah GameCube, I can see stores passing on this particular accessory.

Of course it'd be rare at this point, but during the prime years of the PS2 and Xbox you could walk in to any store and get the component cables on the spot.  I got my PS2 component cables from Wal-Mart about two years ago.

Sony and MS branded?  I've seen plenty of the third party ones, but the 1st party ones... I don't see them very often...

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2006, 05:14:04 AM »

Ten days from now Nintendo is going to speak at the German Games Conference. “Wii Prove Our Promise," their presentation is entitled. They promised that the Wii would change how we play games forever, and they promised us that playing is believing. Well, they pretty much nailed down the second part of that at E3, so whatever they say in Germany will probably confirm how exactly Nintendo is going to change games for the long haul. The only thing I can think that would satisfy their thesis is Wii's online plans. Nintendo hasn't given us any solid details on WiiConnect24, Virtual Console, or their general plans for online games. There's a good chance they still have some surprises for online, too. Nintendo must have something in the way of an online strategy that will help to change the way we play games, and we may get to see it when they speak to the world.

Since I'm guessing they'll spill the online beans, I don't think they'll have the exact launch details at the show. I think it would be better to announce that in Japan at Tokyo Game Show next month, when they have a stronger grasp of how many units they'll have available, what they should include with the system and what the best price would be. The launch day, the price and a list of launch titles would be in that announcement. Nintendo could reveal that info in Germany as well, though. Really, the last pieces of the Wii puzzle are online details and launch details, and I'm confident that we'll get one piece of it in Leipzig and the other in Tokyo. We'll all find out together!

On-line strategy is a must. XBox Live is a huge part of the 360. The PS3 will have something similar. I don't think the Wii will be taken seriously by many gamers until Nintendo can at least show that they have thought out their interface. They have to be able to offer a comparable on-line experience.

Remembering back to Iwata's original comments...

(From IGN) June 7, 2006 - During a Japanese marketing event held on Wednesday, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that Wii's price and release date would be revealed by September.

Nintendo has previously stated that Wii would "not exceed $250" and would be released in the "fourth quarter" of this year.

After this information hit all of the news sites, "by September" got twisted into "sometime in September". To me this always meant "prior to September 1st". Honestly the Tokyo Game Show will be a little late to announce this vital information, especially if the plan is to launch the Wii only one month after TGS. Announcing this next week (in Leipzig) will give Nintendo and retailers 2 months to prepare the launch and give them more than enough time to ensure that the launch goes smoothly.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 05:26:06 AM »
I had some comments about different things and I'll just have to reread later and address those.  As for the announcement I always thought by September as well.  In all actuallity Maybe the first week at the latest.  TGS be to late and as it's been mentioned time and again Nintendo has no public plan to have a presence there.  As for the Online stuff they really should announce something.  Even if it's just the Virtual Console layout.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2006, 07:38:35 AM »
Regarding the McDonald's Hot Coffee lawsuit mentioned in today's mailbag:  This has been blown so far out of proportion, that few actually know the truth anymore.  All the facts regarding the case can be found here.  However, here are some interesting facts garnered from said page:

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700
claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims
involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This
history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of
this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants
advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to
maintain optimum taste.  He admitted that he had not evaluated the
safety ramifications at this temperature.  Other establishments sell
coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is
generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company
actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185
degrees, plus or minus five degrees.  He also testified that a burn
hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above,
and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured
into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn
the mouth and throat.  The quality assurance manager admitted that burns
would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing
the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiffs' expert, a scholar in thermodynamics applied to human skin
burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full
thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds.  Other testimony
showed that as the temperature decreases toward 155 degrees, the extent
of the burn relative to that temperature decreases exponentially.  Thus,
if Liebeck's spill had involved coffee at 155 degrees, the liquid would
have cooled and given her time to avoid a serious burn.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2006, 07:43:41 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed at the continual use of a perfectly valid lawsuit as an example of the problem of frivolous lawsuits.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2006, 08:53:48 AM »
It's like I've always said after finding this out, McDs should've been responsible to pay for the damages, her legal fees, and a bit of compensation (100K or less), but that's it. The payout, over 1 million IIRC, was ridiculous because regardless of the temperature of the coffee, the fact is that it's still COFFEE! The cup was warm no? Surprise! Contents may be hot! Go figure hmm?
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2006, 09:39:19 AM »
Pryo is gonna get banned for being "political"

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2006, 09:53:10 AM »
The idea behind high punitive damages is pretty simple.  McDonald's, in this example, had already been through the legal system with similar suits hundreds of times.  It was a line item on the balance sheet to them.  They viewed causing injury to a small number of people as the cost of doing business.  The only way to make sure such behavior stops is to increase the cost of injuring people enough for it to make a dent in the bottom line of a corporation richer than many countries.  Of course, this is where the problem comes from, since unscrupulous types see the size of the punitive awards and get huge cartoon dollar signs in their eyes.  I figure that since the point of the suit is to compensate the injured person, there's really no need for the punitive damages to go to that person as well as the compensatory damages.  I don't feel particularly good about it going to the government, but it's the only other party involved.  Maybe it could go into a special fund dedicated to helping people who can't afford good legal representation.  Anyway, I'm done risking the wrath of mod for discussing politics now.  Sorry.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2006, 11:40:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Jensen

I'm sure there will be “point and shoot" Wii games that don't have an on-screen aiming reticule

There won't be

I thought this too, but then, in ign's preview of Super Monkey Ball:

Asteroid Crash, on the other hand, had you calibrate your Wii-mote before going into the game, shooting down incoming asteroids to the Monkey Space Station with the A button.

Which would seem to suggest you can use the wiimote as a lightgun. But it's hard to say for sure, because they're being so damn vague. What did calibration entail? Was there still an on-screen reticule?

Seriously, I'm beginning to suspect Nintendo is paying journalists to not notice things so Sony won't steal their ideas. Remember when the first demo of Metroid Prime Revolution was shown, and everyone was saying 'it was so intuitive, I didn't even notice how it controlled'?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.†- Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
Actually McDonald did settle those types of cases out of court most of the time.  This one they weren't so she took them to court.  What won the verdict was that it was proven that McDonalds kept their Coffee about 20 Degrees hotter then everyone else.  Meaning that it would instantly burn someone and cause series damage.  That's why she won that one.  Now I don't know what was up with the hot pickle case and the whole concept of the Vegeterian turn Meat eater in Super Size me make me never want to see it.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2006, 05:31:24 AM »
well nintendo could use punkbuster for wii, program is only like 5meg and updates every week or so
seems it can be coded into games by updates, so maybe in future against noob kids

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2006, 10:59:09 AM »
As far as I know, Nintendo has pretty much no protection for DS WiFi. I'd expect cheating to get worse once people can use an Action Replay to cheat.
And cheating should be lessened on the Wii if Nintendo just does what Microsoft dis for the Xbox: sign games, and check the bios hash. Of course, that didn't eliminate cheating, especially in Halo 2. Hopefully Nintendo games won't attract as many cheaters/jackasses as Halo.

Offline zero64

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2006, 06:50:21 PM »

The only way to go to the DS menu screen in auto mode is to take out the DS game card (and GBA game if you have one in) before turning on the system. That's why I think manual mode is better, because if I need to change some settings I don't need to take anything out.
NINJA EDIT by TYP: Don't listen to Windy. To access the menu in auto mode, hold down Start as you turn on the DS (while it is loading the health warning). Manual mode is still better, though, since you'd have to access the menu anyway (or remove the DS card) to load a GBA game.

A quick correction to the correction:
Hold B to start a GBA game, even if the DS card is in. Because of this and being able to press Start to get to the menu (thank you Nintendo!), I prefer auto mode.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 07:42:11 PM »
I prefer manual mode because I don't wear a watch.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2006, 07:56:04 PM »
Huh, I guess I never correctly tried with all face buttons.  I did check, but I'm not surprised I was sloppy with one of the face buttons.  But I too like to see the time :-)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2006, 01:15:12 AM »
As far as I know, Nintendo has pretty much no protection for DS WiFi. I'd expect cheating to get worse once people can use an Action Replay to cheat.

Depends. In a P2P game you'd simply desync because your simulation follows different rules than everyone else's. In a S-C game you can only cheat as the server, cheating with the client won't do jack as the server's simulation takes precedence.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2006, 06:02:48 AM »
First off, he wasn't a Vegan before Super Size Me.

After the film's release, it was rumored that Spurlock was a vegetarian prior to filming the documentary, leading critics to argue that his body was unable to adjust to the two completely different eating styles. However, while his girlfriend is vegan, and although he used a refined vegan diet to "detox" after his 30-day diet of food found only on a McDonald's menu, Spurlock himself was not a vegan. The end of the film states that after his detox diet, he went back to eating meat.

That said, I haven't seen the movie and still don't have any desire to.  You eat nothing but McDonald's and you get fat.  Duh.  I don't need to pay to sit through a two hour movie to tell me that.

As for the coffee thing... Duh, Coffee is hot.  I don't care if it's 140 degrees or 200 degrees, it's hot and the cup isn't going between my legs.  I ain't risking my boys, ya know.

As per the temperature of coffee, The National Coffee Association of U.S.A., Inc. (NCAUSA.org) says the following:

Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction.

Brewed coffee should be enjoyed immediately!
Pour it into a warmed mug or coffee cup so that it will maintain its temperature as long as possible.

If it will be a few minutes before it will be served, the temperature should be maintained at 180 - 185 degrees Fahrenheit.

So... duh, coffee is hot.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Hey Windy, in the last mailbag the guy with dialup was asking about taking his Wii to a friends house and downloading VC games, not downloading them on his friend's Wii.  

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2006, 09:32:44 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Hey Windy, in the last mailbag the guy with dialup was asking about taking his Wii to a friends house and downloading VC games, not downloading them on his friend's Wii.

Originally mailbagged by: WindyMan
The method you described to download (I assume) Virtual Console games by taking your system to a broadband-equipped buddy would be a good idea.  But you won't be able to just copy over the games that your friends purchased to your system and then take them home.

Question answered, then further elaborated on.  Just answering the question isn't really answering the question.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »
see this is what happens when I read the mailbag at 6 something in the morning. I miss the little details.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2006, 03:22:24 PM »

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to wait until the second wave of Wii games before that happens. You see, the tools developers need to set up LAN games are the same ones used to get online games running...and apparently, developers don't have those tools yet. If they don't know how to get an online game working, they can't get LAN games working. To a developer, they are essentially the same thing. I don't know of any current Wii game that will support the feature, but we may hear more about it in the future.
Well. There were quite a few DS games at launch and until the WiFi connection launched which made full use of the wireless LAN capabilities (many of them even with single cart play). The Metroid Prime: Hunters demo even had this. Granted, the Wii is a console and it may be a bit different, but I'm still willing to bet that developers are able to make use of those functions without having online tools.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2006, 05:40:24 PM »
At the very least Developers should be able to do it the same way Sega did it for PSO.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2006, 08:06:34 PM »

Well. There were quite a few DS games at launch and until the WiFi connection launched which made full use of the wireless LAN capabilities (many of them even with single cart play). The Metroid Prime: Hunters demo even had this. Granted, the Wii is a console and it may be a bit different, but I'm still willing to bet that developers are able to make use of those functions without having online tools.

With the DS, every game had wireless multiplayer from the start, but no Wi-fi service to do it online.  The tools were there, but the network was not.  You can't program an online game until you know the specifics of the network interface.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2006, 03:59:45 AM »
"picture a wheel in the shape of a four-sided square"

GOLDEN

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2006, 05:04:06 AM »

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the new PGC. We understand that everyone wants to know what our new name will be and when we'll change it, but please understand in return that there are a lot of things we need to do behind the scenes in order to make such a change. So please, bear with us. (And stop asking!) It will be worth it, I promise.

Geesh, did you guys take a course in Marketing and Sercrets taught by Nintendo?

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2006, 06:47:55 AM »
I would suspect the "sync" button on the controller would not normally be needed.  If you look at other wireless devices, such as keyboards and mice, they all have sync buttons.  However, generally they will be recognized even without using the sync button.  The sync button is just there in case something goes wrong.  This is especially true with newer ones.  I think it would probably be the case with the Wii as well.  Normally it would detect whatever remotes are present and they would just work.  However, if for whatever reason the connection is lost and the system cannot re-establish it automatically, you would be able to force it to establish the connection using the sync buttons.  If that is the case then the hard-to-reach position of the sync buttons makes sense, and is perfectly in line with the location of the sync button on other wireless devices.

It might also be an issue if there are more than four remotes in the room, although I suspect that since Nintendo is expecting people to take their remotes with them to friends' houses the system will have a more user-friendly method of dealing with too many remotes (such as an on-screen display asking people to press buttons on the remote one after another to assign them to the 4 player slots).  
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2006, 08:33:27 AM »

GOLDEN

Squares can have more than four sides.  Ever see a Rubix Cube?

Geesh, did you guys take a course in Marketing and Sercrets taught by Nintendo?

My lawyer has advised me to not answer this question.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2006, 09:13:10 AM »

GOLDEN

Squares can have more than four sides.  Ever see a Rubix Cube?
I think he was referring to this being a really good analogy.  (Which it was.)  If not, then your counterargument fails.  A Rubix Cube isn't a  square.  It's a cube.  

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
I make no comment on the analogy, I just found the statement funny and deserving of shecky's "GOLDEN" award

1) Wheels are, by most definitions, circular without corners
2) Squares are, by most definitions, rectangles with four sides of equal length (and thus four 90 deg corners)

Thus the statement is both an oxymoron and pleonasm

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »
So he should have used rectangle.  Ok lets move on.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2006, 01:07:40 PM »
You have the wrong link to this thread in the latest talkback. Anway, as to your statement 'You're obviously never going to see a Mii running around with a gun in a gory first-person shooter", why do you think that? I could definentally see some developers, like Free Radical, doing that.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »
I agree with Windy on the shooter front.  Nintendo still has to approve the use of their tech, even if a third party wants to do something like that.  In this day and age, even cartoon caricatures wouldn't be safe.  It's just not a can of worms I can see Nintendo opening.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2006, 06:18:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I agree with Windy on the shooter front.  Nintendo still has to approve the use of their tech, even if a third party wants to do something like that.  In this day and age, even cartoon caricatures wouldn't be safe.  It's just not a can of worms I can see Nintendo opening.

I'm not sure...  The Mii character config is just a configuration list like the first letter states.  

To expand the Namco example out a bit:  Picture the next Soul Calibur with a character called "You!" that would look just like your Mii profile (but drawn differently from the standard Nintendo Mii style).  So you would have an announcement of Nightmare vs. You! to start the match and a quite literal "You Win!" or "You Lose!" to close the match.  The character You! could be a take on the Charade/EdgeMaster type person (random weapon type) or they could make it so that you can fix the move set to a particular fighter.  If you can tie a name to your Mii profile, the game could display that (while still announcing "you" or "player").

I could see the same with a 3rd person shooter, and I don't see how Nintendo could restrict a developer from doing it (other than not giving the final blessing, but how often does that ever happen).  If developers jump on it, it could be a nice touch to games.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »
I'd like to play Mii in SSBB.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2006, 09:35:09 AM »
For the first question, Another good game that was not mentioned would be excite truck.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2006, 10:13:22 AM »
Isn't Excite Truck only 2-player?
GOREGASM!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2006, 04:59:27 PM »
indeed it is, but warioware is 5 player.  Wrap your head around that.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »
The 5th player operates the POWER BUTTON.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2006, 02:01:41 AM »
Responding to the 11/26 mailbag...

The Wii could definitely have DVD playback via a firmware and software update, no question. The discs are standard DVD/DVD9 now, and the hardware is more than capable of playing back quality MPEG-2 video. If the PS2 can do it, the Wii can do it. The audio would suck, due to having no true 5.1 surround though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2006, 07:25:50 AM »

From the latest mailbag

For those who don't know, "game lag" is a phenomenon that occurs with game systems connected to LCD and plasma televisions. The video signal is put through the set's video processor(s) to better the picture quality, and the milliseconds of delay this process causes can make a game's controls feel disjointed with what's happening on screen. For passive entertainment, like movies, this delay is moot. However, when you need to press a button at exactly the right moment, the lag can become a large problem.

This problem, as it turns out, it completely the fault of the display you are using. It doesn't matter that the Wii is outputting in 480i. It wouldn't be as bad, but there's also lag with progressive video feeds, the hi-def ones included. The only type of television where you can get a guaranteed lag-free gaming experience is a CRT. That's the reason why I bought a CRT HDTV. Yeah, it's big and bulky and remarkably heavy, but the picture quality is terrific.

Don't bother getting exotic video upscalers or converters. For now, you should tough it out until you can get your hands on some Wii component cables. What you really should be doing is looking at getting a better television set, one that doesn't lag up your games as much. And about those plummeting HDTV prices? You get what you pay for, kiddies.

There's an awful lot of misinformation in that post.    

The most lag-inducing thing is the TV has to do is the de-interlacing, which the question asker is forced to do due to the lack of component cables.

It is extremely likely that switching to the progressive scan cables will clear up the problem; most non-interlaced TV's like plasmas and LCDs only have lag problems with 480i signals.  

The question asker should also look in his menus to see if his TV has a "Gaming" mode which, uses a faster, sloppier deinterlacing method.

The only type of television where you can get a guaranteed lag-free gaming experience is a CRT.

No, the only way to get a guaranteed lag-free gaming experience is by doing research first.  CRT's make for nice HDTV's, but by no means are they inherently superior for gaming, namely since they're usually 1080i natively.  Any HDTV is prone to lag when converting from one resolution to another, if that TV does it poorly.  The best solution is to have the source component handle the resolution / interlacing changing, like an upscaling DVD player does.  The source material is the same resolution (480p in this case) but the DVD player does the "heavy lifting" and scales it to your TV's native resolution for you.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2006, 12:23:36 PM »
On the question in the most recent mailbag about the website click-through for accessing the internet. Of course, this would be easiest when Opera is on the Wii, but you could clone the Wii/DS's MAC address with a laptop, do the click-through, and then reset the computer's MAC address. The only way the network can identify devices is the MAC address, so it will think the Wii/DS did the click-through. (Technically, there are method that might detect that, but no one would bother.) As to how to find the MAC address... it should be on the device somewhere, if it isn't, then it would be more difficult.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2006, 02:27:58 AM »
In the mailbag that released today, I would suggest to the guy from Ireland to buy a Wii now, and maybe sell everything before you move back to Ireland. Buy an SD Card so you can back up all your game saves and then rebuy everything in Ireland. This may cost a few extra bucks in the end but you will have everything, no waiting, no importing (this may make the cost equivalent anyway).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2006, 12:54:29 AM »
"I've been having a real problem with my Wii. Aside from little inconsistencies like the way it burns through AAs, an iffy synching system, and the occasional mis-read in WiiTennis, I can't save games to my SD card. I tried my regular SanDisk 1G card that I usually keep in my camera...I can view the photos just fine, but when I go into the Data Management menu, all I see is "Wii" (with a Wii console on the button) and "Nintendo Gamecube" (GCN memory card). So I figured, "Okay, I just need an official card". So I bought one."

Error in the mailbag response for this question. The reason why this kids SD card is not operating to full capacity is because he hasn't installed any of the system updates from Nintendo. When I went home over Thanksgiving break I was trying to play Excite Truck on my brother's Wii, but I wanted to copy my save to his machine before I started playing. When I went to his Data Management window there was no option for an SD Card. I brought his machine upstairs, closer to the wireless router, and installed the updates. Brought it back downstairs and voila! SD Card support available. The mailbag response passed this part over, because maybe you guys didn't realize this, since all of your Wiis were updated from the first minute. For some reason, out of the box, full SD support isn't available.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2006, 02:31:27 AM »
Hey Mr. Jack,

Did the Excite Truck save transfer work?  I have yet to get a save transfer to work on the two different fully updated Wiis that have been in my possession.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2006, 09:46:30 AM »
Yup, I had no problem, though ET is the only game I tried with.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2006, 04:11:58 AM »
Regarding the latest mailbag - specifically the stuff about satellite internet...

It is my understanding that satellite internet services offer broadband speeds comparable to DSL and the average user (e-mail, surfing the web, downloading, etc.) wouldn't know the difference. It is not recommended for on-line gaming because of the amount of time if it takes (1 second+) to send data from your modem to the satellite and back down to earth to your opponent(s) on the other side. It creates additional lag in gaming only, or so I've heard.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2007, 06:35:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Mailbag
I wonder if Nintendo is so pre-occupied with the demand for component cables that they totally neglected on producing any S-Vids. Anyways, if the cable isn't listed for sale at Nintendo, then I have serious doubts you'll be able to find them anywhere else. Does anyone out there have S-Video cables?
I e-mailed Nintendo a few weeks ago and they told me that official S-video cables will be available in mid-February.

However, there are several third-party cables already available.  Check out Professional 666's great S-video and Component cable thread for lists, impressions, etc.