Author Topic: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 23441 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« on: July 09, 2006, 06:44:30 PM »
Hey everyone.  If you're reading this, you have just come from the weekly mailbag update and want to leave a comment about the update, point out a gross error by the Mailbag Editor, or just want to add something to a topic that was addressed in the weekly 'bag.  Feel free to do so in this thread.

Please, do not ask mailbag questions in this thread.  Send in an email if you want to do that.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Moto Yugota

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »
Re: your comments about the Buffalo USB adapter and the Nintendo adapter

The Buffalo adapter that you mention in the mailbag is absolutely NOTHING like the Nintendo adapter.  All that is is a USB wireless network adapter.  It might look like the Nintendo adapter (haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure), but it also looks like my USB flash drive and half a dozen other USB devices nowadays.  You can't use that to connect your DS/Wii to the internet just like you can't use the Nintendo adapter to give your PC access to your existing wireless network.

If you looked at the picture on the page that you linked to, you can clearly see a wireless router and the Buffalo adapter communicating with each other.  Seems pretty obvious to me, even if you don't read the description of the item.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: The NEW Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »
Yes. Windy, it says right on the back of the box that it only works with the Nintendo DS.  It probably will work with Wii too, but you can't hook in your laptop or anything.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble about the Opera Browser though

When I emailed them

Now you know my dirty secret
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 09:07:01 PM »
You can't expect NOA to encourage people to import.  They will never give a real answer to a customer sending an e-mail like that.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:37:06 PM »
I have a question for the bag: Will you marry me?
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 11:23:12 PM »
Evan, you're supposed to e-mail those.  Geez...
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 11:56:34 PM »

Everything I've heard from Nintendo about the latest Zelda game is they're making both a Gamecube and Wii version. That's all fine and dandy... ...but two different releases? Two different SKUs for stores? Why the hell not package both the Gamecube and Wii disc in the same case, with the same SKU?

I don't think things will be that difficult. Retailers have been dealing with multiplatform releases forever, so there shouldn't be any difficulties getting that sorted out.

It hadn't hit me before now but... Zelda has gone multiplatform.

It's a sign of the Apocalypse. I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but Iwata has doomed us all. I wonder if Nintendo can earn more money by adopting a "platform agnostic" stance? Five pillars?

Ha ha ha haa ha ha! Excuse me while I go cry.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 04:04:00 AM »
Awww... what was wrong with the first Mailbag Talkback thread?  It had my name in the first post.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 05:41:41 AM »
I think they're making a new thread for each bag, now.  On a side note, the super-great IntelliTEXT in the latest bag highlights the word "fun"... Can you guess where the link goes?

(noitareneG hcuoT odnetniN)

Maybe they're a little more intelligent than people give them credit for...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 06:46:50 AM »
Two Wii systems Boo.
A collector edition with both LoZ:TP.  If I was a collector that's what I want because I get both version to complete my collection.  Even if it's just the two saranwrapped together.
PSO.  Oh, Yeah.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 09:32:09 AM »
Windy, how come you haven't responded to my e-mail about Jonny's avatar?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 10:11:38 AM »
I fail to understand how bundling both versions of Zelda in the same package would equate to Nintendo losing money on sales? The cost to press the discs are just pennies. Packaging costs more than the discs and having a Wii SKU and a separate GameCube SKU will cost Nintendo more on disc replication in the long-run. Every unit sold, would be just that. It doesn't matter if it's GameCube or Wii, unless they are relying on GameCube owners to purchase a Wii and then "double-dip" on Zelda by buying the Wii version as well when they eventually leap to the next generation Nintendo console. That strategy could be a dangerous one, since it doesn't paint Nintendo in a positive light.

Having both discs in the same package would be a win-win for both Nintendo and their consumers. nintendo only has to design one package and not predict how many of each platform to produce copies of the game for. GameCube owners would have an incentive to purchase a Wii and Wii owners would be able to play both versions of the game to see which controller set-up they prefer for this incarnation of Zelda.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 11:50:24 AM »
Unless I have a friend (and I have several) who aren't purchasing Wiis at launch, and I decide to give him my GameCube disc for a paltry $10. I would be making more than Nintendo on this sale.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 06:14:48 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Windy, how come you haven't responded to my e-mail about Jonny's avatar?  

Because, I'm not Jonny.

Originally posted by: Rhoq
I fail to understand how bundling both versions of Zelda in the same package would equate to Nintendo losing money on sales? The cost to press the discs are just pennies. Packaging costs more than the discs and having a Wii SKU and a separate GameCube SKU will cost Nintendo more on disc replication in the long-run. Every unit sold, would be just that.

Packaging costs are trivial as well.  Since Nintendo probably gets at least $30 profit on every game sold, they make more money by keeping them separate.  No point in giving away a copy of a game that Nintendo could get another $30 profit on.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »
Yeah, and it's obviously working: I'm buying both versions (GC AND Wii). *shrug* What can I say? As a gamer and a zelda fan I want both versions and am willing to pay for 'em!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
Kai: If the Wii version can use the GameCube controller, are you still going to buy both versions?
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 09:21:15 PM »
Oh, uh... hmm...toughie.

I'm operating under the belief that it won't though.

And now that I've been operating under this assumption so long, I've really been anticipating racing my roommate who's also a Zelda fan to the finish simultaneously, just like in the movie! Wiizard!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »
If the Wii Versions only difference was that it could use the Wiimote and is Fully Orchestrated?  (This assume it keeps compatibility with the GCN Controller and the WiiClassic.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 01:43:40 PM »
omg, that guy asked if he could play Wii games on the Gamecube.  Classic.    

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »
On the subject of the Wii's D-pad and single button, I think the issue here is that "secondary" inputs have always sucked. The analogs on the Dual Shock. The D-pad and C-stick on the cube. Of course, some things make the problem worse than others (like the puny size of the Cube's D-pad). I think the Wii has the right idea in putting them close to one another, but the "freehand" style will do more to make it harder to shift your hand position than anything we've seen.

I'd like to see a D-pad on one end of the Wiimote, and a set of four buttons on the other end, so you could flip it around to make good use of either method. But I don't expect Nintendo to make any changes to it's design.

Think we'll ever see and MMORPG on the Wii? Up until now, they've seemed a little scared to leave the PC, but they really wouldn't play all that differently on a console.

I don't think it will happen. (snip)

The latest EGM says in their rumor section that Square has a Seiken Densetsu (Mana) MMORPG in the works, exclusively for the Wii.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 09:44:47 PM »
...plus the current head of NOA has said he'd like to see MMORPGS on the system.

This week's bag is bookended by concerns...with TNA

Yeah, I have concerns about Pangya Golf too!

...oh, wait, you mean the wrestling franchise.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline edgeblade69

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 07:41:23 AM »
Did I seriously read what I thought I read?

A PGC reader sent in a question regarding FPSes on Wii and said:

"Nintendo has yet to make a first person shooter friendly controller..."

Umm, did they never play Nintendo 64? Goldeneye & Perfect Dark had excellent FPS controls. I believe it was the Solitaire style which utilized the C-Buttons of the N64 controller for movement and thus used the Analog Stick for "mouse-look"/aiming.
Blades will bleed. Shields will shatter, but as the light fades...Will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness reign?
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:43 AM »

Did I seriously read what I thought I read?

A PGC reader sent in a question regarding FPSes on Wii...

I think you could have stopped right there.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 04:01:05 PM »
On the topic of Nintendo dropping GB/GBC support on the Micro and DS: They could run software emulation, they just do not want to put forth the extra effort. The GBA can handle GB emulation: http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/gb_roms_on_gba.htm . I think the lack of a GBC emulator is more from lack of interest than anything else because you can just put the GBC ROM onto a flash cart and play it with the GBA's GBC hardware because it can handle an SNES emulator quite well: http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/snes_roms_on_gba.htm .