Author Topic: Opera Included in Wii  (Read 7787 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Opera Included in Wii
« on: June 03, 2006, 01:50:35 PM »
An interview discloses quite a few new details about the console web browser, including its responsiveness, Wii-customized internet applications, and supported technologies.

Website Cubed3 recently interviewed Scott Hedrick, vice president of Opera for Devices, about the mysterious Opera browser for Wii.  Hedrick reveals quite a few tidbits.    

Cubed3: Will the Opera browser be embedded from launch on the 512MB internal Flash or included with the system via a memory card?    

Scott Hedrick: The Opera browser is saved to the Flash ROM on the Wii console, and does not require a separate memory card as Opera for DS does. The browser can be launched in only a few seconds, immediately delivering a great user experience.  

That's right, Wii owners can browse the internet without any additional software, much like PictoChat on Nintendo DS. Hedrick also says web applications could be tailored for Wii, and that the Opera browser can be used for more than just the internet.    

SH: In addition to being a full Web browser, Opera also serves as a presentation engine for devices, such as set-top boxes. This means that you it is possible to create dynamic Web-based applications and user interfaces using Web technology running on Opera – avoiding the use of native code such as C++. Nintendo has not released information on its specific use of Opera, but one can imagine the possibilities of what a browser can deliver to a game on a console that is always connected beyond simply browsing the Web.    

Could an online version of PictoChat (or similar communications software) be in the works using Opera technologies?    

For further comments on the Wii remote, which technologies are supported (JavaScript is confirmed), and Opera's possibilities, be sure to read the whole interview.

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Opera Included in Wii
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:54:03 PM »
Wii wins.
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »
I don't think there's gonna be an online pictochat. It's probably not very easy to write using the wiimote.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:58:42 PM »
Wow this is some awesome news. This means all the developers can take advantage of the fact that there is a web browser on board. I'm sure this will open up some more new venues in gaming. When you stop and look at the complete package of the Wii it is becoming more and more impressive.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:59:44 PM »
Why not?  Just have pictochat download to the DS via Wii and using that connectivity the DS could piggyback and join chatrooms you select via the Opera browser on Wii.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 02:03:59 PM »
But... Nintendo websites aren't Opera-friendly...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »
Yet.

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 02:34:02 PM »
Not easy to write with the Wiimote?

Dude, do you own a USB keyboard? :/

I haven't used Opera in ages - is it any good now?  
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 02:34:35 PM »

Cubed3: Will the Opera browser be embedded from launch on the 512MB internal Flash or included with the system via a memory card?

Scott Hedrick: The Opera browser is saved to the Flash ROM on the Wii console, and does not require a separate memory card as Opera for DS does. The browser can be launched in only a few seconds, immediately delivering a great user experience.

Is it just me, or was that a trick question to determine whether Opera was included with the console out of the box?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 02:36:12 PM »
This was clearly an email interview.  You can't really have a trick question in an email interview, becuase they can just not respond to it.  If Hedrick didn't want to say it was included with Wii, he could have said "Nintendo has not revealed that information about the browser yet."
Nintendo World Report

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »
Hunter cards and other such uses to the next level
check it on the Wii or your friends PC

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 05:14:51 PM »
And still their damn video podcasts dont work in opera for me.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Opera Included in Wii
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 05:36:04 PM »
When I first read the headline I thought of the Wii conductor game and made an sound of glee.  Then I realised it was about the browser.  That's good too, I guess.  I just hope it's better then the DS version they showed at E3.  This is a meaningless feature if it doesn't work well.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »
So is anyone else thinking of online storage and game save swapping?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 07:46:01 PM »
I was thinking that about the VC a long time ago. Instead of all games being saved to your system, it will keep a library saved online, and you just download the game when you want to play. For NES and SNES games, that probably would be very useful.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »
Crimm, considering the Wii and the browser are being developed at the same time (as opposed to after-the-fact with the DS), and Wii has a LOT more (and faster) RAM, I'm sure the Wii Opera browser will be much more capable.  Even though it isn't high def :-/.
Nintendo World Report

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 08:54:49 PM »
haha, thats probably the only drawback there is for lack of HD, but Im sure PGC will make a rev-friendly version of their site to be viewable in the low resolution of a normal TV

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 10:03:19 PM »

C3: Will the browser be issued with all Wii consoles or will you purchase it separately?

SH: As mentioned before, Opera will not be sold separately on a game cartridge for Wii. We would like all Wii users to be able to use Opera to surf the Internet. The details of how exactly Opera will be available for browsing within Wii have not yet been announced by Nintendo.

The browser will be hardwired into the Wii, buuuuuttt  ...  ...  ... *Opera waits for Nintendo to finish the sentence*

*They'll be waiting a long time*
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline infinitys_end

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 03:19:36 AM »
I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but I am so totally over the Internet.    
NO SIGNATURE IMAGES

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 06:36:40 AM »
What this made me think of is that people could make simple Wii games and store them on the net, for free access on the Wii via the Opera web browser.

Offline sikboy1029

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 09:12:49 AM »
They could setup the virtual console similar to steam. You could just sign in and the game would download to the flash drive until you're done and use SD cards as memory cards maybe?
Is that the best you got?

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 12:00:03 PM »
That's cool and all, but what if you had internet connection and then moved to somewhere where you don't? Can I take my games with me?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

Is it just me, or was that a trick question to determine whether Opera was included with the console out of the box?

Nintendo announced at E3 that Opera would be built in, no trick questions about that needed. His answer seems to suggest that Opera will not be included on the 512 MB internal flash, as I'm assuming there's a seperate ROM chip. I wonder if the browser is upgradable? I primarily want to know if USB keyboards will be supported. It would be horrible if they weren't

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 05:41:06 PM »
OMG! You're right!

This is confirmation of Flash ROM on the system for...upgrading firmware?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
upgrading anything that needs upgrading....not neccessarily the firmware. Maybe a new version of Opera?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer