Author Topic: Penny Arcade  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« on: February 28, 2003, 11:31:20 AM »
Alright, I am really getting sick of the badly done MS advertisements on their site in the form of comics.  I have stomached 5 out of every 10 strips of theirs being about some Xbox game or another, but today's is about Nintendo.  This is where I simply draw the line.  They can say that they are not bought out by MS all they like, but when they keep getting invited to MS events, and actually get free games from them, you have to know that something is up.  This cartoon is just the final word on it I think.

Tycho and Gabe can claim that they are not bought out all they want, but really, one good look at their latest comics speak volumes.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 12:07:02 PM »
I don't see any problems with today's comic.  PA makes comics about current gaming news events.  This analysis is news so they're going to make a comic on it.  I think that fact that Tycho is bugging Gabe about it (in the comic) shows that they're not bought out by MS or whatever.  If they were being paid off then they probably wouldn't have one of the characters trying to defend the Cube.  And besides they were making Gamecube jokes back when they were always slagging the Xbox.  It's not a new scenario or anything.

"First they said the Xbox was failing, now it's Nintendo, after that it will be the Xbox again, and then after that maybe more Nintendo." - Tycho's commentary for the comic.

Anyone bought out by Microsoft certainly wouldn't say that the Xbox would be failing again (or would even mention any previous failing).

If Microsoft really was paying them off do you think they would even cover the other systems anymore?  Or mention Zelda and Metroid in the context of being great games?

Offline MikeHrusecky

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »
As opposed to the plethora of other media sites that acquire games for their respective platforms?

I've seen many Xbox cracks on PA.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 12:28:40 PM »
no, penny arcade looks at things from the perspective of a multiconsole gamer, unbiased. On all sides. They have al;l systems, buy most all the best games they can afford, they play pc  games as well. Their just telling it how they see it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 02:58:14 PM »
Yeah, I guess so...  But the strip still bothers me.  Tycho's commentary didn't really help either.  (And yes, I did read it)

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 05:39:07 PM »
Jerry didn't say anything new, nor did Mike. It's a comic people, as in it is supposed to have HUMOR.

Offline baberg

• View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 07:39:58 PM »
This is the second time they've made a joke about the lack of games on the Gamecube.  The first was around November, I think (their site is not up now so I can't link) but it went something like this:

Tycho: Is your Gamecube broken?
Gabe: No, it works just fine.
Tycho: I thought maybe the lid was broken, because you've had Super Smash Brothers: Melee in there for the past 3 months.
Gabe: I'm going to kill you now (he does)

I laughed at that comic, and I laughed at the one today.  Because honestly, if it weren't for Skies of Arcadia, my Gamecube would be collecting dust too.  

And remember - we tease those we love.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 08:01:48 PM »
I think they've probably bashed the X-Box a hell of a lot more than they have the GameCube. As a matter of fact I was starting to come to the conclusion that out of the three they liked the GC the best. Plus haven't they poked fun of Microsoft for giving them free stuff and so forth? Frankly I'm glad that they take a jab at the GC once and awhile (it's not like they've exaggerated or flat out lied when they have) because if they didn't it would mean they are just some more biased fanboys running a website.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 09:31:35 PM »
Alright, I guess I am imagining things.  It's been a very long week, and this day topped them all off.  My Windows partition just crashed beyond repair, and I am stuck in Linux Mandrake without a root password.  *sigh*.  Ah well, can't get much worse I suppose.  My apologies to Penny Arcade anyway.

Offline G3cyco

• View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2003, 09:59:43 PM »
yeah, you're right. To me, it seems that they favor the Gamecube most. but they should pay attention to the magic hate ball.
http://www.touchdownlakers.com
"When I die, tell the media I always had a smile on my face"

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2003, 05:42:17 AM »
Thats pretty funny Ninja, Microsoft's shoddy OS forces you to use Linux....

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 07:57:32 AM »
Heh, well, I was meaning to learn how to use Linux effectively anyways.  Maybe I will keep it like this for a few days if I can find my root password.  I wasn't in the middle of playing any real PC Games, so I can live without that for a while.  I would like to use Trillian though, as no good alternative seems to exist in Linux.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2003, 02:02:24 PM »
Which im service do you use? AIM is avaiable for Linux, as well is yahoo I believe.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Penny Arcade
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 05:37:57 PM »
Actually, most of my friends are on MSN....