Author Topic: Nintendo WiFi Connection Interview  (Read 5361 times)

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo WiFi Connection Interview
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:53:42 PM »
You can discuss PGC's interview with Mr. Ohara about Nintendo WFC here.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo WiFi Connection Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 05:56:17 AM »
"if you just look at the quality—we had 128 bit WEP encryption, it’s very secure."

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... RIGHT, sure it is.

Good interview in all, I'll read it in more detail later, that statement just caught my eye.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 06:14:46 AM »
What was it? Five minutes for cracking WEP?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 07:23:51 AM »
Just do MAC authentication on your access point if your afraid of teh 1337 hax0rs.

I wish more than 4 players was possible, oh well, another reason to get a Rev.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 08:16:47 AM »
Still not unbreakable.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:28:45 AM »
No. but inconvenient enough that most people won't bother.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:04:55 AM »
lol, tell me where this magic unbreakable technology is, I'm sure everyone will buy it
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:11:46 AM »
Well before this gets into a deathspiral....

Bloodworth, while nothing is "unbreakable," if it takes you decades to calculate the correct "answer" then it is effective.  WEP is broken by design, it's been proven and demonstrated, calling it very secure is a joke.  The 'proven' technology you ask for is out there, ranging from free (SSL) to expensive (RSA Tokens).

However, my guess he was trying to imply was that WEP is fine for protecting your _game_ data.  In fact I'm not sure why you'd want to protect it at all - nothing of real value to protect.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »
They ****ed up while designing the DS's hardware in respect to WiFi, and they better know it. No WPA support and not being able to connect right through many routers. And the 2mbps connection shouldn't be what's limiting it to 4 people. I've play 16 player games (Halo 2) over a 1.5 mbps connection. It's more likely the memory and power.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Nintendo WiFi Connection Interview
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »

Originally posted by: ssj4_android
And the 2mbps connection shouldn't be what's limiting it to 4 people. I've play 16 player games (Halo 2) over a 1.5 mbps connection. It's more likely the memory and power.

And likely the amount of juice it requires, considering this is a *handheld* not an Xbox, and things like battery life are important.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »
Well, the "It all depends" card has to be played here.

For Hunters, there may be a processing issue when playing with more than 4 people.  For Tetris on the other hand, clearly having more than 4 people shouldn't be an issue.  In fact you can play up to 10 on the local wireless.  So why not 10 player matches online?  Bandwidth? the local wireless is over the same channels (figures in the same ballpark anyways).  Latency?  Not that critical that your view of the other players be 100% accurate.  So what gives?  IMO, it's they way they handled the matchmaking.  The software has a hard enough time matching up 4 people, can you imagine 10?

Personally the matchmaking software they use is really lousy.  It's almost like gamespy was running it or something.

It could be a lot better though, and since it all goes on at their servers in the sky, it's possible that current games could see an improvement later on (although your not going to magically get 10 player tetris online, well not unless someone actually does the DS tunnel thing)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »
I don't know about Metroid but my connection is always 100% fine when playing Mario Kart.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
Friend Code = Crap.  It's such a pain in the asp.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
For what Nintendo's trying to accomplish, I think they've done it near perfectly.  Including the way they handled friend codes
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »
That may be the case, but at times I think what Nintendo is trying to accomplish has less to do with games and more to do with annoying things like two warning screens about seizures when you load them and way overprotective crap like the friend codes.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 07:33:26 PM »
Well, after reading that Pictochat stalker article, I think that Nintendo HAS to have those overprotective measures; there would be a lot of backlash if they didn't. Never mind Xbox Live is a lot worse, but Nintendo always seems to get the bad publicity..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »
There was very little in Mr. Ohara's speech on Friday for those already familiar with Nintendo WFC.  However, he did note that they were aware not all routers were supported during development.  The limited RAM forced them to go with the "best" solution, meaning one that worked for the most routers. They can probably include multiple solutions to support more router types in Revolution...assuming they want to.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 08:02:56 AM »
I just wanna say that was an awesome interview. You seriously asked the best questions and he gave some damn good answers too. Just saying good job and keep it up.

Actually, to that end, we created a very easy-to-use library of tools for Nintendo WiFi Connection so that any kind of developer who’s developing a game for Nintendo DS that has multiplayer will easily be able to use those tools and take that multiplayer and make it compatible with Nintendo WiFi Connection. And we’re distributing that library free of charge to developers so that on the development side of things it’s actually not very expensive for developers to make a game WiFi compatible. And on top of that, actually, in its first year of service, for the third party, we haven’t been collecting any fees from them for operating on the WiFi Connection service.

Nintendo seems to be correcting past mistakes that jolted developers. This is definitely a move in the right direction.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 09:46:15 AM »
It is gamespy matchmaking stuff, isn't it? And the ammount of RAM limits the compatability? I thought that would be the fault of the hardware they were using. They should've been able to use better hardware to increase compatability, right? I'd imagine some people make hardware with built in WPA as well.
And as for more players taking more juice, the DS has some form of speed stepping or whatever? IE, do the processors even use less power when they're not being fully utilized?
And I don't like friend codes. I'd rather have a unified screenname that you can add people to all games with. Plus, it avoids the confusing situation of having two Matt's in one game and things like that. I hope they change it for the Revolution.
EDIT: Oh, and I wonder what they'll charge third parties after the first year.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 07:04:30 PM »
You're right, RAM was an issue with the TCP/IP stack, not the router compatibility.  Let me put it this way...my USB WiFi card is crap and doesn't work with P2P programs.  It's just a fact, one that is unfortunate, but difficult to avoid.  THere are standards, but not every company fully complies (since cutting costs is all the rage).  Establishing P2P connections differently (say, one of many ways) on the Revolution could solve this, but reduces the simplicity of Nintendo WFC setup.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi