Author Topic: [RANT] Hardware packaging  (Read 5706 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
[RANT] Hardware packaging
« on: March 14, 2006, 06:08:50 AM »
I bought myself one of those XBox 360 controllers for the PC today. Brought it home, plugged it in, ... Hey, waitaminute! Can't plug it in while it's still in the packaging. So I removed the packaging. Well, tried to. It's one of those two-sheets-of-plastic-welded-together kinds of packaging that give a wonderful view on the contents but are practically impossible to open without applying force. A lot of force. First I tried to cut the welding seam away with a pair of scissors and have the two sheets fall apart. No dice, the things are welded in a way that makes it impossible to cut the seams away, either you cut in mid seam (which doesn't help you) or you cut in mid-controller. Then I take a knife and after trying to cut the seams again simply sawed away the top part of the packaging. Using the scissors again, using some force, finally. The hardware can be removed. It's a miracle that both the hardware and the included driver CD remained undamaged. Worst packaging ever.

What the f### is wrong with Microsoft? Why can't they use packaging you can open without cutting the whole thing to shreds? PC hardware is usually packaged in those two plastic sheets, yes, but it's normally held together with a cardboard box with big holes in it to expose the hardware. You just need to open the box and the plastic comes apart automatically. But MS decides to save a few pennies on the box and produces a nightmare for the buyer.

Not that that was my first encounter with this godawful idea. Sony loves it as well. But at least I could cut through the cardboard area when I was "unwrapping" my PS2 memcard. Some crappy GC controllers are sold in the same packaging but I don't think 3rd parties are of much interest to most.

Nintendo is the only one with a clue here, simple cardboard boxes with no attempts at clear plastic windows or other gimmicks that just annoy the buyer and place a burden on our waste system. Open the carboard flap, pull out the stuff, remove plastic bags around it, good to go. No fiddling with hard and sharp-edged plastic sheets.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: [RANT] Hardware packaging
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:13:41 AM »
The plastic sheets suck because it's impossible to open them without some sort of tool.  I don't think it's fair to assume that when we buy a product that we own something to open it with.  I have nightmares of being trapped on a desert island and a crate floats ashore with everything I'll ever need to survive but it's all wrapped in that plastic crap and I starve to death trying to open it.

The worst though are scissors in plastic sheets.  So I need scissors to open the packaging for scissors?  If I already have scissors handy why would I buy another pair?

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
RE:[RANT] Hardware packaging
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 06:41:42 AM »
Unfortunately those packages not only suck, they are necessary, and also protect the consumer.

They suck because they do their job. Waterproof, theftproof, and tamperproof. All good things come with a price.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:44:39 AM »
simplest way to open those: take a box cutter and cut all along the inside of the back of the seems (sort of trace the seem), then the thin interior plastic just falls out and all the contents can easily be removed.

I once took a new (Cheap) digital camera over to a friend's house only to find he had no sharp tools of any kind, and we melted the seem off with his cigarette lighter, which worked eventually, but made kind of a mess.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »
"Unfortunately those packages not only suck, they are necessary, and also protect the consumer.

They suck because they do their job. Waterproof, theftproof, and tamperproof. All good things come with a price."

Well this isn't exactly a bottle of Aspirin here.  I can easily open FOOD with my bare hands and I think it's much more important for that to not be tampered with.  The loaf of bread I buy comes in flimsy plastic that's as thin as saranwrap but my game controller?  Oh man I can't let someone tamper with that.

Hell the consoles themselves come in cardboard boxes.  So it's okay to have low "tamper protection" on the expensive console hardware but the controller has to come in an airtight space capsule.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 07:39:22 AM »
They suck because they do their job. Waterproof, theftproof, and tamperproof. All good things come with a price.

Nope, definitely not waterproof. It wasn't welded around the hole where the poles some retailers use to hang these things on goes through. Plus it's impossible to keep the packaging intact for returns or storage. I doubt it's more theftproof than any other packaging, it's not too easy to remove the other items from their packaging either so a thief would probably steal it with packaging. And tamperproof really isn't something to worry about. You can see on other packagings whether they have been opened before.

simplest way to open those: take a box cutter and cut all along the inside of the back of the seems

Doesn't work with this one, it goes outwards at 90° right where the welding ends. So you'd have to hold the cutter parallel to the seam and risk damaging the contents.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:09:59 AM »

Hell the consoles themselves come in cardboard boxes. So it's okay to have low "tamper protection" on the expensive console hardware but the controller has to come in an airtight space capsule.
Consoles tend to be bigger, i.e. harder to shoplift.  Plus they're almost always either locked in individual security boxes or locked behind a security case.

Controllers and other accessories are smaller so they're easier to steal.  That's why they put them in over-sized, impossible to open quickly/quietly packages.  It makes it very difficult to steal.  It wouldn’t be cost effective to the retailer (or convenient to the consumer) to lock them up with the consoles.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:41:26 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Nope, definitely not waterproof. It wasn't welded around the hole where the poles some retailers use to hang these things on goes through. Plus it's impossible to keep the packaging intact for returns or storage. I doubt it's more theftproof than any other packaging, it's not too easy to remove the other items from their packaging either so a thief would probably steal it with packaging. And tamperproof really isn't something to worry about. You can see on other packagings whether they have been opened before.

simplest way to open those: take a box cutter and cut all along the inside of the back of the seems

Doesn't work with this one, it goes outwards at 90° right where the welding ends. So you'd have to hold the cutter parallel to the seam and risk damaging the contents.

Just cut along the edge, using the welding angle as a guide... I've never damaged the contents of a package doing it that way.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 08:45:46 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Hell the consoles themselves come in cardboard boxes. So it's okay to have low "tamper protection" on the expensive console hardware but the controller has to come in an airtight space capsule.
Consoles tend to be bigger, i.e. harder to shoplift.  Plus they're almost always either locked in individual security boxes or locked behind a security case.

Controllers and other accessories are smaller so they're easier to steal.  That's why they put them in over-sized, impossible to open quickly/quietly packages.  It makes it very difficult to steal.  It wouldn’t be cost effective to the retailer (or convenient to the consumer) to lock them up with the consoles.

Who cares what the retailer wants... the controllers aren't being marketed to the retailer, they're being marketed to the consumer.

Suppose Nintendo put all their controllers in cardboard boxes next generation... do you think some retailer is going to refuse to sell Nintendo controllers because they're "easier to steal"? Sega's controllers always used to come in a box, I think Nintendo should follow their example.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 09:46:49 AM »

Suppose Nintendo put all their controllers in cardboard boxes next generation... do you think some retailer is going to refuse to sell Nintendo controllers because they're "easier to steal"? Sega's controllers always used to come in a box, I think Nintendo should follow their example.
No, it just means the retailer will demand additional markup on the controllers in order to fund the new security displays they have to install in every store.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 10:04:36 AM »
No one has nightmares about being on a deserted island, and a crate of food washes ashore, but it's all in tin cans, and you don't have a can opener, but the freakin' Hispanic rodent with a sombrero does, but he won't give it to you unless you share, but you are a heartless greedy sonuvabitch, so you try to open it with stones and dropping coconuts on it, eventually tieing it to your ass and coaxing a sword fish to ram you full speed, but the rope you use gets untied in the process and it stabs you in the ass, and eventually you just give up and concede to share with the rodent, who for some reason can run much faster than you....  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 11:39:19 AM »
It seems like everything was in cardboard boxes before CD/DVD cases - games, controllers, and even the N64 memory cards. They have security cams and RFID tags on everything they don't need this ridiculous bulletproof plastic.

"Well this isn't exactly a bottle of Aspirin here. I can easily open FOOD with my bare hands and I think it's much more important for that to not be tampered with. The loaf of bread I buy comes in flimsy plastic that's as thin as saranwrap but my game controller? Oh man I can't let someone tamper with that."

>Videogames are more sacred than food/water
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »
Blister packing is indeed the spawn of the devil. All in the name of shelf presence and theft deterrence. It's always a special occasion when J-accessories arrive in the mail. Open box, remove contents, enjoy!
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 05:27:41 PM »
It's packages as such so that once you open it, they can refuse to allow you to return it because you have ruined the original package.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 03:41:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Strellit's all in tin cans, and you don't have a can opener, but the freakin' Hispanic rodent with a sombrero does

In the words of Sylvester:  "Quick! Quick! Gimme the can opener!!"

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:55:06 AM »
Don't you hate it when you buy some beef and the ****ing farmers have left it still inside the cow? I hate when that happens.

p.s. I can't even believe this thread exists. What is this planetbaby forums.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 06:12:37 AM »
"It's packages as such so that once you open it, they can refuse to allow you to return it because you have ruined the original package."

I always love that.

"I need to return this controller.  It's defective."
"Sorry you took it out of the package."
"Of course I took it out of the package.  How else can I determine if the thing works or not?"

I would appreciate it if stores didn't assume that when I return something the day after I bought it and merely wish to exchange it with the same exact item that I'm trying to pull a fast one.  It's not really much of a scam if I don't come out ahead in the end, is it?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 06:49:21 AM »
PIAC: That's not a problem, I just slash away until I have my beef. No risk of damaging any expensive hardware.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »
Those packages are horrible.  I hate them just as much as everyone else does...This was a pathetic attempt to shoehorn a related Penny Arcade Comic.  Heh, it still voices our feelings towards blister packing, but now we have visual aid.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »
Someone beat you to your pathetic attempt to shoehorn a related Penny-Arcade comic.

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Space Devil Packaging!
Here's mine.  This is you.  

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 01:37:07 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
It seems like everything was in cardboard boxes before CD/DVD cases - games, controllers, and even the N64 memory cards. They have security cams and RFID tags on everything they don't need this ridiculous bulletproof plastic.

In Australia, GC memory cards and controllers do come in regular cardboard boxes! Joy!

(PS2 and XBOX peripherals do not)
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 02:41:30 AM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps
In Australia, GC memory cards and controllers do come in regular cardboard boxes! Joy!

In Soviet Russia, memory cards YOU!

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 03:07:40 AM »
Usually you do the Mario. In Soviet Russia, however ...