Author Topic: More DS Lite Details and Comparisons  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
More DS Lite Details and Comparisons
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:42:41 AM »
Lik-Sang gets a single test unit and answers nearly all remaining questions about the system: brightness, stylus, Micro charger, battery size, etc.

Online importer Lik-Sang has received a single preview unit of the DS Lite (their full launch stock is expected in the next few days), and they have put up an extensive article with new information and comparison photos, at the link above.    

Among the observations of the final system:  

• The lowest brightness setting is as bright as the original DS.  The brightest setting may burn your retinas.  (Not really...we hope.)  
  • Unlike the original DS, the backlight on DS Lite cannot be turned completely off.  
  • The stylus is definitely longer and slightly thicker than the original DS stylus.  
  • The extension port is completely new, actually a bit smaller than the Game Boy Micro port, so you cannot use a GBM cable to recharge the DS Lite.  
  • The battery power has increased from 850 mAh to 1000 mAh, hence the longer battery life at low brightness.  
  • GBA cartridges do not fit flush into the system; they actually stick out, maybe 1/4 an inch.  This must be why Nintendo is including a cover for the slot; you wouldn't want to leave a GBA game inserted unless you are actively playing it.

• THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Magus19

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    RE: More DS Lite Details and Comparisons
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:30:43 AM »
    Hmmm, GBA cart sticking out.... I am now happy to have the old model, for that and the power adapter.
    RotD
    Old School RPG Project, currently recruiting!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 06:39:20 AM »
    "The brightest setting may burn your retinas."

ZOMG!! VIRTUAL BOY 2!!!111 lol

I don't like the GBA game sticking out either.  I like how snug everything fits on the normal model.

Hopefully since they use different battery cables they don't outright replace the DS with this model or at least the original cables don't become too obscure in case any of us have to replace them.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:06:49 AM »
    Ian, you can still order NES cables from Nintendo.com, so no need to worry there.
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
    RE:More DS Lite Details and Comparisons
    « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:29:19 AM »
    "Unlike the original DS, the backlight on DS Lite cannot be turned completely off. "

Sounds like the screens are completely backlit now instead of still being reflective and backlit like the original DS model.  The unfortunate thing here is that it sounds like the screens will completely die outside, whereas on the original model under good lighting it was still visible and in some cases looked better than it did with backlighting.  I wonder, since you can't turn off the backlight on the SP mkII, does that die outside too?  And I wonder what'll happen in Viewtiful Joe?  That game has an option to turn off the backlighting as well as Ashpalt Urban GT and I wonder if that'll screw with them in any way.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:31:40 AM »
    The GBA cart sticking out and the new recharge cable are the only downsides I see.
    The GBA cart isn't that big of an issue since I tend to still use my GBA:SP to play GBA games and not my DS.
    But the differnt recharge cable does bother me since I liked having the same cable as my GBA cause I was able to have one charger at home and another at work. Now I'll have to have 2 chargers and I'll have to go out and buy a second one so I can have one at work.
    "Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
    Crow ~ MST3K
    <BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:43:14 AM »

Originally posted by: darknight06
    The unfortunate thing here is that it sounds like the screens will completely die outside, whereas on the original model under good lighting it was still visible and in some cases looked better than it did with backlighting.

What?  From what I hear the games are perfectly visible when used outside (unlike the current DS model, where the screen literally disappears when in direct lighting)...
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • Score: -9660
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:50:09 AM »
    I would like to see a comparison of screen quality of the DS Lite vs. the Gameboy Micro vs. the PSP. Future feature article on PGC?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 09:03:05 AM »
    I haven't played a GBA game in ages. I have one in my current DS just to keep dust out of it but that's it.

And the screen can get so bright that it will still show in direct lighting. Some of the RE DS scenes are too dark for the current DS, and some of the games in Advance Wars DS are likewise hard to see because the screen is dimmer.
    "OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 09:15:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Originally posted by: darknight06
    The unfortunate thing here is that it sounds like the screens will completely die outside, whereas on the original model under good lighting it was still visible and in some cases looked better than it did with backlighting.

What?  From what I hear the games are perfectly visible when used outside (unlike the current DS model, where the screen literally disappears when in direct lighting)...

Agreed.  If you take a Gameboy Micro and a DS and go outside, you can clearly make out everything on the Micro.  A brighter screen helps immensly with that problem.

You can recreate the issue with an old SP and a new one also.

The brighter screens are better all around.  I can live with the GBA cart issue and the smaller power cables.  I tend to have multiple cables on hand anyway (buying them cheap when I see them at Target and such).
    I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
    $10 Bet with KashogiStogi
    $10 Bet with Khushrenada
    Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: 98
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 09:53:10 AM »
    So... what about the DS Rumble Pak?
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 09:59:55 AM »
    The Rumble Pack should be compatible, just like anything else, but it will be interesting to see if it makes more noise or just feels weirder in the DS Lite.

...Actually, it won't be interesting to see, because the DS Rumble Pack blows goats and isn't worth thinking about.
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »
    I was surprised ACDS didn't use it for fishing.

But yeah, not really much need for it that I can see. Force feedback seems counterintuitive on a device which requires you keep a stylus to a touchscreen with precision.
    "OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • Score: -3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 10:33:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
    Ian, you can still order NES cables from Nintendo.com, so no need to worry there.

Ummm, check
    here and notice a problem.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: -19
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 11:06:06 AM »
    You can still buy the SNES ones, which are almost as old.
    Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 11:32:36 AM »
    What the heck is wrong with a new cable? LOL You guys nitpick anything!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: 98
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »
    My point with the DS Rumble Pak was won't it stick out when you're using it as well?  That's crappy.
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »

Originally posted by: PGC NewsBot
  • The battery power has increased from 850 mAh to 1000 mAh, hence the longer battery life at low brightness.

• Are the batteries the same size, meaning that I can plug a 1000 mAh battery into my old DS?

Grr. Argh.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »
    So, what happens when you try to turn off the backlight in the games that allow it? It switches between the brightest and least bright? Also, I hate not being able to see LCDs outside. Why couldn't the original DS have started with the good backlighting? Same with my laptop. It looks as bright as the brightest when in a slightly darkened classroom, but I can't see it at all on the highest brightness outside.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 12:58:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Yeah, I'm yet to actually see any 'portable' game system playable outside. Unless it's an overcast day.  

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • Score: -3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 12:58:42 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
    You can still buy the SNES ones, which are almost as old.

Well the fact that those are the exact same cables used for the N64 and GC, it makes sense that they'd have those.  But if you need a power cord, you are out of luck, which is my predicament at this point.  Plus my SNES doesn't work very well right now as well.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 01:04:03 PM »
    In a few months, you'll be able to play all those games on the Rev anyway.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 02:56:18 PM »
    After repurchasing them?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »
    My NES still works!

I just took good care of it is all.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »

Originally posted by: capamerica
    Now I'll have to have 2 chargers and I'll have to go out and buy a second one so I can have one at work.

Such horror!