Author Topic: Microsoft Origami  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Talon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Microsoft Origami
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »
It was only a matter of time before Microsoft entered the handheld arena!!

But this thing is massive LYNX eat your heart out.
-Image pulled for leeching bandwidth-

This looks like it will be extremely uncomfortable to use to with those button arrangements not to mention the weight of this beast.
-Image pulled for leeching bandwidth-

I definately cant see the average video game consumer buying this piece of trollops!
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Microsoft Origami
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
It has to stop.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:51:09 PM »
Looks very....uhh, unnecessary.  I don't see how anyone could possibly play Halo on this thing, but looks at the button layout I'm pretty sure it isn't the Xbox version anyway.  This isn't much of a handheld gaming device, it's more of a Tablet PC.  Well, it IS a tablet PC as far as I can tell, with a few extra buttons and stuff.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »
It's not a portable gaming device. It's a portable computer. It's not tyring to be an iPod or a handheld, it's a very specific device. If anything it's a mix of a laptop and a palm pilot.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Microsoft Origami
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 05:15:17 PM »
I don't get why everyone automaticly thinks just cause Microsoft releases something portable and it plays videogames its going to be a handheld videogame console.

I mean Hello Microsoft is a Computer company 1st and a Videogame company like 3rd. My PocketPC plays games does that mean HP is entering the handheld console wars?

Should be pointed out that this is old, its from about a year back, I don't get why its just now coming out.
The item is a cross between a PDA and a Tablet PC. It is not a game console. They just used the Halo 1 video (Yes its video not actual gameplay) to demostrate that it can be used for all sorts of things and that it has a good graphics card. The item itself was being push more twords buisness then gamers when it was first shown off.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 06:22:30 PM »
The reason why its comming out now is because microsoft is set to make a press release on March 2nd about this device.  

While this device plays games it can be critiqued as a gaming device.
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 07:19:23 PM »
It can be critiqued as a gaming device, but not a portable game system.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 09:05:51 PM »
Looks like a Gizmondo

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 03:03:11 AM »
Its gonna have halo on it, every kid will want it just for one game
just like psp with gta

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 03:30:30 AM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD
Its gonna have halo on it, every kid will want it just for one game
just like psp with gta

Except no on both accounts!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 04:19:58 AM »
DeadlyD: It's a PC so of course it has Halo on it.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 04:40:45 AM »
I think it's rather funny that they gave this a japanese name, when I don't think the any japanese person would buy it seeing how they have much better tablet pc's than we do. this isn't microsoft trying to compete solely with the ipod. they're trying to compete with psp also, and the gb, and the ds. in terms of it being a multimedia device, and gaming system. In a couple days listen careful to how much they talk about it's graphics, and the kind of games they plan to release for it. I wonder if they'll also talk about how much this is going to cost them when only half the people who bought xbox's buy this and it flops.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 05:04:14 AM »
Why are so many talking about this like it's some revolutionary thing? The Origami is just a marginally smaller Tablet PC with a few logical improvements that have become available in the last few years, like bluetooth.

Now, unless they manage to totally blow away the old pricing structure, and get this thing down to around the cost of a PSP or something, I fail to see why the marketplace which failed to embrace the last two generations of Tablet PCs is going to suddenly sit up and take notice.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 06:51:57 AM »
Technically this isn't a DS competitor but it almost is.  We live in a portable technology age.  When the Gameboy came out people didn't carry much with them beyond their keys and wallet/purse.  But today almost everyone has a cell phone or PDA or MP3 player with them at almost all times.  It's very common to carry portable electronics with you.  The problem with portable technology is that you're limited by how much you can carry with you.  

We slam the idea of set-top boxes a lot on this form but for portable technology having an all-in-one device actually makes sense.  It's very inconvienent to carry several items.  Having one item for virtually all your portable electronic needs is ideal.  So Nintendo portables aren't really just competing with other portable game systems anymore.  They're competing with PDAs and iPods and cell phones for our pocket space.  Nintendo should logically consider any portable device with games on it as a potential competitor.

This one though is very large so it's not really a pocket device so in this case I wouldn't consider it competition.

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 01:00:41 PM »
There has been the potential to make games using touch technology and with powerful portable power (like newer PDAs and Tablet PCs) for a long while now but it wasn't until the DS where the touch technology was truly utilized for games and caught on.  I think that this is definately fitting into the confusing realm of a "jack of all traits" type device which can supposedly do anything.  It might be powerful and have touch technology but will it be as powerful as a tablet PC and will people mind the smaller screen?  It might have PDA software but will people want to carry this thing around?  It might be able to play PC games but will people want to buy something that they can probably get cheaper for the PC AND be able to upgrade it according to new technology?

For me with all the technology and all the bleeding of technical features from one peice of equipment to the next it is hard to know wtf is going on anymore.  Should I worry about a cell phone with a 2 MP camera when I could save up for an actual worth-while digital camera?  Should I spend 250 on a PSP "gaming" device because it can play movies and music whereas the DS has the better GAMES.  Its coming to a point where everything can do everything but only a few things do it the best so you may end up with devices that can overlap functions rather then specializing in one or two.

At least a few companies (like Nintendo) are pretty much sticking to specializing in what they do best without compromising their products.  On the other hand I can see why one wouldn't want to cary around a thousand gadgets.  My conclusion?  I'm conused as hell and there is too many electronic gadgets on the market...

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 06:36:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Technically this isn't a DS competitor but it almost is.  We live in a portable technology age.  When the Gameboy came out people didn't carry much with them beyond their keys and wallet/purse.  But today almost everyone has a cell phone or PDA or MP3 player with them at almost all times.  It's very common to carry portable electronics with you.  The problem with portable technology is that you're limited by how much you can carry with you.  

We slam the idea of set-top boxes a lot on this form but for portable technology having an all-in-one device actually makes sense.  It's very inconvienent to carry several items.  Having one item for virtually all your portable electronic needs is ideal.  So Nintendo portables aren't really just competing with other portable game systems anymore.  They're competing with PDAs and iPods and cell phones for our pocket space.  Nintendo should logically consider any portable device with games on it as a potential competitor.

This one though is very large so it's not really a pocket device so in this case I wouldn't consider it competition.

between the size and the likely price, you'll probably be further ahead just carrying a laptop around with you.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 10:38:34 PM »
I think we should wait til its stats are released, I mean you can get a 1.2ghz laptop for a few hundred now in australia
see if its a powerful but cheap peice of equipment or just a novelty item

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 11:39:11 PM »
It's not supposed to be a PDA or a laptop, it's a tablet PC. It's a PC with an interface that consists of a pressure sensitive pen. It's smaller than a laptop so you don't have as much trouble carrying one over to another office to show them something and it's better than a PDA for painting things on it. PDAs are severely limited because of their screen size and resolution, they can't show multiple windows and have crippled software. Maybe it competes with a PDA but seriously, it's so much better than a PDA (I can tell you this without having used it, PDAs are crap for being anything more than a scheduler and block for short notes) that if you can fit one into your carrying equipment you should take it over a PDA.

It sounds like a good solution for people who can't afford a Cintiq.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 05:43:47 PM »
Some more concrete details.

Some of the more interesting clips:

One of the biggest eye catching moments seen in the Origami video was a running version of what appeared to be Halo. We’ve learned that this isn’t just the PC or Xbox disc slid into the back. Origami will apparently run its very own proprietary gaming software, and a Halo port will most likely be one of the first titles released.

And looks like its selectivley borrowing something many PGC'ers have dabbled with:

Perhaps the most interesting gaming feature, however, is Origami’s ability to connect to Xbox 360s. Once connected to a 360, presumably through the USB ports, Origami is expected to function as a second screen for compatible games. One example we heard specifically focused on a game in the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter vein.

Now who tried pushing that concept before...?

Is MS seriously thowing its hand in the handheld market? Or is this a legitamate attempt at replacing the laptop?...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 06:09:34 PM »
UH OH, it's a threat to STEEL BATTALION!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 05:04:29 PM »
ok ign have stated it wont play halo

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 06:27:15 AM »
Oversaturated handheld market, here we come...  Well, it was great while it lasted.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 08:54:50 AM »
something tells me the origami isn't going to have too great of an impact on anything. its trying to attack three different markets, the only one that's open for competition really is tablet pc's. portable gaming is owned by nintendo, with sony making acceptable sales. portable music is owned by apple, with a few others making acceptable sales. the origami has no wiggle room to slide into either of those markets.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »

Originally posted by: MaryJane
something tells me the origami isn't going to have too great of an impact on anything. its trying to attack three different markets, the only one that's open for competition really is tablet pc's. portable gaming is owned by nintendo, with sony making acceptable sales. portable music is owned by apple, with a few others making acceptable sales. the origami has no wiggle room to slide into either of those markets.

Right, and the tablet PC market is laughably small. Origami is a solution in desperate search of a problem... the only question is: will Microsoft subsidize the purchase price enough that it's worth getting one as a toy?

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 10:00:51 PM »

Origami is a solution in desperate search of a problem..

Just like the Revolution!

*ducks*
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon