Author Topic: New Release Date for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess  (Read 25360 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:New Release Date for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 04:13:14 PM »
Finally I could log on to the forums! did something happen? because I couldnt access PGC during the whole weekend, maybe my ISP is being temperamental right now...

Originally posted by: Mario

Anybody still believe that this will NOT have Rev features?

I want to believe

Me too. After all, TP could still push Rev sales without remote functions, and at the same time it can promote the Rev backwards compatibility feature.  As long as they delay it to add more content I can wait, Ill rather have extra dungeons, more towns or more items than remote functions any day, simply because we will get the Zelda revolution anyway, and they will probably never make a traditional Zelda again, so all the focus should be on that.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: New Release Date for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2006, 04:22:58 PM »
I'd bet parts of my anatomy that the Rev Zelda will blow "traditional Zelda" right out of the water on all fronts.

Just a prediction...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2006, 04:33:42 PM »
I bet they'll be different!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »
I'm sure they will, but the caliber of game Zelda Rev will be will very likely be something so far beyond the traditional Zelda's that they'll look like the very first game in comparison to OoT.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 05:14:25 PM »

Originally posted by: dack25
Looks like 2006 is going to be a crappy year for games like '05 (unless the Rev is really good).

Hahahaha, I certainly hope you aren't counting the DS in there...If you are, I pity you...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Hahahaha, I certainly hope you aren't counting the DS in there...If you are, I pity you...

Yeah, with MP:Hunters, Tetris DS, Worms, Peach, the new Mario Bros, Children of Mana, LostMagic, FFIII, etc. the DS lineup will be craptacular, no doubt.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »
I don't really care how much they delay it, I know I'm going to get it when it comes out, I know I will get a REV, I know I will trade in my gold-plated GameCube for the REV, so do I really care if some people go haywire because of this delay? Nope, all I say to those people is "that's a shame", but Nintendo sure could release some recent photos of the game so that I can continue reading on useless speculations.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
I don't really care how much they delay it, I know I'm going to get it when it comes out, I know I will get a REV, I know I will trade in my gold-plated GameCube for the REV, so do I really care if some people go haywire because of this delay? Nope, all I say to those people is "that's a shame", but Nintendo sure could release some recent photos of the game so that I can continue reading on useless speculations.

I agree completely.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2006, 06:47:33 PM »
They have the option of:

A) Release TP in April, having one last "Hurrah" on a dying system which lost home console marketshare from the very (lackluster) launch.

B) Release TP on or after the Rev launch, giving a delayed last "Hurrah" as well as promoting their new system as much as humanly possible to ensure it a brighter future than their previous system.

Look at it logically: not doing this for TP would be a huge mistake.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »
I would rather they never even announced it for the GameCube and developed it from the ground up for the Revolution instead of this..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2006, 07:18:22 PM »

B) Release TP on or after the Rev launch, giving a delayed last "Hurrah" as well as promoting their new system as much as humanly possible to ensure it a brighter future than their previous system.

Actually I think the opposite would be much more likely. I'm worred TP could potentially destroy the entire Revolution systems future. Tons of people would only buy TP with their new Rev, and sales of ACTUAL revolution games are going to be pathetic, and that's bad for third parties as well, thus Revolution will get no more support. Also, obviously the Rev features for TP, if they exist, would be a tacked on sparkling innovation, because the game isn't designed around the Revolution, so heaps of people will just go "oh, meh, this is all the Revolution has to offer? PS3 for me."

I've agreed with almost every decision Nintendo has made with the DS, and I think they've done nothing wrong with the GC in the last few years, but this weird situation is the first time i've thought "wtf are they doing?" since the early GC days.

My ideal situation: Release Twilight Princess at least one month before Revolution, with no exclusive Revolution gameplay features.

I think it's time I stopped thinking about this...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2006, 07:52:28 PM »
Well, I don't agree that TP will do that to the Rev. First, no one would only buy a Revolution only for Zelda. No matter what functions Nintendo adds in, it's still a Cube game, and it can be played in its entirety with a GameCube. Therefore, whoever just wants Zelda is much more likely to buy a vastly cheaper GameCube than a Revolution. The NRC functions are great and all, but those alone won't persuade someone to drop money on a Rev by themselves; if someone buys a Revolution they will most likely buy other games as well.

Also, this won't be an issue if there are some quality games available at launch for the Rev. If we get a game that truly demonstrates the functions of the controller in a grand fashion (like SM64), then people will  buy that game regardless. And MP3 and SSBR will probably be around sometime during the launch period; those games won't be affected as well since they are more than likely going to sell anyway. I worry about third parties, though, since their games can't be sparkling innovationy and shallow. Well, there can be a few of those which aren't expected to sell much anyway, but I hope the other third party offerings sell well too, since 3rd party tie in ratio is something that developers take notice of as much as anything.. But I'm convinced that if a 3rd party actually puts some efforts into Rev games, they will sell for what they're worth.

As well, Nintendo systems usually have a great tie-in ratio at launch. Zelda will only be a minor dent in this. Sure, it won't show up as a Rev game, so the tie-in ratio will be a bit less, but it won't drastically change how many copies of launch games are sold. Early adopters WILL buy more games, so there's little to worry there. And while it may cause a slightly lower ratio, it's selling hardware! Userbase is always extremely important, and Zelda will help spur Rev sales, which will only encourage 3rd parties to develop more for the Rev.

Any game Nintendo can get is all too welcome for the Rev launch. I'm not saying that Nintendo should have a weaker launch just because Zelda is there, but having it can only help. It will sell systems and not really affect the tie in ratio.

-------

Having said all of that, I agree with pretty much every thing else you had to say, Mario. I don't doubt this is a good business decision for now, but I'm very angry at Nintendo for doing it, and it may come back to haunt them in the future.

They would be essentially delaying the game to add in features that you can't even use unless you buy a Rev, which many Cube owners will not. So the GameCube owners will get cheated, since first they have to wait longer for a game when the system hasn't had meaningful support for a long time, but ALSO they won't even be able to use the features that caused the delay..

Twilight Princess won't take full advantage of everything the Rev has to offer, and therefore it won't be the complete and polished Rev game that I want. The true Zelda Revolution will push the controls and the Rev hardware, not only for graphics but to do things that the GameCube hardware just isn't able to (like how Pikmin couldn't be done on the N64). And at the very beginning of the development of this Zelda, Nintendo will be thinking about the Rev controls all the way, unlike TP.

I may be too sentimental, though..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 08:52:08 PM »
IceCold your making no sense, psp has alot of decent games and still it doesnt have a huge system to game ratio with sales
and with the game being pushed back to rev, who says it will only be gamecube graphics? it could feature upgrades with the extra  ram much like n64 games did, but on the scale were it still works on either
the same 30mins of video has been floating around for a year now, with a few random pics popping up here and there...alot has happened since then i bet

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2006, 11:48:23 PM »
People buying a Rev for TP is good, not bad. That means they have the system in their homes and might buy other titles. Why should they stay with only one game for the system? Unless the Rev is dirt cheap that's a waste of money. As long as the launch has some good titles people will buy some of them as well. I don't think sales of launch titles will be hit much, after all TP isn't a full Rev game and when you've paid 200$ for a new console you want to see everything it can do.

I think releasing TP before the Rev will hurt its sales, people will think "Oh, I won't pick up a GC for that one game NOW, I'll just wait until the Rev arrives" and by the time it's there they might have forgotten about it. The worst thing I could see happening is GC owners deciding they can use TP to wait a bit longer before grabbing any next-gen consoles.

IceCold your making no sense, psp has alot of decent games and still it doesnt have a huge system to game ratio with sales

Decent isn't good enough. The titles have to be good or great, not just decent. Especially when you have to choose between playing all kinds of emulators or the system's own games (because the games will break emulator capabilities).

One of the cheapest upgrades for TP on Rev would be increased texture resolution (most likely they are drawn at higher resolution anyway and downscaled to fit memory constraints later). And please don't give me the "But it doesn't have HD, it doesn't need higher resolution textures!" crap, even at 640x480 the current console gen's textures are completely inadequate.

Me, I don't worry. I can wait and games don't get better after they've been released. So I prefer to have TP as good and future-proof as possible. The current generation almost hurts with its bad graphics by now, in ten years we'll be glad that TP has those upgrades.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2006, 03:24:37 AM »
They could always make the Twilight Princess "2nd quest" unlockable inly after you finish the GameCube version.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2006, 03:52:35 AM »
I think the boat of TP as a "killer app" has sailed already since last christmas, but the game just wasnt ready. From that moment on they are just losing and losing sales, TP wont be the killer app of anything, even if Nintendo is crazy enough to try to push it as "the killer app" for the rev. I think that if they wanted, they couldve released it last christmas, although it was incomplete, Im pretty sure it was "Wind Waker" incomplete, which mean it was already an awesome game anyway. But they stick to their promise.  The way Reggie answered the question about the rev features makes it look like they havent even consider it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2006, 03:53:15 AM »
I don't see how buying a Rev and TP can be bad.  Is buying a Xbox 360 and picking up Halo, or Halo 2 bad for the 360?

Edit:  TP will be pushed as a great *Gamecube* game.  It'll also be used to stress the backwards compatability of the Rev.

"[TP] Now available for the Nintendo Gamecube... or play this and other great Gamecube titles on the new Ninendo Revolution - now available in stores everywhere."

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2006, 04:35:25 AM »
I think this is probably a good idea from a marketing perspective, but it enrages me as a gamer.  Now I have to rely on Chibi Robo and a bunch of old games to keep me entertained through to the next console.  BOOO!!!  That is not a good situation, Nintendo.  If the Xbox 360 wasn't so overpriced, I'd seriously consider buying one now.

However, in the long run, it's too late for this game to make a huge difference to the GameCube, so why not add it to the Revolution hype? Assuming Revolution still has a good launch lineup, and assuming Nintendo is smart enough to include a good demo disc with the system, this can only be a good thing.  If the company tries to use this as a substitute for a good launch lineup, Revolution may be screwed.  If they don't include a demo disc...I think Revolution will still do fine, but I bet there will be a small percentage of people who buy the system with Zelda, and then let it collect dust because Zelda doens't show off the features that well.

But even though Nintendo has made plenty of mistakes in the past, I'm confident the Revolution is going to have a good launch lineup aside from this game.

Edit: I hope, I hope this game comes out in September.  If it comes out in less than one month of the Rev launch, I will not buy it until the price drops.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2006, 05:11:21 AM »
"Now I have to rely on Chibi Robo and a bunch of old games to keep me entertained through to the next console. BOOO!!! That is not a good situation, Nintendo. If the Xbox 360 wasn't so overpriced, I'd seriously consider buying one now."

How many times do I have to point out the incredible DS lineup?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »
Also it makes me wonder why he's considering an XC when we're talking about horrible lineups. But well, you CAN buy one, just don't complain when it doesn't get any better through doing that.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2006, 06:25:23 AM »
Should this game be free?  Either free w/purchuse of Revolution or get a Mail-in-rebate for one free Revolution game when you purchuse the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Something OR maybe the Gamecube should be free with purchuse of Zelda:TP.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2006, 07:17:38 AM »
Didn't they do something like this for the Zelda: Oracle games? How did those games compare to the sales of other handheld Zelda games?
Back to TP, they only have 1.5 GB to work with. Can they fit that much more in? I wonder if they're actually still working on it now, or if they pushed it back just to be closer to the Revolution launch? Either way, it will probably have less bugs. Although, some of the Zelda bugs were kind of fun...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2006, 08:00:23 AM »
Should this game be free?

What?  No...People are going to buy this game no matter what...Freebies should be games that people wouldn't look at unless given to them...

Didn't they do something like this for the Zelda: Oracle games? How did those games compare to the sales of other handheld Zelda games?

All games in the Zelda series have sold around the same amount, with OoT being the exception...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2006, 08:04:04 AM »
"They have the option of:

A) Release TP in April, having one last 'Hurrah' on a dying system which lost home console marketshare from the very (lackluster) launch.

B) Release TP on or after the Rev launch, giving a delayed last 'Hurrah' as well as promoting their new system as much as humanly possible to ensure it a brighter future than their previous system.

Look at it logically: not doing this for TP would be a huge mistake."

I see it more like this:

1. Release TP in April and get Nintendo back in the minds of gamers.  Zelda ends up on the covers of all the game magazines and on the front page of all the game sites.  Great review scores spring up.  Anyone who has had their Cube gathering dust is suddenly paying attention to Nintendo again because FINALLY another amazing must-play game has shown up.  Stores are pushing pre-orders.  Nintendo's got some buzz going again.  This is perfect timing for E3 which occurs next month.  People have a reason to pay attention to Nintendo again and, for a little while at least, are feeling good about them.  So they're going to pay more attention to E3 which hopefully blows them all away and builds up interest in the Rev.

2. Nintendo remains a wallflower in the console scene until they launch the Rev.  How much do you pay attention to the E3 showings of companies you're not interested in?  Personally I really only pay attention to stuff relating to Nintendo.  I don't really pay attention to the Sony or MS press conferences.  I just sort of pick up some of the major info second hand but I don't pay much attention.  E3 is a lot of information to digest.  If you're looking at a magazine or looking over a site's E3 coverage you're going to skip the stuff you're not interested in.  So if you're not really into Nintendo at the time you're not going to pay as much attention.  You're not going to be as interested in the Rev.  I think it's very important for Nintendo to have a moment of brilliance before they really start the Rev push.  I think they need people to be thinking about Nintendo in a postive light prior to E3 and Zelda is the sort of game that can do that.

Plus this whole "plan" about using TP to try to help sell Revs assumes that current Cube owners are loyal to Nintendo.  I don't think that's true.  I think a lot of us are just f*cking sick of all the BS we've had to deal with lately.  I think it's incredibly beneficial for Nintendo to end the Cube on a high note with Cube owners feeling good about Nintendo and feeling satisfied so that they're more likely to have faith in the Rev.  Blind fanboys are the only Cube owners who right now have any faith in Nintendo and they'll buy the Rev no matter what.  Nintendo needs the more casual Cube owners on board too.  They should show the Cube userbase that they CARE because I sure as f*ck don't think they do.  Releasing Zelda sooner is saying "we're sorry for all this crap you've had to put up with, give us another chance on the Rev."  Delaying Zelda to fit the Rev launch is saying "we either are totally oblivious to your dissatisfaction or we just don't care.  All we care about is that you buy our new console."

Right now I feel like a damn Sega Saturn owner.

And don't give me that lame "what about the DS" excuse.  Nintendo cannot assume that any Cube owner owns a DS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2006, 08:07:48 AM »
What about the DS? </snotty>

Seriously, if someone doesn't have a game for something, they play something else (or actually go do something productive)...The DS is the best choice of every other system, so I CAN use the "excuse," thank you very much...