Author Topic: Opera Browser Confirmed for Nintendo DS  (Read 10750 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Opera Browser Confirmed for Nintendo DS
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »
It's a long shot, but Nintendo could also include a RAM expansion pak for the browser (which fits into the GBA slot).
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 10:02:25 AM »
"Oh and what do we do about the lack of a scroll wheel?"

Blow into the mic to scroll down, whistle to scroll up
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Opera Browser Confirmed for Nintendo DS
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 10:09:21 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Oh and what do we do about the lack of a scroll wheel?
You could just drag the screen around using the stylus (kind of like what happens in Opera if you click the mouse wheel).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 10:11:31 AM »
I think it should be painfully obvious that the touch screen is going to make the implementation infinitely easier than it could ever be on a cellphone or a PSP.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ssj4_android

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 12:02:27 PM »
Yay! I was thinking Opera should make it, since they pretty much have the best browser for ARM9. Hopefully it doesn't have to use RAM on the cart though, or at least have it come out in the USA.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
It's a long shot, but Nintendo could also include a RAM expansion pak for the browser (which fits into the GBA slot).

Just so everyone knows, a RAM expansion pack is being packed with the browser...It will fit into the GBA slot (with two versions being made, one made smaller so it doesn't stick out of the DSLite)

Edit: Image
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 12:06:01 PM »
Infendo is reporting no Java, Flash or PDF. There will, however, be bookmarks. Basically it's a palm pilot browser.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 12:13:08 PM »
BTW, why not link to their Nintendo DS forums?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 12:44:17 PM »
PGC Pocket is probably already compatible with the DS Opera browser, but if it needs to be modified, we'll do whatever it takes.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »
Looking at the released photos, I'd say that PGC itself is compatible with the browser, not just PGC Pocket.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Just so everyone knows, a RAM expansion pack is being packed with the browser...It will fit into the GBA slot (with two versions being made, one made smaller so it doesn't stick out of the DSLite)
That is so hot it's unbelievable.

I wonder if the RAM expansion will be available seperately, just in case someone gets one version and then wants to upgrade/downgrade to the other DS version.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 01:53:25 PM »
No direct linking unless you own the webspace
it looks like they'll have extra memory in the GBA slot.  

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 01:58:52 PM »
I wonder if games will be able to use this extra RAM like on the N64, or whether Nintendo would allow it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
from what i've read about this thing so far, i'm actually fairly impressed. i still want to see a hands on with it to see how well it actually works though.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 05:06:24 PM »
This is very nice news. I've been using Opera for years, and I've been hoping to see it on the DS since it was announced. If you'd like to get an idea of how Opera DS will render pages, download the desktop version and browse your favorite interwebs in "small-screen mode." View>Small screen (Shift+F11).

Nintendo's new website incompatibility was weird. The last time they updated the site, Opera worked as poorly as any other browser from the get-go. I promptly sent them a snide email pointing this out. :¬]
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline dsgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2006, 06:51:06 PM »

Originally posted by: PGC NewsBot
It'll come on a DS card and you'll be able to browse the Internet in double!

Giving gamers two windows to the Web: The Opera Browser for Nintendo DS™    

<small>February 15, 2006: Opera Software today announced that it will deliver the World Wide Web to Nintendo DS users in Japan. In Opera's agreement with Nintendo, Nintendo DS users will now be able to surf the full Internet from their systems using the Opera browser. The Opera browser for Nintendo DS will be sold as a DS card. Users simply insert the card into the Wi-Fi enabled Nintendo DS, connect to a network, and begin browsing on two screens.    

Earlier this year, Nintendo reported that 13 million Nintendo DS systems were sold to consumers around the world within just 13 months of its debut in November 2004.  Nintendo DS combines unique dual screens, touch screen, voice recognition and wireless and Wi-Fi communications capabilities. According to an independent market research company in Japan, Nintendo DS has become the fastest selling video games machine to top the 6 million sales mark in Japan in just over 14 months since its Japanese debut, breaking the old record held by Nintendo's Game Boy Advance.    

"The incredibly popular Nintendo DS is already Wi-Fi enabled to support real-time gaming, so adding Web browsing capabilities was a natural evolution for this device," says Scott Hedrick, Executive Vice President, Opera Software. "Gaming devices are growing more advanced and a great Web experience is becoming a product differentiator for gaming manufacturers.  Opera is excited to work with Nintendo to deliver a unique dual screen, full Internet experience on Nintendo DS."    

With an on-screen keypad and stylus, users can easily navigate the Web from their Nintendo DS with PDA-like functionality.  Based on the same core as the Opera desktop browser, Opera delivers superior speed and rendering of Web pages on the Nintendo DS.    

“Within just five seconds of turning on the system, the Nintendo DS is already fully operational.  This makes it the ideal device to enable people to swiftly obtain the latest information from the internet, wherever they are," says Masaru Shimomura, Deputy General Manager of Nintendo’s R & D Department.  "Opera exceeded our expectations with its user friendly interface, quick access to all your favorite sites, ease of use and, most importantly, in making the best use of the Nintendo DS system’s unique double screens and touch screen features.  Opera is an important partner for Nintendo in our efforts to further expand the users of the Nintendo DS."    

Nintendo Co., Ltd. held a presentation today in Tokyo, Japan, to announce updates for the Nintendo DS.  Information on the availability of the Opera browser DS card has not yet been announced.  </small>

i heard that already, and it say's like it runs by a DSLinux....correct me if i'm correct

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2006, 07:00:14 PM »
lol, old topic outta nowhere.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).