Author Topic: Error Message with new site update  (Read 5802 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Error Message with new site update
« on: February 11, 2006, 09:07:39 AM »
I recieve this error message when I try to access a feature of the new site update, such as search.

Edit: Thought this'd be necessary.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Official New Site Bug List
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 09:18:12 AM »
Yeah, if you find anything wrong with the new site, put it in here so we can get to fixing it.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Official New Site Bug List
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 09:23:45 AM »
Bah, this is probably a user-end view of a bug we're seeing when updating things.  I suspect it has to do with flushing the cache... If it worked for you right away when you refreshed or something, that's the issue.  I'll have to look at that feature again :-/
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline jtownzen2

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 10:05:02 AM »
You might have already read this in the Talkback thread, but I wanted to post it in the correct place.  I get the same error message as ShyGuy when trying to load most pages in Firefox, and refreshing doesn't seem to make them viewable, but if I switch to Internet Explorer and load the page that's giving me an error, I can then view that same page in Firefox.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 10:30:40 AM »
o.O I'll see what I can do.  I may need to ditch the caching feature.
Nintendo World Report

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 01:11:32 PM »
Same messge.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 01:37:53 PM »

Originally posted by: jtownzen2
You might have already read this in the Talkback thread, but I wanted to post it in the correct place.  I get the same error message as ShyGuy when trying to load most pages in Firefox, and refreshing doesn't seem to make them viewable, but if I switch to Internet Explorer and load the page that's giving me an error, I can then view that same page in Firefox.

Same experience here. Refresh doesn't help, but temporarily using IE strangely does.

Mostly it's affecting all the sections in the "PGC Quick Links" on the front page. Also, new articles have popped up the error every now and then too for me (the first one was the improvement announcement, which actually made me LOL), but the automatic Talkback threads are awesome and the forums seem completely unaffected by bugs, so I can always read new stories there if I needed to.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline jtownzen2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 01:50:14 PM »
I think you're right about it being due to the caching.  I get this error a lot when trying to look at content that would be accessed infrequently (like news articles from a day or two ago, or pages for specific games) but almost never for more recent articles that a lot of people would be viewing.  I've seen it happen only once when trying to load the front page, but a few seconds later it was working again, maybe because someone else had accessed the page successfully in the meantime and so it was cached again.  Could it have anything to do with this?

Edit:  As far as I can tell, disabling cookies in Firefox keeps this error from occuring.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:33:45 PM »
Here's an odd low-priority bug. The automatic Talkback threads are messing with the "blue folder" new post indicators.

Like, just a little while ago, a new Talkback thread appeared, and then Infernal bumped up another thread. The new Talkback thread doesn't appear as a blue folder, even though it was new. But more than that, on the main "Forums" page it indicated that there were no new "blue folder" posts at all in the Talkback forum, not even Infernal's post.

It still said Infernal's post was the newest one, but it wouldn't give it a blue folder. Not until you entered the Talkback forum and saw it without it having been lumped in with Blue-proof PGC NewsBot post. This is different from last night when it said the newest post in Talkback was from sometime last April.

Edit: I just went back in time to November 2004, and posted in Talkback. Take that, McFly!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 05:38:30 PM »
Alright, got sick of not being able to see it, and deleted all my planetgamecube.com cookies. And now it works. (The thing saying cookie error kind of gave it away)
EDIT: The DICE event page still says "Variable START is undefined." Perhaps you want to assign 0 to START?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 06:31:16 PM »

Edit: I just went back in time to November 2004, and posted in Talkback. Take that, McFly!  
You did? Which thread? Or did you see one of your already-posted messages from that thread?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 08:17:06 PM »
I think I fixed the DICE thing by updating the link.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 08:57:41 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
You did? Which thread? Or did you see one of your already-posted messages from that thread?

It does it when it's doing that "no blue folder" thing I described earlier. The main forums page thinks that the latest post was made at some random crazy time, which is probably why it doesn't give it a blue folder.

I think the automatic Talkback posts are just temporarily messing up the "posted" time on some things (until the automatic post stops being "new", I think).
- Ken Kutaragi

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 11:04:09 PM »
Yes, it is possible some sort of cookie from the past could be doing that.  I personally ahve not written any cookie-related code, so I'm baffled.  Everyone running into that "Cookie" bug please flush your cache/cookies and see if it reappears.

The cookie bug could actually have to do with caching (see other bug above).  *sigh* One would think that would work if I'm just using their tool :-/

EDIT: As for the blue folder issue...that really *is* a low priority bug lol.  Honestly I don't know what I changed in the talkback-creation code that would cause that.  I'll compare the related old site code to the new site's talkback-creation code.
Nintendo World Report

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 08:25:19 AM »
No, I cleared the cookies, not the cache. Your ads run through that thing?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 08:42:50 AM »
Clearing the cache and 20+ cookies I had labeled planetgamecube cured the problem.

Must have been an old cookie issue. Maybe renaming the cookies so they don't match the old ones will prevent this from happening to other visitors?

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 12:42:32 PM »
Like I said, I really don't know anything about these cookies.  I never explicitly added any.
Nintendo World Report

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »
what happened to the release list?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 09:31:56 PM »
Use the games page and make your own!  You can view "Unreleased" games by "Date."
Nintendo World Report

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 01:51:28 PM »
I have a strange problem.  I tried to click on the news link about the new Final Fantasy III screenshots, and it gave me a small dialogue box that said "Invalid User: IP Logged" and an OK button.

So...I dunno why its being logged, or whats up, but...bug reported?  

And...yeah.  Where is my IP being logged to?

==EDIT==
Of course, as soon as I make a post its fixed.  I am still curious as to the message, though.
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 11:12:48 AM »
I got that same message just now when trying to get into the ExciteTruck media.

They're watching.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 11:19:26 AM »
This happens when staff incorrectly enters the URL for a page when creating a headline.
Nintendo World Report