Author Topic: What are the plans for Serial Port #2?  (Read 13843 times)

Offline Nintendork SP

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What are the plans for Serial Port #2?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2003, 05:39:09 AM »
I'll bet you anything it'll be nothing,  I would call it Nintendo's emergency port.  All the system's got one.  The N64's was for the 64DD.  And the one on at least the NES was intended to work like a PC.  And of corse the CD port for the SNES that never came out from Sony.
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline Jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2003, 07:09:52 AM »
I believe that serial port 2 is for an adapter for networking capabilities that have been talked about from cube to cube. Like the X-box, this is a way to network cubes to play with one another. This is only a guess, but a recent report that I can not remember where it was but can remember reading, it was talking about networking cubes. This also discussed along with Nintendo's possible online plans. Maybe the modem (BB or 56k) can be the networking adapter between cubes. I really don't know how that works.

I am also wondering, does the GB player that attaches to the cube have a port on the bottom of that extending further possibilities of other players (NES, SNES, DVD Player?) or another additions.

I don't know all the techs but are any of those players possible with the present cube?
A Zealous Imagineer

Offline NickNiteQ93

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2003, 01:11:58 PM »
sounds good.  the connection would come out the back so that it wouldn't interfere with the GB player, whether you have one or not.  I don't know why, but I think instead of adding 5 different ports, why not fill them already?    Give us some kick ass options that no other console has, like a Bagle Bite cooker or something.  But yeah, I realized that most consoles do come with the most unused addon capabilities, but I guess it's good that they're there.  No product is 100% out of box, and with the GC having 3 expansion slots, I think it's a very good idea, seeing as how many different possibilities there could be for additions to an already awesome console.  But anyway, a type of ethernet connection between Cubes seems likely, but couldn't that be done with a Broadband Adapter and a cable?  They could've made the adapters to behave like Hubs.  Who knows.  Wait I got it.  Maybe there's a printer we don't know about, and now we can print out Hott Pictures of Princess Peach in her Panties from Super Smash Brothers: Melle!!  CLICK HERE!   lol   Sorry, had to do it.  Peace
I think, therefore I wish.  I wish, therefore I'll never get.          

Life is long and hard, so rock out with your cock out.

Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Offline Kuchakor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2003, 01:42:29 PM »
I was thinking that it could be for a battery pack, that both the GCN and LCD screen would use so it would'nt make the cube any bigger.
Unless of course you have a gameboy player.
Town: TVLand
Name: Kuchakor

Whatya up to Norm?

My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.

Offline Tokerev

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2003, 01:42:34 PM »
well, xbox came with pretty much every addon possible for todays systems. And all of ps2's expansions are used. And that didnt come it to use until 2 years after release. I think nintendo isnt stupid, as everyone knows. They would have it there for nothing. The n64used the unused slot, after it was out for about 3 years. I think the port has a firewire/usb type connectivity. That means to me, that they can develop several types of devices for the gamecube. It could be for anything. They planned the first 2, so maybe they added another just incase. So if you had everything plugged in, you would have to unplug something to use this new add-on that everyone is wondering about. But i think the options are open until they absolutely know the most important add-on to stay is the console wars as long as possible.

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2003, 11:29:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonk
I believe that serial port 2 is for an adapter for networking capabilities that have been talked about from cube to cube.

that's a good idea, because even though the BBA could do that, I have the modem adapter which cannot do this. I don't want to take it out and replace it to do LAN, but if Nintendo sold a simple adapter for a much lower price, everything would be right in the world when those LAN games they talked about are released.
I have crabs, would you like some?

Visit TendoFire, it's for your own good, OK!

Offline Super_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2003, 11:14:16 AM »
Four GC's linked up would be fantastic, perhaps serial port 2 is for networking. Also the Wavebird currently has 16 channels - why would you need that many when you can only currently plug in four Wavebirds on channels 1,2,3 and 4? Perhaps this is evidence of four GC's with 16 player Wavebird frenzy? Imagine 16 player Smash Bros. - too good to be true!
Alright! Let's hear it one more time for Randy Watson! Randy Watson!

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2003, 02:52:45 PM »
There are 16 in order to avoid signal interference. Only in the best condition possible could all 16 be used. Would be nice though, but regular controllers are still good and 16 players could do some LAN.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2003, 03:26:27 PM »

I was thinking that it could be for a battery pack, that both the GCN and LCD screen would use so it would'nt make the cube any bigger.

I thought that too, but I checked and the battery packs just plug to the regular power inlet.  
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2003, 05:43:43 PM »
First, Azule a modem does not put out nearly enough bandwith to make a signal on it to work, sorry.

2nd, this is far to small to reall work as a hub/ router. Unless Nintendo is planning on having it come out the side and have the ethernet slots right there, it would do no good. The microphone idea still sounds the most likely to me.  

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2003, 11:42:58 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
First, Azule a modem does not put out nearly enough bandwith to make a signal on it to work, sorry.

You talking about the BBA or modem? why couldn't either have enough bandwith, it works with PSO online, why not a direct LAN?

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2003, 01:08:36 AM »
Do GCN from all regions have the same input (electricity)?

LZ 2005

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2003, 01:35:19 AM »

Originally posted by: NickNiteQ93
Man, I never realized that EVERY single major console (which doesn't include Virtual Boy because I didn't own one and dunno if this pertains to it) had an expansion slot.  NES, SNES, N64, and GC all have expansion slots.  

Not "every major console" has an expansion slot.  Atari 2600 (most popular console of early 80's) did not have any.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2003, 05:55:37 AM »
The fault lays in RJ11, as it was never designed to support networking. RJ12/45 are derivatives that were designed for networking. Although some phone jacks (like in new homes) can support 10baseT, they will be out dated sooner or later because RJ12 was developed quite a long time ago and will be outdated in less than a decade.

Another problem is that I have never seen a RJ11 hub/router.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2003, 01:15:49 PM »

Do GCN from all regions have the same input (electricity)?

They should all be DC current, if thats what you're asking.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.