Author Topic: Nintendo Conducts Focus Surveys for its Virtual Co  (Read 13045 times)

Offline Knoxxville

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Conducts Focus Surveys for its Virtual Co
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 06:48:52 AM »
Yes, Boy Wonder, I do believe Batman saw you the 1st time.....

Anyway, where the HELL is Super Mario All Stars?  I mean, yeah, it's a whole lotta Mario in one package but surely they could just charge more for all those "prettier" Marios in one rip, yes?  

Offline joeposh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 06:53:45 AM »

Originally posted by: YenRug
So, nobody finding it suspicious that these sources have only been able to supply Joystiq with "screen grabs", rather than a URL link to the actual survey?

There's a very good reason for that. Typically surveys like this are invite only. Alot of third party evaluation groups have a pool of volunteers that they choose from based on some basic information they filled out previously and surveys they've taken in the past. The link they provide is unique for each user and once the survey is taken (or even started for that matter), attempting to access it again will only lead to a "This survey has already been taken" sort of screen.

My question is not, where's the survey, but how did they grab those pictures? Unless the site got sloppy, most surveys right click protect their surveys so you can't steal the information or mock ups. Whatever the case, such news is encouraging but I won't be getting my hope up until we see some concrete details direct from Nintendo.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Conducts Focus Surveys for its Virtual Co
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 07:14:57 AM »
"i beleive if Nintnedo are not total idiots they will give their n64,snes, nes emulators the online support my emulators have had for ages."

That would be cool but Nintendo providing what other have for ages isn't something I typically expect.  I'd really like the feature though.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 08:04:05 AM »
Miyamoto talked about that possibility becoming reality a while back, did he not?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 08:43:43 AM »
This is a great list.

And If this is true I will be very happy...and I will be very busy.

I have a total of 43 games I want to download.  Most likely I won't be playing all of them over again, but I want to have them in a format that I can keep them.  I am seriously contemplating the Revolution being my last game system, and since it will have all my most loved games, I will be happy.

My breakdown:

NES:

SNES:

Nintendo 64:

And I know that this list will just grow.  Specially since the Nintendo 64 list is very small in comparison to what it could become.  Same with the other systems.  If 3rd parties get involved then we are in for crazy fun.

I just hope we can get Super Bomberman 2 for SNES.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2006, 08:45:34 AM »

Originally posted by: joeposh
My question is not, where's the survey, but how did they grab those pictures? Unless the site got sloppy, most surveys right click protect their surveys so you can't steal the information or mock ups. Whatever the case, such news is encouraging but I won't be getting my hope up until we see some concrete details direct from Nintendo.

Screen-capture programs, or usually PrintScreen can capture them.  It's always possible to work around things, and right-click protection really is nothing.  Maybe someone taking the survey had the foresight to snap some shots as they went along.

They're mock-ups, as was supposedly said, anyway.  I expect, or at least hope, that the real final design is more sleek like the hardware itself.  If this was a more public survey, I would think they would have something better-looking to show.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »
Well obviously somebody snapped or captured pictures of the screen mockup and was able to write about the games listed.  So somebody did some work.  Perhaps the journalist actually had integrity and didn't take captures of the survey for copyright reasons, or just respecting the survey and content.  

The screens being mockups probably didn't bother him...or the reporter was somewhat dimwitted and just took pictures of what he thought was important.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 11:46:44 AM »
Right-click protection is a waste. As JonLeung said, it's easily circumvented with the screen capture function of every graphical operating system. And many browsers don't support the function, instead choosing to respect the users of such browsers (Opera, for example).

As far as some of the games being pipe dreams: since this is a survey, they're merely gauging interest for specific titles. A very positive response for an impractical title might be enough to warrant going through the hoops to get them. Goldeneye in particular is probably going to take some financial and/or legal finagling to redistribute, but is likely to be very popular from former to casual to core players.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 12:00:58 PM »
I personally call this a rumor because there's nobody's name on the line here really.

Joystiq is completely relying on several people who sent them this information. More than one, sure, but you could easily enlist a couple of other people who want to perpetuate a rumor.

The screens in particular are mock-ups, but of what? Mock-ups of what the survey had, or the exact mock-ups that the survey used.

I certainly don't rule out the possibility that this is true, but without even semi-soft evidence at my disposal I have nothing but hearsay. I mean, at least with the NGC Zelda:TP rumor we have NGC, a decent UK magazine, calling Nintendo's bluff on the speculation claim and basically laying their reputation on the line.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 01:14:48 PM »
Wait, you wouldn't be able to download unlimited games with the subscription service? Go with what Yahoo is doing, unlimited downloads that work as long as you keep paying. Please, don't be greedy. Unless the subscription was $2 a month for 9 games or something. Perhaps multiple tiers are good? And, I want Excitebike 64 and Dr. Mario 64. Never played 4 player Dr. Mario.
I wonder if these games will be rendered at a higher resolution? I believe the N64 was either a fourth or a half of normal NTSC TV resolution.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »
IGN is saying its $15 a month to play any game you want, $2.99 for NES and $19.99 for N64. The monthly and NES fees aren't unreasonable (but too high, imho) but that N64 thing is sickening. It'll be a shot in the foot.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »
I ain't doing the subscription thing....just lemme buy what I want.  Lord forbid this "service" ever goes the way of the Sega Channel....or what about those poor saps who spent all that time and money on PSO for Dreamcast, to only get shafted when that went down and left with no way to port the data to the Xbox or GC.....rotten!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »
Is sooo hard to find Paper Mario 64. I'd pay 20 bucks for that. Nothing else though.

Well...maybe Sin and Punishment or something like that.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2006, 05:06:17 PM »
20 dollars for a Nintendo 64 game is too much.  10 dollars is much better deal, and will get greater support.

There is no way I will support a subscription service, because once I quit paying I lose all my games.  No way.  I want the downloads to complete a collection and have games to keep forever.

Though I dunno I completely trust IGN.  Their Revolution news has been lacking and sometimes downright horrible.  It's like they aren't reporting news, but reporting speculations from various sources.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2006, 06:43:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Though I dunno I completely trust IGN.  Their Revolution news has been lacking and sometimes downright horrible.  It's like they aren't reporting news, but reporting speculations from various sources.

That was directly from this survey, not speculation.

Besides, what speculation have they been reporting?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2006, 07:17:58 PM »
Oh, I dunno, the SPECS ?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 03:32:31 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Oh, I dunno, the SPECS ?

You still in denial over that? Whatever.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2006, 03:48:19 AM »
I say N64 games should be $9.99.  It gives the illusion of being a one-digit dollar amount even if it's practically $10.  I'd be more likely to buy three N64 games at that price than one game at $20.  I think.

Or just go with what some people here have been suggesting; different prices for different games.  By "generation" certain ranges are to be expected, typically higher on the N64 and lower and the NES.  I'm sure they could even sell Final Fantasy for the NES for the same or even more than something like Kid Klown in Crazy Chase on the Super NES.

We probably talked about that before.  I didn't see IGN mentioning anything about Super NES's possible prices.  I've often believed that the Super NES had the best installment of most Nintendo franchises, so that's where I'd be spending most of my money.  A lot of NES games get my attention too, so maybe even at a possible $2.99 each I'll be using up a big chunk of my paycheques if they can keep getting more games from other developers available.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2006, 05:31:20 AM »
Outrageous prices don't work when you're competing with piracy. People want legal versions but they have o be reasonably priced. Any more than 5€ for a game (N64, good game) would be too much. That's what PC games from that era go for and they come on physical media.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2006, 06:35:35 AM »
Those prices are a little too high, though I'm not really surprised by them.  I actually was prepared for worse.  This is the company that sold Metroid for $20 when it was an unlockable in Metroid: Zero Mission which was only like $10 more.  I'd pay $20 for the REALLY great N64 games like Zelda and Super Mario 64 but I would never take a chance on a game I'm only sort of interested in for that price.  Odds are I could find a used cartridge of the same game for less.  On the NES $3 is a good deal for something like Super Mario Bros 3.  But something like Yier Kung Fu would be a waste of money at that price.  The NES price still isn't that bad.  I want 99 cent games but most used NES games I see in stores cost more than $3.

KDR_11k is right in that this service is competing with piracy so it was to be cheap.  I've got an adapter for my PC that lets me plug my SNES controller into a USB port.  I can play pretty much any NES or SNES game for free right now.  I can safely say that virtually any N64 game I don't already have but I want I could find for $20 Canadian or less.  I don't think I can get any NES game I want for $3 but I'll bet I could balance it out with some games being more expensive and some games less.  With these prices obtaining a used copy is probably still the better way to go.  At least then you get a physical copy and the pricing is not that much different.

The subsription service sucks.  You don't actually get anything for it.  Once you stop subscribing you lose all those games.  When the service ends you'll lose all those games.  If you view it as a rental service then I guess it's okay but you're not really buying anything at all.

I have a feeling Nintendo's natural instinct to pinch every penny is going to seriously limit the potential of the download service.  Much like $30 Player's Choice games the price range is just high enough that it seems like the seller isn't really offering you as good of a deal as they could.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2006, 06:44:11 AM »
ultimately it wasnt cartriges that hurt n64. it was that psx games went down to 9 bucks and old n64 games were still 30 bucks.  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2006, 06:46:37 AM »
The prices are actually pretty decent.  The NES is reasonable, I'd buy the game I want for that much (about five games to equal fifteen dollars).  I won't be subscribing to anything personally, but it seems alright.  The N64 seems kind of pricey, I think a dynamic pricing between ten to fifteen dollars would be fair (fifteen for games like OoT, Mario 64, the classics), but I still own my N64, so there are only a few other games I'll need to get.
Speaking of which, I still need to get Kirby and Mischief Makers back from my friend.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2006, 06:48:52 AM »
anyways n64 games should be 9 bucks about, think about it. You can get alot of psx games and dreamcast games for only $2, in the players choice days they were 9.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2006, 07:32:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

Originally posted by: IceCold
Oh, I dunno, the SPECS ?

You still in denial over that? Whatever.
Sorry, what? You asked what they were speculating over, and even if the Rev specs are true, it's still speculation as Nintendo hasn't said anything at all about them...

EDIT: And about being able to get used S/NES cartridges - you can't overlook the fact that they're really old, and after 20 years or whatever, they're prone to breaking down, or the save battery running out. I had a few cartridges like this, and this problem won't occur for the download service.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2006, 08:09:21 AM »

The subsription service sucks. You don't actually get anything for it. Once you stop subscribing you lose all those games. When the service ends you'll lose all those games. If you view it as a rental service then I guess it's okay but you're not really buying anything at all.
Why's everyone so down about a subscription service?  I can see how you'd want to purchase some games, but I'm sure there are many you'd just like to try.  A subscription in this case is nothing more than renting.  I have a subscription to Netflix and I don't consider it wasted money.  I'm sure everyone here subscribes to at least something--be it a phone (wireless or landline) cable tv or Internet, etc.  

Subscriptions suck!  Why should I spend $50 per month for cable Internet when I lose it if I stop paying?  I should just build my own network for millions of dollars.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!