Author Topic: Kids Love Mario's GC Games  (Read 8074 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Kids Love Mario's GC Games
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:44:54 AM »
Kids rate Mario games second, third and fourth in the Today show's holiday Toy Test.

Did You Know?    

The People Have Spoken: Mario Games Rank Among Today Show's Holiday Best
        Three Mario(TM) games made exclusively for Nintendo GameCube(TM) rank  second, third and fourth in this year's Today show holiday Toy Test.  The  survey collected more than 11,000 ratings from game testers, and Mario's   games earned top marks again and again and again.  Both boys and girls rated  these games highly, and each of the games has been Rated E for Everyone,   meaning they're great fun for the whole family.    

• No. 2: Super Mario(R) Strikers is a frantic soccer-themed game.  
  • No. 3: Mario Superstar Baseball(TM) combines baseball with classic        characters.  
  • No. 4: Dance Dance Revolution(R): Mario Mix gets players off the couch        and burning calories while they shake their booties.    

These high-ranking Toy Test games are sure to move quickly onto holiday  shopping lists. Super Mario Strikers launches on Dec. 5, while the other two  games are available now. Nintendo GameCube, which is celebrating its fourth  anniversary, remains one of the best values for the holiday season, and  Nintendo is offering bundles featuring two titles from the most popular video  game franchises of all time to sweeten the deal. Each bundle sells at an MSRP  of $99.99:  

• The Mario Party(R) 7 bundle includes a Nintendo GameCube, two        controllers and a copy of Mario Party 7.  
  • The limited edition Pokemon(R) XD: Gale of Darkness bundle features a        Nintendo GameCube, a controller, a copy of Pokemon XD: Gale of  Darkness        and a limited edition Pokemon XD faceplate.    

For more information about Nintendo's holiday lineup, please visit  www.nintendo.com

• ::Michael "TYP" Cole
    ::Associate Editor
    Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
      • View Profile
    RE:Kids Love Mario's GC Games
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:51 AM »
    It begs the question: what was first?

Or did I miss it?

The nearby Blockbuster Video STILL doesn't have Mario Superstar Baseball, even after my constant pestering to them to get it.  They better get Super Mario Strikers...

And of course Mario is going to flood someone's lists.  He has like a dozen games this year.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
      • PaleHour
    RE: Kids Love Mario's GC Games
    « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:13:46 AM »
    Burnout Revenge....
    :: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
    ---------------------
    :: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ssj4_android

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 12:53:07 PM »
    Burnout Revenge was seriously numbe one? Well, that game does rock. Anyone have Revenge, Live, and Mario Kart DS?

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
    EA Burnout is teh I LOVE HALO 2. B2 will always be the best.
    "... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
    Hahahaha, say what you want but REVENGE is by far the most well-rounded game. Then it's B4 that takes the cake for most insane.
    "lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 02:55:26 PM »
    Burnout 4 is Revenge.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »
    SCREW YOU NINTENDO WHORING MARIO OUT NOBODY WILL WANT TO PLAY THESE GAME-.. oh.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 05:37:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey

yea, certain members rattle on quite a bit about this, but honestly if it was such a problem, why is it that Mario games still sell so well. I think Nintendo does a very good job with keeping Mario games from getting stale.
    "Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 08:58:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Renny
    EA Burnout is teh I LOVE HALO 2. B2 will always be the best.
    Amen to that.

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
    ---------------------------------------------
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    ----------------------------
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 03:17:25 AM »
    I'm afraid Nintendo will read this as "let's throw Mario into even more unrelated games and never invent a new franchise again!". Grrr... Personally I'd prefer if they stopped putting Mario and friends into their games (maybe except for the platformers), I really hate that guy.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 03:35:43 AM »

They are whoring him out.  These aren't Mario games, they are games with Mario in them.  KDR, I'm not afraid Nintendo will, I know they will.  I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't made a press conference themselves about this infromation.
    Too bad most kids don't have jobs...
    Kiss the Cynic!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 03:42:58 AM »
    Good thing that in his literally dozen games this year or coming soon, that they include a new platformer, New Super Mario Bros. and another RPG, Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time.  I don't mind him playing sports and having parties all the time, but he's best in adventuring mode.

At least Mario's well-suited for spinoffs.  Even though I'd really like Tetra's Trackers to have come in some form in the North American release of Four Swords Adventures, I'm not so sure that Link could or should be doing other things.  Same goes for Samus.  But then again I haven't played Metroid Prime Pinball yet, which sounds better than it initially did...

Anyway, about Nintendo whoring out Mario...was it Nintendo's idea or EA's to include him (and Luigi and Peach) in NBA Street v3 and SSX: On Tour?  (And why not Daisy if they had to do it?)  Somehow I doubt they made them sell tons better than they would have, at least not in "Link-in-Soul Calibur II" proportions.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 04:46:36 AM »

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas

yea, certain members rattle on quite a bit about this, but honestly if it was such a problem, why is it that Mario games still sell so well. I think Nintendo does a very good job with keeping Mario games from getting stale.

I'm one of those members.  I've started to realize that all the spin-offs don't seem to be hurting sales that much, but I still don't like it because it cheapens the series for me.  I'm a total fanatic for the Mario RPGs, but I just barely finished Paper Mario: TTYD and Mario & Luigi: PIT is already coming out.  You can bet I'll buy that game right away, but I'm not as excited about it as I should be.  In fact, I kind of feel like I'm buying it out of a sense of duty to my Mario RPG-heavy website.  And I'm probably going to miss out on Mario Kart DS, Mario DDR, Mario Baseball and Mario Strikers because I just don't have time for that much Mario.
    That's my opinion, not yours.
    Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 04:16:20 PM »

. And I'm probably going to miss out on Mario Kart DS, Mario DDR, Mario Baseball and Mario Strikers because I just don't have time for that much Mario
    For shame, couchmonkey, for shame...
    "I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
    ---------------------------------------------
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    ----------------------------
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 04:52:36 PM »

Originally posted by: odifiend

They are whoring him out.  These aren't Mario games, they are games with Mario in them.
    Uhm... games with Mario in them... arn't Mario games? Sony and Microsoft would do good to have their own flexable franchise(s)/character(s). Much in the way that SqureEnix has started to be flexable with the Final Fatasy franchise (i.e. Tactics Advance, Crystal Chronicals). If you stay the same and never change (like not let mario be anything more then a platformer) you'll wither and die.

KDR, I'm not afraid Nintendo will, I know they will.  I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't made a press conference themselves about this infromation.
    Too bad most kids don't have jobs...
    Why would they need to state the ultra obvious? Its quite common knowlege, Mario is very popular. Mario has been around for 20 years now, its quite obvious Nintendo can manage him without wearing him or his image out.
    "Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 05:12:13 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey

I'm one of those members.  I've started to realize that all the spin-offs don't seem to be hurting sales that much, but I still don't like it because it cheapens the series for me. [...]
    Well, I think it would also be helpful to realize you don't have to buy all of these. Buy the ones that are important or exciting to you. Don't let it bother you if you miss a Mario game. Trust me, Mario won't die off just because you didn't buy his latest game. You'll burn yourself out otherwise. And you can always pick it up later or just jump in along the way.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 11:19:56 PM »
    Why would they need to state the ultra obvious?

Because they're publicly traded and telling shareholders good night stories keeps them calm, even if they've heard that story thousands of times already. You wouldn't want shareholders to start running around like headless chickens again.

Trust me, Mario won't die off just because you didn't buy his latest game.

Too bad, really.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 01:27:34 AM »
    Too bad, really.

In particular what Mario games do you judge not fun? (hence worthy of retiring Mario)  

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 06:58:02 AM »

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas

Originally posted by: odifiend

They are whoring him out.  These aren't Mario games, they are games with Mario in them.
    Uhm... games with Mario in them... arn't Mario games? Sony and Microsoft would do good to have their own flexable franchise(s)/character(s). Much in the way that SqureEnix has started to be flexable with the Final Fatasy franchise (i.e. Tactics Advance, Crystal Chronicals). If you stay the same and never change (like not let mario be anything more then a platformer) you'll wither and die.

Just because Sony and Mircosoft would/do (Masterchief in DOA4) also whore their franchises out, doesn't mean Nintendo isn't doing it.  So would you say that DDR with Mario, SSX on Tour, and NBA Street v.3 are not examples of Nintendo allowing Mario to be in random games too freely?
    It would almost be better if Nintendo had made new characters to be having parties and playing sports... Many Nintendo fans have to be experiencing a Mario saturation.  Nintendo's entire line is practically Mario.  If this stays the same and never changes, they'll wither and die.

I won't go so far as saying Mario needs to be retired, but maybe he should take a break from all this fun vacationing.  Mario Golf: GCN was no fun compared with the original (Why was mini golf taken out?).  Mario Tennis: I didn't enjoy as much as the 64 version, so after been dissappointed twice, I'm not doing anymore Mario sports.  I won't even get into Mario Party...
    Kiss the Cynic!

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 10:43:42 AM »
    Just because Sony and Mircosoft would/do (Masterchief in DOA4) also whore their franchises out, doesn't mean Nintendo isn't doing it.

No, I am not saying to put master cheif in some ridiculus situation (i.e. Masterchief in DOA4), what I am saying is Sony and Microsoft would really benifit themselves by having a character(s) or franchise(s) that was as flexable as Mario is. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but neither have anything like that. They are all inflexable, Sam Fisher would be out of place anywhere but a stealth game, Master Cheif would be out of place anywhere but a FPS. What the hell else would you do with Blix? He's just this badass cat with attitude. Same with Crash Bandicoot. These are personas / personalities targeted at a very specific customers. The reason why Mario is so popular is because he can be enjoyed by everyone. Yes, children and athletic jocks alike can and DO enjoy mario. He's not just a stealth agent, or army general, or bad ass cat, or strange ape looking thing. Mario, Bowser, and his goonies (be it koopa troops, Bullet Bill, or his children) are characters you can really get to know and really like. Unlike Sam Fisher or Master Chief who's image you either identify as cool or not.

So would you say that DDR with Mario, SSX on Tour, and NBA Street v.3 are not examples of Nintendo allowing Mario to be in random games too freely?

DDR is a really fun and popular game. Mix DDR w/ Mario Tunes, graphics, and the characters that we all know and love and you've got a really great combination, its an excellent expansion of the Mario universe. You're a fool if you can't see this.

As far as the NBA Street, its a cameo first of all, not a lead role. And second its a great clash of stereotypes. "Oh you think you're such a bad ass, eh? Well i'm going to lay the smack down on you know with PEACH!" And as for SSX I didn't even know he had a cameo in there, doesn't suprise me though, he is univerally well liked, and probably a nice unlockable.

You know what is really pathetic? That for SoulCalibur 2, neither Sony or Microsoft had charaters to fit in as the system exclusive selectable character. Sony had to bring a weapon less fighter character in to a weapon based fighting game and Microsoft had to contract out for Spawn who supposedly is a good fit because because his costume is all black and shoots neon green goo.

It would almost be better if Nintendo had made new characters to be having parties and playing sports... [...] If this stays the same and never changes, they'll wither and die.

The idea of Mario kart/baseball/tennis and such is that Bowser and Mario can set aside their differences for a moment and just have some fun togther. You personally may not enjoy the game, but thousands of other people do. You wonder why Mario Party continues to sell well? Geez maybe because its constantly changing and its just a good party game?

Many Nintendo fans have to be experiencing a Mario saturation.  Nintendo's entire line is practically Mario.

You're got very limited sight then. What about Pokemon? What about Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Nintendogs? What about those nice 3rd party games like Megaman, Castlevainia, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem. There are plently of other games to play.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 12:37:04 PM »
    DDR is a really fun and popular game. Mix DDR w/ Mario Tunes, graphics, and the characters that we all know and love and you've got a really great combination, its an excellent expansion of the Mario universe. You're a fool if you can't see this.
    Why do you feel that the Mario universe needs to be expanded?  More importantly why does Mario need to be present in a game that is really fun and popular on its own?  With this Mario borrowing move, Nintendo is placing themselves in a vicious cycle.  3rd parties will start demanding Mario in their games in hopes of moving a couple more thousand units.  But as couchmonkey was saying earlier, you get overloaded with Mario.  

"You know what is really pathetic? That for SoulCalibur 2, neither Sony or Microsoft had charaters to fit in as the system exclusive selectable character. Sony had to bring a weapon less fighter character in to a weapon based fighting game and Microsoft had to contract out for Spawn who supposedly is a good fit because because his costume is all black and shoots neon green goo."
    Hiatchi is Playstation exclusive and also part of Namco's own line of fighters.  Spawn was contracted because Todd MacFarlene, Spawn's creator, was a huge presence in Soul Calibur 2.  He also designed Necrid.  Fanboyism is tolerated only if you know what you are talking about...

"The idea of Mario kart/baseball/tennis and such is that Nintendo wants to cash in on Mario's appeal" - fixed it for you...

Umm, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem are first party.  
    31 Flavas, I dare you to ratio Nintendo's other franchise games to mario's games on the GCN.  Here I'll start you off:

Fire Emblem: 1 Advance Wars: 1/2 Pokemon: 3 Zelda: 1 Donkey Kong: 4 Kirby: 1 Nintendogs: 0  Mario: ~20
    Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • Score: 11
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 12:44:58 PM »
    I thought the idea of videogames was to have fun.
    kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 12:51:15 PM »
    How naive of you.
    Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 12:52:08 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
    I thought the idea of videogames was to have fun.

What kind of bizarro world do you live in?
    I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!