Author Topic: "24" Discussion  (Read 4802 times)

Offline reyontoyeny

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
"24" Discussion
« on: February 16, 2003, 05:13:25 PM »
SPOILER ALERT
I probably made myself very aware that I love this show to death. I hesitated to purchase the first season on DVD since I already have the whole show on tape. I'm glad I never purchased it, because I just made a discovery. While I knew European television has less commercials, I always thought it would be like only 15 seconds of more 24 per an hour, or maybe 10 minutes or something for the whole first season.

Later I discovered this link:
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000071742

The 24 DVD in Europe (Region 2) has 1041 minutes of the show.

The 24 DVD in Region 1 has 960.

That's 81 minutes more of the show. That's enough to call the show "26" considering commercials! I'm going to find some way to import this DVD. (Ma, ybe along the way, I could get Doshin the Giant...) I heard some scenes include Teri telling Nina that she's pregnant, and Jack reloading his gun while fighting in the final episode. (Assuming that the telling Nina about the pregnancy thing was well constructed,) they should have kept it in the US version. This would show how truly evil and backstabbing Nina was for killing Teri. Before I only creditted Nina's motive for killing Teri to that she could have connected her to Germany, and that killing her was no different from killing Jamey or the guards. But if Nina was willing to kill Teri knowing she was pregnant, her appearences later in season two with Jack would have felt more tense and suspenseful.

Another note, the second season is halfway over. Didn't it go by really fast? While I don't want to be annoying and post my reactions and speculations for a still unfinished season production wise, I'll just say the show managed to be entertaining. After the first season ended with Jack's wife dead, and Kim ended up being kidnapped two times in one day, I wasn't sure how they could have maintained an interesting second season without recycling more elements of season one. I was surprised that the show hasn't jumped the shark after 36 episodes. The show continues to be a refreshing and suspenseful thriller, and you cannot get "used to" all the plot twists happening per an episode. I don't know how long the show could continue being this great. If the bomb is set to go off sometime in the next 2 or 3 episodes, that would still be over eight episodes to fill. What will they do? Second nuclear bomb? Jack looking for Kim? How about the third season? The show's writers can't really top a nuclear bomb crisis. Or can they?

I'm tired of acting like a human commercial for the show, but I just wanted to get a lot of what I have to say about the show off my chest. To be honest, while the whole Kim subplot was interesting up to the discovery of Carla's body, right now, they have no clue what to do. Until I see a more direct connection with the whole plot, I see the show's problem to be how they still have to keep her in the show. Kim's subplot should have ended with the assumption that she arrived safely to her aunt's house or something, rather than having to come up with something for her to do every hour.

Well overall, I can't wait for the next episode, and I hope to still be surprised. I loved last Tuesday's episode.

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 01:17:45 AM »
Getting a European 24 DVD won't help you unless you have a European DVD player with a European TV  ( PAL vs NTSC ). European DVDs won't play in US players and vice versa. And besides that I hang out in some European 24 sites and those Euro DVDs supposedly have some technical problems.

Offline reyontoyeny

• View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 06:18:48 AM »
I know. I'm well aware of this whole region thing. But technical errors?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 02:01:41 PM »
"If the bomb is set to go off sometime in the next 2 or 3 episodes, that would still be over eight episodes to fill. What will they do? Second nuclear bomb? Jack looking for Kim? How about the third season? The show's writers can't really top a nuclear bomb crisis. Or can they?"

I think they'll have the bomb go off before the show is over and Jack has to TRAVEL BACK IN TIME to stop it thus making up the remaining 8 hours.

Or maybe that won't happen.  It sure would be kind of funny for the show to take such a crazy dive like that.

Last episode smoked ass but I really wonder what the hell is supposed to happen when they supposedly know where the bomb is and are on their way to stop it.  The best solution I can figure is that the bomb is all BS and is just a diversion for something else.

One thing I have to bring up is what ever happened with the CTU bombing?  In the last few episodes CTU seems to be working perfectly fine.  Didn't a f*cking bomb trash the place?  Why the hell is everything so peechy over there all of the sudden?

Remember my rule of 24:  Any sort of cliffhanger from one episode will be resolved within the first five minutes of the next episode.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 02:53:31 PM »
Wondering where the whole "Kim" subplot is headed?  I've heard commercials in the past couple of days that seem to insinuate that Jack is going to have to pick saving an entire city over saving his daughter.  Having Jack's family further destroyed is going to give his character a very interesting turn, I think.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline EL PARRo

• View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 04:55:13 PM »
I think that next season there might be something involving chemical or biologcal weapons, but until then I'll just sit back and watch the rest of this season unfold. The next new episode comes on in one hour and six minutes, PST. I wonder what will happen with that rogue military group standing between Jack and the bomb. I hope there is another shootout, like after the plane crash. That would be tight.

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 09:20:52 AM »
I hope they call season 3 "72""

El Pollo Diablos
Nintendo is going to treat us good:F-Zero and Star Fox Armada, new Pikmin, 1080, Kirby, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and 2 or 3 new franchises ( maybe mature).
Planning on buying an Xbox! Now all I nead is a good gamertag for Live!

Offline Sean

• View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 05:05:07 PM »
"24" is friggin' brilliant.  I missed the first season, but got it for Christmas on DVD.  I watched the entire series in a day and a half.  It was a little surreal, and admittedly I felt like a huge loser with no life, but I LITERALLY could not tear myself away.  A lot of fun, very well shot, very well acted, very well written, with just a couple of lame subplots and twists (the amnesia thing was RIDICULOUS).

Anyway, I've seen one episode of Season two (obviously I couldn't see the first half before Christmas since I only started watching it after Christmas), and I'm having a rough time staying away from it until it either starts over or it comes out on DVD late this summer.  Sucks, really.  Haha...hopefully Fox will re-run the whole show in 24 hours like they did with Season 1 and I can tape it and watch it later.  That's ideal.  Anyway, great, great show.

Any early word on when it'll be reshown?
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Jamesinclair

• View Profile
"24" Discussion
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 02:03:23 PM »
[I didnt know that the European version was longer...i might import.
I bought a mulit region Gradiente DVD player and my TV is modded for both NSTC and Pal-M signals. Im sure regualr PAL shouldnt be an issue.
Taking over the boards one post at a time