Author Topic: PGC is Six Years Old!  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PGC is Six Years Old!
« on: March 06, 2005, 07:44:54 PM »
We're this many.

You may have noticed that we like to announce whenever one of our staff members has a birthday, since PGC is like a family anyway.  Well, we also like to take the first weekend in March every year to celebrate the website's own birthday.  Planet GameCube was born in 1999 and is still here today, covering not only GameCube but all of Nintendo's current and upcoming systems.  Six years is pretty darn old for a website!  Although we're proud to have stuck around for this long, we're even prouder of the quality of work we do for you, the readers, year after year.  In fact, we've been so busy in the past few weeks (just take a look at the Editorials section, among other things), that our birthday snuck up before we even had time to think about doing anything really special for it!  Even without a fancy contest this year, we hope you'll celebrate today by thinking back on some of the great and crazy moments in PGC history, and look forward to many more yet to come.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE: PGC is Six Years Old!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 08:42:52 PM »
Whoa six years... I must have ben here for about 5 myself.

PGC offers the best new, reviews and editorials that the web can offer. For another gloroius 6 Years!

Happy Birthday.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 08:55:15 PM »
Planet N2000 started a good two and a half years before the GameCube was released which gives a good idea of where we are today (expecting a new Nintendo console in just a year and a half tops).  Nintendo is just as tight-lipped as ever, that's for sure.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 09:01:36 PM »
I feel all newbie-ish, I've only been here for two or three.

Have birthday, PGC.  And many more.

Haha, have birthday.  I should say that more often.  I meant happy, of course, I have no idea how that happened
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE:PGC is Six Years Old!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 09:14:23 PM »
Happy B-Day PGC! I started coming here for news and forums fun right before the GCN launched. I remember because I was just out looking for a new place to post about launch night stories (A fav of mine) when I stumbled across PGC and got into a great cube launch thread that totally hooked me.

Granted I don't post so much these days. (Some might say ever) But I do have plenty of good memories involving this site. Including the day I found out that Rick Powers had invited me to the invite only forum called "wrestling chatter" which has of course been locked down for eons now but still, it made me feel really speacial.

I love this place and have considered it to be a model site for the way a fansite should be run. So many things that I have seen done here have influenced the way I work at Nintendo-Reloaded.

Job well done guys. Please keep this place going. The Nintendo fanworld wouldn't be the same without you.  

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 09:48:53 PM »

You guys should make the site green like it used to be for one day!
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 09:49:21 PM »
Shouldn't you have made a PlanetRevolution or PlanetN2006 by now? Gonna be weird to come to PlanetGamecube when the next console comes out...

But I digress. Happy birthday PGC... I've been here since before the GC launched. In fact I came here quite by accident right after learning the Gamecube's name... figured there'd be a Gamespy "planetwhatever" site about it.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 11:42:57 PM »
I can't remeber how in the hell I heard about this place. All I know is it rocks my socks!

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 01:40:16 AM »
Happy birthday PGC.  Now as one of the elder readers of the site (as far as #years reading goes) I've seen lots of staff come and go.  I've seen the site go through some huge troubles too.  But your still here alive and kicking.  Eventhough most of my time now is dedicated to my work over at Advanced Media Network, I still comeby to check in everyday.  Heres to another 6 years.

Hope to see you guys at E3 again this year.  It was coo last year.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 03:06:03 AM »
Congratulations on the six years, guys.  I've only been coming around for about 2 years now, so I'm kind of new, but I want so put out a thanks to all the staff members for making this site so great to visit.  Keep up the great work!
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 04:27:26 AM »
I found out about PlanetGameCube when the Nintendo fansite I was working for reported that PGC had gotten a scoop of sorts on the first videos for StarFox Adventures, so I guess that was around E3 2001?  Congratulations guys.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 07:22:20 AM »
I've come here for news for about the past 4 years, and this has always been one of my favorite sites.  Anyone know how Billy's doing?

Offline Jamesinclair

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 09:48:41 AM »
6 years is a huge amount of time on the web, especially for smaller sites like yourself which dont rely on huge corporations for funs, but just simple banner ads.

Ive been coming for...what? 3.5 years now, and I still visit today. Yes, there was a rocky period right after Billy left, but you guys definitly picked up and continued with a great website.

Congrats.  
Taking over the boards one post at a time

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 10:26:22 AM »
"Shouldn't you have made a PlanetRevolution or PlanetN2006 by now?"

I figure they should wait until the Revolution is official revealed in case of a name change.  Planet Revolution is going to sound dumb if Nintendo debuts the "Super Duper Nintendo" at E3.  I suggest not using a console name but rather something generic that relates to Nintendo.  Otherwise you have to change the name every five years or so.

Anyhoo congratulations on 6 years.  I've really loved the site in 2005 so far and I can't wait for E3 when you'll hopefully be covering the Revolution's debut.

I've been coming here since 2000.  Damn that makes me feel old.  I was a teenager back then.  I used to think that at this age I would own a house and maybe even have kids by now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 10:35:39 AM »
I should just copy and paste some other peeps posts..wow 6 years...iv been here since i was like what 15? I'm almost 21 now...yeah long time! Its almost e3..and of course i usually ghost during the quiet times..but im sure my post count will go up tremendously soon  heheheheheh
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 11:03:18 AM »
Hmm, I guess ive been around for more or less 5 years. I remember my friend telling me about it and then instantly setting it to my browser's homepage (which it has been ever since ) You guys really know your stuff and helped me become an even stronger Nintendo fan. Thanks for all the great years and heres to many many more.

Shine get, PGC...Shine get
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 11:08:00 AM »
I found the page as the top result in a google search for gamecube fansite so it can't be that small .

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2005, 11:56:36 AM »
I did the same thing as KDR.
Happy Anniversary of Creation Celebration Day Planet Gamecube.
I remember my first visit, my first post, and so on. It feels great to look back on these things.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2005, 11:57:05 AM »
wow, we're 3rd highest for just plain old gamecube (right under nintendo.com and cube.ign.com)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 01:11:14 PM »
Google is basically how I found PGC some years back, but it was  while before I actually joined the forums.  I blame 56k ;___;  But now I'm here to stay whether any of you like it or not...

I should just copy and paste some other peeps posts..wow 6 years...
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 01:15:41 PM »
Wow, this place has been around a long time.  Happy Birthday PGC.  

Rick, do you think you could get a hold of Billy B or Justin Nation?
It would be cool to see what they have to say about there baby.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 02:18:58 PM »
Six years seems to have passed by so fast.  I've been coming here since the OPN2000 days. There was a good discussion on Project Dolphin in a single thread forum(you had to pay attention carefully cause all discussion on all topics happened in the 2 or 3 different threads).

I didn't post much back then (I also blame 56k <more like 38.4k>) but now I have a lot of freetime at work and post alot more.

but anyway
Happy 6th Birthday
and here is to 6 more  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 04:50:56 PM »
Happy B-day PGC! This one's for you

This one's for Teh LoUiE!

Thanks for the quality work over the years, and not charging the fans a cent.  May Reggie give you an ass-kicking exclusive this year

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 05:13:51 PM »
Happy 6th Birthday PGC!!

I have been reading the news and editorials at the site for about 3 years and i must say it is the most interesting and easy-to-read gamecube site on the net!

Well Done!
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2005, 05:47:12 PM »
Happy Birthday PGC... It's been great and I hope it continues to be great...

I originally found the site back when gamespy (i think) called all their sites planetsomething or other... like plantxbox, planetps2, etc.  I typed PlanetGamecube into my browser and for like the first 6 months thought you were affiliated with them... =P

Anyway, I look forward to your e3 coverage this year...

...and the next time you are looking for new staffers... =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram