Author Topic: Just tried the Nintendo DS for the first time and it´s a blast!  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Yes, we don´t officially get it over here until March 11, but i was fortunate enough to get to try the Nintendo DS in one of our EB Games shops where the manager had imported one for himself. And my first impression is that it´s a blast to play! Mario 64 resurrected with prettier graphics, Metroid Prime Hunters demo, I am sure you all know this so well now. But to me it was fabulous. So I know that Nintendo will be very successfull with it, and that the PSP will have heavy competition from it as it will both be nearly 3 times more expensive, and will not boast any games that are but the same as on PS2 which you can play better and bigger on a tv.

God bless Mighty Nintendo!!!!
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE: Just tried the Nintendo DS for the first time and it´s a blast!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 03:10:00 AM »
I have yet to play it but NIntenbdo are touring around the UK at the moment.

I'm more concerned about left-handed players and whether developers will "remember" them.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
RE:Just tried the Nintendo DS for the first time and it´s a blast!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 04:22:23 AM »
Well all it requires is a flipping of the Dpad and the 4 buttons to accomodate a southpaw

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 05:35:36 AM »
Plugabugz: I have a feeling that Nintendo has "support for left-handed people" on its list of requirements for DS games.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 07:28:33 AM »
I live in America and I still have yet to play a DS.  
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Just tried the Nintendo DS for the first time and it´s a blast!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 07:31:54 AM »

I'm more concerned about left-handed players and whether developers will "remember" them.

Actually, Plugabugz, I think I'd have an easier time with Super Mario 64 DS if I were left handed.  Perhaps I underestimate the necessity of button usage, though.  Anyway, I believe they generally accomodate left-handers.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 08:44:50 AM »
n00b = noble~feather
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »
If "left handed" people are in the requirements thats good, but I would like to know whether developers will make games knowing that left handed people cant control using the directional buttons and hold a stylus at the same time.

Bear in mind I haven't played a DS yet so I could easily be wrong.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:24:32 PM »
I'm left handed too, and the DS works fine for me. If you're using the touch screen then there will be four face buttons and one shoulder button available to you regardless of what hand you've got the stylus in, so it's no problem for developers to map the same function to both sides. For example, in SM 64 DS you can use the stylus for movement, and the ABXY/whatever buttons on the right side are mapped the same as the D-pad.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 04:01:55 PM »
Erm, where are all these left handed complaints coming from? Do you complain about where the analog stick is on controllers too, or is this a stylus only thing?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 11:50:26 PM »
Stylus = pen = drawing = I suck at drawing with my right hand.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 04:21:41 PM »
Yeah it's cause of the stylus. Although that doesn't mean the tiny buttons can't be a little bigger.
I'd also rather have the DS debut at $200 with some more power but that's just me After all the only advantage the PSP has is more power and if that's gone then, well, why get a PSP?  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 06:45:35 AM »
The PSP is sold immensely under value, no way Nintendo could beat both its price AND power. Sony can barely survive manufacturing it because they can do almost everything inhouse.