Author Topic: Must-read IGN editorial on Nintendo and upcoming E3 show  (Read 21639 times)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I understand where ur coming from but what im saying is that the CONSUMERS are going to make their decisions at E3. Nintendo has to show them then with solid proff that they can compete with my post is a train wreck and Sony.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
...ok i did not type train wreck so I dont know what just happened. But what i was saying is that they need to prove that they need to prove that they can compete with sony and my post is a train wreck.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"It would be worse if Nintendo had a bad showing at E3 rather than a subdued showing, rushing to meet E3 would be worse than pointless."

You're assuming Nintendo has to rush to meet E3.  If they're on the ball and doing things right then they can be ready to show something at E3.  And if they're not in a position to show stuff yet then I think they've already lost.  There's no way they can launch before the PS3 otherwise.  Having a poor showing at E3 would be bad but Nintendo shouldn't be at that position right now.  If they're not it doesn't matter what they show or when they show it they're already behind and are thus already screwed.  If they're launching in 2006 then debuting at E3 2005 should been part of their plan well ahead of time.

Oh and MS rushed E3 2001.  Halo was clearly not very ready at that point and there was a lot of talk that the Xbox just wasn't going to make it.  But they pulled it all together and delivered the console on time with Halo (which was polished enough to be one of this gen's best sellers).  They weren't completely ready for E3 but they HAD to show something so they did and they recovered from it.  They had to show the Xbox because it was the last E3 before launch.  If Nintendo launches the Rev within the first half of 2006 then E3 2006 is TOO LATE.  And if they don't launch in the first half the chances of them beating Sony to the market are pretty much nil.  They don't have time to wait.  And there has to be an E3 showing before launch.  That's the big show.  Nothing else is good enough.  E3 recap on the cover sells magazines.  Private Nintendo show that the average gamer doesn't know about doesn't even end up on the cover.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
Does typing Microsoft with a M and an $ make it to my post is a train wreck?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Yes...

"We realize that things such as having a strong software line-up at launch is critical to the success of Revolution. We understand what kinds of technologies and experiences the market is asking for. You are certainly correct that our financial and creative resources are vast, and we intend to fully flex this muscle more than ever in the coming years."~~George Harrison
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
I think Nintendo should and will show off their system at E3. To what capacity, who knows, but they're in a sticky position due to the kind of hype they're generating for it. PS3 will be shown, but besides a tech demo or two to show off the power of the Cell, it doesn't really need any game demos since everyone pretty much knows what they're getting: an enhanced Playstation. Xbox 2 will need to show off playable games since its due up at the end of the year. Nintendo on the other hand has promised that the Rev will be revolutionary, and will thus need to prove how and why it is. Whether this needs to be done with actual hands-on play remains to be seen, which looks to be the main point of debate here. If showing playable games will overextend what Ninty is capable of showing off then they shouldn't, but if it's necessary to show off what's revolutionary about the Rev, then they should.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Heh.  George Harrison.  "Oh my God!  Where did you get that brownie?!"  "Over there.  There's a big pile of them."

"We realize that things such as having a strong software line-up at launch is critical to the success of Revolution" is the best thing I've heard yet regarding the Revolution.  If this truly is their plan then they have no reason not to show the Rev at E3.  If that's their plan they have to be reasonably ready by now to at least demo some stuff behind curtains.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile

You're assuming Nintendo has to rush to meet E3. If they're on the ball and doing things right then they can be ready to show something at E3. And if they're not in a position to show stuff yet then I think they've already lost. There's no way they can launch before the PS3 otherwise. Having a poor showing at E3 would be bad but Nintendo shouldn't be at that position right now. If they're not it doesn't matter what they show or when they show it they're already behind and are thus already screwed. If they're launching in 2006 then debuting at E3 2005 should been part of their plan well ahead of time.

Debuting is one thing, being playable is another, with nintendo being as tightlipped as they are and only having decided on the final spes of the Rev rather recently, its quite likely that internal, let alone external devs have had little time to play with the dev kits, that makes it unlikely they will have much playable at E3, I'd rather them take their time and then show us something big when they are ready.

That's my basic point, Nintendo shouldn't rush to meet E3, if they can have demos which they are satisfied with at E3, all well and good, if not then I would rather wait until they do for them to show us.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
my post is a train wreck my post is a train wreck my post is a train wreck my post is a train wreck my post is a train wreck my post is a train wreck my post is a train wreck my post is a train wreck
Im learning!