Author Topic: Karma is back for a trial run!  (Read 216845 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Karma is back for a trial run!
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
Which may not happen for some, I have a feeling that I am at -2 because of vudu (who has not tried to hide the fact that he doesn't like me).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
people...sorry.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
Which may not happen for some, I have a feeling that I am at -2 because of vudu (who has not tried to hide the fact that he doesn't like me).
Disclaimer: I am in no way confirming vudu (or anyone) has a vendetta against you. Just working from your assumption.

Well, theoretically, as more and more people get the ability to rate others, one person will no longer have that level of control over your score.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »
I was aiming for a -5, do I get something special when I get there?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »
No one is ever going to get to 5 at this rate. Officially changing the breakoff point to 1.

Insanolord currently has 4 points--he was gonna get it soon!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »
I have 1 point and I can't seem to rate other's scores yet. Or did I miss the window and it got changed back?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »

No, you have a negative rating because you insist on correcting people for things that ultimately don't matter all that much.  It's one thing to appreciate proper spelling and grammar--it's another to chastise someone regarding Star Fox vs. StarFox.

And for what it's worth I think I've smited you twice and applauded you once.  I make liberal use of the karma system.  But judging from your -3 score, I'm not the only one who does.

theoretically, as more and more people get the ability to rate others, one person will no longer have that level of control over your score.

This is what I was counting on and why I think it's better to leave the threshold at 5.  Anyone can get a score of 1--even Stratos!  :P  Make 'em work for it!

EDIT:  Holy crap, my score's now 5!  No idea how/why this is happening--but that's half the fun, isn't it?  ;D

EDIT #2:  Just noticed that TJ Spyke's score is now -4.  I totally didn't do that!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:07:53 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
This is what I was counting on and why I think it's better to leave the threshold at 5.  Anyone can get a score of 1--even Stratos!  :P:  Make 'em work for it!

Haha :P

But I do agree with you the 5 is a good threshold. Some people are close to it already. It's not a magic formula that gives everyone powers overnight. I figure most of the regulars could easily get 5 points within a few months time. Its caused me to look at my posting and I've realized that the quality of my posts has dropped since I first came here. So it shows that I have room to improve.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
I don't think karma works the way Pale thinks it does.  You're not going to be able to do anything special without us installing mods.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:40:16 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »
I really thik w should be able to see who gives karma and for what posts. Every message board i've been a member of does that (you get a PM letting you know who gave you praise/karma/whatever and the post for it, along with optional comments). I really don't think I have done anything worth this much negative karma, I think anybody who gives negative karma should at least have the decency to PM the person and say why (it also helps that person know what not to do).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »
(it also helps that person know what not to do).

In your case I'd recommend stop acting like a know-it-all and stop correcting people regarding stuff no one cares about.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Because people don't like when people point out their mistakes so they can avoid making them in the future? If I got something wrong, I would be happy if someone corrected me (not give them negative karma and avoid telling them). This omission needs to be corrected.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
I rated vudu and tried to take away a point, then it gave him one.  Whoops.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:20 PM »
I'm in the negatives? I wonder why.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2010, 11:33:15 PM »
I have 1 point and I can't seem to rate other's scores yet. Or did I miss the window and it got changed back?

Same?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2010, 11:44:06 PM »
I noticed vudu has four points now.  I'd like to thank whomever adjusted vudu's score to fix my mistake from earlier, but also note that I accidentally did this at least twice more.  As such, if possible, could someone remove two more points from vudu to make up for my egregious and disgusting error?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »
I don't think karma works the way Pale thinks it does.  You're not going to be able to do anything special without us installing mods.
Lame. You are totally right.

It has a minimum "posts" thing that I read as points.

What the hell is the point on having a minimum posts if it's locked to mods. This is lame. I'm gonna try and figure this out.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
Ok, so no way to base the ability to award points on what your current score is.

Therefore, I believe I set it up so anyone with 1000 or more posts now has the ability.

We'll see how this goes.
---------------------

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »
Therefore, I believe I set it up so anyone with 1000 or more posts now has the ability.

Isn't this just going to encourage spamming the board until you reach 1,000 posts?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
You could just delete posts that you believe are spam, that seems to work on other forums where there are incentives based on post count. Eventually people will get the idea that they have to do real posts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
There is a mod that converts post-based groups into karma-based groups.  The problem is that I'm using the post-based groups feature to inhibit profile spamming.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
I'm a little confused by this system: what exactly is the point of it?  So far, all it seems to me is a way for users to be jerks to each other and Smite their karma every time someone says something that they don't agree with.  This being the internet, I doubt we'll see much applauding when you can take negative action against someone.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
I'm a little confused by this system: what exactly is the point of it?

Why's everything gotta have a point?  Why can't it just be fun?

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2010, 12:15:01 AM »
Fun? That's it! Smiting this vudu guy.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »

Isn't this just going to encourage spamming the board until you reach 1,000 posts?

That's been my experience on other forums.

Edit:  Whee!  I got my first negative vote!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:34:49 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost