Author Topic: Is Nintendo Becoming Lazy?  (Read 18493 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Is Nintendo Becoming Lazy?
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
Let me say here that I really enjoyed what I played of Nintendo Land, and it felt like Nintendo put a lot of effort into it, much more so than Wii Sports. I'm pretty sure it'll be packed in, but if it isn't I'll probably buy it separately because 4 of the 5 games they showed at E3 were really fun.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Let me say here that I really enjoyed what I played of Nintendo Land, and it felt like Nintendo put a lot of effort into it, much more so than Wii Sports. I'm pretty sure it'll be packed in, but if it isn't I'll probably buy it separately because 4 of the 5 games they showed at E3 were really fun.

Just out of curiousity, what was wrong with the 5th game?
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »
The fifth game (Takamura's Ninja Castle) wasn't really bad, but it wasn't on the same level as the other four. I could see myself sinking hours into Donkey Kong and Animal Crossing, but I'd probably only play Takamura for a few minutes every now and then. It's a decent tech demo, and is fun in short bursts, but the others are a lot more fleshed out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Nintendo Land is your only chance to play F-Zero in HD, nerds. Give Nintendo your money and tears.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »
3rd parties didn't fill the gaps during the GCN days and all of a sudden the GameCube is so popular for what ever reason on these boards.
3rd Parties released a lot of games for the GCN in its first three years.  We got a ton of support during that time.  Nintendo's problem is they didn't know how to market their system.  They chose to go one route and the masses did not follow. 

The reason why the GCN is popular around here is not because the system was successful.  Far from it.  I remember that there were constant complaints about how Nintendo was selling the system wrong and they needed to do more marketing and all that stuff.  What was not complained about were the games that they released.  Yes there were some droughts (including the normal one at the end of the console's lifecycle).  But 90% of the Nintendo games were well received around here.  The Wii has the opposite.  The marketing was amazing.  They sold that system to people who never picked up video games in their lives.  The problem with the Wii was that people around here were not enjoying the games like past systems.  So, they look fondly at the GCN because they don't remember complaining about those games.

My personal opinion was that I enjoyed the GCN more but mainly because I believe the controller to be the greatest controller of all time.  So any game that I could play with that controller, I would do it.  It's the only way I played Brawl or Mario Kart.  Give me a pro controller for the Wii U designed like the GCN controller and I would buy 12 of them (over a long period of time as I can't afford that many at once :)  ).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
On the Gamecube I could trust that when Nintendo released a new game it was almost always great.  On the Wii I could no longer trust that, mostly because I knew some bullshit controls were going to be shoehorned in.  Since the N64, Nintendo consoles have been largely defined on the first party output and I just find the Wii's first party output to be the weakest of all their consoles.  The Gamecube's first party library is just superior.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
On the Gamecube I could trust that when Nintendo released a new game it was almost always great.  On the Wii I could no longer trust that, mostly because I knew some bullshit controls were going to be shoehorned in.

Actually, my personal experience is the opposite. On the GameCube I lost my faith in Nintendo's first-armor purity. I didn't love Sunshine, nor Windwaker. I didn't get into Pikmin 2. I found Mario Kart 7 meh. I loved many games on GameCube, but I also found myself questioning Nintendo's ability to keep delivering the game and mind-expanding magic I'd known them for up until that system.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »
On the Gamecube I could trust that when Nintendo released a new game it was almost always great.  On the Wii I could no longer trust that, mostly because I knew some bullshit controls were going to be shoehorned in.

Actually, my personal experience is the opposite. On the GameCube I lost my faith in Nintendo's first-armor purity. I didn't love Sunshine, nor Windwaker. I didn't get into Pikmin 2. I found Mario 3D Kart meh. I loved many games on GameCube, but I also found myself questioning Nintendo's ability to keep delivering the game and mind-expanding magic I'd known them for up until that system.

Actually I also found myself questioning Nintendo's ability to keep delivering the goods and largely because of games like Sunshine and WW.  Only in retrospect I look at it as the warning signs for what was to come with the Wii.  They were slipping on the Cube but it didn't get to a point where I lost faith in them.  Basically Nintendo's output on the Cube was still consistently great but often noticably inferior to their N64 efforts.  It suggested that they had peaked.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »

Actually, my personal experience is the opposite. On the GameCube I lost my faith in Nintendo's first-armor purity. I didn't love Sunshine, nor Windwaker. I didn't get into Pikmin 2. I found Mario 3D Kart meh. I loved many games on GameCube, but I also found myself questioning Nintendo's ability to keep delivering the game and mind-expanding magic I'd known them for up until that system.

Actually I also found myself questioning Nintendo's ability to keep delivering the goods and largely because of games like Sunshine and WW.  Only in retrospect I look at it as the warning signs for what was to come with the Wii.  They were slipping on the Cube but it didn't get to a point where I lost faith in them.  Basically Nintendo's output on the Cube was still consistently great but often noticably inferior to their N64 efforts.  It suggested that they had peaked.

Yeah. I felt it pretty extremely in the GC days, I'm not a fan of Nintendo just because of "great" games, but also because of "new" ones. Which is why I am a big fan of the Wii and what it did for them. I strongly believe that Nintendo's innovation isn't just in software, it's in how their software interacts with their hardware. Nintendo needed to refresh that dynamic to recapture their momentum and I feel they did just that.

I must say though that I completely understand your dislike of the resulting dilution and fading from prominence of Nintendo's trademark crisply responsive controls that resulted. I LOVED the GC controller and part of the reason I'm a Nintendo fan is that (I delude myself into believing) I can tell a Miyamoto game by TOUCH. There's just that magical melding of hand and controller and mind and game that I LOVE Mario games for, and even Pikmin. *sighs happily* The devaluation of that on the Wii is a valid point in many respects, but given the context I'm still quite happy to have a Wii instead of a GameCube 2.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »
I'm still quite happy to have a Wii instead of a GameCube 2.
But the Wii was a Gamecube 1.5.  So the Wii U is the Gamecube 2.  You don't want the Wii U?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
But the Wii was a Gamecube 1.5.  So the Wii U is the Gamecube 2.  You don't want the Wii U?

>_<

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »

You deserve a +1
is your sanity...

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:33 AM »
I don't understand how someone could conclude a that a large company with thousands of employees is cumulatively lazy. Could you be more specific? I could understand "unoriginal," sure. I kinda think it's more likely that they are making highly calculated and active marketing decisions that you don't agree with.

Agreed. Not understanding what is meant by "lazy" when you can be sure Nintendo is trying to squeeze all of their available resources to create profitable revenue drivers. They are very busy people over there and, hopefully, feeling a sense of desperation to prove their products because this transitional period is the most dangerous time to lose market and mind share.

Their marketing direction however, especially regarding my own U.S. home market, is not something I am pleased with.
I definitely think they can improve on the way they communicate with their customer base, their scope in promoting titles and most recently I am questioning their market awareness (looking at their colour choices for 3DS XL launch). They were out-marketed by a grass-roots fan-driven loose organization for pitys sake, and while we are on the topic of Rainfall, NOA's localization efforts could use a revamp. I refuse to believe Atlus and XSeed can find a profitable business model and Nintendo cannot...not to mention their stone-faced acceptance of the PR hit they took at the time.

In a broad sense, I also think that the main leadership is struggling to identify and establish the core of what their products offer going forward. Wii U, as potentially cool as it may be, is looking like a train wreck in terms of marketing what it is and who it is for. Value is shifting in this industry, who captures it and how, and I fear Nintendo is unsure how to respond and move forward.