Author Topic: Hardcore ssmb  (Read 20653 times)

Offline foolish03

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Hardcore ssmb
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 08:59:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I'm saying half the skill in those games derives from having to know what series of buttons (which you couldn't know without a manual or lots of experimentation) pull off certain moves.  Memorize those moves and you're well on your way to mastering the game.  Quite the opposite is different from Smash Brothers.  You can know every move in the game without knowing how to use them.
Maybe they're equally deep, but traditional fighters try to give a greater impression of depth through hiding what moves you use, so that someone who plays the game a lot and bothers to learn specials does particularly well.  I never do in those games, since I don't know what the specials are.  That and they're too clunky for my taste, but this is personal opinion, mind you.

Thats where your wrong.  I recently picked up third strike(street fighter annivasary collection).  You can know every move in the game (specials supers you name it), but if you dont know how and when to use them you'll lose.  Of course if your playing a novice youll do fine, but against a skilled player who took the time to become knowleagable about the game mechanics.....Tough luck.  I know every move there is to know in street fighter.  I never bothered to go beyond that.  When I went online I got my @ss kicked.  The techniques some of the top players used are mind boggling.  Combos also play an important role, as well as parrying.  Watch the video I posted above and you'll see what I mean.

"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
RE: Hardcore ssmb
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 09:52:30 AM »
Until everyone who wants to participate in a tourney, can participate, THERE IS NO REAL WORLD CHAMPION.

I garuntee you that there are at least 50 people in the USA alone that can contend with Ken on his level or above, so don't say that there gods or anything because there not. It's not hard to get good at SSBM. Once the controller becomes a part of you, in essence, where you don't have to think about what to do before you do it, you reach a new skill level, and the rest is just learning new techniques. IT"S NOT HARD! hahaha

Anyways, please....stop praising these guys.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2005, 10:20:58 AM »
I don't need to watch the videos to know I'm nowhere close to that. Hell, I can't even block or dodge properly in any game.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 10:40:37 AM »
SSBM is more entertaining while conversing and laughing and causing each other to make "stupid" mistakes cuz you can't concentrate while your funny bone gets tickled.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 10:56:34 AM »
I agree, Prof.  Whenever my friend and I play together I'll be winning, and he'll be cussing and I'll be laughing so hard he'll catch back up to me.  That's what makes the game incredible.

foolish, I meant a large part of the game was learning elaborate button sequences.  Sure, you need to use them well, but SSBM just cuts out the unnecessary button learning.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2005, 12:57:46 PM »
Smash brothers melee isnt really that deep compared to games like street fighter and soul calibur.
Ahahahahaha... *wipes tears from eyes*...

I've tried to find the depth in Soul Caliber and its ilk. Really, I have. But it's unbearably superficial compared to SSBM. For a skill ladder it relies on comfort with the controls. I'm sure at the top end actually knowing when to use a move matters (gasp!), but with SSBM, knowing when to use a move is the beginning. Knowing how to use 2d positioning, feinting, drawing your opponent out, knowing the timing of all his moves and recovery so you can slip between the attacks, reacting fast enough to stabilize when bounced into a wall, using your mere possession of a throwable item to intimidate and control your opponent... these are the rungs of the ladder, before you even get into the extra tricks of the trade.

I was going to write a tirade about all the people who say "not to brag, but I'm on a par with the world champions. I know this in my heart." But then I watched the DK/Link video, and I have to say, at least as DK CaptainJack was kinda weak. He just didn't have a good sense of the range and timing of his moves relative to Link. He persistantly underrates Link's penetration, and his grabs come up short a lot of the time. Also, he doesn't seem able to do an instantaneous recovery consistantly, which is mind-blowing for a top player. Either that, or he just didn't use several times when he REALLY needed to.

That said, though, I can't claim I didn't learn anything from it. Using DK's areal back-A to make a linear approach is a new one for me, as is throwing a character up to get off the punch (though I suspect that only works well with characters that fall at a certain speed.)  
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2005, 05:16:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Don'tHate742
Until everyone who wants to participate in a tourney, can participate, THERE IS NO REAL WORLD CHAMPION.

I garuntee you that there are at least 50 people in the USA alone that can contend with Ken on his level or above, so don't say that there gods or anything because there not. It's not hard to get good at SSBM. Once the controller becomes a part of you, in essence, where you don't have to think about what to do before you do it, you reach a new skill level, and the rest is just learning new techniques. IT"S NOT HARD! hahaha

Anyways, please....stop praising these guys.

I never said anything about them being gods.  Reread my post.  No mention of god.  Nor did I say no one in the world could ever beat them.  I simply stated how good they were compared to what iv'e seen.  Mostly everyone in this thread discredits the amount of skill they have.  Jealousy maybe?????? Those of you who feel they are just as good as these guys hows about you post some videos of your matches.  Anyone can claim to be on par with national champs over the internet.  Just because you say it doesnt make it so

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2005, 05:19:17 PM »
Wow... I'm nowhere close to that level.

I thought I was pretty good till I played against some guys who just whupped my ass without even losing a life.

Need to learn how to dodge and stuff instead of going all gung-ho all the time...
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 05:44:13 PM »
I'm not as good.  I'm rusty.  But I could very well be, I'm saying it's a possibility, with practice.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2005, 06:14:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I'm saying half the skill in those games derives from having to know what series of buttons (which you couldn't know without a manual or lots of experimentation) pull off certain moves.  Memorize those moves and you're well on your way to mastering the game.  Quite the opposite is different from Smash Brothers.
This is true. Traditional fighters make you memorize too many moves, and once you have, it's ALOT easier. But in Smash, you have to be quick, you have to be cunning, and it's a whole DIFFERENT type of depth
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2005, 06:14:58 PM »

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 06:16:05 PM »
I wasn't talking to you foolish, I was talking to that other kid that have seen them play.

I, myself, am confident in my skills, but hell, I'm not the best or anything. Those guys are damn good, and I may or may not be able to take on that Link or Sheik; however, my main point was that people should stop praising them because it's not hard to get good.

Yes it's very facinating how good they play, and what techniques they accomplish; it's almost as crazy as watching that vid of the person who beat super mario bro. 3 in like 11 minutes (then again maybe not...). If you haven't seen that type of play before, of course it's fascinating.....but I have....so it's not that great, it's more like "wow, that's a cool technique" or "how the hell did he do that?".....or basically a learning experience if I ever wanted to play again (I've played alot already, probably a good 200 hours, so I feel like putting it up for good).

I'm also rusty, haven't played in a while, but if there's ever a need, i'll break it out and start playing with a friend to hone my skills.

As for the vids........hahaha ya right, like i'm going to go through all those steps just to prove to some guy on the internet that I'm good at playing a game. You must think me a geek or something.

Once Online SSB comes out, i'll show you personally .

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 08:22:08 PM »
Vids?  You want vids?  Alright.  I've actually been thinking about how I could get them reasonably, and currently, I have to say "wait for it."  I just moved an hour from the people I normally play with, and I have a full time job and go to school full time.  All I can say is, the next time we play, sure I'll record it and put it up.  Somewhere.  I still have my original save (started the day before the game came out in the US) and have multiple hundreds of hours logged onto my name, and much more not logged onto that name.  I haven't used it in a year, for example.  

Test:  Playing the original Smash Bros, how many characters can you beat the single player mode with, on Very Hard, with one life, without continuing.  I can't think of a character I haven't done it with, and then, I redid the same challenge in Melee.  As don't hate said, I'm not discrediting what these guys can do.  They are darn good.  The Link bomb jump trick is impressive as all get out.  I guess I'm just used to that style of play that it doesn't phase me that some people have developed their own strats, and own in them.

But, what could be fun, is to have people post their stats.  How many people actually use their names in Melee?  Like I said, I haven't in a year, but it should still be an indicator of place.  Maybe?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 09:54:10 PM »
Err I have a handful of vids playing Event Match 51.  It was fun, like it's a boss battle i love to revisit.  But playing in front of my pc monitor to record stuff gets uncomfy after a while.

~~~~~

I think there are some people, like me, who are affected by the size of the monitor they play SSBM on.  When playing on a TV of a size different to the one I'm use to, my timing and perception of distance is thrown-off a tiny tiny bit.  Missing grabs and stuffs occurs.  Then I shout something profane and blame the tv after losing a match

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 09:58:27 PM »
True masters would instantly adapt to their circumstances and relearn distances in the blink of an eye.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2005, 10:59:10 PM »
I hate this game. *o*

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2005, 02:18:13 AM »
I didnt honestly want videos from any of you.  Those are extreme measures to prove a point over the internet to somebody you'll never see.  My point was just because you say your as good as people who've proven there one of the top people in the world doesnt mean anything....Especially over the internet on some gaming forum.  

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2005, 11:03:25 PM »
(Don't say new people couldn't beat them (they most likly couldn't) they could be good at that type of game... some how).
I thnk I could beatone of them........... With years or practis or some luck (I can play skillfuly or I can play using luck).
Oh and another porly spelled thing games like street fighter SC2 and other games with lots of combows I just button mash and what do you know I finished the game! (this is most likly just asking for a flam war).
LUIGI PWNS YOU!!!!!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2005, 12:34:08 AM »
Unimpressive.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2005, 07:32:18 PM »
Were you talking about the videos or Kirby's thread lol

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2005, 07:34:31 PM »
The SSBM matches.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2005, 07:39:08 PM »
Oh.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »
Is Smash going to be at Evo 2k5?

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2005, 04:38:36 AM »
Doubt it, unless in DS form....

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2005, 07:07:25 PM »
I played in a melee tourney once at a anime convention
It was a bonus match *sigh*
I got 3rd, then 3rd later on at gotham city racing (didnt even give us a warm up or tell me the controls)...meaning I didnt go on to later rounds
Yet before the tourny started, I won most of the round, except 1 against atma and some dude using samus