Author Topic: Mario 128 early 06 with a fixed camera - EGM  (Read 30369 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Mario 128 early 06 with a fixed camera - EGM
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2005, 10:43:26 PM »
Nemo.....you went off on the wrong tangent....

Mario doesn't need any changes graphically, it needs it gameplay wise....and not even that much. I thought your idea for trippin mario was halarious, now your trying to make him more mature?! That's the last thing I would want to happen to happen....peroid.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Mario 128 early 06 with a fixed camera - EGM
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2005, 11:18:04 PM »
Well I was trying to keep the visuals cartoonish.

There are far more "mature" alterations and tweaks that I could have made, and did in some drawings I threw out, but felt that the spirit of the character was nolonger there.  Things that I had done with the character like change the eyes, nose, chin, brow, the facial hair, and adding textures just made things worse.  I experimented with trying to make Mario and Luigi more Italian in appearance, but kept coming back to the old drawings for inspiration.  I feel that the Mario and Luigi pictures I decided on are closer to the old designs than you think.  The real differences aside from the cigar and five oclock shadow are how Luigi's mustache droops low and flips up at the tips.  Mario's mustache though is more like the old designs.  So what I was trying to do is pass the ball back and forth between the characters.  I tried to give both characters the same type of bubble eyes they have always had.  There are other designs from Nintendo that feature black dots for eyes and I also considered those types of eyes, but I chose the eyes that had lids just because emotion and thoughts can be expressed through the character without a lot of words.  Other differences that are more obvious are how each features Popeye arms.  I really like Popeye cartoons.  Popeye also smokes.  I also stressed the difference in hight and weight between the characters.  In some designs I did not show I took these differences and exagerated them.  Imagine a lanky tall cartoonish Luigi.  I did not like it, but such things could work with certain mushrooms morphing proportions of the characters' bodys'.  I gave my designs rounded faces so that they would resemble the old designs more.  In other versions I had tried much more definable chins to make them more Italian, but that really changed who the character was to me.  The chin was the one thing that really needed to stay the same so there could be a line drawn between the old and the new.  I am still torn about whether to give them gloves.  The gloves really set off their outfits and say this is a franchise character.  Mario belongs to the white glove club; Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and Sonic the Hedgehog.  

The hats were one thing that I really wanted to change.  You will notice that Mario features a trucker cap and Luigi has his on backwards.  I think it would be a cool little option if you can decide how the character wears their cap.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2005, 11:50:25 PM »
I think you should be able to change most or there cloths but I woulden't know how.
(Sorry for bringing up an old subject but the Super Mario Brothers and world are (brothers)2D and (world)3D).
LUIGI PWNS YOU!!!!!

« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2005, 12:26:09 AM »
You know what I'll love to see.  The next Mario game to use an enhanced version of the cell animation from Wind Waker.  I think that'll fit in nicely with a Mario game.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2005, 01:11:56 AM »
There's quite a few of us who heartily agree with that.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2005, 03:18:06 AM »
I think a LOT of series would look better in toon-shading, particularly Pokemon...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2005, 05:02:05 AM »
Word, had forgotten about pokemon.  I think that would fit the series perfect since it'll match the anime to a T lol.  Its good to see some upcoming rpgs use cell shading.  I think cell shading gave Namco's ToS that oldschool look while still being modern and state of the art.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2005, 06:52:21 AM »
I like the idea of a drug-tripping game, but I don't think the Mario universe is right for it.  Maybe Miyamoto and friends really were sitting in a circle smoking joints when they came up with the idea for Super Mario Bros*...but that's not the direction they took it in in the 20 years since then, and I think it would be unproductive to go that way now.  It would tick off a huge number of parents who see Nintendo as the kid-safe choice in gaming and a huge number of hardcore gamer/Mario fans who view the series as a fun, innocent icon of gaming.

I'm all for a cel-shaded Mario game.  A cel-shaded Pokemon game would be perfect too, but I think Nintendo should be careful that it doesn't become the cel-shading company.  I think having nothing but cel-shaded games is almost as boring as having nothing but realistic games.

* I highly doubt it, but it's a funny thought.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2005, 07:08:00 AM »
Who says you couldn't change up the style with each one?  Just because it's cel-shaded doesn't mean it's using the exact same aesthetic style.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2005, 08:05:57 AM »
I agree with darknight06.....just look at Killer 7 and TWW....

Pokemon is the perfect choice. Mario would be nice, but it isn't needed.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2005, 10:20:59 AM »

In other versions I had tried much more definable chins to make them more Italian, but that really changed who the character was to me. The chin was the one thing that really needed to stay the same so there could be a line drawn between the old and the new.

Wait....what?.  You give Mario a cigar, a trucker hat, 200 extra pounds, and 5 o'clock shadow, yet you tell me that it's Mario's chin that makes him what he is today?!  You're saying that the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that line rests on Mario's CHIN?!

Heh.

Hahahaha.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2005, 10:33:11 AM »
I experimented with a lot of different designs including some characters from the horse ranch in Zelda OoT.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2005, 06:03:57 AM »
Miyamoto doesn't need to use drugs to be creative. He's Japanese.

It's interesting to see that a lot of us share the same ideas as to what a new Mario should be like. Some people have discussed the idea of mixing 2D and 3D.

The way I see it, in a game like this, the 3D portion (resembling that of mario 64 and sunshine) could be compared to the map or overworld in mario 3, and world. I'm not saying it would be a map, I'm just saying it would be like an overworld that gives entrances to action sidescrolling 2D or 2.5D levels.

I'm thinking in the overworld, graphics would be like what we've seen so far in the 3D games, but then when you take a pipe to an action level, graphics are totally different and maybe even twisted. For some reason, Viewtiful Joe comes to mind.....
What is character but determination of incident? What is incident by the illustration of character?