Author Topic: Episode 502: Have You Heard the Gospel of Excitebots  (Read 3728 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 502: Have You Heard the Gospel of Excitebots
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, the day of the nice sandwich is at hand!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/43810/episode-502-have-you-heard-the-gospel-of-excitebots

Sometimes it's nice to just get back to a regular episode. A relaxing calm settles in, with Greg's return to Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. He's got significant experience playing as Sir Arthur, so this notoriously tricky SNES classic is no more difficult than folding his Arthur cosplay boxers. Jon reports from the smoldering crater that is Titanfall 2, one of EA's two well-received first person shooters for Q4 2016. He has thoughts on the series' first single-player campaign, and the poor sales that doomed it to being the series' last single-player campaign. James takes a look at PS+ game of the month, The Deadly Tower of Monsters. Produced by ACE Team, who gave him Rock of Ages, this movie-themed brawler should be right up his alley, but is instead a repetitive chore. In order to inject some eShop flavor to the proceedings, James takes a look at the current offers for 3DS and discovers a new nightmare: Sweet Memories - Blackjack. To quote the eShop, "The time you spend playing blackjack [with your childhood friend], increases the connection between the two of you." Guillaume takes a look at Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, and we spend far too long trying to determine how many Ys games there are. He then closes New Business by playing as a turtle who: makes sandwiches, swings on poles, and bounds across the desert with Excitebots, now available on the Wii U eShop in North America. Hopefully its gleeful stupidity finally makes its way to Europe soon.

After a break we pry open the mailbag to answer questions about: a rash of flops and Switch the Savior, traveling in Japan, and the Virtual Console on Switch. Get those sirens ready, it's time for some old-school Switch speculating. You can speculate about our future by sending us an email.

The upcoming holidays are going to alter our normal release schedule. At this time, we don't have our plans hammered out for the next few weeks. Keep an eye on the official RFN Twitter account and RFN Facebook page for announcements.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 502: Have You Heard the Gospel of Excitebots
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »
Good show. Really cool Japan travel tips from James.

I would love to hear a feature discussion on the price falling of recent games and how it relates to publishers/developers, Nintendo, and us players.

Offline wcmullins

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 01:09:12 AM »
In regards to the diminishing returns of publishers in the west, I probably shouldn't have use "main" platform. The argument I was trying to make was that Pokemon sun and moon was the best selling game last month which has a much lower budget than Call of Duty. Activation/EA/Bethesda would love to be apart of that. While the switch will never be the main platform for the super AAA like Call of Duty, GTA, or Battlefield, games like Deus Ex, Dishonored, Watchdogs, Mirror's Edge, Hitman, and Titanfall may get another life. Titanfall 2 was my favorite game this year and there will not be a Titanfall 3, but a Titanfall: sequel that is 720p scaled down mainly made for Switch while also porting it to PS4, Xbox one, PC could be successful (much like how the resident evil revelations 3DS game was). 

This is all contingent that Nintendo successfully taps that late 20 year old lapse Nintendo gamer that hasn't bought a system since the Wii they quickly abandoned. They have already shown success with Pokemon Go leading to Sun/Moon sales. These gamers are also nostalgic for gamecube. By going on Jimmy Fallon and their advertisements not showing kids they are going after that market. It is that market that would buy Watchdogs: sequel or Deus Ex: sequel to take on the road.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 02:47:56 AM »
**** you for hatin' on mah boi Garbodor!

Also, Guzzlord is kinda spoiler-ish.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 09:23:16 AM »
Titanfall 2 is easily one of my favorite games of the year.  Also one of the few first person shooter games where jumping and platforming ADD to the fun of the game.  Had a lot of fun with the single player, and I'm sure I'll squeeze some fun out of the multiplayer, too.  It's too bad the sales are doing so poorly, but on the other hand, the only reason I gave it a shot was because of it being half off so soon after release.  If they made a Titanfall 3 with more story, then It'd likely be a day one purchase for me.

So glad we're less than a month away from the Switch presentation from Nintendo, then we can speculate based on legitimate info rather than rumors. 

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
EXCITE Nintendo Hard Girls racing.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »
Shooter talk was interesting. I dont play a lot of them, but everything I have heard about Titanfall 2 makes me want to play it. I will get it sometime in the next month or two.

I have only ever played Excite Truck once or twice and that was probably 9 years ago. Excite Bots sounds very interesting from what was said on the show. If it was released on PAL eShop, I might buy it.

Japan talk was good too. I like the idea of going there, but I dont want to because of the language barrier.

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 02:26:52 AM »
In terms of the western publisher's spiraling cost and now diminishing sales. Nintendo saw the writing on the wall for this long ago and the Wii was them offering a way out to the industry. It had the high userbase and low end development costs. But the big publishers ignored it with most of their big offerings.

The big publishers really wanted what is happening now, to happen. They wanted to follow hollywood blockbuster model. Big budget games with big budget advertising, push the cost level so high that the small to mid tier publishers cannot compete and they corner the market for themselves.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 03:10:20 AM »
push the cost level so high that the small to mid tier publishers cannot compete and they corner the market for themselves.

Too high, probably. But I would also say that indie games are probably more popular now than ever.

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 06:42:07 AM »
push the cost level so high that the small to mid tier publishers cannot compete and they corner the market for themselves.

Too high, probably. But I would also say that indie games are probably more popular now than ever.

Way too high but they probably expect constant growth to make it work for them.

It is good Indies have come into their own and produce alot of games.

Its alot of the middle ground between Indie and AAA titles that disappear, publishers like THQ, Acclaim, Midway, etc, all go broke or merged into bigger publisher.

Offline wcmullins

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 07:50:50 PM »
I think there could be a middle ground in the market now as long as they are still quality games. A lot of the games midway and THQ were putting out were shovel ware.

The problem with 3rd parties and Wii was who bought it. People like my parents bought a wii and never bought a game for it. My neighbor who had an NES and then nothing until Wii was intimidated to go online to buy anything off of virtual console. If switch gets vita like consumers with high attach rate it could potentially be something.