Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663860 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#Team2017 Wins Again!)
« Reply #1250 on: May 11, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »
Judging by the new animation at the end of the Commercial, can we confirm that the NX controller will at least have the traditional 4 button layout?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »
Sounds like a good assumption, it wouldn't make sense to put effort into a logo that'll be outdated within a few months.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 12, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »
Just unveiling this and attaching it to the 2DS? Strange, I thought the 2DS model was under performing.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 13, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
Judging by the new animation at the end of the Commercial, can we confirm that the NX controller will at least have the traditional 4 button layout?

I'd have to assume yes. Would be really weird if the next controller didn't have that and the traditional button layout was left only for the classic controller. We'll get another screened controller with the same layout since the SNES.

So about the NX reveal, if not E3 is anyone else expecting it to be unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show? Wasn't that where the Wii Remote was first seen and we got that crazy trailer that just set everyone's imagination on fire?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1254 on: May 13, 2016, 01:39:08 PM »
Yet again, we are presented withe concrete evidence that Nintendo reads our forums.  #TeamButtons now includes Nintendo's upper brass.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 13, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
Glorious Button Master Race!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 13, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »
I was just telling my nephe who was playing Sonic on his tablet why buttons are so important. I typed this with buttons.
He couldn't get knuckles to glide....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 14, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »
Forget buttons and touch screen, the next real big innovation is going to be voice controls.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 14, 2016, 12:18:41 AM »
I thought that has been pretty under utilized. Nintendo and a few companies have worked on voice controls and listening intelligence ai in the past. Hey You Pikachu, Nintendogs, and Brainage, and Sega's Seaman come to mind. It goes wrong though. I was just annoyed with the xbox one and kinects voice controls. You have to calibrate the Xbox one camera per person. It responded to my roommate most of the time, but not me. With Brainage I would say "Brue" and "Brack" instead of "Blue and Black" because I realized it was made by Japanese speakers. Seaman was an interesting game. It was talking fish with an attitude. Its ai was pretty good for its time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:20:21 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 14, 2016, 01:13:27 AM »
Considering my google voice dial needs me to add an influx at the end of the name for my wife for it to dial her instead of doing a search on why people call you Mi Amor I don't think voice recognition is ready for game controls.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: May 14, 2016, 03:27:48 AM »
Hot hot hot rumors floating around today...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 14, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »
Hot hot hot rumors floating around today...
Recap of Emily Rogers' sources regarding NX:
1. No x86. She didn't say ARM, but that's the only other viable option because Nintendo sure as **** isn't sticking with PowerPC.
2. Polaris rumors are "wacky."
3. Uses "special, custom made chips," hardware design is very modern.
4. Closer to Xbox One than PS4. Cue Ian freaking the **** out.

Recap of Adrock's thoughts:
1. I started leaning toward the ARM camp about a month or two ago once I actually read up on it. ARM makes the most sense for what it seems Nintendo wants to do and where the industry is heading moving forward.
2. Polaris would have been nice, but the timing was off. It seemed more feasible with a March 2017 launch but still iffy.
3. No surprises there. Nintendo always uses custom chips. The modern hardware design is the most important bit. NX needs to be able to run current engines. It's more important to be powerful enough to run these than more powerful than PS4 let alone PS4K/Neo.
4. This is the part I suspect will get the most attention, and it shouldn't. For how Nintendo has to approach NX, its place in the market, and consumers, price is more important than hardware power. Nintendo cannot launch NX for more than $300 and expect anyone besides its own fanbase to give a ****. In fact, $300 might be pushing it since that's around where PS4 and One are now. If NX hardware could outperform PS4 at $300, great, but that gets into economics I'm not privy to. There are ARM chips that outperform PS4's Jaguar-based CPU, but it wouldn't come cheap.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:42:05 PM by Adrock »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1262 on: May 14, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
The main place I'm seeing claim Polaris-based chips is also pointing out that three years of efficiency increases could allow a chip with less impressive specs to exceed PS4 (original) output. Provided the developer gives a minute portion of a damn, which... yeah, how'd that do in the PS2 generation with Worst Nintendo System?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 14, 2016, 11:28:37 AM »
There is also the other rumor that confirms the Emily one that the NX will use an Nvidia Tegra chip.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/257668-rumor-nx-handheld-to-be-powered-by-nvidia-tegra
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:30:41 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 14, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
They should. It would have to be the latest and greatest (post-X1), but Nvidia Tegra would make the most sense, especially if there's a home console and a handheld.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1265 on: May 14, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
I learned with the Wii U rumors to not take anything at face value, so anything I hear or read regarding the NX is purely rumor with no likelihood of being true until the system is revealed.

Though it's still fun to read and discuss!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 14, 2016, 04:24:40 PM »
Ahhh I've been avoiding NX rumor-mongering for so long but this morning it finally bit me and it bit me HARD!

Generally though, I'm anchoring my expectations to Emily Roger's rumors.

Recap of Emily Rogers' sources regarding NX:
1. No x86. She didn't say ARM, but that's the only other viable option because Nintendo sure as **** isn't sticking with PowerPC.
2. Polaris rumors are "wacky."
3. Uses "special, custom made chips," hardware design is very modern.
4. Closer to Xbox One than PS4. Cue Ian freaking the **** out.

Recap of Adrock's thoughts:
1. I started leaning toward the ARM camp about a month or two ago once I actually read up on it. ARM makes the most sense for what it seems Nintendo wants to do and where the industry is heading moving forward.
2. Polaris would have been nice, but the timing was off. It seemed more feasible with a March 2017 launch but still iffy.
3. No surprises there. Nintendo always uses custom chips. The modern hardware design is the most important bit. NX needs to be able to run current engines. It's more important to be powerful enough to run these than more powerful than PS4 let alone PS4K/Neo.
4. This is the part I suspect will get the most attention, and it shouldn't. For how Nintendo has to approach NX, its place in the market, and consumers, price is more important than hardware power. Nintendo cannot launch NX for more than $300 and expect anyone besides its own fanbase to give a ****. In fact, $300 might be pushing it since that's around where PS4 and One are now. If NX hardware could outperform PS4 at $300, great, but that gets into economics I'm not privy to. There are ARM chips that outperform PS4's Jaguar-based CPU, but it wouldn't come cheap.

I generally accept the first 3 with no argument. I was at some point jazzed to think x86 but I can see an ARM solution as more likely, ESPECIALLY if the handheld version itself is also on ARM.

Number 3 though tells me frankly nothing. "Modern" hardware to me is just marketing talk about how they're not off-the-shelf and they're doing some custom work on it.

As for Number 2/4, this actually make a good bit of sense given Nintendo's home consoles tracking to the last generation (The Wii was 2.5 GameCubes, the Wii U punched above an XBox 360, it would fit for the NX to track towards an XBox One target).

However, I have no reason for thinking that other than it fits a pattern. It still SEEMS to continue to trend, which is why I'll stick with it for now.

The same "track last gen" trend also seems to manifest in Nintendo's handhelds: The GBA got SNES ports, the DS got N64 ports, the New 3DS got a little ambitious with porting Xenoblade from the Wii.

I have no reason to be, but this morning I'm obsessed with the Tegra rumors. The already-released Tegra X1 would make a lot of sense to me as the chipset for the Handheld NX version, especially because it looks like it might have the raw power to be a "Wii U in a handheld" and fit the above trend. It'd also be a chip designed specifically for the limitations of a handheld in terms of heating and power consumption.

Of course, if the Tegra X1 was in the handheld, then there'd have to be a different chipset for the console NX? That console chipset, whatever it is, I'm guessing would be ARM (Number 1 from above), and probably hew closely with other rumors of AMD working on a new ARM APU order.

I've all of a sudden got in my head that, yeah, the NX is a platform, not a single system. Nintendo will position it as a shared ecosystem between both a handheld and a console, and provide development tools where you can build the same game for BOTH easily. There would be obvious differences between performance for the two hardware environments, but most games would be built on technology that accounts for scaling from square one (or just be a rare game that only exists on one and not the other).

That sorta reminds of the PS4K rumors where the new PS4 will have stronger hardware, but would basically run the same PS4 disc just with some graphical improvements if available (ala GBC->GB, or N64ExpansionPak->N64).

In my fever dreams I see them doing something big for cross-purchases too.

And oooh the cartridge rumors! Someone brought that up to me at work a couple weeks ago and I dismissed it out of hand, but then now that I've read back a couple pages about the benefits of removing the optical drive, the already impressive capacity of those existing 3DS carts, and also remembering the falling pricing of memory... They'd still need to be able up the capacity for the cart to at least single-layer Blu Ray amounts if they go this route though.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 14, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
I don't think capacity on cartridges would be a problem nowadays. the SDXC format of memory cards can go up to 2tb.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »
Number 3 though tells me frankly nothing. "Modern" hardware to me is just marketing talk about how they're not off-the-shelf and they're doing some custom work on it.
Taken in context, I don't think it's marketing talk. "Modern hardware" refers to more recent feature sets and newer technology. Nintendo joining the Khronos group was an under-the-radar announcement that said a lot about Nintendo's seriousness with keeping up industry standards.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 14, 2016, 09:54:48 PM »
Taken in context, I don't think it's marketing talk. "Modern hardware" refers to more recent feature sets and newer technology. Nintendo joining the Khronos group was an under-the-radar announcement that said a lot about Nintendo's seriousness with keeping up industry standards.

What I mean to say is that just because Nintendo might be saying "modern" doesn't mean I'm ready to speculate that they're picking up some cutting-edge tech... like Polaris for example.

In comparison, the Tegra X1 rumors are interesting because that's a chip that already hit market in a consumer product last year. Perhaps two-year old, non-bleeding edge, but feature-rich tech like the Tegra X1 might fit better with the idea of "modern" in these contexts then?

But maybe even this is too optimistic? Let's not forget that for the 2011 3DS Nintendo chose chips from 2005...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 14, 2016, 10:44:08 PM »
What I mean to say is that just because Nintendo might be saying "modern" doesn't mean I'm ready to speculate that they're picking up some cutting-edge tech... like Polaris for example.
Except Nintendo didn't say that, at least not publicly. Emily Rogers said she spoke to seven different people, and all, some, or none may work for Nintendo.

To expand on what I said earlier (not necessarily as a response to you), I believe the biggest clue to what modern means within the context of Rogers' info is Nintendo joining the Khronos group and likely using the Vulkan API. That's as far as I want to speculate without more info on this since Nintendo has never valued raw hardware power. It has, however, made some really smart design choices such as Sony's sound chip in SNES or MoSyS's 1T-SRAM in GameCube.

Speaking of GameCube, this is a console with clear hardware advantages albeit launched a year later yet Nintendo trotted out real-world performance numbers versus Sony boasting theoretical peak performance outside of an actual game environment. That said, when I hear "very modern hardware" or "industry leading chips," I think about ways Nintendo can improve performance through efficiency rather than pushing more powerful hardware.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:42:39 AM by Adrock »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 15, 2016, 12:22:13 AM »
I've read before as well that despite the fact that the WiiU is pretty similar similar to the 360 in raw specs, there's custom voodoo going on that allows Nintendo to deploy impressive lighting and whathaveyou without eating into main computational tasks. This would track with certain WiiU games looking very good despite the last gen baseline (and I assume ZeldaU will be duly impressive, Xenoblade with better art). I'd expect a similar scenario if the NX ends up being close on paper to the Xbone. Nintendo will be able to punch above that weight even if third parties don't bother learning the special sauce recipes.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 15, 2016, 02:03:22 AM »
To expand on what I said earlier (not necessarily as a response to you), I believe the biggest clue to what modern means within the context of Rogers' info is Nintendo joining the Khronos group and likely using the Vulkan API. That's as far as I want to speculate without more info on this since Nintendo has never valued raw hardware power.

That's why I find the Tegra speculation so tantalizing. That's a pretty full-featured piece of chip! ARGH! Must...tampen...expectations!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 16, 2016, 03:28:11 AM »
Tweeted from the ArcadeGirl herself:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203747904&postcount=1780

"She did say I could share this small bit with you: 'Nvidia is involved with Nintendo's future hardware.'"

It could be just the Graphics Processing Unit, but it makes more sense to assume that Nintendo is interested in Nvidia's System On a Chip solution, Tegra. Tegra is basically ARM CPUs paired with Nvidia's GPUs integrated in to a single package. The chips is being used in phones, tablets, laptops, and specialty gaming devices such as Nvidia's SHIELD portable.

This whisper has me excited for what it could mean!

EDIT:
Ah, well, lets recycle the Nvidia stuff for the third-fourth time
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=203563215
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:44:48 AM by Enner »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: May 16, 2016, 03:53:48 AM »
I don't see them jumping ship due to compatibility issues. I'd imagine it will have a closely related ps4/xbox one cpu and gpu. It might retain a spare IBM espresso for compatibility issues. It'll probably have some whacky awesome unique ram.

On the other hand Nintendo might jump ship because they've been getting the weak **** from amd. With nvidea out of the lucrative console loop they may want to offer their goods for cheap for pokemon money

or even crazier. The nx would have 4 processors. 3 in the box, and then one mobile tegra one.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:55:42 AM by ThePerm »