Author Topic: Nintendo Sales Panic: January 2022 US NPD Group Results  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Sales Panic: January 2022 US NPD Group Results
« on: February 11, 2022, 04:12:20 AM »

Looks like the PS5 and Xbox Series are becoming easier to find... but somehow Nintendo's not concerned.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/59654/nintendo-sales-panic-january-2022-us-npd-group-results

As the availability of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series devices in the United States continues to improve, the Switch is shifting to big software numbers in the monthly NPD Group survey.

All rankings and figures from January 2 - 29, and are based on revenue unless noted. Nintendo does not report digital sales but third parties do.

Hardware saw the Switch finish third in both the unit and revenue races in the period, with PlayStation 5 being first and Xbox Series second in both categories. Hardware collectively was up 22% over last year, but it is not clear if the Switch was a contributor to that gain.

Software was more successful for Nintendo as Pokemon Legends: Arceus debuted at #1 in the all-format software chat despite only 2 days of sale. Other Nintendo games in the top 20: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in 8th, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl combined 11th, Mario Party Superstars 15th, Animal Crossing New Horizons 16th, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 19th.

Third parties on Switch were headed by Monster Hunter Rise in 3rd - largely due to its release on Steam, as it was 94th in the December period - followed by FIFA 22 7th, Minecraft 13th, and NBA 2k22 14th.

The full Switch top 10 sellers:

1. Pokemon Legends: Arceus
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  3. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl
  4. Mario Party Superstars
  5. Animal Crossing New Horizons
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  7. Just Dance 2022 (Ubisoft)
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  9. Super Mario 3D World
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: Nintendo Sales Panic: January 2022 US NPD Group Results
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 02:51:59 PM »
XBox outsold Nintendo?! Anybody know the last time that happended?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 02:53:58 PM »
When the 360 launched...?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 04:31:29 PM »
When the 360 launched...?
Nah, every year during Wii U. This might be the first time for the Switch, though.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 05:20:40 PM »
Nintendo had the 3DS with the Wii U. Maybe there were months the XB One outsold the 3DS but I don't think there's any concrete numbers from NPD to know on that.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 06:00:05 PM »
My bad, I guess he did say a more vague "Xbox vs Nintendo" and I was just thinking consoles, although Switch is more of a handheld so it isn't a direct comparison either. Yeah, there isn't much info on Xbone sales so it's tough to say if it outsold 3DS + Wii U for a month. The 3DS did struggle in its early days and with the Wii waning around that time as well, the Xbox 360 most likely outsold Wii + 3DS during most of 2011 and 2012.