Author Topic: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars  (Read 15628 times)

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Just finished my first map that featured fog of war.  An indoor environment that had looked doorways.  Upon opening the doors, the troops within would be revealed.  The game continues to impress.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
Just finished the game sometime last week.  It was an amazing game with some serious legs to it.  I haven't played any of the extras as I'm taking a break from it at the moment but there seems to be a good amount of extra content here.

On a side note, yet somewhat related, the game's designer Jullian Gallop was qouted as saying...

I would certainly like to develop more games in the turn-based tactics/strategy
genre - but GRSW will have to sell well enough to justify it
This came from a gamefaqs forum member by the name Jullian Gallop who claims he is who he says he is lol.   I'm unsure if its comfirmed but take it for what it is.  Hopefully this game sells well enough to warrant a sequal or even better, a new property built from the ground up by Gallop and crew.  This way they'll have more freedom with the story and gameplay. 

Here's the link to the qoute.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997780-tom-clancys-ghost-recon-shadow-wars/58786021/652516512
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:44:45 AM by Manny »

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »
Beat the game last week.  Awesome stuff.  After I finish Zelda and RE: Mercenaries, I'll pick it up again to do the unlocked battle maps.  If you haven't picked this game up, go ahead and do it.  Best launch game available.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »
With all this talk, I can only hope for a portable XCom collection.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
OMG I'm so glad I picked this up even this long after launch and then didn't let it sit on my backlog pile for a long time. I think I just finished sinking 4 hours into it... T_T

Of course, since I suck at tactics and strategy games and don't have the time to replay failed missions, I'm playing it on easy. But I'm LOVING it.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
Glad to read about love for this game. I'm totally on the same page.
My only disappointment, and what always separates these console tactics games from true classics like X-Com for me, it the lack of meaningful randomness. There might be some randomness... but if so, it isn't enough. Having enemy reinforcements arrive randomly, or in different locations when a map is replayed, or entirely different maps and/or enemy layouts each time would make this game a keeper. Instead I dumped a good amount of time into it before selling my copy and moving on.
Don't regret playing for a second and would happily recommend the game, but just wish it was something that could draw me back for more instead of getting a single-play-through experience.
 :D
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »
Yeah, this is true. I mean, you need the same thing for RTS games too: a sort of random mission mode with random placement, ais, etc.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
You know, I bought this at launch and still haven't played it. This is making me want to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
You should, it's a decent game. Treat more like a puzzle game where you decide what tools to use instead of a "tactical" game. It eases the player in very nicely regardless of skill level. The tutorial phase was a little long for my liking and there isn't much of an end game. I would really like to see what the designer could do with a lot more free regien to do what he wants.

RTS are different since even if you have a perfect plan, it can still **** up if the path finding takes a unit one way or a little to far, turning a victory into a rout because you lost your air support because they are to stupid to not fly into a SAM trap.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 09:08:40 AM »
I still think an argument could be made for this being the best 3DS launch game, and one of the most enjoyable and overlooked titles of last year.

(Super Street Fighter IV probably beats it out at launch... but not by much.)

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »
Don't regret playing for a second and would happily recommend the game, but just wish it was something that could draw me back for more instead of getting a single-play-through experience.

I played through the game's main story and that was enough for me.  But I think I remember the game having challenge maps or something like that.  Have you played those?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »

I played through the game's main story and that was enough for me.  But I think I remember the game having challenge maps or something like that.  Have you played those?

I beat most of them before losing interest. The challenges weren't terribly compelling though, since they are just stand-alone skirmishes that often focus on a particular gimmick or puzzle-like solution.  I'm not trashing the extra missions or the value they provided, but didn't care enough to go through them all.

(Note that I spent roughly 40 hours with the game all told. So it still provided excellent value for the discounted price I paid.)

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 02:47:21 AM »
I still think an argument could be made for this being the best 3DS launch game, and one of the most enjoyable and overlooked titles of last year.

I'd vote for Pilotwings Resort, but I'd hear nothing but silence.  :-(

But I too was very disappointed with the challenge maps.  I waited until I beat the campaign and leveled up my guys before I tried them, because I stupidly thought you could use them on the challenge maps.   Nope.   You use random, faceless guys who are powerless.   But then, what did I expect from a game that let  you level up your guys to god-like status, and in order to ramp up the difficulty, threw 40 robots at you per mission.  Robots that can only take damage from 3 of your guys, out of 8. 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
I would also give my vote to Pilotwings. I love that game. I had more fun with it than almost all the other games I played in 2011.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 03:47:37 AM »
!

So... maybe I should buy Pilot Wings next...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 08:18:50 AM »

I'd vote for Pilotwings Resort, but I'd hear nothing but silence.  :-(

But I too was very disappointed with the challenge maps.  I waited until I beat the campaign and leveled up my guys before I tried them, because I stupidly thought you could use them on the challenge maps.   Nope.   You use random, faceless guys who are powerless.   But then, what did I expect from a game that let  you level up your guys to god-like status, and in order to ramp up the difficulty, threw 40 robots at you per mission.  Robots that can only take damage from 3 of your guys, out of 8.

Pilotwings is a solid game - it looks good, controls well, and accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do... but unfortunately it held virtually no appeal for me after the first hour.  In fact I got considerably more play time out of Steel Diver.  Not sure why things didn't click, but the game just felt "too niche" for me to recommend to others.  If you see a copy on sale it's definitely worth a shot.

As for robots in Ghost Recon, they aren't that hard to damage as you get close to the end. You can use Duke's special weapon to damage groups of robots, Haze is great for picking off chunks of power from a safe distance, Richter can do lots of damage up close or use his grenades, Mint is a great two-for-one with his EMP pistol that causes robots to lose a turn and the ability to deploy a separate gunner unit (which he can pick up or fix as necessary) to inflict minor hits and act as a damage sponge, and Banshee also has EMP grenades and cloaking to help avoid damage.  Robots aren't easy targets, requiring priority targets to be quickly established and a coordinated effort to take down... but they aren't that bad.  My only complaint is that one mistake can lead to a quick death if they get too close to your units, especially when surprise reinforcements arrive in an area you thought was "safe".

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »

Pilotwings is a solid game - it looks good, controls well, and accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do... but unfortunately it held virtually no appeal for me after the first hour.  In fact I got considerably more play time out of Steel Diver.  Not sure why things didn't click, but the game just felt "too niche" for me to recommend to others.  If you see a copy on sale it's definitely worth a shot.

True enough, it is somewhat of a niche game.   If all you care about is completing the missions, and you don't give a crap about getting 3 stars (or even perfects) then I could see the fun factor go down significantly.  A huge part of the thrill in Pilotwings is in wanting to get those high scores, playing levels over and over again, and feeling a great sense of accomplishment after honing your skills and being able to do something that seemed impossible at first blush.  It's the same thing as with Might Switch Force, another game where if you don't care about getting the par times, then I'd imagine the game wouldn't be much fun (and would be very short).   

If you think about it, it's a really interesting design problem, where the game is designed for you to be able to play it and progress in it without caring about high scores/ratings, but then, if you do play it that way, then your overall enjoyment of the game is soured.  But I can't think of a good solution, really.   I heard a lot of people complain about Ghost Recon because it had so many objectives that, if you failed, required you to restart the mission or go to an old save.   Especially if you lost the Russian girl, or lost all the Russian soldiers, and the AI seemed to know that because whenever the Russian girl was with you, the AI always targeted her first.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!