Author Topic: The Un-Official Super Mario 64 Retroactive thread waiting room.  (Read 9387 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: The Un-Official Super Mario 64 Retroactive thread waiting room.
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 07:10:37 AM »
One thing I'd strongly recommend if you're having issues getting the camera somewhere useful is to tap the R button to flip the camera to directly behind Mario. That thing was a godsend when I was going for the star at the top of Boo's Mansion where the game just wouldn't let you get the camera into a position where you could see in front of you. It has limited use since it's such a close-up camera, but if you just REALLY need to see the immediate area around you it can give you that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »
Perhaps it's because I grew up with Super Mario 64 and 3D games in general, but I've never had issues with controlling this game, and I still don't. With that said, I've played only the actual Nintendo 64 version, and not any of the various re-releases (DS version notwithstanding). The Nintendo 64 control stick is functionally different from the type of sticks used on modern controllers, so I wouldn't be surprised if that has a whole different feel to it and may not work as well.

For me, the main thing I find which makes Super Mario 64 feel dated is the camera, but even that isn't a big deal. It's one of those things I've accepted and learned how to deal with it; for one example I find using the zoomed-out Mario cam is better than the default on some levels. There are just a few select spots in select levels where I still run into a problem. I find myself to be forgivable of the camera, and one reason is because as far as I'm concerned, a 3D camera is still not a solved issue, even in today's games.

I still find this game surprisingly playable and enjoyable. Sorry to hear folks here are having difficulty getting into it, but I can't say I can relate.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »
Perhaps it's because I grew up with Super Mario 64 and 3D games in general, but I've never had issues with controlling this game, and I still don't. With that said, I've played only the actual Nintendo 64 version, and not any of the various re-releases (DS version notwithstanding). The Nintendo 64 control stick is functionally different from the type of sticks used on modern controllers, so I wouldn't be surprised if that has a whole different feel to it and may not work as well.

I'd say it's fair to say that's a lot of it. I don't remember Mario being so..."twitchy" when I played this game on the N64. I'm having trouble on the Switch navigating Mario along narrow walkways, as it feels like Mario "snaps" to directions rather than moving according to the stick. I've seen this most prominently when I'm trying to inch away backwards from the edge of a ledge, and Mario will inch off to the side (usually right off the platform) rather than turning immediately around.

I still like Mario 64 just fine. It's just that I don't think the later stages are as good as the earlier ones. I almost always skip the stages on the 2nd floor every time I play this game because they're just too much of a hassle to be worth the trouble.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2020, 12:20:10 AM »
After getting 72 stars I just finished the game, don't think I'll go for 120 this time since I remember Rainbow Road giving me trouble years ago and don't feel like getting that angry at the moment.

I've been playing Mario 64 DS today and already at 60 stars in that game.  I must say, I'm actually enjoying that version a lot more then the N64 version, at least when played on the Wii U.  The camera in Mario 64 DS while still not perfect, is much better then its N64 counterpart.  I also kind of like that fact there's a run button since my biggest problem with playing the N64 version is Mario takes off running way too fast too easily making some sections so frustrating while the DS version being able to choose between walk and run with a button lets me manage these area's so much easier.  Also helps that they made other changes like the Wing Cap is easier to control when flying now, not as twitchy as the N64 version.  I also noticed a few other changes in area's that I found somewhat frustrating yesterday so it shows Nintendo themselves was well aware of the issue's people had with Mario 64 when they made the DS version back in 2004.

So yeah, I'm really glad I'm finally playing the Mario 64 DS on the Wii U.  Using a joystick has fixed the main issue I had while playing it on a DS back in the late 2000's.  So much easier to run in circles now as well as jump diagonally.  Yes it's still not as smooth as later 3D Mario's, but the improved camera and level changes makes it work well enough for me at least and I haven't had any where near the frustration the N64 game was giving me yesterday.  Now if I was to play Mario 64 on a real N64 and Mario 64 DS on a real DS my opinion might be different but when played at the same time on the Wii U with it's controller, I find the DS version more fun to play and control.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 09:48:37 PM »
Well what a different going for 100% makes.  The DS version was better early on but I found myself getting bored toward the end.  The controls while better when played on the Wii U, still aren't the best for the later levels like Rainbow Cruise.  I got all 150 stars, but the final 30 stars really do feel like bloat for the most part.

Went back and got all 120 stars on the N64 version after finishing the DS.  When going for 100%, I'm back to finding the N64 controls to be better.  The analog controls while still not the best when played on the Wii U at least, are much better suited for some of the harder stars.  And speaking of harder stars, even though the N64 version was causing me lots of frustration at time, I actually prefer the difficulty over the DS version.  While I like what it did with some stages like the Desert, they toned down some like the Clock level way too much.  The Clock is actually one of my favorite levels in Mario 64, since it has some of the most pure platforming in the game.

Overall, I wont say one version is clearly superior to the other.  The DS version does have a better camera and makes some nice changes to some of the stages.  But on the other hand, I find the N64 version more fun to pick up and play thanks to the controls which are smoother and faster.  The DS version adds more content but I found a lot of the new stars to not really be all that great.  I liked new stage they added where you rescue Mario but none of the other new ones felt all that compelling.  I wonder if because that's the only new stage that's you're required to play so they put more effort into it then the others.  I didn't really mind the switching between the characters that much since not that many stars require a certain character, and they do give you hats to turn into Mario, Luigi or Wario in the stage itself.

If I had to chose, in the end I'm going to have to say I prefer the N64 version over the DS version.  It was still nice to be able to finally play both right next to each other to compare them.  Hopefully we'll get a remaster with more effort put into it someday that includes both version together.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 02:53:29 PM »
I like that the unoffiicial Retroactive has more replies than the official one. Teach James not to delay the topic next time. ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2020, 03:56:13 PM »
That and people caring about their reputation and don't want it tarnished from the stain of association with James Jones and Jon. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd still like to have a positive credit score when someone looks into my background.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2020, 08:38:30 PM »
Overall, I wont say one version is clearly superior to the other.  The DS version does have a better camera and makes some nice changes to some of the stages.  But on the other hand, I find the N64 version more fun to pick up and play thanks to the controls which are smoother and faster.  The DS version adds more content but I found a lot of the new stars to not really be all that great.  I liked new stage they added where you rescue Mario but none of the other new ones felt all that compelling.  I wonder if because that's the only new stage that's you're required to play so they put more effort into it then the others.  I didn't really mind the switching between the characters that much since not that many stars require a certain character, and they do give you hats to turn into Mario, Luigi or Wario in the stage itself.

The one where you rescue Mario is definitely the best of the new stages. It has a toxic swamp aesthetic which is a unique setting for Mario 64 and it has a nice layout. the three character rescue stages in general feel like a bit of a middle ground between the Bowser Stages and the more traditional open stages. It's an interesting design choice but a part of me wishes they'd gone more in the latter direction since there really aren't enough linear stages in 64 as is.

I kind of like the one off stages they added even though they are blatantly just the multiplayer battle mode stages with some enemies and silver stars thrown in. They're generally just fun to play around in and it's nice to have some more one off stages.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:58:43 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline TrailerMan

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2021, 06:23:38 PM »
While there hasn't been an n64 mini classic, there should be an N64 All Stars where all the games are upgraded.

Imagine if all the games were upgraded and recompiled for some cheap tegra chip. The PC Mario 64 looks pretty fantastic. I've seen versions of it where they used some models and textures from the instruction manuals. I imagine they could get Microsoft on board something like this. They need Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye. There was a ps2 version of Mystical Ninja, I'm not sure how different it was. Konami is a weird company now though.