Author Topic: Castlevania Judgement... not what anyone expected ever... EVER  (Read 73442 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania Judgement... not what anyone expected ever... EVER
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »
I found this amusing...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2008, 05:14:23 AM »
Would have been awfully funny with Juste Belmont.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2008, 06:55:02 AM »
I think after this game flops, Konami is well on its way to being finished.
Are you kidding? It's not like they're spending any money on this game.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »
I think after this game flops, Konami is well on its way to being finished.
Are you kidding?
Quote from: MADONNA DYNOMITE

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »
I think RAB understood that.  He followed up with some sarcasm afterword.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
More Screenshots courtesy of NeoGaf

Do not look at the first post of that thread because he has overblown his screenshots tremendously.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »
There are complaints about it looking PS2 like, I'd say that's the fault of the lighting. The character models don't seem problematic though they have a more painterly style than what you usually see (which may come across as looking last gen). With a prettier lighting setup it would look much better. Anyone feel like shopping the rim lighting from SMG or the Red Steel promo shots into those pics?

People complain about the way Simon looks, I think he was like that in World Fighters too. It doesn't resemble the sprite that much but we're talking about an 8 bit era sprite, anything with arms, legs and a bandana would look like simon. Be glad they didn't use the Captain N design...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
Well KDR it didn't help that the original poster of those pics put them in 2560x1920 and some one re-sized them from those pics. But really the graphics are good. I hate how a lot of people judge lighting this gen. Rim lighting =/= proper lighting 99% of the time. What do we want next a castlevania game that's lit up like its full of Christmas lights?
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »
*Second Newbie Post*

@ Adrock: That. Was. Awesome.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »
I might buy this game to keep Igarashi from making standard Castlevania games.

[konami suit] Decent sales, Iga!  You sold 2 yesterday!  The game even has lolis!
[Iga] Thanks!
[konami suit] We'RE going to have you make 3 more games to have a fantastic fighting series on Wii!
[Iga] WHAT
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:15:06 PM by MADONNA DYNOMITE »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2008, 05:28:31 PM »
I might buy this game..  ...The game even has lolis!

The truth is between the lines... ;)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »
Casltevania Judgement is shaping up to be more interesting.

I wonder if you're the riddler, or the riddle.

I'm actually very impressed with the graphics myself. The character models are really good.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2008, 08:12:45 PM »
I actually think CJ could be cool.  At least they're doing the series justice with their character designs and models.  What bothers me is how you just know that this game won't have a good online component.  Instead of something that players want - like, say, one-one-one online fighting, like 99% of all fighting games these days - you'll get something like the ability to trade items over WiiConnect24.  GREAT

Also, the PS3 has a lot of great exclusives aside from MGS4: Resistance: Fall of Man, Warhawk, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Super Stardust HD (PSN), Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, Echochrome (PSN), Ninja Gaiden Sigma, MLB 08 The Show (best sports game this generation), and maybe a couple more.  The whole "PS3 has no games" stuff has been invalid for a while, yet people still perpetuate it.  Maybe these games aren't some people's cup of tea, but they're all critically-acclaimed.  You could bring them up to defend the PS3 just like people bring up Zack & Wiki and No More Heroes on the Wii.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
The whole "PS3 has no games" stuff has been invalid for a while, yet people still perpetuate it.

Not if the games you listed is as good as it gets...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »
I actually think CJ could be cool.  At least they're doing the series justice with their character designs and models.  What bothers me is how you just know that this game won't have a good online component.  Instead of something that players want - like, say, one-one-one online fighting, like 99% of all fighting games these days - you'll get something like the ability to trade items over WiiConnect24.  GREAT

The material for this game DOES confirm 1 vs 1 online fighting...

Also, the PS3 has a lot of great exclusives aside from MGS4: Resistance: Fall of Man, Warhawk, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Super Stardust HD (PSN), Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, Echochrome (PSN), Ninja Gaiden Sigma, MLB 08 The Show (best sports game this generation), and maybe a couple more.  The whole "PS3 has no games" stuff has been invalid for a while, yet people still perpetuate it.  Maybe these games aren't some people's cup of tea, but they're all critically-acclaimed.  You could bring them up to defend the PS3 just like people bring up Zack & Wiki and No More Heroes on the Wii.

It's true. Just like the GameCube had good exclusive games, so too does the PS3.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »

And?  The WONDERSWAN had good games too.  What we're talking about here is the PERCEPTION that the PS3 has no good games.  And as we all know, perception = reality.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »

Getting a $400+ system to play more-expensive HD upgrades (or "corrections" to cover previous-gen mishaps) versions of last-gen experiences is not A CUP OF TEA it's 5-6 tanks of gas, or RENT.  How you managed include Motorstorm on that list is beyond me.  "Critically acclaimed" is a marketable way of saying "yeah this game was pretty cool and looked good on an expensive TV" by journalists (lolz) who don't have to buy these games in the first place.

That is my extremist view.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2008, 11:26:40 PM »

Emo Simon makes you want to pre-order now, doesn't it?
More screens, some new: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14262760/imgs_1.html

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2008, 12:03:09 AM »
People complain about the way Simon looks, I think he was like that in World Fighters too. It doesn't resemble the sprite that much but we're talking about an 8 bit era sprite, anything with arms, legs and a bandana would look like simon. Be glad they didn't use the Captain N design...
Simon in CJ is based on Ayami Kojima's redesign from Castlevania Chronicles. He doesn't look as manly but I always liked Kojima's designs so I never minded.
At least they're doing the series justice with their character designs and models.
Eww...

I'm not digging the anime art style for the series nor do I watch/care for Death Note. I still find it strange that IGA admitted on several occasions that fans of the series have not been receptive of the anime designs in Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin and yet he opts for anime designs for Judgement AFTER going back to a darker, more mature art style for Order of Ecclesia. He's like an alzheimer's patient.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2008, 01:14:54 AM »
All those games are embarassingly awful

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »
I think the game has potential. I'd much, much rather see a 2D Castlevania game hit the consoles though (preferablly with an Aria of Sorrow like soul system!). Considering just how high resolution 2D graphics could be on home consoles today, it's really a shame that no one wants to make them.

Also, how do we go from this to this? Anime can be good, no doubt, but the art style is far inferior in this case.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
Adrock: There's still a bit of a difference between PoR's look and this, PoR is closer to the saturday morning type of anime while this is more like Soul Calibur. Also the characters still appear as apathetic and androgynous as the Kojima designs, if it hadn't been talked about so much I'd have thought it was designed by Kojima (adaption into 3d cannot be that true for paintings like that but the characters retain a fairly painted look).

Considering just how high resolution 2D graphics could be on home consoles today, it's really a shame that no one wants to make them.

I think you already found the issue there: High resolution. Sony and MS expect HD. Sprites look best when they are designed pixel perfect (otherwise you get scaling artifacts), with HD that's impossible since you can't even assume a certain resolution for the screen (and more pixels = more work). It costs too much to get proper sprites for HD graphics and it'll not be easy to get something that looks good at all resolutions (since details can't just be scaled algorithmically).

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »
Sigh.

I think I know Konami's game here.  They know I am so appalled by the horrid Soul Calibur IV - wracked with Namco's extreme ambition to try and suck away every ounce of dignity from the series by populating it with bullshit anime figures and ridiculous third party characters - that I'll actually start to see CJ as "making sense" in a way, and ultimately be drawn to it.

I mean, at least the characters designs aren't laughable like SC has become.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2008, 01:05:20 PM »
And?  The WONDERSWAN had good games too.  What we're talking about here is the PERCEPTION that the PS3 has no good games.  And as we all know, perception = reality.

That's exactly what I'm arguing against: the PERCEPTION that the PS3 has no good games.  The whole point of my post was that that perception is WRONG.  In fact, it's not even close to true.  I mean, I could also toss Folklore, Eye of Judgement, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune onto my above list.  Hell, Unreal Tournament III was PS3-exclusive until last week, when a gimped (i.e. you can't use user-made content like you can on PS3) version was released on 360.  On top of that you can run out and buy non-exclusives like Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty 4, Oblivion, and Devil May Cry 4.  Yeah, the PS3 has NO GAMES.  Right.

Getting a $400+ system to play more-expensive HD upgrades (or "corrections" to cover previous-gen mishaps) versions of last-gen experiences is not A CUP OF TEA it's 5-6 tanks of gas, or RENT.  How you managed include Motorstorm on that list is beyond me.  "Critically acclaimed" is a marketable way of saying "yeah this game was pretty cool and looked good on an expensive TV" by journalists (lolz) who don't have to buy these games in the first place.

That is my extremist view.

What do expensive TVs have to do with any of this?  You don't need one to play 360 or PS3.  Furthermore, the phrase "critically-acclaimed" also applies to games like Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii, all of which, by the way, are upgrades of last-gen experiences.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
Hell, Unreal Tournament III was PS3-exclusive until last week

PC says hello. Anyway, the perception of "no games" comes from having mostly games with only niche appeal. Most people haven't even heard of those games. Perception may not be reality but perception drives sales. Negative perception = low sales and you know what low sales mean for a console.

Pro was probably complaining about the notion that critical acclaim is all a game needs and that failure of such games to sell is somehow the fault of the buyers rather than the fault of the seller.