Author Topic: Should Nintendo buy Midway?  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Squall

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Should Nintendo buy Midway?
« on: February 08, 2003, 07:20:17 PM »
Gamecube is losing sports, and this would give them all of midway's sports exclusive.  Plus Mortal Kombat.  Midway are in financial trouble, it'd be cheap.  Nintendo could make sure the games are good (the biggest issue I'd have with them buying them, keeping up Nintendo quality).  Your thoughts?

Offline Mojo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 07:23:32 PM »
I dunno... they don't have a ton to offer, IMO.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 07:23:53 PM »
Yes yes yes, the arcade like sports games sell better than the Sim heavy VC/Sega games. Perfect for the GCN audience. MK would give GCN a violent exclusive fighter for the console and a good Triforce candidate. Plus Midway has done a few Arcade FPS in the past wich would give the GCN an exclusive FPS something it sorely needs. Problem is, 1.Expensive and 2. Nintendo doesnt buy companies.

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 07:42:45 PM »
No, it's a waste of money,  Midway sucks
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 07:46:33 PM »
yes, midway is a decent company with good ideas..maybe someitmes poorly executed...with a multitude of franchises that would really fill out nintendo's library. On top of that Wit hNitnendo's quality assurance they may become an awesoem company.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 07:52:11 PM »
No thanks. The only good game Midway has ever come up with is Doom 64.

Offline Ikaruga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 07:52:34 PM »
Are you kidding me? Nintendo buy Midway? Never. Midway suck, and Microsoft is said to be eyeing them.

Factor 5 is something Nintendo should buy.  

Offline Game_Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 07:56:23 PM »
Nintendo wont buy midway, because they are buying EA. That is why Sega stopped developing sports games on Gamecube, because they didnt want to compete with EA's exclusive games on Gamecube and now they will make more money on PS2 because EA will stop making ps2 games.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 07:57:32 PM »
He He... Microsoft is always eyeballing crappy companies ('cept Rare).

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 07:58:17 PM »
yes but M$ were going to buy Vivendi and it was a hoax, M$ is interested in everybody.  Midway has some respectable liscences, i forgot to add SanFransisco Rush... Also they have good designers, Turmel and Ed Boon 2 great guys. Id love to see Nintendo do this, but like i said i doubt it.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 07:58:18 PM »
You guys are seriously underestimating Midway. During the PSX/N64 days I really could have cared less about them. But recently I find that Midway is actually putting an effort into their games. Of course their execution isn't great and usually winds up only being decent but they certainly have been trying. Thing is though, Midway can push out games at a nice rate, something that would aid Nintendo immensely. And who knows... perhaps if Nintendo overlooked development Midway's quality may increase as well.

Plus as Squall mentioned... Midway has arcady sports games. That can help out Gamecube's line-up as well.

Perhaps Midway will stick out as the worst of Nintendo's first parties, but they will certainly release the most titles.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 08:16:55 PM »
'Nintendo wont buy midway, because they are buying EA. That is why Sega stopped developing sports games on Gamecube, because they didnt want to compete with EA's exclusive games on Gamecube and now they will make more money on PS2 because EA will stop making ps2 games. '

Sweet fancy moses!  Where in the ! did you hear that?!  EA is the biggest 3rd party around, and i doubt that they would be on the block...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 08:46:49 PM »
Game_freak, I am sickened by your stupidity Please change your name so that people won't confuse me for you.

Anyway, not even Microsoft is rich enough to buy EA...Sure they have enough money, but spending so much money would cripple them forever. You forget that once a company is bought all is not over. Aside from the cost of buying the company, there is the cost of maintaining it. Neither Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft have the funds to buy EA and on top of that pay for themselves and all of EA's endeavors at the same time. You underestimate how enourmous EA is. Not only does EA make the second most profits from games (after Nintendo, source G4TV), they are also second largest game publisher in the world (after Nintendo; source, many places). They also publish more games than any other company except maybe Nintendo (i'm not sure who publishes more, EA has PC titles as well but Nintendo has a lot of GBA titles, I think EA beats them as far as this generation goes, but Nintendo has published more games overall).

Also, look at EA's success, not only financially, but critically. EA has the second most number of games nominated for the AIAS awards this year...

Offline Lucent97

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 09:24:35 PM »
yes ........ so San Francisco Rush 3010 can be gamecube EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Destiny belongs to those who search for it

Offline Squall

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 10:25:48 PM »
EA is the largest publisher in NA, next is Activision, next is Nintendo.  That's just in North America though.  My source is either Fast Company or Business 2.0 (I think that's the name) magazine.  I'm not saying anything in particular, just another statistic some people might like to know.

If Nintendo could get a few people here and there with experience in sports games (don't know who, maybe steal someone from EA or Sega) and put them together with Midway's sports teams, they could do some good stuff.  EA wouldn't necessarily be large competition too, since as far as I know Midway sports games tend to be more arcadey.  Hitz and Slugfest are already over 80% at gamerankings.com.  If they and Blitz could get up to around 90, and NBA was added along with Red card improving, GC might actually be a viable choice for sports games.

Also, does anyone know if there are any baseball games being released in Japan?  From what I read about Yamauchi and the Mariners, he pretty much brought baseball to Japan.  That may be wrong, but it is popular there, right?  Games might not be a bad idea.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 10:52:12 PM »
Nintendo has had its own sports franchises since the NES days. The company just lost interest in sports and let the franchises die. The only sports franchise Nintendo kept alive was NBA Courtside, but Left Field never did a real great job with it and not so great sales have probably landed it a spot in the "dead" section of Nintendo's archives...Besides, Left Field left Nintendo..Maybe Nintendo should give NST the task of some sports games after 1080 is released, even though NST is the "worst" out of Nintendo's 6 first parties...And I highly doubt anything they come up with will sell well.  

Offline Game_Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 10:57:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
Game_freak, I am sickened by your stupidity Please change your name so that people won't confuse me for you.

DAMN YOU! You stole my name!

And as for EA being the biggest publisher in America,

Nintendo
Super Mario 64 - 5,943,504
Goldeneye - 5,019,092
Mario Kart 64 - 4,796,480
Super Smash Bros - 2,546,700
Super Smash Bros Melee - 1,339,825
Pokemon Stadium - 2,501,307
Donkey Kong 64 - 2,336,122
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 3,543,374
Starfox 64 - 2,392,707
Diddy Kong Racing - 2,500,609
Wave Race 64 - 1,706,024
Banjo-Kazooie - 1,616,250
Yoshi's Story - 1,105,117
1080 Snowboarding - 1,077,762
+ HUGE sales for every pokemon game, the super mario advances and every other Gameboy nintendo game. EA cant even dream of touching those incredible sales, EVER!

C'mon, show me some EA sales, i DARE you!  

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 11:03:23 PM »
lol those numbers are totally wrong. It's widely known that Goldeneye sold 7 million copies in North America alone, for example. Ocarina of time sold about 8.5 million worldwide, not sure about NA.

I was just kidding man, but Nintendo buying EA was pretty stupid. I'm sure I've had this name longer than you though

Offline Game_Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2003, 11:11:43 PM »
BULLSH!T, they are 100% acurate, from the December NPD sales chart! I'll dig up a link if you still dont believe me...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2003, 11:26:23 PM »
Changed my name for less confusion, it's all your fault Gamefreak.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2003, 11:30:47 PM »
lol you didn't have to do that Gimme a link. And are these North American or worldwide? I'm absolutely sure Goldeneye sold 7 million in North America, i saw this on both Gamespot and IGN too.

edit: Why is g a y a banned word and not bullshit?

edit2: Didn't you say Mario Kart 64 sold over 5 million in the US somewhere else?

edit3: This info is straight from IGN64, and they say they got the info straight from Nintendo.

Likewise, the US release of Super Mario 64 sold more than 9 million

[Goldeneye] unseated Mario Kart 64 as the #2 title, with almost 7 million copies sold.

These figures are accurate as of 09/30/99. They also mention more games such as Mario Kart 64 (over 6 million in US). They also have some Japanese numbers, like Mario 64 which was about 2 million in Japan.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2003, 12:25:14 AM »
Got all my info here. But it doesnt include walmart. DAMN! Super Mario 64 sold over 9 million in the US alone! That is incredible! I guess alot of nintendo fans buy there games from walmart. Super Mario 64 sales for every store except walmart were about 6 million. That means one third of Super Mario 64's sales were from Walmart!

Offline Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2003, 04:20:52 AM »
In a word, no. Unless they want to fire virtually every single soul at the company and put EAD people in their place..

Mario: Super Mario 64 did not sell 9 million units. That would make it the top-selling non-pack-in US game of all time.. which it isn't.

If I recall, Super Mario Bros 3 (with 8+ million units sold in the US alone) is still the victor there. The Sims = 6+ million.
Blade
"Disney announces th' Lion King II: Simba's Pride.. now with EXTRA subliminal sexual innuendo! Yippee!"

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2003, 05:17:51 AM »
Wow blade you are very stupid indeed...That info is STRAIGHT FROM NINTENDO!. Mario 64 sold 9 million in the US. Super Mario Bros. 3 sold 15 million worldwide. Super Mario Bros. holds the record with 40 million units sold SEPERATELY worldwide. Pack ins are never counted as sold units. And when you think about, it's quite realistic that more than 40 million people own/owned Super Mario Bros. Pretty much every single family I know has a copy of that game somewhere. And almost every single person I know under 30 has played that game. The Sims sold about 6.5 million yes, you're right about that.

Of course plenty of people buy their games from Wal Mart! Holy crap you're stupid. More people buy anything from Wal Mart than from anywhere else. Wal Mart is the most successful retailer in history, period. I'm sure far more than 1/3 of the people in the US buy most of their games from Wal Mart. Heck, the only other place I buy games from is CompUSA (sometimes Best Buy). Of course, CompUSA and BestBuy are only in pretty large cities. Wal Marts are everywhere, Wal Marts don't jack up prices. Everyone shops at wal mart.

Also, those are estimates, and they are based on NPD data but they are not NPD's figures. Also, my info is straight from Nintendo, not estimates from some third party.  

Offline Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2003, 11:23:03 AM »
Gamefreak: Why insult me? It's immature and all-around pointless since I'm not on the offensive in this thread. BTW, GameSpot cites SMB3 as the top-selling non-pack-in game of all time. "1990: Nintendo releases Super Mario 3, the all-time best-selling video-game cartridge" That's one instance.

There's more of course, and any way you look at it.. SMB3 outsold SM64..
Blade
"Disney announces th' Lion King II: Simba's Pride.. now with EXTRA subliminal sexual innuendo! Yippee!"

Offline gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2003, 07:15:42 AM »
I want San Francisco Rush back. i have all the rush games on the n64. Rush games are my favorite racing games.    RUSH!!

Offline Dr Synthetic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2003, 08:03:02 AM »
I think it's ludicrous to think that they're not counting pack-ins, Gamefreak.  Case in point:  When do you see used copies of Super Mario Bros without Duck Hunt on the cartridge?  As far as I know (and I'm pretty damn sure I'm right), they NEVER sold the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cartridge separate from the NES... if you bought those games outside of the pack-in, you bought either Super Mario Bros or you bought Duck Hunt... separately.  Sure, there are a few copies of Super Mario Bros floating around, but if it sold FORTY MILLION worldwide, we'd be DROWNING in them at the used stores... like we drown in Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo cartridges.

Back on topic, though, Midway can screw off.  Nintendo doesn't need them at all.  If they were to buy ANY company, they should buy Capcom.  And that's it.  Midway doesn't fit with Nintendo like Capcom does... I don't even think Midway is a *halfway* decent game company.
I'll show you a trick with ants...

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2003, 08:57:22 AM »
Nah, I don't see Nintendo and Midway being a good fit together.  Call it "corporate culture" or whatever but Nintendo's and Midway's business practices are so radically different that I could see a very significant portion of Midway's employees leaving.  Midway's IPs aren't worth the money it'd take to get them.