Author Topic: 1080 Avalanche or SSX3  (Read 7930 times)

Offline CaseyRyback

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
1080 Avalanche or SSX3
« on: October 21, 2003, 06:20:03 PM »
I just heard that 1080 has LAN play! that means playing on the warp tunnel is going to rule and as much as I loved Tricky I think that 1080 may be the way to go.

Has anyone gotten SSX3 yet and is it like Tricky with all the stuff to grind and such and just longer levels or more like a mix of Amped and Tricky

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:1080 Avalanche or SSX3
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 06:25:02 PM »
Both games are completely different...I recommend you get both(like me) if you are a big fan of snowboarding games...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: 1080 Avalanche or SSX3
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 06:29:08 PM »
SSX3 is pure arcade madness, 1080 is arcade madness mixed with "OH NO, YOU'RE OFF BALANCE! WIGGLE THE STICK!" *FALLEN OVER*

Hope that helped. *Dusts hands together with a job well done*

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 06:31:14 PM »
I think I may just finally buy Tricky (rented it like 4 times) and buy 1080 for the LAN play even though I hate that hit a button to land properly stuff

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 06:32:14 PM »
i'm in a position just like you.  Personally I'm gonna wait for IGN to write a review on 1080, then from there I'm going to pick up one of them.  From my impressions, 1080 seems to be slower than SSX and lacks depth.  So right now, my preference is kinda swayed to SSX.  But we're just gonna have to wait (and hopefully the price on it drops down too)

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 06:34:14 PM »
I am getting a BB adaptor for Christmas and with the warp tunnel it will have to be the other hot game to play over a LAN so thats my only reason for purchasing because if it did not have LAN I would be getting SSX 3

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 06:59:22 PM »
Tunneling online isn't that special you know.  Feels like playing against the computer since you can't chat or communicate with other players.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 07:02:10 PM »
yea that may be but its at least it will keep the game fresher for longer

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 07:09:37 PM »
I prefer plain-old multiplayer with people I know, but yeah, I guess it does add to the replay value.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 07:40:02 PM »
I am with SSX 3 all the way.  I found it rather odd that I would choose that route.  But it's the better way I think.  I don't buy sports games because they bore me to death.  Too much realism in a sports game is a real turn-off.  When Tony Hawk came out though, I finally found a game that I enjoyed.  It got beaten to death with sequels, but I did enjoy the basic concept.  When SSX Tricky came out, it was like a godsend.  The game featured a really whacked physics model, and allowed you to do LOTS of stuff you couldn't do in real life.  1080 was always a little too realistic for my tastes.  

Now with the obvious choice between SSX 3 and 1080: Avalanche, I have to go with SSX.  Surprising as it may seem, EA has made the FUN game, and Nintendo has made the realistic game.

Once again, I have to emphasize that I don't look at the rating when buying a game.  I look at how much fun the game will be, and the enjoyment I will get from playing it.  Nintendo has made a game that's realistic in nature (thus an inheritantly higher rating, in spite of the fact that it will probably be rated E), while EA has made a cartoony FUN game.

It's truly amazing that two of my favorite developers are Canadian I tell ya.  There isn't much about Canada that I DO like (although the number of things is growing at a fast rate).  (the 2 developers are EA Big and Silicon Knights.)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 08:01:37 PM »
I will get 1080 cuz it's similar in spirit to games like Wave Race: Blue Storm and Excitebike 64.  I prefer the racing approach, which means you're focusing on following a track, not "leaving" it in favor of spending time in the upper atmosphere.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 09:05:26 PM »
I just read the IGN comparison of the 3 versions of SSX3, and Gamecube got ranked last

What I was really disappointed was because the Gamecube has fewer buttons than the other 2 consoles, EA opted to remove a bunch of moves from the Gamecube version.  So in essence, it's just a gimped SSX3 whereas Xbox/PS2 get the real full version.  It's probably still fun.. but I'm starting to learn towards 1080.  

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 12:48:37 AM »
It is my professional opinion that the IGN head-to-head's are a sham.

I believe I may have figured out the formula for how they decide who "wins."

If only one version (for this case, console) has online features, even if they amount to no more than basic multiplayer with strangers or downloading useless crap like skins or (God Forbid) patches, that equals an automatic win.  The rest of the review is them just jabbering and sometimes making stuff up, and in the end Online = win.

Next, barring that it is originally a PC game, Xbox wins.  Usually because of online, but mostly because screenshots of Xbox games look better on their capture equipment, if you get my drift.  Also, usually the Xbox will gain victory because they set the "Standard" for these head to heads Outrageously high.  As in, assuming everybody has a $15,000 home theater system.  I believe this is the first reason this whole head to head thing is fundamentally flawed.  Why don't they try it on an average setup, like just a 19" Color TV? (I'll be generous, I'd allow S-Video to get rid of that "dot crawl" stuff)  Would the results be different? Probably, because then the game would be rated by its own merits instead of cheap resolution tricks, AND I would be able to relate to the review more, as I DO NOT have a $15,000 home theater system.

These heads-to-heads are really tilted to the Xbox, and I am not some gigantic Nintendo fanboy when I say this.  Just a really big one... nevermind, I have proof.  They will try to be current with the head-to-head, and if that means the usually late GC version (saaayyy.. Hitman2) gets left out, so be it.  However, they have no problem waiting half a year for the Xbox versions of Star Wars: Clone Wars and Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee.

If you guys want Insider for these head-to-heads, do yourself a favor, don't.  You could say "Lesse, the Xbox version will win because of online." and be 80% right.  And you should not have to pay for what you can already accurately guess.

It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 01:03:50 AM »
Oh, and for my preference, I enjoyed the original 1080 over SSX Trickey, So, unless the game has completely changed form the demo, I think I'll like 1080 Avalanche better than SSX3.  The clothing flapping around in 1080 is just too good to pass up, it's beatif... no... VIEWTIFUL.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Round Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 11:38:31 AM »
Canada ROCKS!

Okay, who am I kidding we suck.

It's not us really, its those arrogant anti-american politicians the East keeps voting into power that give us a bad rep.  The west was all for supporting the US in its war on Iraq, but I guess you guys won't make the distinction and you still won't buy our beef.

Hopefully our next leader will be better at promoting US/Canada relations and we can get back to business, after all is'nt that all that really matters.

Back to topic, I am looking forward to SSX3 having enjoyed 2 a lot, but not sure I will buy either game as I have bought too many games lately, and still have not had much time to play any of them.
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 07:18:48 AM »
My opinion is far too biased on this to give a fair opinion.  But for the record I think SSX3 all the way.

The west was all for supporting the US in its war on Iraq

I was?  I don't think so...  In fact... I wasn't.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 09:20:30 AM »
> The west was all for supporting the US in its war on Iraq

So, are Germany and France now considered middle-eastern, or what?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 09:23:31 AM »
France and Germany had legitimate reasons for opposing the war with Iraq, namely huge oil deals.

Anyway, 1080 looks to be a decent game, but I think EA has a bit more experience, and, in my opinion, SSX was a better game than 1080. If I bought sports games at all, I'd probably buy SSX3, especially with all the incredible reviews it's been getting.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 09:56:32 AM »
i think when he said the west he meant western canada....im not sure, but thats what i thought it sounded like. france and germany had billions invested in iraq. they opposed the war for nothing more then money. it had nothing to do with being noble or a the war being illegal. they knew america would ask them to forgive the debt iraq owed them when they invaded. and now they will have to forgive it to continue to look noble. they know that this war was the right thing...which is why excluding every non-iraq investing country and and every extremely anti american country supported the war....they didnt all send troops, but they knew that it was for the best. and i will most likely get niether cuz i hate snowboarding!  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 09:59:04 AM »
I think I agree with you nolimit, but I'm not sure.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2003, 02:38:36 PM »
What's the deal with LAN?  You actually need 4 TV's and 4 GCN's to use it?  Clear this up plz...

By the way, I've never played SSX (but I'm definitely getting my hands on SSX3!) but 1080 was the bomb on N64
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2003, 02:51:11 PM »
yea can we connect to others over the internet through that spy hting??? because if you can, i may just buy that game to utilize my bb adapter.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2003, 04:13:00 PM »
I am going with 1080, I loved the original, and played the demo.  Hopefully NST polishes enough to take it from a good game, to a great game.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2003, 04:53:02 PM »
yup 1080 is great, ssx is fun but i like 1080
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2003, 05:58:49 PM »
SSX 3 so far feels like the better game in terms of gameplay.  The races are MUCH larger in SSX 3, like three times as long.  The races in 1080 Avalanche are painfully short.  Plus, SSX3 has an exploration mode that is a real blast.

Yes, 1080 will have LAN play, but SSX 3 seems to be the better game right now.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2003, 06:46:49 AM »
Painfully short as in Wave Race Blue Storm short? Because the short races in that game really annoyed me. Since 1080 and Wave Race are both by NST, i fear 1080 will be lacking in presentation and options, just as Wave Race Blue Storm was. Or maybe not. I want to get both SSX3 and 1080 because they are different enough to buy both of them and enjoy them on different levels.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2003, 06:58:46 AM »
At least in Wave Race, you have LAPS, and you can make a race longer.  That's not possible in 1080.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2003, 09:06:36 AM »
I don't know how many of you use connectivity, but SSX3 and SSX3 GBA have a decent feature.  Money you earn on the GBA or Gamecube can be transferred to the same character on either console.  So if I'm using Elise, and I make 15,000 bucks on the GBA, when I get home I can send all that money to my Gamecube Elise and use it to buy attributes on the Gamecube.  I use it a lot here at the office, helps me build up my stats for the Gamecube version all the time.  This might be a factor in a purchase decision, though to be honest, I don't know what sort of connectivity features 1080 has.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline highenergyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2003, 10:23:42 AM »
The SSX franchise never sparked my interest and it doesn't look like this will be changing anytime soon with SSX3. There's only room for one snowboarding game in my library and that honor will go to 1080. I guess I just have too many fond memories of the N64 gem. Up until than I had never touched any other sports game. Of course this was years before SSX came into being so it came too little too late to have a similar impact, but that's not my problem.      

Offline Shadowdane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2003, 10:50:53 AM »
I got SSX3 originally for PS2, and while it was nice..  had some HUGE framerate problems, as well as very grainy looking textures.
Traded it in for the GC version, and well its quite an improvement..  especially the framerate!  

The only downside on the GC version is slightly lower sound quality, its not noticeable unless you have a mid to high-end surround sound system though.  And they removed a few grab moves, not a big deal in my book.

Also just a note, I assume because of the size of the GC disks looks like the had to add a little extra compression to some of the textures so some of them are little bit blurry.

Otherwise its an excellent game, not to be missed.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2003, 02:59:08 PM »
Wow so the GC version sounds better than the PS2 one, awesome! How is the GC controller though?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2003, 03:10:33 PM »
I don't like Tricky that much... but I'm not a big fan of the "bust an insane trick" genre. I like racing. 1080 was one of the best racing games I've played. I'm like Grey Ninja, though, in  that I don't like realistic sports games, however, I found 1080's racing to be incredibly fun (I'm talking Mario Kart fun... with less multi-player)

So anyway, I'll be getting 1080 for sure (assuming its as good as the first), and I might get SSX3 later on.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2003, 03:59:26 PM »
If you hadn't noticed, I haven't been here the last couple of days.  The reason is very simple.  I HAVE BEEN PLAYING SSX 3!!!!!!

THIS GAME TOTALLY RULES!!!!!!!!

My roommate bought the PS2 version, and I bought the GCN version the very next day.  I prefer the GCN version greatly, as the controls feel WAY more natural to me, and other than a horribly bruised thumb, I have no injuries.  I have little girl sized hands, but the mere thought of having to press L1, L2, and Up on the D-Pad at the same time makes my hand hurt.  I have no such problems with the GCN.

I FREAKING LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

(I bought Rebel Strike at the same time, but have barely touched it.)

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »
people whho are basing thier opinions on the 1080 demo,DONT. its a demo...half complete version. when 1080 Avalanche was first played it was hated...fast forward a year later and you got a nice clean game. i  have a feeling that this game will get dissed because it doesnt feel like SSX3. its too slow etc ....i was never really looking forward to this game until i say a direct feed footage T.V quality....it was fast, avalanches were droping , caves being caved in....massive tricks being executed etc.  Dont judge the game till you have sat down with it for more than 1 hour.  
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2003, 10:07:00 AM »
Looking like SSX3 for me, I have always enoyed tricks more than racing.  Is SSX still a pretty good copy of the older Cool Borders games, but upgraded?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2003, 10:16:02 AM »
Uglydot, I never played Cool Boarders all that much, but what I did play, I never really liked much.

this might help you out though, as I have already finished the game and written my review.    

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2003, 10:21:04 AM »
1080 for me simply because SSX doesn't appeal to me as much as 1080. Avalanche also seems to be more focused on racing which I like

Offline J

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2003, 08:35:37 AM »
i got ssx3 for the ps2, i love it!

i worry that with 1080 for the gc will turn out like wave race for the gc.
just an updated version of the n64.  that wont cut it for me.

i might give it a rent when i have some time, but i am not expecting much.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2003, 08:46:33 AM »
i got this gamecube dvd and it showed 1080 off for about 10 mins of direct footage. it was the e3 version and the game still had 6 months of devolepment left. think about it like that..

Offline novastar512

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »
Well, I tend to think that SSX3 is better. I have it for my PS2 and I bought it the first day it came out.  Now, I am an extreme Nintendo fanboy, but online multiplayer took precedence and it is awesome to play online.  Albeit you can only play against only 1 human opponent, it is really fun.  Graphically, it is really good, and I am not having framerate problems.  BTW - I don't think you can tunnel SSX3, but maybe with 1080, but I am skeptical with tunneling

1080 looks kinda good, but I am worried about the longevity, since it looks a little slow and boring.  Plus the levels don't seem that big looking.  So it may be a bit more fun than SSX in the short run, but not for longevity.  I'll rent it to make sure of it first.  However, I highly recomment, SSX3 if you have a PS2, but as for a GC maybe, but I think online is really needed to fully enjoy it.  But Tricky didn't have it and after renting it 4 times I bought it lol.  PLus I bought SSX used for 10 bucks and I was willing to pay full price for it.

At worst, just wait till 1080 comes out and make a descision.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »
i feel that 1080's courses are a bit short but there are many diffrent ways to race them, you want to cause an avalanche and open up a tunnel or do you want to try cutting through the ice...or are you cautious?