Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674494 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto
« Reply #2700 on: May 22, 2021, 07:41:49 PM »
That loss makes this even funnier:

It’s like they learned nothing from last year. Keep your mouths closed until you’ve done something. What are y’all doing? You’re staring down a role player for trying to play defense while Luka Dončić dismantles yours. Didn’t you guys tank specifically to play the Mavericks instead of the Lakers? What a bunch of fucking clownshoes.

If the Mavericks lose this series, I really hope the Jazz embarrass them right out of Staples Center. My goodness, man, this team is hard to like.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: May 22, 2021, 11:07:47 PM »
While the Nets crushed the Celtics tonight following James Harden's miraculous (and some would say "convenient") return from resting all season by faking an injury, I found this article on good ol' King James.

It seems that the NBA's current favorite son violated the League's Health & Safety Protocols, a violation that will apparently result in no punishment whatsoever from the League because he's Lebron James.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/charles-barkley-on-lebron-james-violating-nba-protocols-league-doesnt-have-the-guts-to-suspend-him/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:09:22 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: May 22, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
Well he did it Tuesday night. Another reason Warriors should've been in 7th seed.

And to BeautifulShy, is I was running the team, we would've had LaMelo instead of Wiseman, and we might not have even been in the play in, because we would've 6 seed or higher.

But to answer the question directly, I would just run it back. We get Klay back next season.
With Poole and JTA making such strides this season, Curry will have help spacing the floor next season and not need to flip the MVP switch full time just to win games.
Not to mention we have the T Wolves pick possibly.... So we might have another shot at a relatively high 1st rnd pick.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2703 on: May 23, 2021, 12:42:51 AM »
While the Nets crushed the Celtics tonight following James Harden's miraculous (and some would say "convenient") return from resting all season by faking an injury, I found this article on good ol' King James.

It seems that the NBA's current favorite son violated the League's Health & Safety Protocols, a violation that will apparently result in no punishment whatsoever from the League because he's Lebron James.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/charles-barkley-on-lebron-james-violating-nba-protocols-league-doesnt-have-the-guts-to-suspend-him/

LMAO. That's ridiculous.  Is the official line for the league that the event required negative tests/proof of vaccination?  Or just a shoulder shrug?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: May 23, 2021, 01:10:45 AM »
If the Lakers win this year, it’s comforting to know the same whiners who cried about putting an asterisk next to last season’s championship will try to invalidate this year’s because “LeBron shouldn’t have played in the first round.” I already know I wouldn’t enjoy a championship this year, and this is just one more thing for people to be insufferable about.

I don’t have enough information about how the league governs the health and safety protocols to form an educated opinion on this even if everyone wants to shout favoritism. Superstar players sometimes get preferential treatment from refs. From the league during a global pandemic where people’s lives are at stake? Forgive my skepticism.

That said, if letter of the law states James must miss time due to health and safety protocol, then that should absolutely happen, playoffs be damned. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case and James may skirt by due to the circumstances of the event. Per the article that broke this news by ESPN’s Dave McMenamin:
The tequila was poured at a brief outdoor photo shoot, and invitees, including recording artist Drake and actor Michael B. Jordan, had to produce proof of vaccination or a recent negative test result in order to attend.
If it weren’t for the fact that it’s verified and corroborated that James couldn’t even attend the event if he didn’t produce proof of vaccination or a recent negative test result, perhaps he would have had to miss time. I guess it also helps that the event was outside.

It should be noted that Kevin Porter Jr. violated the league’s health and safety protocols in April and was fined $50,000. He went to a strip club and is decidedly not a superstar player. The only punishment is the fine as players aren’t suspended for violating health and safety protocols. Any games missed are due to quarantine. Expect a LeFine from the league. James can wipe the tears from that $50,000 fine with $100,000.

I’ve gotten the impression from various comment threads I was stupid enough to scroll through that the people who are mad about this are primarily mad because it’s LeBron James and the Lakers, and if it was the best player on the team they root for, the vast majority of them would shut up about it. That sounds about right.

Also, James may already be vaccinated even if he won’t publicly admit it. When Dennis Schröder had to go into quarantine on May 3, he stated he and James were the only Lakers players not vaccinated. About a week ago, Schröder said he was the only Lakers player not vaccinated. Either James is vaccinated or he told Schröder to shut the **** up. In a recent memo to teams, the league agreed to loosen restrictions to protocols “two weeks past their final dose and any team where 85% of players and 85% of staff are fully vaccinated.” We’ll see when/if the Lakers are eligible.

Ultimately, without more information, the main thing I find disconcerting is James being so coy about whether he’s vaccinated. It seems like Schröder unwittingly outed him already. While he is not required by law or the league to publicly confirm his status, doing so would go a long way toward normalizing the vaccine for those on the fence who respect James enough to follow his lead. I can also see not wanting that pressure as it is not really his responsibility unless you want to get philosophical about it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:17:25 AM by Adrock »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: May 23, 2021, 05:06:49 AM »
NBA2K21 is available to snag for free at the Epic Game Store for a limited time.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: May 23, 2021, 05:11:01 AM »
It's also on Xbox GamePass right now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: May 23, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »
I’m fine with the Lakers losing. I just don’t want to listen to Mark Jackson while it happens.

His commentary is like “When the ball goes in the basket, the player who shot is credited the points. Mama, there goes that man.”

Can some team please hire this man as coach?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: May 23, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »
I’m fine with the Lakers losing. I just don’t want to listen to Mark Jackson while it happens.

His commentary is like “When the ball goes in the basket, the player who shot is credited the points. Mama, there goes that man.”

Can some team please hire this man as coach?

Sounds very "Madden"-like annoyingly obvious commentary.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: May 23, 2021, 11:46:51 PM »
UGH...absolutely pathetic showing from the Jazz tonight. Just no offensive playmaking whatsoever. I can't believe they had Mitchell sit this game out. Clearly, he can't sit this series out going forward.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: May 23, 2021, 11:50:01 PM »
UGH...absolutely pathetic showing from the Jazz tonight. Just no offensive playmaking whatsoever. I can't believe they had Mitchell sit this game out. Clearly, he can't sit this series out going forward.

If a couple more days will have him at 100%, why not let him sit... it's a 7 game series.
Losing the home court advantage isn't the end of the world. Especially if you win the next 2-3 and take it back.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: May 24, 2021, 12:15:11 AM »

If a couple more days will have him at 100%, why not let him sit... it's a 7 game series.
Losing the home court advantage isn't the end of the world. Especially if you win the next 2-3 and take it back.

I'm not certain the Jazz will win the next 2-3 games if they continue to be as rusty and uncoordinated on the floor as they were tonight. I know it's only a 3 point loss, but they were down by 15 at one point in the 4th. It was a disaster.

The one good takeaway from all this is that there's no way the Jazz can be as cold shooting in the next game as they were tonight. They were ice cold tonight. And Gobert has to learn again how to play without fouling.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: May 24, 2021, 12:29:31 AM »
Imagine what Steph Curry would have done tonight. Maybe Donovan Mitchell will think twice before faking an injury and missing Game 2. :smug:

In all seriousness, live by the three, die by the three. The Jazz were always going to have a night like this simply by law of averages. 25.5% is not the norm for this team. You figure the Jazz go even 30%, they win this game. Losing any playoff game is not ideal. No need to panic or get upset. They’ll be fine.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2713 on: May 24, 2021, 12:46:02 AM »
Memphis was impressive tonight, but I think the Jazz still take the series.  Still could shape up to be better than people were willing to give it credit for.  When the Warriors lost, I saw people suggesting the series be on TruTV or another "off" network.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: May 24, 2021, 01:01:04 AM »
When the Warriors lost, I saw people suggesting the series be on TruTV or another "off" network.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2715 on: May 24, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »
Well Jordan Clarkson former Laker current Jazz player got the 6th man award this season. He has been a major part of the Jazz this season and as a former Laker I am proud.   Now if Randle can get the Most Improved Player award I will be very happy.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: May 25, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »
Donovan Mitchell is miraculously healed and will play tonight. Team training staff often have to save the players from themselves. Of course, they want to play because they do this for a living. There can be dire consequences when you let a player dictate their return (e.g. Kevin Durant in the 2019 Finals). That may or may not have been the case here. The Jazz just signed this guy to a five year extension last off-season that hasn’t kicked in yet, and they clearly thought they could steal one while sitting their star for another game. I mean, they almost did.

Mitchell’s relationship with the Jazz has apparently been damaged. Per ESPN’s Brian Windhorst:
I will tell you this: Donovan's relationship with the organization was damaged this week. Is it damaged to the point where it can't be repaired? I'm not saying that. Is it something that they'll get past and he'll just move on and it will just be a blip on the radar screen? Maybe. Maybe they're in The Finals in two months and who cares? Maybe they win the next four games and it's totally forgotten. But right now, Donovan is hurting. He's really hurting the way this happened.

This can only mean one thing:

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: May 25, 2021, 07:20:31 PM »
Donovan Mitchell is miraculously healed and will play tonight. Team training staff often have to save the players from themselves. Of course, they want to play because they do this for a living. There can be dire consequences when you let a player dictate their return (e.g. Kevin Durant in the 2019 Finals). That may or may not have been the case here. The Jazz just signed this guy to a five year extension last off-season that hasn’t kicked in yet, and they clearly thought they could steal one while sitting their star for another game. I mean, they almost did.

Mitchell’s relationship with the Jazz has apparently been damaged. Per ESPN’s Brian Windhorst:
I will tell you this: Donovan's relationship with the organization was damaged this week. Is it damaged to the point where it can't be repaired? I'm not saying that. Is it something that they'll get past and he'll just move on and it will just be a blip on the radar screen? Maybe. Maybe they're in The Finals in two months and who cares? Maybe they win the next four games and it's totally forgotten. But right now, Donovan is hurting. He's really hurting the way this happened.

This can only mean one thing:

Editor's note: The Jazz don't play again until tomorrow night.

Yeah, I've been hearing about this all day today, that apparently Donovan thought he was ready to play and that he was GOING to play Game 1, but the medical staff shut him down. I'm conflicted on that, as Jazz Legend Karl Malone ended his career on an injury (with the Lakers) due to him not properly taking care of himself. The Jazz need him, but if the medical staff doesn't think he's ready to play...well, I just don't want to see him come back to just lose him again in the 2nd or 3rd rounds to more serious injury.

On a side note, I'd like to plug an NBA Podcast I've taken a liking to in recent weeks: "The Monty Show". It IS a Jazz-Centric podcast, but they talk about the rest of the NBA, too. I've found it quite enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzjY2356Ws
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:22:29 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 25, 2021, 07:57:28 PM »
Let’s just get this out of the way: The Jazz can absolutely win the series without Donovan Mitchell. That isn’t even a hot take. It took an uncharacteristically bad shooting night from the three point line for the Jazz to only lose by three points. I can’t see that happening four times.

The Jazz are rightfully concerned about losing Mitchell next year which would be a disaster not just for the Jazz but the league. You don’t want to lose one of the most promising young stars for an entire season. My hope is Kevin Durant’s ruptured achilles scares teams away from allowing a player to return early ever again. I started watching basketball in the 90s when players played through all manner of injuries. Kobe famously played through a broken ligament in his shooting hand. I get it; ball is life. Pick your battles though. Any significant injury to the lower extremities or even back is gonna be a no for me, dawg.

EDIT: That podcast is an hour and 46 minutes?! Are there like 45 minutes of ads? Do they perform the H.M.S. Pinafore right in the middle there? I normally don’t listen to Lakers’ podcast over an hour. I’ll start it; no promises on listening to the whole thing. I don’t commute to work right now which was my prime podcast time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:06:49 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 25, 2021, 09:30:13 PM »
EDIT: That podcast is an hour and 46 minutes?! Are there like 45 minutes of ads? Do they perform the H.M.S. Pinafore right in the middle there? I normally don’t listen to Lakers’ podcast over an hour. I’ll start it; no promises on listening to the whole thing. I don’t commute to work right now which was my prime podcast time.

*cough*(used to actually do a 3 hour gaming podcast)*cough*  ;)

Eh, I listen to it live at work while doing the daily grind, so I never really notice the length. There is a lot of filler talk, though, in the last 1/3 of any given episode. It's rare to find an NBA show that talks about the Jazz for more than 5 minutes, so the deep dive discussions on the team appeal to me. Naturally, with the Playoffs going on, they also talk about the other games going on that particular day, so just enjoy whatever appeals to you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:32:20 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: May 26, 2021, 12:45:51 AM »
The Lakers decided to play basketball again in the last few minutes to snag the win after pooping away a 15 point lead. The important thing is they took home court advantage. LeBron managed to hit another LeFuckYou3. MV-Payne showed up for the Suns.

For the love of all that is good, please don’t make me listen to Mark Jackson or Reggie Miller again in this series.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: May 26, 2021, 12:57:57 AM »
The Lakers decided to play basketball again in the last few minutes to snag the win after pooping away a 15 point lead. The important thing is they took home court advantage. LeBron managed to hit another LeFuckYou3. MV-Payne showed up for the Suns.

For the love of all that is good, please don’t make me listen to Mark Jackson or Reggie Miller again in this series.

I can't stand Kevin Harlan, myself. He never modulates his commentary. It's always RIGHT UP HERE...5 SECONDS AFTER THE THING HE'S COMMENTING ON ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: May 26, 2021, 01:20:34 AM »
I can deal with Kevin Harlan. I’m usually too distracted by whoever TNT paired with him. Nationally, Mike Breen and Doris Burke are pretty good. Most former players are not good color commentators which is baffling because they spent years playing the game at a professional level. Tell me about the defensive set or something. Why is their commentary so shallow and obvious?

Anyway, Mavericks are up 2-0. I only got to watch the last five minutes or so because I was obviously watching a different game. I switched over, and the Mavericks immediately gave up an 8-0 run. LAFFO. What’s the over/under on Kawhi Leonard joining the Heat or Knicks in free agency if the Clippers drop this series?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: May 26, 2021, 01:32:28 AM »
I can deal with Kevin Harlan. I’m usually too distracted by whoever TNT paired with him. Nationally, Mike Breen and Doris Burke are pretty good. Most former players are not good color commentators which is baffling because they spent years playing the game at a professional level. Tell me about the defensive set or something. Why is their commentary so shallow and obvious?

I worked the better part of 2 years in Sports video games. It's both praise to the game experience & damning to the live experience that the Commentary sounds exactly as cut & paste and phoned-in across both experiences.

Anyway, Mavericks are up 2-0. I only got to watch the last five minutes or so because I was obviously watching a different game. I switched over, and the Mavericks immediately gave up an 8-0 run. LAFFO. What’s the over/under on Kawhi Leonard joining the Heat or Knicks in free agency if the Clippers drop this series?

The Clippers Organization in a nutshell:

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2724 on: May 26, 2021, 01:04:53 PM »

I worked the better part of 2 years in Sports video games. It's both praise to the game experience & damning to the live experience that the Commentary sounds exactly as cut & paste and phoned-in across both experiences.

I think the problem is players aren't really trained to talk, and it's not a skill they develop while playing the game.  Obviously, they all understand the game to depth that most people don't, but being able to articulate that into meaningful commentary is just not what they're good at.  And I'll say this about most athletes' who move into commentary.  There's notable exceptions, sure, but I think the norm is most of those guys can't really do the desk job.