Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674510 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto
« Reply #2601 on: April 12, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »
Per Shams Charania, Golden State Warriors rookie James Wiseman has suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee, sources tell @TheAthletic

Cursed season is cursed.

3 Championships in 5 straight years of Finals.... Monkey's Paw wish has it's price.... The Injury Bug strikes again.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: April 12, 2021, 10:57:57 PM »
Speaking of injury curses, it seems that's finally caught up with us, as we're on our way to getting blown out by the Wizards...again...in Utah...largely due to missing both Mike Conley & Jordan Clarkson to injuries or injury "management" (in the case of Conley). *sigh*
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: April 13, 2021, 12:16:07 AM »
Besides the injuries, y’all faced Russell Bestbrook tonight. Triple double on over 50% shooting because he didn’t keep jacking up ill-advised three pointers. I wouldn’t be too concerned. Seems more the exception than the rule.

In other news, Wardell Curry is now the Warriors all-time leading scorer after overtaking Wilt Chamberlain. It took Curry over 300 more games to reach 17,783 points which sounds false, right? Chamberlain averaged 41 points to hit that mark.

Curry is also having a ****-you-y’all-aren’t-robbing-me-of-my-glory-tonight kind of game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2604 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:29 AM »
Speaking of injuries it looks like Jamal Murray got injured on a no contact layup attempt. It looked like his knee buckled.  It was at the end of the game and the Warriors were up by 7 or 8 with 50 seconds left.   That was Denver's 6th game since last Sunday.   The schedule on all these back to backs are ridiculous.   

I honestly believe the schedule is to blame for all these injuries.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: April 15, 2021, 12:11:16 PM »
Brooklyn Nets center LaMarcus Aldridge abruptly retires due to health scare

Hope Aldridge is okay.

On a light note, Luka Dončić did this to the Grizzlies last night. Imagine losing a game that way. That’s almost as heartbreaking as Jeremy Lamb’s game winner a couple years ago (fumbled an inbounds pass then hit a Hail Mary from half-court).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: April 15, 2021, 09:47:53 PM »
Doncic with the 3pt floater. LOL

any prayers up to Aldridge to stay healthy.
Just glad he didn't risk it all for the possibility of a ring.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2607 on: April 16, 2021, 12:52:38 AM »
With LMA if the Nets happen to win the chip I am sure he will get a ring still.   But yes health first and have a happy retirement.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: April 16, 2021, 01:59:33 AM »
With LMA if the Nets happen to win the chip I am sure he will get a ring still.   But yes health first and have a happy retirement.

He may have retired a "Net", but he was literally on the team for what? a week? maybe 2?
Would he even accept a ring in that situation?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2609 on: April 16, 2021, 02:36:03 AM »

He may have retired a "Net", but he was literally on the team for what? a week? maybe 2?
Would he even accept a ring in that situation?
2 weeks. and I don't know if he would but Troy Daniels was a Nugget after being waived and being part of theLakers, Boogie got his and not even playing a minute and even Avery Bradley got one even though he wasn't in the bubble.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: April 16, 2021, 04:50:02 PM »
Per Woj: Utah All-Star G Donovan Mitchell is getting helped to the locker room with a lower leg injury in Salt Lake City.

He clarified that “Mitchell turned his right ankle in a pretty severe way.”

Someone check on broodwars.

Without knowing the severity of the injury, it sucks that this happened so late in the season. Comparatively, LeBron got a severe sprained ankle but it happened early enough that he’ll be able to get some run in the regular season to ramp up for the post season. If it’s a similar severe sprain, Mitchell will likely be back in the middle of the playoffs. He doesn’t get the benefit of ramping up. The Jazz are good enough that they shouldn’t drop too many games, but they’re still looking at possibly facing the Warriors, Mavericks, Blazers, Grizzlies, Lakers, or Nuggets in the first round depending on a variety of things. It was a tough road to begin with because the West is stacked. Potentially without Mitchell...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: April 16, 2021, 04:56:16 PM »
*sigh*

If this ends as badly as it sounds...And so ends yet another season where we were supposed to be championship contenders, all due to injury.

Maybe, just maybe this will finally convince this team to stop relying on last minute heroics from Mitchell to bail them out of sloppy games.

Guess we're going to see what Matt Thomas can do now.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:59:22 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: April 16, 2021, 05:09:17 PM »
I’m curious why there’s even a basketball game in the middle of the afternoon on a Friday. Is that normal in Utah?
Maybe, just maybe this will finally convince this team to stop relying on last minute heroics from Mitchell to bail them out of sloppy games.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: April 16, 2021, 06:24:00 PM »
I’m curious why there’s even a basketball game in the middle of the afternoon on a Friday. Is that normal in Utah?

I'm pretty sure this is a makeup game from earlier in the year, just like the Washington game we just played. It's not usual, so just chock that up to the arbitrary needs of this bizarre season.

Well, while we're waiting to find out just how thoroughly the Jazz are fucked, Dwyane Wade bought part ownership of the team. I'm really not sure how to feel about this considering the main reason Gail Miller sold her share of the team to the current (now-part owner) owner of the team was that he would guarantee that the Jazz would stay in Utah. With Wade as part of ownership, I'm not so sure how guaranteed that is. Of course, he could have just 1% ownership for all we know. It wasn't stated how big his purchase was.

https://www.slcdunk.com/latest-utah-jazz-news-recent/2021/4/16/22387752/dwyane-wade-has-purchased-ownership-stake-in-the-utah-jazz

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2614 on: April 16, 2021, 08:40:04 PM »
It sounds like Mitchell is getting a MRI tonight and I hope it isn't anything major broodwars.

This season really bites for injuries and covid protocols. 

LeBron and AD have been out for a bit of time, Jamal Murray is out for the rest of the season because of the schedule, Butler was out for a good porton of the season early on and all sort of covid protocols for the Celtics early on.

As for the upcoming series of games with the Jazz and Mavs for the Lakers is that all these Lakers are out with injuries or have recent injuries and could be out or they are playing through injuries.

LeBron, Anthony Davis, Jared Dudley are all out. AD might come back in one of the Jazz games not 100% sure.

Schroeder is dealing with an infection at the ball of his foot, Drummond reinjured his big toe which in his debut his big toe was entirely peeled off by Brook Lopez stepping on it and then happened again versus the Nets to reinjure it. Marc Gasol dislocated and fractured his non shooting pinkie diving for the ball versus the Celtics. Markieff Morris who has been a solid and steady contributor in the starting lineup has been out the past two games with  a left ankle sprain.  Not to mention my boy Kuz is playing on a left calf strain and Wes Mathews has right achles tendon tightness.  KCP dealing with back spasms as well.

Our remaining rotation is THT, Ben McLemore, Alex Caruso, Alfonzo McKennie, Montrezl Harrell, Devonte Cacok, Kostas Antetokkounpo are the only players not dealing with injuries. We can't even field a 8 man playable roster required by the NBA with our healthy players.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:45:23 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: April 16, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is a makeup game from earlier in the year, just like the Washington game we just played. It's not usual, so just chock that up to the arbitrary needs of this bizarre season.
Okay, that makes sense. The game was probably scheduled early because the Jazz play the Lakers pretty early tomorrow in Los Angeles. If they played a late game today then an early game tomorrow, their legs would be dead. Hey, maybe the Lakers will put up a decent fight tomorrow.

They won't. Almost everyone on the Lakers is banged up. The Jazz should win both games in Los Angeles even without Mitchell.

Well, while we're waiting to find out just how thoroughly the Jazz are fucked, Dwyane Wade bought part ownership of the team. I'm really not sure how to feel about this considering the main reason Gail Miller sold her share of the team to the current (now-part owner) owner of the team was that he would guarantee that the Jazz would stay in Utah. With Wade as part of ownership, I'm not so sure how guaranteed that is. Of course, he could have just 1% ownership for all we know. It wasn't stated how big his purchase was.
My understanding of Jazz owner, Ryan Smith, is that he eats, breathes, and sleeps Utah. Dude went to college at Brigham Young University and his business is based in Utah. He was a huge Jazz fan before he owned the team, and he practically begged Gail Miller to sell the team to him if she ever wanted to sell. That said, I doubt the Jazz are going anywhere.

Dwyane Wade gives Smith a respected basketball ally to help when pitching to free agents.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: April 16, 2021, 09:00:01 PM »
Ryan Smith is also in advanced talks to purchase Real Salt Lake, the MLS team in Salt Lake City. He seems all in on that market.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: April 17, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »
It seems we were very, very lucky this time with Donovan. He's only going to be out a few games, as the MRI found no structural damage. It's just a simple right ankle sprain.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1383415701394710529

On a side note, it looks like the Jazz chose well in picking up Ersan Ä°lyasova in free agency. He's doing an admirable job subbing in for Gobert today against the Lakers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:59:14 PM by broodwars »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2618 on: April 17, 2021, 09:32:14 PM »
Wow great game today for both teams.

I knew when we got Drummond and Kuz avalable for the game that we had a chance to win and we did in OT.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: April 18, 2021, 05:25:49 PM »
NBA fines San Antonio Spurs $25,000 for violating resting rules

This is silly on a few counts.
  • In a season where everyone and their mother is getting injured, maybe there should be some leeway when it comes to resting players.
  • DeRozan is on a contract year. If he gets a catastrophic injury, no way he gets the amount of money he’s looking to get paid, and this probably his last chance at a decent contract.
  • The Spurs still beat the Suns, the team with the second best record, by 26 points.
Letter of the law, fine. However, the league is also not consistent when applying this rule. I always disagreed with the resting rules. Lose a player for a game/a few games, or lose him for half a season/an entire season/even his career. Take your pick.

No team rests players because they want to lose games. They rest players because they want to win more games later.

In other news, Kevin Durant left the game against the Heat today in the first quarter with a thigh contusion.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: April 18, 2021, 05:32:31 PM »
and we had a Curry ankle scare yesterday, and then lost Juan Toscano to a concussion.

And if I remember right, it's only a fine because they did the resting on the road, right?
If they rested a star player w/o injury at home, there would've have been an issue.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: April 18, 2021, 06:18:52 PM »
NBA fines San Antonio Spurs $25,000 for violating resting rules

This is silly on a few counts.
  • In a season where everyone and their mother is getting injured, maybe there should be some leeway when it comes to resting players.
  • DeRozan is on a contract year. If he gets a catastrophic injury, no way he gets the amount of money he’s looking to get paid, and this probably his last chance at a decent contract.
  • The Spurs still beat the Suns, the team with the second best record, by 26 points.
Letter of the law, fine. However, the league is also not consistent when applying this rule. I always disagreed with the resting rules. Lose a player for a game/a few games, or lose him for half a season/an entire season/even his career. Take your pick.

No team rests players because they want to lose games. They rest players because they want to win more games later.

In other news, Kevin Durant left the game against the Heat today in the first quarter with a thigh contusion.

So...if the NBA wants to start fining teams for faking injuries to rest their players, how about fining the Nets for the stunts they've been pulling with Irving and Harden?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: April 18, 2021, 06:43:59 PM »
And if I remember right, it's only a fine because they did the resting on the road, right?
Yes, I believe so. I guess the thinking is that home fans only see opposing teams once or twice a year.
So...if the NBA wants to start fining teams for faking injuries to rest their players, how about fining the Nets for the stunts they've been pulling with Irving and Harden?
Is it faking injuries if teams are admitting it's rest/load management? Also, it's weird that you called out the Nets considering the Jazz literally load managed yesterday which absolutely cost them the game. And it was a road game so they absolutely should be fined per the rules.

It seems the league is stricter when resting involves multiple players on the road. I still don't agree with it because I'd rather see these guys play in consequential games, notably in the playoffs. I don't know what the difference is between load management and DNP-CP as far as availability. Seems like a really easy way to skirt around that rule. It might affect player stats, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: April 18, 2021, 09:53:41 PM »
Is it faking injuries if teams are admitting it's rest/load management? Also, it's weird that you called out the Nets considering the Jazz literally load managed yesterday which absolutely cost them the game. And it was a road game so they absolutely should be fined per the rules.

1. To answer your question, no. It isn't faking injuries if the teams admit it's resting/load management.

2. It's weird that you think calling me out on the Jazz using it is a gotcha. I don't remember ever saying I approved of players not showing up to do their jobs, and you and I have bickered about the use of load management for years. I've been very consistent about not liking it.

3. However, since you seem to want me to defend the Jazz using it lately, I will:

- Favors isn't faking an injury. He really does have a bad back as a result of an injury he suffered last year with the Pelicans that had him out most of the season. His back has never been the same since.

- Conley also isn't faking an injury. He injured his hamstring earlier this season just like he did last season. Management, as a result, is very wary about re-aggravating that hamstring again since he's already proven twice vulnerable to it.

- I'm not sure if Gobert is just a rest case or not, since it's unclear when he got his "right knee contusion" they cited for the Lakers game. From everything I've been able to gather, it sounds legit since Gobert has actually been remarkably consistent in playing this year.

4. Even with the Jazz using "injury recovery"/ "load management" this season, they've only used it for the occasional player a handful of times this season, and there's been a recent injury to back that up. That's nothing compared to the other teams in the league, in particular the Nets. I don't think the Clippers have even used it as much as the Nets have with Irving and Harden since acquiring them. I don't for a moment believe that Harden's actually injured, especially with the way he closed out his tenure in Houston.

5. Yes, fine everyone if that's the rule. If we're going to have a rule against load management, it should be applied equally to everyone. Otherwise, that just lends credence to conspiracy theories that the League plays favorites, which it absolutely does and always has.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:55:26 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: April 18, 2021, 11:12:12 PM »
1. To answer your question, no. It isn't faking injuries if the teams admit it's resting/load management.
Then maybe stop calling it faking injuries.
2. It's weird that you think calling me out on the Jazz using it is a gotcha. I don't remember ever saying I approved of players not showing up to do their jobs, and you and I have bickered about the use of load management for years. I've been very consistent about not liking it.
Not meant as a gotcha. Just checking if you're being consistent particularly because the Jazz just load managed yesterday. You have a habit of being selective over what you're mad about.

The bolded part is also a straw man. Players can't load manage if the team doesn't let them, and if players don't show up to work, they can be fined by the team. This is literally in the collective bargaining agreement. You really need to stop misrepresenting load management.
3. However, since you seem to want me to defend the Jazz using it lately, I will:

- Favors isn't faking an injury. He really does have a bad back as a result of an injury he suffered last year with the Pelicans that had him out most of the season. His back has never been the same since.

- Conley also isn't faking an injury. He injured his hamstring earlier this season just like he did last season. Management, as a result, is very wary about re-aggravating that hamstring again since he's already proven twice vulnerable to it.

- I'm not sure if Gobert is just a rest case or not, since it's unclear when he got his "right knee contusion" they cited for the Lakers game. From everything I've been able to gather, it sounds legit since Gobert has actually been remarkably consistent in playing this year.
"Faking injuries" are your words, not mine.

And I support Favors, Conley, and Gobert sitting out. They probably could have played on Saturday. I agree with the team keeping them out on the second night of a back-to-back, less than 24 hours after the previous game on the road particularly after Mitchell just got injured. Sports science has advanced a ton. Teams are trying to prevent further injury, and they should. The Jazz almost beat the Lakers with a skeleton crew. Some random regular season game is not the goal. If y'all lose Favors, Conley, and Gobert, it's curtains for championship contending.
4. Even with the Jazz using "injury recovery"/ "load management" this season, they've only used it for the occasional player a handful of times this season, and there's been a recent injury to back that up. That's nothing compared to the other teams in the league, in particular the Nets. I don't think the Clippers have even used it as much as the Nets have with Irving and Harden since acquiring them. I don't for a moment believe that Harden's actually injured, especially with the way he closed out his tenure in Houston.
Does it really matter if a team uses it a little or a lot? Your problem seems to be that teams are even using it at all.

As for Harden, I'm not going to claim he’s faking an injury, but it also doesn't matter. As previously mentioned, the point of load management is to prevent injury or further injury.
5. Yes, fine everyone if that's the rule. If we're going to have a rule against load management, it should be applied equally to everyone. Otherwise, that just lends credence to conspiracy theories that the League plays favorites, which it absolutely does and always has.
I agree, and that was what I was getting at. I don't like the rule, but if it's going to be one, let it be one.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:22:45 PM by Adrock »