Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674862 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I was watching the game and it was amazing that the Raptors held the Warriors to 21 points in the first quarter. Boogie came off the bench in the 2nd and 4th quarters and passed well in a few instances but wasn't able to get much going offensively. Really only Curry and Klay got going in the game even though Draymond got a triple double. 

I have to say that the team defense all game by the Raptors was so tough even at the end of the game. They did not let up.   I also have to say that the X-Factor for the Raptors was Danny Green and he played superbly.  Lowry did all the little things like taking charges, passing and rebounding.   Finally Gasol and Siakam helped out a load with scoring. Gasol actually had 14 points in the first half and was the leading scorer then.  Siakam just could not miss his shots. At one point he had 10 straight buckets.   
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
The only thing I have to say about tonight.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile

Nothing to see here folks, just keep on walking...

NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
With game 1 out the way, the line between well rested and too rested is hopefully washed away.

Siakim had an amazing game against us, but I think we did a better than decent job on containing Kawhi and not allowing him to get off at any point in the game. Overall, I feel like the Raptors showed up, and the Warriors weren't fully prepared for it.

The Warriors just didn't have any real production outside of Curry and Klay to get over the hump, and all the damn turnovers really kept preventing any momentum shifts. I doubt game 2 goes the same way, so it'll be interesting if Warriors get back to the intensity of play on both sides of the ball that they had in the previous series.

I also bet they start getting Durant in some warm up routines and start practicing him just before game 2, so he's available in game 3. With a Durant on the floor last night and Warriors win this one. just needed someone else to reliably score... or a group of other to collectively score, and we just didn't quite have it together last night.

It's all good though. It's just game 1. There's still plenty of basketball to play going forward.
on to the next one!!!!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Drake makes some of the absolute worst tattoo decisions I've ever seen.  He's also an incredibly weird fanboy.

Anyway, I was happy to see the Raptors win.  I worried that if they couldn't win game 1 they'd be at risk for a sweep.  Cousins still has a lot of rust, which I think was a big factor, since he was only able to rack up 8 minutes of play time, leaving a lot on the table for others.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Prior to his recent injury, has Cousins ever played well for Golden State?
The west coast games are usually too late for me, so I haven't seen him enough to judge fairly... but my very limited viewing suggested he never quite looked healthy and/or comfortable in the Warriors system at any point this season. If true, any expectation that he could come back in against a solid Raptors defensive squad and make a meaningful difference seems pretty bold.

Durant is a different matter... but even there, his effectiveness might be tied to how healthy his leg is.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Out of the 30 games he played, he averaged 16 points and 8 rebounds per game (if I'm reading this right).

Maybe not KD, but he certainly averages better than he played last night.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:25:43 PM by nickmitch »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I think the Warriors chances while KD is out relies on how much production they get out of everyone not named Klay and Steph.  I think that the Warriors made runs in game one but they only had the lead 5 times in the game and the last time they had the lead was in the middle of the second quarter. Only quarter they won was the 3rd quarter and that was 32 to 29.  I don't think they have much they can do defensively to stop all the options the Raptors have that can show up to help Leonard.  Saikam, Gasol, Lowry, VanFleet, Green ect.

As to Cousins I am not a super fan of the Warriors but the few times I saw Cousins play in the regular season he did help spread the floor and his passing is solid but he wasn't able to keep up with the pace in transition most of the time so with him out there the team becomes more about the half-court offense and what he can bring for the Warriors there.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
With Cousins, I think we have 3 types of offense we run

Curry at point and no Durant = Fast Motion Offense

Durant in game = Partial Motion / Iso Offense

Cousins in the game = Back to the basket post up / partial motion / Iso Offense

If Cousins had played more than 20 games with the team during the season, they may have figured out how to make the 3rd offense flow a little better. Cousins was still trying to find his place and how he can best contribute, and Curry and Durant were too busy feeding him in the post and encouraging him to shoot wide open 3's to just continue doing their own thing and let Cousins find his natural fit in the flow of the offense.

edit: Did anyone notice that Drake was also wearing a Curry Raptors jersey....?
Did Dell or Seth play for the Raptors?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:30:13 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Yes Drake wore an old school Raptors jersey and Dell Curry, Steph's dad did play for the Raptors in 3 seasons in the early 2000s in the Raptors 5th,6th and 7th season as a team.  He also is one of the few players who played for two expansion teams in the NBA. The Hornets in the late 80s throughout the 90s and then the Raptors in his last 3 seasons in the NBA.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I just find this guy entertaining. 

For BnM:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzf6Vu0hbQY
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
So it is looking like the Warriors are going to be without Durant for game 2 but Iggy will be playing so for the starting lineup you have Curry, Klay, Iggy, Green and Bell. Kerr said today that he liked Bell in for Center because of his speed so that is likely to be the case for game 2. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I was all excited for basketball tonight then I looked it up, and the game is tomorrow. Well, there go my Saturday night plans.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
So I'm torn... who is the game more important for tonight, and how important is it really?

A Toronto win puts them in the driver's seat if looking at historical percentages... but does that matter when your opponent is as talented and experienced as Golden State, and Durant might be returning before long? (Plus we saw last round just how easily a 2-0 lead can turn into a 2-4 loss.)

A Golden State win would put a ton of pressure on Toronto to take one while visiting the Bay, but they've won tough games on the road when necessary and I fully believe them to be capable of taking one in Oakland.

In both cases, it feels like a key game to win; in both cases it feels like the other team could still compete if they lose.  I have to imagine that Golden State comes out focused and really wants the win here. Should be exciting.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
It would be hilarious if Toronto did this year what the Warriors did in the 2nd year of this run.

Finish the Conference Final from behind, and then lose the NBA Finals the exact opposite way.

Remember when the Warriors came back from behind against OKC 1-3, and then lose to Cavs after being up 3-1.

Not hoping for nor expecting a Warrior loss tonight, but just thought that would be funny to see that happen again

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
As a Raptors fan, I would be sad if that happened... but that sort of symmetry would also be a cool oddity.

Cousins starting. Not really a surprise, as the last game really felt like a light warm-up more than anything.
I've never been a huge fan, but he could end up being a wrecking ball inside. I like the move for Golden State.

On the Raptors side, it's awesome that Anunoby is back in play - but it seems doubtful that he'll be able to come in as a difference maker after emergency surgery caused him to miss all of the playoff games so far. Seems like he's got a ton of potential, but it was a rough season for the guy. That's a real shame for the Raptors, as otherwise his defense could be really helpful this series.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Raptors up by 5 at the half. 59-54.   Warriors tightened up the defense a bit in the first quarter and Klay got going early.  Curry didn't really show up till near the end of the 2nd quarter.  Cousins have been solid but got in foul trouble. Iggy took a hard fall near the end of the 2nd quarter and Looney  got hurt as well. Looney is questionable to return but Iggy is back for the 2nd half.

The Raptors are doing very well with their defense and I hope they can contain them in the 3rd quarter.  Main reason the warriors are in it is because of all the free throws.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
That 3rd quarter... Raptors were scoreless for the first 5 mins. They recovered a bit but it is going to be tough. Warriors up by 8. 88-80  Very doable for the Raptors.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Looks like Klay got hurt and is going to the bench.  Heading to the locker room.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Sigh... So close!!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
No one wearing a Raptors uniform even considered a token attempt at closing out on Iguodala. He hesitated to shoot almost as if he was surprised he was so wide open for as long as he was.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Disclaimer: I was watching the game out of the corner of my eye while I was in a concert and the bar had the TV tuned in. Those last 5 minutes were hellish.

That was a disgusting display of defense by Toronto. Iggy went to the corner and no one followed him for the duration of that possession. Even as he was catching the ball and the opportunity to put a bad free throw shooter at the line presented itself, Toronto still didn't care to even look at him. Embarrassing.

EDIT: Looking at replays, WTF is Siakam doing? Toronto had a timeout why was he so desperate to run up the court?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:19:16 AM by Soren »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Ugh.  Nobody feels like a winner coming out of that game. Reffing was gross. That opening 5:40 stretch in the third quarter where Raptors didn't score a single point... woof!  And even though the Warriors won, they hardly looked like champions.

It'll be interesting to see if Toronto can counter-punch and even things up after the two games at Oracle. I mean, they pretty much need one of those games if they want any chance to win the series.  The pressure is on now.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Toronto should have won this game and if they lose the series this will go right up there as their biggest regret. Warriors are losing bodies faster than they can get them back. Boogie played well considering his recovery but he can still be a liability, while still being a net positive over Looney. But you still need Looney because **** Bogut. Klay is now banged up, Iggy is still banged up. Curry's confidence took a hit.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Kawhi's 100% free throw shooting is incredible, but then he "only" shot 40% from the field.  2 more made shots would've been all the difference, but it's hard to expect him to play much better than he already is.

Also, is it weird that Toronto only has like 3 people coming off the bench?