Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674392 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Thread: Congrats to the Warriors on winning the 2018-19 NBA Finals
« Reply #675 on: October 29, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
Rename this “The Warriors Thread.”

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 29, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »

Why not? Clearly, they already bought another championship.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 29, 2018, 11:43:48 PM »
Did he shave his beard?

nope.

Broke the NBA 3pt Record w/ 14 threes
and then then Kerr immediately removed all the starters from the building.

We had to watch the end of the bench struggle to make 3 threes to set another 3pt record (most by a team in a single game), and they failed to do that....
it could've easily been done, had Curry just got his 5, instead of diverting EVERYTHING to Klay when Klay was set to break the record before the 3rd was over.

Fun to watch though.

92-50 at the half
I think Klay was 8/10 from 3 at that point.

If the starters had finished the 3rd Qtr, it would've been three 40pt quarters in a row. NBA Team 3pt record broken, and the Bulls retired from professional basketball for the rest of the 2018/2019 season.

At one point in the game, the announcers stated that the Warriors had just as many 3ptrs made as the Bulls had field goals period.... it was an absolute blood bath.
DO NOT let the final score fool you, becuase it should have been much much worse.
The starters got pulled with around 4-5 minutes left in the 3rd I think. 40something point lead at that point.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:02:51 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 30, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »
Games to keep an eye on tonight (because who's got time to watch them all?)

Pistons v Celtic
Blake Griffin is in his best form at the start of this season. His last game wasn't that hot, but he's been on early MVP campaign for the first few games played.
Kyrie and Hayward are still getting it together, and Taytum is a rising start, but the C's are still a solid squad.
Should be a good game

I'd also say the 76ers v Raptors, but I fully expect Kawhi & Lowry to dismantle Simmons and Embiid.
It might be a good game, but I'm expecting a Raptor win here. 76ers haven't quite found that cohesiveness they had in the last run of last season. Meanwhile Kahwi playing like he has a point to prove.

No other games really seem noteworthy, unless you care to see Westbrick force another loss on the Thunder... not that PG13 is doing much to help turn it into a win either.
or Maybe watch Dame Dolla blaze a trail straight through Houston, assuming Harden is still out. If Harden is back, then this could be a game to tune into for a bit.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 30, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »

Why not? Clearly, they already bought another championship.

Haters gonna hate.

The most ELECTRIFYING team in Sports today, and you both seem a little salty about it. LOL

Revising my East standing....
Probably a little early for this. Need atleast 20/25 games to get a real feel for how the teams are playing, but it's not like this matters for anything.

1. Raptors
2. Bucks
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Pacers
6. Pistons
7. Heat ?
8. Hornets ?

Super early predictions here, and I'm not so sure on 7 & 8
I feel like the Top 6 in the East have a real good shot at playoff standings assuming their seasons don't see something tragic happen. Not sure on the order, but I feel those 6 will stay in play in some position come playoff time.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 30, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »
It was a joke though there’s a grain of truth to every joke. For an NBA thread, it’s largely about one team. I’ve joined in many Warriors discussions here and rooted for them each of the last four years. I even watched and commented on the video you shared of Curry going off a few days ago so your dig about being salty is more than a little dismissive. You’re better than that, man.

I’ll watch highlights of Klay Thompson breaking the three-point record, but the vast majority of the time, I have no interest in watching one team dismantle another. The Warriors were up by like 40 points. Blowouts are hella boring to me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 30, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
It was a joke though there’s a grain of truth to every joke. For an NBA thread, it’s largely about one team. I’ve joined in many Warriors discussions here and rooted for them each of the last four years. I even watched and commented on the video you shared of Curry going off a few days ago so your dig about being salty is more than a little dismissive. You’re better than that, man.

I’ll watch highlights of Klay Thompson breaking the three-point record, but the vast majority of the time, I have no interest in watching one team dismantle another. The Warriors were up by like 40 points. Blowouts are hella boring to me.

Yeah, same here. I've made no secret that I only really follow one team, and it doesn't help that for the last decade it's felt like all the talent in the league was consolidating into the same 3-4 teams, and those 3-4 teams win most of their games in blowouts. I just don't find that interesting.  So yes, seeing a team that was already stupidly overpowered get even more so during the off season doesn't make them any more interesting to watch from a non-Warriors fan standpoint.

The league would be better and healthier if teams like the current Warriors were not allowed to exist and the talent pool was more evenly spread throughout the league, at least when it comes to free agency. Why even bother having a season & playoffs if the winners have pretty much already been predetermined, barring injury?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 30, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
The Warriors built their team fair and square so I have no qualms there. The planets aligned to snag Kevin Durant in free agency. Think about all things that had to happen including but not limited to:

1. The league signs a major television deal.
2. The NBPA rejects cap smoothing meaning teams gained hella cap space summer 2016.
3. Draymond Green gets suspended in the Finals instead of the Western Conference Finals; Cavs win.
4. Kevin Durant shrugs at all the criticism of joining a 73-win team that knocked him out of the playoffs and takes a pay cut.

I don’t think DeMarcus Cousins moves the needle for this team. He’ll be injured for most of it. If anyone wants to be mad at any team for that signing, blame the Lakers because that’s where he wanted to go. Magic Johnson was like, “Nah, Michael Beasley 4ever. LOL!” No one wanted to sign Cousins coming off that injury so he had his agent call the Warriors.

Ultimately, I don’t care if the Warriors win. I just want competitive basketball.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:15:51 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 30, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »
 for the record,  i was just giving you two ****.  I know it was a half sarcastic remark.
Sarcasm is hard to pick up,  just assume it's always applies to my post... except when they don't ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 31, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »
Because we don't all have time to watch every game, there is only 1 game worth watching tonight.

Warriors vs Pelicans

AD has been a BEAST this season, but will he and the Pels be enough to stop of the Dubs from taking turns at repeatedly putting that little orange ball through the rim in fun and exciting ways?
Probably not, but who knows if the Dubs will have a classic COLD game. it will be a good game regardless.

another game to keep an eye on will be the Jazz v Timberwolves.
Apparently Jimmy Butler is sitting this one out (trying to force a trade? Rockets are apparently ready to bet their future on his 1yr contact for this season....), so who knows how it will play out. I'd put my money on the Jazz tho.

Butler denies it's for a forced trade, but instead rest....
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803795-jimmy-butler-rumors-sg-could-sit-out-for-extended-time-to-try-to-force-trade

[edit]

Happy Halloween from The Warriors
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:37:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 31, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
Derrick Rose dropped 50 points on the Jazz. What year is this?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 31, 2018, 11:54:31 PM »
Derrick Rose dropped 50 points on the Jazz. What year is this?

The Jazz, unfortunately, have a long & proud history of certain players inexplicably going off for career nights against them. I seem to remember Linus Kleiza going off for ridiculous nights on the Nuggets when they played the Jazz.

Edit: Ah, Donovan Mitchell went out of the game in the 4th quarter with a Hamstring Injury. That explains a lot. -_-
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:00:22 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 01, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
I was shocked.... good thing I didn't bet.

D. Rose running MVP game in the year 2018
who saw that coming? I didn't watch the game, but saw the score updates....
D. Mitchell mst've went out early in the 4th, but D Rose was going off all game long.
kinda hurting that Butler argument "You can't win without me!!"
I know D. Rose can't do that on a nightly basis... but... what if he found his mojo on this squad?
I just watched the highlights and damn, dude was doing it last night. Career high 50 for the 2011 MVP. I know we won't likely see that kinda performance from him again, but I'm glad he had a good night.

In other NBA news....
The Lakers barely beat the Mavs - Lebron is struggling with this crew.
It's early in the season though. No reason to panic yet. but they do have the same record as The Nets. LOL

Somehow the Nets beat the Pistons. I guess Blake Griffin had another off night?
Every one of the starters for the Pistons were a minus... yet they only barely lost.

The Nuggets barely scrape by the Bulls in OT.

and Derozan seems to have found a new home on the Spurs. They slaughtered the Suns early on. But it looks like Booker was out again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 03, 2018, 10:29:18 PM »
Damn, the Lakers look TERRIBLE.

I wonder if Lebron sometimes wonders how things could've been had he gone to Philly instead....

It looks like that stern talk down from Jeannie to Magic to Luke to the players didn't have the effect that was expected....

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 03, 2018, 10:42:58 PM »
I’m currently watching Daredevil, not the game (DD just caught a baton in the air). I just checked the score, and the Lakers are down by one. If they look as bad as you say, what the hell are the Blazers doing?

Semi-related, according to Adrian Wojnarowski, Tyson Chandler is getting bought out by the Suns and will join the Lakers upon clearing waivers. Hey, I got one right. If Chandler can give the team 15 to 20 minutes and just rebound and play defense, it will help tremendously. He’s 36. No need to ask him for more than that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 04, 2018, 12:08:22 AM »
it was 1st quarter when I posted that. Since the, they've managed to look like they play together.
The 1st quarter was pretty horrendous as far as "team basketball" goes. They looked like they never play together, had no idea what the other person was gonna do, or had no actual play to run.

Things seemed to improve in the 2nd quarter. It's like they are still trying to figure out their lineups, and who should be subbed out and when.

2nd unit in the 3rd & 4th was killing it just now though.
Blazers seemed to fall apart offensively for a while and Lakers took advantage and built a nice sized lead. We'll see if they can close this out for their 1st win in Portland in quite a while.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 04, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »
Blazers seemed to fall apart offensively for a while and Lakers took advantage and built a nice sized lead. We'll see if they can close this out for their 1st win in Portland in quite a while.
The Lakers were up by 20 points before the Blazers cut it to six. They’re still having trouble closing out games.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:53:49 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 04, 2018, 12:45:16 AM »
The Lakers were up by 20 points before the Blazers cut it to six. They’re still having trouble closing out games.

They pulled it off. broke a 16 game vs Portland losing streak.
Barely held on to it. As soon as the starters came back in, Portland started erasing that 20pt lead quickly.
Brandon Ingram looked lost on defense every single time. He was a major reason the lead got erased so quickly.
but JAVALE MCGEE will be the Lakers MVP. LOL
Rondo was killing it for while too though, but I wanna give props to McGee!!!!
He had 6 blocks and currently leading the NBA in that area.
averaging probably close to 3.5 blocks per game. It's the YEAR OF MCGEE in LA.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 04, 2018, 12:57:58 AM »
I originally edited my previous post so I’ll just reply here:

A win is a win, but that was ugly as usual. Their gameplan is basically run and run some more. They’re kind of a mess out there. They can build these leads, but running isn’t sustainable if that’s all they do. Nine games into the season, they’re going to wear LeBron James out with this style of play. He’s turning 34. Magic Johnson better hope he signs Kevin Durant or Kawhi Leonard next summer because letting Julius Randle and Brook Lopez walk in free agency is a bad look right now. There would be much more cohesion with those two still on the team.

JaVale McGee is weirdly the best value contract in the league right now. The way he’s playing is pretty much why I’ve been saying the Warriors would have been better off with him than DeMarcus Cousins this year. Still, the Lakers are also running McGee I to the ground so it will be good to give Tyson Chandler some of those minutes.

Elsewhere, Victor Oladipo hit a game winner against the Celtics. I was wrong about that trade too. Pacers are looking good this year. Oladipo won the game, but the Celtics probably win the East. Alright, back to Daredevil.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:07:33 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 04, 2018, 01:41:58 AM »
Lebron putting Javale's name in the DPOY candidacy hat this year.

Draymond better step up his block game, if he's angling for that same award.
He got aspirations of a Super Maxx when his contract is up. DPOY makes that possible.

[edit] p.s. Dray is likely the runaway front runner so far this year. But it's early in the season.
We'll have to see if he can keep it up all year long.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:16:11 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 04, 2018, 04:05:20 PM »
2 potential good games today.

1st one started 20 minutes ago
Kings vs Bucks

Yes, I am promoting a Kings game. They may actually have a squad worth watching from time to time this year. D'Aaron Fox  has supposedly been holding his own in his rookie year. Not likely a contender this year, but possibly enough of an irritant to give Giannis and the Bucks a challenge 3 Qtrs.

[edit]this game got out of hand a little quickly..... thought the Kings would put a better fight early on.

The other game is the Raptors Lakers game. Not because I think the Lakers will win, but because they REALLY REALLY REALLY need to. Luke Walton barely held on to one last night, it will interesting to see how the Lakers fare against a superior squad led by Kawhi, with new found motivations to win or possibly get their coach fired... and a certain player or 3 traded for a "Jimmy Butler" as soon as it's possible.
Kawhi don't care about none of that though. I expect him to give the Lakers spotty defense and uncoordinated offense a whole lot of trouble.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:11:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 04, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
The Kings got worked. 33 point loss.

Talk of Luke Walton losing his job is overstated. Magic Johnson’s managerial style is apparently to yell a lot. Analysts like Stephen A. Smith like to point out Walton wasn’t Johnson’s hire. That ignores the fact that Walton was the best and most sought after coach when he took the job. He was the Lakers’ first marquee signing in years. More importantly, Jeanie Buss has his back. She’s always been big on the Lakers as a family, taking care of their own and all that. To me, that’s kind of eye roll worthy, but the important thing is she believes it. Walton was part of two championship Lakers teams and known for coaching the Warriors to 39-4, the best start in league history. Who would Johnson/Pelinka replace Walton with anyway? They want fast pace and ball movement. Who is available who is better than Walton right now?

EDIT: Lakers are by 20 in the first quarter to a team without its best player. Jebus...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:00:02 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 05, 2018, 04:43:04 AM »
Did Kawhi not even play?
It looks like Lebron did play though.... I wasn't able to watch the game, but saw the score in the 1st quarter an immediately lost interest.

That's just embarrassing. Lakers had 2 black eyes in the 1st quarter.
I mean I knew the Raps were a better squad, but Lebron can't let that kinda **** happen when Kawhi wasn't even on the court. It was a back to back, but regardless... just embarrassing.

[edit] some interesting info here:

The Lakers score more with Lebron on the bench

Warriors and Cavs on opposite ends of the spectrum here.

not sure if this is saying the exact same thing or not...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:04:00 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 05, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »
So many potentially good games to watch tonight.

Can the #4 Grizz D slow down the #1 Dubs O?
and I think we all know the reason the Warriors aren't rated higher defensively, is because the 2nd/3rd unit is playing a majority of quite a few of these 4th quarters.

Can the Raps put on an offensive assault on the Jazz like they did again the Lakers last night?
DPOY 2017 would like to think he can shut that nonsense down. D. Mitchell should also be ready to get some tonight too. They will have to face Kawhi tonight though, as he is expected to play.

Celtics Nuggets. Kyrie seems to have gotten his mojo back, and being one of the expected Top3 teams in the East, they are gonna want this win against a Top5 rated West team. (I never did do a Western Conference ranking....)

Pels v Thunder. AD has kinda been in a slump since coming back from the elbow injury, but no better time to flex than again Westbrook and the Thunder. WB aint ever taking it easy, and when AD is on, he is not an easy cover. I expect this to be a good battle.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 08, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
Derrick Rose dropped 31 points and hit a career high seven three-pointers. I still cringe to that fact that he apparently didn’t know what “consent” means. However, this is one of my low key most intriguing stories of the season. Everyone thought he was washed, but he’s been putting up some decent games. He’s never be MVP Rose again though he’s showing he has something left in the tank.