Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 20: Have Fun, Kids!  (Read 3531 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio Episode 20: Have Fun, Kids!
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »
Aslyums, Borderlands, Sharknadoes and Other Disasters

Download

As far as podcasts go, this is a short one - but one packed full of juicy content. New Business is inaugurated by Donald's jumping headlong into the Open World insanity of Saints Row The Third, a land where Havok physics are abused beyond recognition. Scared witless by this, he then retreats to the relative safety of 2013's most massive crossover, Project Cross (or X) Zone, a game that doesn't attempt to live up to Fire Emblem but will inevitably draw comparisons. Austen is buried under piles of editing and guns in Gearbox's Borderlands 2, a game that is almost worth getting sued over. Stephen wraps the segment with the g-d Batman in Batman: Arkham Aslyum before closing with some harsh words for former Retroactive winner Metroid II: Return of Samus.

After an actually informative Now Posted segment, Whatcha Watchin' is even more massive than before. Donald has former and current reality shows in WWE NXT and MasterChef, before bringing us the movie event of 2013... Sharknado. Austen has some caped crusader action of his own with the Beware the Batman premier, as well as one hell of an action packed double feature with White House Down and Guillermo del Toro's love letter to mecha anime, Pacific Rim. Stephen gets a little animated near the end as he and Austen tear into Despicable Me 2.

In the Feature Discussion, the Lightning Round boomerangs its way back into the conversation, with topics hitting all three console manufacturers and PC as well as general gaming trends. Subjects such as incompetent PR, zombies, and the effect of Playstation Plus beyond giving people lots of free games are put under the five-minute microscope. A melancholy set of Mushrooms brings the show to a close with reflections on the passing of Ryan Davis, as well as tanking in sports and bad computers.

Next show will mark one year since we started Nintendo Free Radio, and we couldn't do it without the knowledge that you're listening - so drop us an email, will ya? The address is nintendofreeradio@gmail.com, and here's something to chew on - what's your most anticipated game coming out before the end of the year and why?

This podcast was edited by Austen Parkin, Donald Theriault and Stephen Shook. All music contained within is used under Fair Use protection.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 20: Have Fun, Kids!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
email sent and now to get trashed in 21 8)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:49:41 AM »
del Toro didn't do Prisoner of Azkaban, Cuaron did. And PoA is the best movie simply because it's really the only one that is good on its own right.

And "Labyrinth of Pan" is amazing. Blade 2 is good. "Spine of the devil" -- also good. Hard to imagine how a person can't like at least one of these very different movies.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:25:40 AM »
del Toro didn't do Prisoner of Azkaban, Cuaron did.

Yeah, not exactly sure how you can confuse the two. And considering Google is just a search away, I'm not sure how someone can get that wrong.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »
del Toro didn't do Prisoner of Azkaban, Cuaron did.

Yeah, not exactly sure how you can confuse the two. And considering Google is just a search away, I'm not sure how someone can get that wrong.

Well, my mistake. I could have sworn Del Toro did that movie, so much so that I didn't look it up before the show to be sure. I thought I remembered his name attached to it when the movie released. Oh well. It's still a bad movie, and I still hadn't liked any movie Del Toro had done before Pacific Rim (yes, including Hellboy) so my point still stands.

Edit: Ah...no wonder I thought Del Toro was on that movie. I must have read something about it before the film came out. From Azkaban's Wikipedia entry:

Development With Prisoner of Azkaban, production of the Harry Potter films switched to an eighteen-month cycle, which producer David Heyman explained was "to give each [film] the time it required."[3] Chris Columbus, the director of the previous two films, decided not to return and helm the third instalment as he "hadn't seen [his] own kids for supper in the week for about two and a half years."[14] Even so, he remained on as a producer alongside Heyman.[15] Guillermo del Toro was approached to direct, but considered the film "so bright and happy and full of light, that [he] wasn't interested."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:35:42 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
I would disagree that POA is a bad movie. Is it the best Harry Potter? No, but its still good.

Del Toro did say he wanted to direct the last Harry Potter movie, but that never happened either.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
I like how del Toro didn't want POA because it was happy and full of light when POA is where the series got darker. I figured the Dementors would be perfect for him.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »
The first two movies were pretty light hearted, so maybe he assumed POA would have to be as well.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
PoA in the books was a good mix between the two forces in a Harry Potter.  Being a student and being a tragic hero.  Its the best book.  Worst movie by far.  Also the tipping point in the books where tragic Hero wins and its all Harry all the time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
Worst movie? Ehh, I would not agree. I really liked it, I didn't like Half-Blood Prince aside form certain moments in it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
PoA is a clip show of a movie and doesn't even remotely live up to the source book it comes from.  To be fair Half-Blood Prince isn't one of the better books either.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
POA is really needed though as it sets up so many things that happen later on, as well as give us more details into the past (like what exactly happened to Harry's parents). So even if it's not one of the better quality movies, it's still important in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
POA is really needed though as it sets up so many things that happen later on, as well as give us more details into the past (like what exactly happened to Harry's parents). So even if it's not one of the better quality movies, it's still important in the grand scheme of things.
Its is but out of all the books.  That is the one that needed 2 movies.  The ones they did with 2 movies not so much.