Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 19: History Will Be Made  (Read 3464 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio Episode 19: History Will Be Made
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »
Whether it's our longest show since the first one or actual Listener Mail, the apocalypse is nigh

Download

Radio Free Nintendo might've taken the weekend off, but that just means you can listen to NFR if your ears stopped ringing from the fireworks (North America only).

First off is New Business, and make no bones about it - this one is Xbone-sized. We've got: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, The Last of Us, Remember Me, Metroid Other M, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Thomas Was Alone, Runner 2, New Super Luigi U and KERSPLOOSH! It's so many games we had to forego the puns to keep the show post under a page!

After Now Posted makes you question your own sanity, Whatcha Watchin goes even farther down the rabbit hole with Stephen's menagerie of Continuum, Scooby Doo Mystery Inc., the Penny Arcade Strip Search (not what you're thinking)… and Equestria Girls (it might be what your thinking). Donald, a known fan of monsters, steps up to Monster and ponders its Del Toro-fueled fate, while Austen beams into Star Trek Into (or is it into? Wikipedia's not clear) Darkness and a whole mess of animated BluRays.

In a very special Double Feature, the crew is forced to confront what brought them together while pondering the listener question of "Why do you play Nintendo games"? After that, E3 is tackled one more time a few weeks out, as they look back at the Xbone's 180 and wonder if gamers have an advocate anymore. A fresh crop of Mushrooms ends the marathon with more Bethesda trouble (Donald's article is here: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2?abthid=51af79d92aabedda5500000c), Stephen's musical talent, and an ice cold NBA Draft.

Steps will be taken to ensure shorter shows - but if you'd like to combat those plans, why not drop us an email? Send it to nintendofreeradio@gmail.com - and until next time, watch out for that mutagen!

This podcast was edited by Austen Parkin, Donald Theriault and Stephen Shook. All music contained within is used under Fair Use protection.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 19: History Will Be Made
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:30:14 AM »
keep em long cuz it takes so long for them to get here :D

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:15 AM »
Weird how many people are discussing Kersploosh! and don't mention SpeedThru: Potzol's Puzzle (Ketzal's Corridors) because it's really similar and looks much more fleshed out, polished and fun.

I played it on original 3DS and i liked it enough. Just strange how noone even remembers it, but everyone are playing Kersploosh. It's the name, isn't it?

Yeah, JL season 1 is just awful. I watched it first of entire DCAU, gave up on episode 3 or something and that experience turned me off watching animated DC for a few months. Afterwards watching STAS, i just couldn't understand how they could go from the best show in DCAU to the worst. I took me many years to watch the rest of season 1.

Season 2 is a major improvement. And JLU is absolutely fantastic.

While i definitely enjoy how Nintendo always puts gameplay on top, it sometimes definitely feels like an apology for not having other elements up to the par with the industry.

Apart from "amusement parks" and "open world games" there is also another trend with making plot based emotion-based "experiences", like Walking Dead and Journey (?).

Even then we see Nintendo swaying from side to side like with Mario Galaxy game being a very much amusement park thing where you spend a significant time marveling at shiny stuff happening while listening to bombastic music and reading a sappy side-story. Or Kid Icarus Uprising, very plot heavy and characters based game.

Sorry that i can't provide you with my international opinion, because 1) i don't read russian gaming press cause you know if you think US gaming journalism was bad, you know nothing  2) noone cares about consoles there, it's all about PC pirated stuff 3) for what little market there is (very, very little), Sony is king simply because others don't care, it helps that they are as big and have huge global sale networks anyway, so they can get their stuff at retail even in CIS countries

Japanese developers "losing" thier source code to their game is absolutely amazing to me. It's unthinkable to me as a programmer. I am not an organised person at all, but even i have all of the source codes for all personal programs i did (as in excluding job stuff that i have no rights to), with some programs dating as back as school. I know people who use version control systems for everything they do, starting from bat/shell scripts, personal programs and even blog posts.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »
I thought Wakko's Wish was actually pretty good. Not great, but good and worth watching if you were an Animaniacs fan.

And while Justice League gets even better in season 2, it could not be more false that season 1 is terrible. Even season 1 is a really good season.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
I've come to realize I dislike the way new business is handled here compared to RFN, without the snide remarks of the other people on the show it becomes an endless and monotonous ramble about a game im usually not interested in picking up any time soon followed by a bit of q&a...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »
I've come to realize I dislike the way new business is handled here compared to RFN, without the snide remarks of the other people on the show it becomes an endless and monotonous ramble about a game im usually not interested in picking up any time soon followed by a bit of q&a...

Well, the trade-off we found in the other format is that it tended to multiply our show length by 2-3 times b/c folks (especially me) would get sidetracked and ramble about our particular games.  We'd end up with a segment that was not only considerably longer than we intended, but also didn't cover the aspects of the games we intended to cover.  Seriously, you did not want to hear my original live cut of my Deadly Premonition chat a few episodes back before I replaced it all with a written review that went on half as long and was 2-3 times better.  :(

Still, thanks for the feedback. We'll take it into consideration the next time we look at shaking up the format.  I do miss the spontaneity of the live New Business, but for now the current format is the best compromise solution we have.

And, incidentally, even when we did do the segment completely live, we didn't tend to go for the snide remarks anyway.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:50:07 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »
The podcasts are already a little too long (seriously, a SHORT podcast for you guys is still 2 hours), I would hate to see how it can be even longer.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »
i say if you really want to shorten the podcast just take out the whatcha watching segment and maybe put it into a separate podcast on the feed (call it tawkcross :D)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
I like the Whatcha Watching segment, more than most of the NFR segments actually.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
I still say it should be made into separate show on the feed.