Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 692182 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »
Total Extreme Wrestling 2013, by Greydog Software. I think only the nerdiest of wrestling fans have heard of it, but I can spend all day buidling my promotion and getting my guys over. Think the GM mode in the WWE games but far more extensive. Tough learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »
Bit Trip Runner 2: Rhythm something something funny subtitle:
Got the game on sale on eShop last night. Ended up playing for three hours after starting it... Great, addicting game.

Visual get somewhat busy for me though. Sometimes my vision gets confused as what obstacle exactly is coming up next and i mess up (or i just suck). Despite featuring simpler visuals, retro levels have even more of that -- you can easily miss a golden brick because it blends with a background (or it was the intention?).

Leaderboards amongst friends is a very cool feature -- even somewhat generic games can becomes very addicting simply because you want to trump your friends' records over and again. I had it with AiRace Speed and Zen Pinball and looking at yet another competition here...

Yoshidious aka Greg 'The Sweet Prince' Leahy seems to be the reigning king of Bit Trip Runner.
He's the King of Star Wars Pinball too. I hate that guy.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2014, 12:14:41 AM »
Befriend me, see my Zen Pinball 3D scores and weep ;p

Super Meat Boy:
Finishing up dark world and collecting bandages. I switched to using right trigger as run button because weird SMB physics often requires you to switch "run mode" on and off independently from jump button and that is hard to do when you're doing it with one finger. Now i can do it with run on pointer finger and jump on my thumb. Run mode even feels like it is analog controlled (?!) -- as i said weeeird platforming physics.

La Mulana:
Five bosses done. With 8 something hours on my save and there is no way i'm doing the rest in remaining 2 hours.

Did special effort to do "Run to Ruin" achievement which requires to do one puzzle in a hard way instead of much easier solution involving hidden passage through a wall. That requires mastering (again) weird platforming physics of La-Mulana -- you need to make effort to abuse double jump momentum and avoid falling off platforms because that takes way too much time and you need to loop around entire level filled with spikes and platforms in 16 seconds.

I did it because i remember doing it in WiiWare version (for the hell of it, because obviously it doesn't have braggable achievements) and boy it was SO much easier to do with Wiimote compared to 360 controller. While i generally use left stick, i was forced to use 360's abhorrent d-pad because as bad as it is, it's still a d-pad and thus will never mess up inputs and press "down" or "left" unless i really meant to do it, like 360's stick tends to do.

Bit Trip Runner (PC and Wii complete version):
Speaking of wiimote superiority.

I started playing first game on steam because i loved playing second on on Wii U. Within one day i beat first world and got to later levels of second one. Then for the heck of it, i checked out Wii version on Bit Trip Complete disc.

Maaan, within the hour i beat world 1 AND 2 and got to the half of world 3. It's not because i already memorized sequences -- it's simply because of controller (and/or maybe lag?).

Wiimote's mushy buttons are so much better for this than 360's clicky buttons, it's not even funny. It's much easier to mash them very fast (which you will do in Runner often) when there is basically zero effort to press buttons and they're basically "transparent", compared to 360's buttons which you need to put some however small force to "penetrate" to make them click and then they even have very small but noticeable cooldown time to "unpress".

It gets crucial when you need to press A button four times within half a second. I casually do perfect runs on Wii version while i struggled to even beat same levels with 360 controller on PC.

I can't even do it with a keyboard in Steam version -- because keyboard's space button is even more clicky and has even bigger travel distance to press and unpress.

SpaceChem (Steam demo):
I always wanted to get into it but it just looked so intimidating. Yesterday i watched this video and it explained mechanics of the game enough for me to start it.

It feels like... work. Not because it's tedious or boring but because that exactly what i do for work. I am programmer and i get paid to solve problems exactly like that. I still enjoy SpaceChem, a lot, just as much i do enjoy devising good algorithmic solutions and implement them in my project AND get paid for it. So it feels weird to do this for fun and spend brain cells that you otherwise save for work. I might never actually buy full game because of this...

It doesn't feel like that with other puzzle game, because Spacechem is probably as close to programming as game gets -- it's basically post machine and it's complete meaning that you can compute anything with it if you put enough effort.

Interface is weird and needs a bit more polish but workable. Game is borked at the moment but there's a workaround.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
Befriend me, see my Zen Pinball 3D scores and weep ;p
I shall do just that! I am always up for some more self-loathing.
Or you can send me a req: Sensei-K
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »

SpaceChem (Steam demo):
I always wanted to get into it but it just looked so intimidating. Yesterday i watched this video and it explained mechanics of the game enough for me to start it.

It feels like... work. Not because it's tedious or boring but because that exactly what i do for work. I am programmer and i get paid to solve problems exactly like that. I still enjoy SpaceChem, a lot, just as much i do enjoy devising good algorithmic solutions and implement them in my project AND get paid for it. So it feels weird to do this for fun and spend brain cells that you otherwise save for work. I might never actually buy full game because of this...

It doesn't feel like that with other puzzle game, because Spacechem is probably as close to programming as game gets -- it's basically post machine and it's complete meaning that you can compute anything with it if you put enough effort.

Interface is weird and needs a bit more polish but workable. Game is borked at the moment but there's a workaround.

You ever hear of this? http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/01/robot_odyssey_the_hardest_computer_game_of_all_time.html

Games:

Tomb Raider

I'm liking this game a lot more than I expected. Tons of stuff to scrounge around for, puzzle caves, constant XP boosts. It feels like a non-sleazy way to juice the players brain for reward dopamine constantly, without resorting to Assassin's Creed style gamification. Shooting gameplay is kind of lame, but unfortunately par for the course these days.

Metro: Last Light

I had the impression that this was sort of a more approachable take on Fallout, but so far it's an extremely linear shooter of the older school variety. You can take a ton of damage, which makes things flexible, so that's kind of refreshing in the context of today's military shooters and cover shooters. Looks really nice on my PC. Not lighting my world on fire, but I'll most likely finish it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2014, 10:43:06 PM »
I played Outlast on PS4 for a good 10 minutes before I realized I can't play the game for the same reason I can't bring myself to watch horror movies anymore: I don't like being startled/scared.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2014, 01:03:05 AM »
You ever hear of this? http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/01/robot_odyssey_the_hardest_computer_game_of_all_time.html
No (born and raised in Soviet Union, remember?), but it looks interesting enough. Though it seems there is no modern port of it to any platform. There was some guy who said he's done homebrew DS port of it but he's gone silent since 2009,

I played Outlast on PS4 for a good 10 minutes before I realized I can't play the game for the same reason I can't bring myself to watch horror movies anymore: I don't like being startled/scared.
Same: i have no idea why i bought Fatal Frame 2 on Wii -- because i don't see myself playing it in any near future because of this.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 08, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »
Throwing in the towel on Project X Zone.  I'm not even at the halfway point yet (but I'm at 20 playing hours) and the game is tiresome at best.  To many characters, little backstory, and there's really no strategy needed. 

Instead I'm finally getting around to playing Mario and Luigi Dream Team. 

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2014, 11:27:33 PM »
Total Extreme Wrestling 2013, by Greydog Software. I think only the nerdiest of wrestling fans have heard of it, but I can spend all day buidling my promotion and getting my guys over. Think the GM mode in the WWE games but far more extensive. Tough learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun.

I played the free version (2005?) and it was alright. It's insanely niche but it scratches an itch. I'm downloading WWE 2k14 just so I can get my hands on the Universe mode, while at the same time being able to hop in a play a match or two.

Knytt Underground
This game is consuming me at the moment. Chapter 3 is such a massive map. I've clocked in approx. 10 hours and I still have only 60% of the map uncovered and I've only rung two of the six bells. But I haven't felt cheated by the game in any way. Partly because I'm still discovering new rooms every time I fire up the game. And the puzzles and challenges keep coming in such a way that make the game easy to digest in quick hourly bursts.

Lego City Underground
Very funny and entertaining game. I'm currently sticking to the story, but with what I'm seeing of the open world so far, I could very well spend tons of hours finding everything. It's just a question of if I want to.

F1 2012
Loved playing the Dirt series on Xbox. Codemasters works wonders with these niche simulation games. Since I'm already an F1 fan this game is right up my alley. It's perfect once it clicks, but it does have a steep learning curve, even with some assists turned on.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2014, 12:15:08 AM »
Wolf Among Us (first free episode on Xbox360):
Abysmal performance: jittery animation, eye piercing framerate, loading screens that take about the same time as scenes they load in.

Absolutely mindblowing to see these hacks getting critical recognition while they keep producing broken products game after game after game.

Art style is very cool though, and 80s theme that somehow became all the rage recently is appreciated. But it's a shame seeing it wasted on such a dreck.

Rayman Legends (Xbox360):
Beat Luchador boss -- it begins exactly like one of the bosses in Super Meat Boy and but later part is different. Noticed some slowdown when lots of fireball appeared at once -- now i want to check out how the same part perform on Wii U.

Played Mariachi Madness which is amazing like all musical levels. I can't say that musical levels is the best thing in this game because there is only one level per world in this game and five levels is less than 1 percent of the entire package, but they're nice distraction.

Wonderful 101:

After 130+ hours, i'm at the last stretch. Only have the last grand finale operation and epilogue left on hardest difficulty.

Unlocked Rodin -- he's amazing and probably the most useful of all secret characters so far. Lots of damage AND combo points: been getting platinums without even trying with him.

Metroid (3DS VC):
Restarted it. This time with a printed map by me -- because aint nobody got no time to deal with no in-game map. Got batteries, rockets and L thing (whatever it does) by memory and used map to get freeze ray.

Had a few friends coming over this saturday: played some SplitSecond then

Super Mario 3D World:
Weirdly, Plessie level that is usually kinda boring to play by yourself becomes very fun in multi. We all had to coordinate to decide which way to go and often went laughing like "where are you going, man?".

Also later, i showed them Beep Block Skyway. As great to play it by yourself it becomes exponentially more fun to play with three people with each one having a crowd of clones.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »
Maverick Bird (free web game):
Great music. Cavanagh is master of making you trip through the game with his signature psychedelic visuals and sound effects. The feeling when you literally pierce your previous score with a sound effect and music and colours change really messes you up in a good way. My highest score is 23.

Jelly no Puzzle (pc freeware, also has HTML5 web version):
I was stuck on level 19 for a few months now, trying and failing to solve it on my lunch breaks. FINALLY, was able to break it yesterday and immediately solved a dozen levels after that. A few of them were very easy. Got to level 34.
Generally to solve the level in this game you need to find the only possible final configuration that jellies have to be in and then go backwards from that to figure out a way for you to position them in that configuration.
Also remember that puzzles in this game are designed in "rigid" way like a diamond -- can't add anything and can't remove anything without ruining it. Every single thing is important and often the parts of the level that you don't understand why they're even here turn out to be the key to solution.
By the way i checked if HTML5 version works on Wii U or even 3DS. For some reason it almost works on 3DS (you can click on blocks moving them left, but there's no way to simulate right click to move blocks to the right) but doesn't work at all on Wii U.

The Swapper: (Steam)
Controller support that they added is rather clunky.  Feels almost like playing the game with XPadder profile. Still it's workable and i appreciate they added it.
As to gameplay itself. Puzzles in this game are nothing like puzzles in Jelly no Puzzles. They are extemely "loose", meaning one can solve them all without knowing any rules and just by messing around.

In fact that's exactly how i am playing the game. I still don't know and don't care to know what each coloured rays of light do exactly -- what for if i solved every single puzzle in the game without this knowledge just by messing around mindlessly?

Still, the atmosphere and sci-fi theme are very cool.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe (3DS VC game, free game for registering NNID):
It's SMB, alright. Ridicilously small screen of GBC definitely gets in a way. And the worst part isn't even that you can't see too much ahead but that you sometimes can't see what's on top of you and what's right below. You can stop and press up or down to scroll screen vertically, but that's not always possible.
I'm mostly playing it to replay Lost Levels that are supposedly included in this version.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »
As of two weeks ago, I started back playing Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. My curiosity piqued a couple of fortnights ago with the imminent Patch 2.1, A Realm Awoken, and now I've jumped head first into all of the new content. And wow, are there tons of it. New Hard Mode dungeons based on previous low level areas, Copperbell Mines and Haukke Manor, the Crystal Tower raid dungeon (incredible, really), and the new Duty Finder Roulette - which allows for obtaining the highly sought after tomestones of mythology and philosophy...a currency used to purchased higher level and better overall gear. New questlines have been created extending the original 2.0 release's story, too. Oh, and there's the new Lion's Den PVP area which I haven't even participated in yet.

So much new content. Seriously, join me on Hyperion! We'll have a blast.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
Recently I've been playing these games:

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3) - I find it funny how I used to rent games at Blockbuster for exorbitant cost and now I can just check out games from the library, have them hold titles under my name, ask for specific games if they don't possess them yet, etc.

Anyway, about the game, it's nice to see the series go back to its roots after two admitted failures of the franchise. It's a short game, maybe five hours, but there's the series mainstay challenge mode to add more time to the game.

Shinobi (3DS) - I don't care for particular parts of the game (tilting the 3DS to dodge rocks down a water slide), and levels are too long, meaning if you die, you basically have to redo 10-50 minutes of gameplay. At least, that's how it is in every mode besides Beginner. That mode offers unlimited lives. The action is awesome, I feel like a badass beating down foes, parrying, wall jumping, etc. Wasn't a bad buy at $15, even though I know it is available for much cheaper elsewhere.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) - Loving my town. It looks so awesome. There's something truly cool about putting a lot of effort in something and over time it becoming something really remarkable. It's a good feeling.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GCN) - Playing this game solo, as the requirement for multiplayer is way too much money. Still, I love this dungeon crawler with hack and slash gameplay. The soundtrack is one of my absolute favorites. So earthen and rustic. The game's visuals still look pretty impressive to this day.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »
Darksiders II (WiiU)

What a strange platypus of a game this is. Sort of Zelda, sort of Lords of Shadow, but with a gun mechanic and a loot-based RPG system and a Prince of Persia traversal backbone. Here I was expecting a relatively straight Zelda clone.

I'm about halfway through and I'm having an assortment of issues with it. The combat is mostly a pain in the ass, and the gauntlet rooms drive me nuts. You can't shield, only dodge, and it's hard to keep track of the damage you take as there's little feedback. I find myself dying unnecessarily after getting picked at by crowds and not realizing my health is plummeting until it's too late.

The style of the game is kind of terrible, like it was based on prog rock album covers. It's saved somewhat by Death's entertainingly campy delivery. Big chunks of the game world are kind of bleak and uninviting, though, which makes the game less appealing to pick back up after a gap. And there's not much to do outside of dungeons, so it's just kind of one to next to the next.

Overall the controls feel a bit laggy, the reticule is slow and clumsy, and Death runs too slow, which can cause impatience in the sprawled out dungeons. There's also an absurd amount of crap loaded onto the controls, and it's kind of impossible to fight fluidly while using different abilities because you have to think about which of five or six combinations of shoulder buttons to hold down.

Outside of weapons the gear system feels kind of pointless, as Death never seems to get appreciably stronger as I go along. The skill tree is also a bit of a whiff, I almost never use those abilities.

On the whole, though, I'm enjoying it, because it's core is basically Zelda-dungeons with Prince of Persia sprinkled on top, and the level design is quite well done. In a world where games like this were still being made regularly, I'd probably not like it nearly as much, but this is probably about it until Zelda WiiU. I'd say the whole is substantially better here than the sum of the parts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »
Titanfall (beta) - XBox One

Technically I'm just downloading it right now, I'll probably put up a Twitch stream tomorrow night.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »
Good luck getting into a game. Server failure is pretty common right now. More like Titanfail amirite?

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2014, 03:25:10 AM »
Don't worry, this is EA we're talking about here.  I'm sure everything will be running fine by the time the game launches...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
I'm playing Danganronpa on the Vita. If you love Virtue's Last Reward and Phoenix Wright, go buy this game. It takes the best aspects of both and blends them together in a very delightful mix. There's even a bit of Persona in there with the way you can spend time with characters to gain skills & stats for use in the courtroom sequences. Hell, its court battles blow the **** out of Phoenix Wright's increasingly stale version.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
I watched the first few episodes of the anime, but it didn't really catch my attention.  If I didn't find the anime all that exciting, is the game any different?

Also, *facepalm* at the Titanfall beta.  I signed up for the PC beta, and I've now received TWO Xbox One beta keys, this latest one coming after the announcement that the beta will be open to all on the Xbox One.  On the bright side, apparently they are planning on opening the beta up on PC, too, leaving some seriously salty people who paid for beta codes.

I've heard that Titanfall succeeds at making noobs feel better about their crappy skills, which is great since I'm a noob.  I was playing BF4 and got my ass reamed by some 12 year old for hurting the team, despite having a score in the top-10 on a large conquest map.  I kind of remembered why I stopped playing online for over 10 years.

I played a bit more of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger today.  I really like this game in bits and pieces, but the formula wears thin after 30-45 mins.  Then it gets put back into the backlog until I feel like playing it again.  The game manages to recreate the feel of some of those old lightgun games, which is really damned awesome.  I think the game sometimes pulls you away from the experience a little too often with the narration of the storyline.  Sometimes, with a game like this, you really just want to get in and blast away.

And after a bunch of time with Assetto Corsa and Gran Turismo 6, I tried to put a bit of time into F1 2013.  Boy, Codemasters's force feedback and wheel simulation is terrible after playing the two aforementionned games.  I tried forever to dial in a setting that I would feel comfortable driving with, but I could never get it right.  The feedback feels incredibly delayed at times, and sometimes disappears altogether.  It took me a while to realize that I'd need to go into my wheel's settings and change the degrees of rotation manually, which helped immensely.  After spending a while with a bunch of different racing games, from Gran Turismo to rFactor, I can really understand the disdain for Codemasters latest games from the hardcore sim community.  The games are great fun for the uninitiated, but once you expand your horizons, it seems impossible to go back.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
I watched the first few episodes of the anime, but it didn't really catch my attention.  If I didn't find the anime all that exciting, is the game any different?

I haven't seen the show, so I couldn't tell you.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33:58 AM »
Also, *facepalm* at the Titanfall beta.  I signed up for the PC beta, and I've now received TWO Xbox One beta keys
You should sell those, make some money.

I've heard that Titanfall succeeds at making noobs feel better about their crappy skills, which is great since I'm a noob.
Well the first weapon in the game is a smart gun, which has a reticule taking half of a screen and it auto-aims to everyone who gets inside it. It makes sense because this is a game made to be played with incredibly crappy dual analog control scheme on consoles.

This reminds me of how i loved TF2 because of how less demanding on your aiming skill it was. There were maybe two classes where your mouse twitch reaction made a big difference.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
Also, *facepalm* at the Titanfall beta.  I signed up for the PC beta, and I've now received TWO Xbox One beta keys
You should sell those, make some money.

It'd be worthless. They opened the beta for everyone on Xbone.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) is pretty much spectacular. Granted I have a thing for old-school dungeon crawlers... but they did a great job polishing the game and giving some narrative to make it easier to start playing with a "standard" party.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 16, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »

Well the first weapon in the game is a smart gun, which has a reticule taking half of a screen and it auto-aims to everyone who gets inside it. It makes sense because this is a game made to be played with incredibly crappy dual analog control scheme on consoles.

Your console hate literally makes no sense when the same gun is present on the PC version. PC master race fail

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
On a side note, the game really isn't that fun. Granted I only just played the tutorial and one multiplayer match (which I got into instantly), but I don't see this being a $60 game, especially with no single player mode. $40 would be more like it. I guess it's kind of cool that they added a double jump and wall running, but you look absolutely retarded running (while you can't aim), but wall running and jumping has your gun right in front of you. Again, I only played one match, went 5 and 10 on minion kills and had one titan kill...but I turned it right off after that match.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA