Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 15: I Haff Tvelve Zerg Rushes...  (Read 6862 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio Episode 15: I Haff Tvelve Zerg Rushes...
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
New format for New Business on a bunch of new games

Download

Hot off the internet presses comes the 15th round of hilarity from the world of Nintendo Free Radio. In the name of shaking things up, New Business has some pre-recorded thoughts from the team before a Q&A round. Donald opens the bidding with the 3DS rhythm platformer HarmoKnight (a final aftershock of the combo) and dodges flying matchsticks with Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, while Stephen loads up on the March multiplayer hits with Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU). Austen wraps up with spoiler-free thoughts on the latest game everyone's Irrationally excited for: Bioshock Infinite  - a game that may be better served in a different genre - before going old school with Alone In the Dark: Inferno.

After the usual round of insanity Now Posted at the NWR forums, Whatcha Watchin' prevents plenty of animated violence for your edification. Donald has been working his way through the complete original animated run of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Stephen fought off the slice of the Witchblade, and Austen wrapped up Shakugan no Shana and took on the thrill ride of Deadman Wonderland.

The Feature Discussion doesn't have a full subject, but there were enough for a segment legally distinct from the classic Four Minute Warning format. Topics for discussion include CEO sackings, generational length, and just what a "Game of the Fiscal Year" list would look like. As usual, the show wraps with the Mushrooms, featuring someone giving both mushrooms to the same company. Who gets to drink from the firehose? You'll have to listen to find out.

We definitely want to hear from you in case we have to try our non-unionized Four Minute Warning equivalent again, or any other questions/discussion topics: send them to nintendofreeradio@gmail.com. We'll see you again soon, but until then, beware the Snake of the Festival.

This podcast was edited by Austen Parkin. All music used in this episode is under Fair Use protection.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:55:20 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 15: I Haff Tvelve Zerg Rushes...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »
Alright, now that the episode is up as well as the show thread...

Editor's Note: I put a TON of work into this episode, trying to take in feedback we've gotten over the last year to put in more "breaks" for your listening benefit, so I hope you enjoy it.  This episode was a bit of an experiment for all of us, so PLEASE let us know if you like the changes. ;D

On a more humorous note, here is the original trailer for the Wii version of Alone in the Dark. Bask in its early Wii years cheesy glory!  :cool;

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »
Huh. What a coincidence.

In the intermission you had some song with Rob Paulsen's voice (i can only guess it's Animaniacs or something), and then switched to TMNT again with Paulsen as Rafael.

I was listening to his podcasts lately.

And yeah, i remember that episode with Mikey-Shredder. At one point they brought normal Michelangelo back but crazy Shredder was there too and it was pretty hilarious to see them both playing the same "duuuuude" role.

On remasters, i think Disney is actually the driving force behind it, seeing how Sega's Castle of Illusion is also getting a remake.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »
Huh. What a coincidence.

In the intermission you had some song with Rob Paulsen's voice (i can only guess it's Animaniacs or something), and then switched to TMNT again with Paulsen as Rafael.

Yep, it sure is an Animaniacs song.  :D

There's actually a fair amount of Rob Paulsen in this episode, as I used another clip of him from Animaniacs early in the episode.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »
Good stuff! The case for Alone in the Dark was particularly convincing.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
In reference to the title of this episode...

F*CK YOU!!!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
In reference to the title of this episode...

F*CK YOU!!!

HAH!  ;D I was wondering when someone would finish the strip's joke.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »
so umm... are we ever going to get a consistent time table for these things or are we going to continue with this development hell... Honestly it feels like every episode is behind by over a month
Also that song is hereby required by law to be played during now posted...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
so umm... are we ever going to get a consistent time table for these things or are we going to continue with this development hell... Honestly it feels like every episode is behind by over a month
Also that song is hereby required by law to be played during now posted...

Yeah, I'd love to have a consistent release schedule as well, but it's just the realities of trying to get these things edited & out, and the last episode we recorded got hung up in the editing room with audio & time issues. I really have no frickin' idea how the various folks at Radio Free Nintendo manage to get an episode out every week.  I don't know when Ep. 16 will be released.  Sorry about that, but Ceric's on that one.  We are recording another episode this weekend, so we'll see how that goes.  We'll keep you guys posted, especially on Twitter.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:14 AM »
Guillaume is strapped to a metal table with a frickin' laser beam moving incrementally towards his twig 'n' berries and if he doesn't get the episode up by noon on Sunday (Canadian Standard Time), it cuts of his rod (in the parlance of our times).

The situation is different when Jonny and James edit the show. They can get it done whenever the **** they want.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 03:04:31 AM »
As someone going back through the history of the show recently, I'd argue that James getting it done whenever the **** he wanted could be called a direct cause of Guillaume being on the show at all.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »
BA-BLAM!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
Seriously enough though,  I've got a Full-Time job, Family, and a house that looks like Chaos Lives there. 

In general we record around 3-4 Hours of Raw Audio.  We always have background noise to clean.  Which to be honest is the biggest time sink.  I would like to be able to be consistant but a show can take anywhere from 4 hours to edit (WiiU Release special probably our cleanest recording) to 40+.  We keep trying to bring that down to something manageable.  So far it hasn't exactly worked.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
Seriously enough though,  I've got a Full-Time job, Family, and a house that looks like Chaos Lives there. 

In general we record around 3-4 Hours of Raw Audio.  We always have background noise to clean.  Which to be honest is the biggest time sink.  I would like to be able to be consistant but a show can take anywhere from 4 hours to edit (WiiU Release special probably our cleanest recording) to 40+.  We keep trying to bring that down to something manageable.  So far it hasn't exactly worked.

Yeah, and I can personally vouch that some of my episodes have taken around 60+ hours to edit, which is why I've cracked that I could beat a modern JRPG in that time.  We can probably cut that down it we (particularly me) can manage to get better equipment, but the right equipment is expensive and...yeah...see the early part of Ceric's reply.

We're trying to get this show out as quickly and in the best shape as possible, but the editing process is more ridiculously complicated and time-intensive than you can imagine.  Please just bear with us as we try to sort this stuff out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:04:15 PM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
part of it is you guys put in all of these special effects... but you should have a better setup for editing
4 hours, 4 people
1 person edits each hour and somebody comes in and cleans up whats left... 15 hours each person in theory...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
part of it is you guys put in all of these special effects... but you should have a better setup for editing
4 hours, 4 people
1 person edits each hour and somebody comes in and cleans up whats left... 15 hours each person in theory...

Actually, the sound effects & music are a relatively minor time investment (it probably takes longer to find those assets than it does to plug them in).  The big time killer is the simple process of muting people when they're not talking; removing noises; shifting audio around if people talk over each other; and boosting or lowering audio when someone's too loud or soft.  In this last episode, I also spent a great deal of time trying to insert more pauses between sentences. I sure won't be doing that again, because it drove me nuts and in the end I don't think it improved things all that much.

As for the setup issue, I'm looking into getting a better microphone in the next few days that should help matters considerably.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:31:38 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »

As for the setup issue, I'm looking into getting a better microphone in the next few days that should help matters considerably.
Finally...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »

Finally...

Hey, $100 microphones aren't a purchase one should make lightly, especially if you aren't sure what the right one was (or, for that matter, if a better microphone will even make a difference).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:34:40 PM by broodwars »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 02:36:37 AM »
You don't have one of these bad boys lying around?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
You don't have one of these bad boys lying around?

Nope. I did get a nice new microphone/recorder for our NFR 17 recording this past weekend, though. It's the same model Jonny uses for RFN, so I'm hoping for similar results in the editing room.