Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250223 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Apple thread
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »
The iPhone has been getting much more competition. As a single product line, it shouldn't have had so much market share next the plethora of Android devices to begin with.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2013, 05:39:52 AM »
the way stock prices work it does not matter that much... marketshare is a much bigger thing which the iphone has been struggling with
Look at them struggling! http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/
Seriously, the only graphs where Android is dominating iOS is worldwide phone shipments because cheap asian knockoff brands are THROWING terrible plastic handsets at the third world. When it comes to making money and people actually using your device iOS is where it's at.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:48:24 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2013, 07:32:49 AM »
That's enterprise, not total. Android has a massive lead in total install base. Just look at your link.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
And yet Apple still has a pretty significant lead in terms of software, because apparently most Android users don't buy apps. Probably because a lot of that market share is low-end models that are glorified feature phones.

Apple has the best software support and makes the most money; remind me again why their market share is a problem?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »
Because their stock value has dropped to a 16-month low due to it's decrease.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
People who play the stock market are, by and large, idiots. I always like to talk about how similar Apple and Nintendo are, but this is one area in which they are very different. Nintendo is currently being knocked around by their shareholders, and Iwata's listening to them and trying to appease them. Apple, however, doesn't really give a **** what shareholders think, and rightly pretty much ignore the whole thing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »
Because their stock value has dropped to a 16-month low due to it's decrease.
A 16month low! OH NO! What are they now? Only the second most valuable company in the world?

Get some fucking perspective: The stock market is a JOKE. Nothing that happens there is connected to reality in the slightest but we are told that it is SO IMPORTANT because the 1%, the investment bankers are the ones that lose out when Apple falls 5%.

Apple's Q4 2012 earnings were THE HIGHEST IN THE HISTORY OF THE COMPANY AND THE SECOND HIGHEST IN CORPORATE AMERICAN HISTORY EVER. The stock markets response? SELL SELL APPLE STOCK! Because they had been speculating on Apple actually making a BIGGER profit. The gazillion dollars or whatever that Apple pocketed was actually BELOW EXPECTATION because capitalists on Wall Street genuinely believe in ever exponential growth on this planet of finite resources. The Stock Market is bullshit and should never be used a tool to measure a company's fortunes or even the health of the economy. The REAL economy is Apple manufacturing and selling computers. The real economy is people exchanging money for goods and services. The fake economy is investment bankers speculating (ie. gambling) borrowed money on Wall Street.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2013, 09:21:38 AM »
No need to lash out like that, I'm not an investor. But yes, the sales are what really help the (Chinese) economy.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
RAB, what happens in the stock market does effect most people. For one, many pensions and similar plans like 401(k)'s (which most people have) are managed and invested in stocks. Do you or someone you know have a pension? If so, they should pay attention to the stock market. It's true that most pensions funds focus on safe bets like government bonds (low risk, but low return), but they also invest in other stocks too. For example, the  California Public Employees' Retirement System has about $1.5 billion invested in commodities stocks. Back In October they had a little over $3 billion but sold about 55% after losing 8% a year for 5 years. The stock market DOES affect more people than you think.

There is also the point that when stock goes down, the company sometimes responds by doing stuff like firing workers (since it will result in a short term profit).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
RAB, what happens in the stock market does effect most people. For one, many pensions and similar plans like 401(k)'s (which most people have) are managed and invested in stocks. Do you or someone you know have a pension? If so, they should pay attention to the stock market. It's true that most pensions funds focus on safe bets like government bonds (low risk, but low return), but they also invest in other stocks too. For example, the  California Public Employees' Retirement System has about $1.5 billion invested in commodities stocks. Back In October they had a little over $3 billion but sold about 55% after losing 8% a year for 5 years. The stock market DOES affect more people than you think.

There is also the point that when stock goes down, the company sometimes responds by doing stuff like firing workers (since it will result in a short term profit).
RAB, the opposite is true, if left unchecked it can bring down the entire economy down with it, but we should drop this before we start going politics

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »

RAB, the opposite is true, if left unchecked it can bring down the entire economy down with it, but we should drop this before we start going politics

And a kid in high school knows everything, right? (Not saying I know stocks, I have no idea how that **** works). Also, I fail to see how stocks is politics. It's economy.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »

And a kid in high school knows everything, right? (Not saying I know stocks, I have no idea how that **** works). Also, I fail to see how stocks is politics. It's economy.
and when the economy crashes(with or without the stock markets help) it becomes politics...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
Economics (of which the stock market is a function) is intertwined with politics. There's not really a solid border, but it's pretty hard to separate the two if you go too much beneath the surface. Tread lightly.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »
says the moderator whos site constantly posts about nintendos quarterly losses...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »
Again, it's complicated. Talk just about Nintendo's financial situation and you're okay. But go more into higher level economic arguments and you start to get into political territory.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »
i know i know but a chance to call you out as the hypocrite you are is priceless,

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
Wow....

Anyway, Microsoft is working on a smartwatch. Apple is working on a wristband. Google is working on glasses.

We will all soon be assimilated.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »
google glass is the stupidest thing i have ever seen, it makes kinect look good

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
Why do you think Google Glass is stupid? It's actually useful, unlike Kinect. The only downside is that Google says anyone who sells, trades, or loans their pair to somebody will have their Google Glass service terminate (so if you want a pair, you have to be approved by them and buy a pair from them).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »
That's only for the developer version. Pretty sure the retail one will not.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »
google glass is the stupidest thing i have ever seen, it makes kinect look good

I haven't read enough about the actual impressions of google glass, but I think the implications for a product like that becoming mass-market is very intriguing, and I do think wearable computing will eventually become the norm, if not at least widely available.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
1. the number of privacy problems that could come up is insane
2. i have yet to see some feature that could convince me that said risks are worth taking
3.(for lols) google glass in general bears an eerie resemblance of this for me :D

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
2. i have yet to see some feature that could convince me that said risks are worth taking
3.(for lols) google glass in general bears an eerie resemblance of this for me :D

LOL. If you think that you have any sort of privacy in today's world, and if you think that Glass is any different than what is already in place in terms of privacy and technology, you truly are an idio-a not so smart guy.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:07 PM »

Do you have a smartphone?  People give A LOT of personal information on their smartphones, and I think the leap in security breach between the two might be overstated.

Don't take this as me saying I'm complicit in private business' continual mining of personal information, but I think that particular ship has sailed in some ways.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
yes to an extent it has sailed but i would like to keep what i have left,