Author Topic: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Day 1: Microsoft, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sony  (Read 39637 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Yep, we're ending on Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Once again, timed DLC exclusivity.  It's a good thing I'm not a huge Call of Duty fan.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
 What shocked me most about Microsoft’s game line-up was that Dance Central 3 didn’t have any shooting. What’s up with that?

Also, what tablets even qualify for Smart Glass? I’m guessing iPad doesn’t count.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
What shocked me most about Microsoft’s game line-up was that Dance Central 3 didn’t have any shooting. What’s up with that?

Also, what tablets even qualify for Smart Glass? I’m guessing iPad doesn’t count.
Window 8 tablets and devices.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Well, Black Ops 2 looks good, but it's a Treyarch game so I expected that.  I liked the variety in play experiences and the branching mission structure.  Very modern warfare-ish, though.

Overall, not the world's worst press conference, but god it was boring for about 30 minutes or so around the middle of the conference with the SmartGlass and TV stuff.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The forumers at Penny Arcade are remarking that E3 isn't for "us" anymore with all the non-game and casual stuff that's focused on.  But then who is E3 aimed at?  Because the people excited about Usher being in Dance Central are sure as **** not paying attention to E3, or even know what it is.  They spend so much time on casual stuff at E3 but the casuals aren't there.  Reveal the casual stuff for like the Teen Choice Awards or some nonsense like that.  The geeks are the only ones that are ever going to pay attention to E3 so stick to the core stuff.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I watched most of the Microsoft E3 stuff.  Besides talking to kinect to do stuff it was squarely aimed at "us"
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
The forumers at Penny Arcade are remarking that E3 isn't for "us" anymore with all the non-game and casual stuff that's focused on.  But then who is E3 aimed at?  Because the people excited about Usher being in Dance Central are sure as **** not paying attention to E3, or even know what it is.  They spend so much time on casual stuff at E3 but the casuals aren't there.  Reveal the casual stuff for like the Teen Choice Awards or some nonsense like that.  The geeks are the only ones that are ever going to pay attention to E3 so stick to the core stuff.

I don't mind the Dance Central stuff.  I just wish they actually demo-ed the game rather than just a dancer putting on a show with some game footage in the background.  I feel sorry for Harmonix being forced to milk that franchise into the ground.

Incidentally, I think Tomb Raider was the highlight of that conference.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
I have a feeling this is what Nintendo was trying to do yesterday with their video.  I'm predicting their E3 presentation will be more tailored to the actual audience.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

According to what I've seen, you can use an iPad for it, as well as Android devices.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
What?  It wasn't Halo Prime: A Metroid Saga?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile

Not enough scanning.  ;)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
'Meh' to that conference. I know that the Xbox brand has branched out into all sorts of entertainment and that almost half of 360 usage is non-gaming related, but I have to question whether E3 is the venue to go into it in depth. Maybe it's just me being stuck in the past when game consoles were their own separate thing, but I'm sick to death of hearing about how I can watch films and TV, listen to music, browse the web on all these devices when I've had devices that could do all this for years. Is E3 the appropriate place to discuss this stuff? I used to think not, but I suppose times have changed.

When there were actual games being shown, I'm with broodwars in that Tomb Raider was easily the most compelling demo. I'm also curious to see more of Black Ops 2, although I guess the parts that make that game potentially interesting can't really be demoed.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile

Not enough scanning.  ;)

Hey, no Sakamoto!  They could put that right on the box!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
WTF happened to those "Rare" titles that were supposed to be in the works.  Ascend was the only game that somewhat caught my eye until they announced the developer.

Pretty damn week show for MS IMO.  Hopefully Sony has better offerings.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
They stated that RE6 DLC will be timed exclusive for 360 as well as the first DLC for Tomb Raider.  I don't think that really matters, but they said it like with Black Ops II.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Hopefully Sony has better offerings.
Rest Assured they'll have a Metroid Prime game and a GCN-GBA Connectivity device as well.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
WTF happened to those "Rare" titles that were supposed to be in the works.

I noticed with some amusement that when that Microsoft rep was naming all the great studios of Microsoft, he did not mention Rare.  My how that studio has fallen.

Pretty damn week show for MS IMO.  Hopefully Sony has better offerings.

They have The Last of Us, Sly 4, and God of War Ascension at the very least, setting aside any Vita stuff.  Plus, their Press Conference is a whole half hour shorter so there's less room for stuff we don't care about.  It can only go up from here.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Hopefully Sony has better offerings.
Rest Assured they'll have a Metroid Prime game and a GCN-GBA Connectivity device as well.
I hope they include the link cable with the game.  I only have four of those and want another one. :)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile

The problem that too many people just fail to understand is that E3 was never meant for us.  That's why we can't get in.  That's why they talk about the boring sales figures.

E3 is meant for investors and retailers.  And to some extent, journalists.

E3 isn't, nor was it ever meant to be PAX or Comic Con.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile

The problem that too many people just fail to understand is that E3 was never meant for us.  That's why we can't get in.  That's why they talk about the boring sales figures.

I don't think its really for Investors.  More Retailers and Journalists.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile

It's mostly for the media though and the videogame media pays the most attention to it.  Maybe that's just a coincidence?  Maybe all along they were hoping that the more mainstream media would care but you don't read impressions from E3 anywhere but on gaming sites and prior to that, gaming magazines.  The core gamers were always who was paying attention.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
MS couldn't have made it for "us" or anything though because they simply didn't have anything to excite "us."

The 360 is about 7 years old so it is now a sequel box.  At this stage in the game there isn't anything to wow any group at a show like this.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I just watched the RE6 footage. So far, so good. I got the feeling that Capcom is trying to outdo Uncharted with the big scripted events. Also, QTE = sad panda

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
My problem with that press conference wasn't that it "wasn't for us", as there was probably at least 45 minutes of game footage from games "we" care about.  It's that it was bad, and not in a hilarious way like last year.  It was just...boring.  It wasn't fun to watch.  It's why I cracked halfway through the conference that Microsoft's new tag line must be "the audience is now asleep."

As for RE6, I thought it looked "good", but not "great".  Leon's section of the campaign is supposed to be the "Survival Horror" part of the game, and it looked just as action-centric as RE5.  And RE5 really disappointed me.

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
 Yeah, looks like I was wrong; apparently you can use iOS devices for Smart Glass. But you won’t be able to stream and play full games off such devices. It seems like more like tablet connectivity as an accessory, rather than an actual controller. Even if it were possible, how would one play Halo 4 with no actual buttons?