Author Topic: Square Enix Considering Final Fantasy for the Wii U  (Read 7421 times)

Offline NWR_MattB

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Square Enix Considering Final Fantasy for the Wii U
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »

Final Fantasy could eventually land on the Wii U.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26734

Square Enix is now considering bringing their highly-acclaimed Final Fantasy series to the Wii U, according to Yoshinori Kitase.

“After seeing Wii U revealed at Nintendo’s conference, we are now considering the possibilities of bringing the Final Fantasy series to the format,” Kitase remarked.

The Wii U will arrive around the globe in 2012.

Offline mr_lakitu

• View Profile
    • mfgamers
Re: Square Enix Considering Final Fantasy for the Wii U
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:43:20 AM »
As if they won't.
Bread makes you fat? 0,0

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
Someone's looking for moneyhats from Sony...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
Final Fantasy is already on 360. Not terribly surprised by this.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
We have Final Fantasy on the Wii.  How is this news?

And Final Fantasy is kind of getting into Sonic territory where it used to be a well respected series and has since become a joke.  FFXIII and XIV have both been rather poorly received.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
Final Fantasy 15 for the Wii U?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
What? Final Fantasy XIII got great reviews.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »

And a mixed reaction from fans and players. Some people liked the game well enough. Others felt the opposite.
However, calling the series a joke is too early at the moment. There's still Final Fantasy 13-2, Final Fantasy Type 0 (PSP), and Final Fantasy Versus 13 (PS3) coming out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
After SquareEnix's disappointment in their own E3 showing this year (citing their purchase of Eidos being their only beacon of light at the show), I'm surprised they ready to announce all of the Final Fantasy series to be ported to WiiU just so that they had something to announce to an audience that might actually get excited over it.

Koji Taguchi, a senior executive officer at Square Enix Holdings, posted the following at Twitter on the final day of the show: "Because we merged with Eidos and had games like Tomb Raider, Deus and Hitman, as a company we were able to keep face. But the decline in Japanese titles was almost humiliating. This has been a week where I worried daily about how we can fix this."

Offline Lady Mushroom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
A main-series, numbered Final Fantasy back on a Nintendo console is a historic event. I am really excited.
The only walking talking mushroom in Real Life.

Offline Pajamas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »

And a mixed reaction from fans and players. Some people liked the game well enough. Others felt the opposite.
However, calling the series a joke is too early at the moment. There's still Final Fantasy 13-2, Final Fantasy Type 0 (PSP), and Final Fantasy Versus 13 (PS3) coming out.

If you've been playing Final Fantasy for as long as some of us, you'd know it's been a joke for a long time.
3DS Friend Code: 0044-2803-2317

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
Like how, for example, FFXII basically plays itself so you're mostly just steering your character to the next cutscene?

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »

If you've been playing Final Fantasy for as long as some of us, you'd know it's been a joke for a long time.

Hm, can't argue against that.
As a curious observer, the games look fine and interesting if you want a JRPG experience. I seem to have avoided most of the systems new Final Fantasy games come out on. The games I have played (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 for the PSP and The Last Remnant for the PC) have been fairly fun and entertaining. Er, it might have helped that I picked them up from the bargain bin or Steam sale.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
Final Fantasy is a joke because FFXIII has had a mixed reception from the fanbase and yet Square Enix is MILKING it.  They put all their eggs this gen in the FFXIII basket and the first game wasn't so hot.  Who is looking forward to XIII-2 or Vs. XIII?  But they already committed to those projects so they're stuck with the mixed reception of FFXIII poisoning the marketability of the other games in the XIII "series".

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
Of course they're going to put the main Series on Wii U, it's one 360 for crying out loud. Everytime a game like this is no longer exclusive to Sony or Microsoft its just going to be another big plus 1 for Nintendo. But then again every time these games go multiplatform people care about them less and less.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:56:11 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
And Final Fantasy is kind of getting into Sonic territory where it used to be a well respected series and has since become a joke.  FFXIII and XIV have both been rather poorly received.

I think this may be relative--  maybe where most FF's were universally lauded, 12 and 13 were....still lauded, but not by all.  Including myself (not lauding it, that is).

[/size][/font]
Like how, for example, FFXII basically plays itself so you're mostly just steering your character to the next cutscene?

Which is exactly why I didn't like them.   To be perfectly honest, I never played 13 (I don't have an HD console), but even if I could, I wouldn't have because it apparently has a similar combat system to 12, which I played for about 10 hours and wanted to email Square Enix, asking for my time back.  Oh man, did I hate that game.  And I bought it at launch for full price.  I saw it used 2 months later for 30 bucks at gamestop.

I love active time battle.  Love it.  I'm too old to give a rat's ass about story in games, because stories in games will always suck compared to..oh, I don't know, BOOKS.  So I play games for gameplay.  Actually playing the game.    It's the only significant flaw I see in these modern FF games, if they went back to ATB or something where you actually play the game, I will go back to that series.  If not, the buh-bye.  I know it's just one thing, but it seems like a central gameplay concept that I just can't get over.   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:42:01 PM by leahsdad »
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »
Final Fantasy is a joke because FFXIII has had a mixed reception from the fanbase and yet Square Enix is MILKING it.  They put all their eggs this gen in the FFXIII basket and the first game wasn't so hot.  Who is looking forward to XIII-2 or Vs. XIII?  But they already committed to those projects so they're stuck with the mixed reception of FFXIII poisoning the marketability of the other games in the XIII "series".

That's evident since they changed Final Fantasy Agito XIII to Final Fantasy Type Zero.
I'm curious as to how 13-2 and Versus 13 turns out. From what I've read, 13 had problems but had fun things as well. Perhaps 13-2 will fix the problems. As for Versus 13, that is a pretty much a different game made under the direction of a different director. I assume followers of the series know that and will treat Versus 13 as such.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
I'd much rather have an exclusive Dues Ex than FF. I shouldn't be considered though since I am not a fan of FF. I did love FFX but my copy of the game was scratched and it wouldn't let me progress past a certain point. Even so, I still played the **** out of Water Soccer or whatever that was.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
With its new controller, which RPG series WOULDN'T want to be on the Wii U?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
With its new controller, which RPG series WOULDN'T want to be on the Wii U?

Seriously.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
I'm actually hoping for another entry in the Crystal Chronicles series. I've enjoyed those games, and I'm not into the modern Final Fantasy. The only FF game I enjoyed on the PlayStation was FFIX, and the ones released since look to further the direction I didn't like from FFVII and VIII.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 07:05:30 PM »
I agree FF9 was the last one I finished.  10 and 12 I would get close to the end and it just began to become too much of a chore and the story became way too serious.  I hope they can release something more whimsical when they make there triumphant return to Nintendo.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
The umote could be a good way for the Final Fantasy series to return to the over world map travelling that was common through the series until the PS2 was launched. I imagine a game with the production scale of FF 13 but when the player travels between towns and such the screen transitions to the Umote, where an over world area is seen with the player travelling from point a to point b.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
Finally.  Come on home Final Fantasy.  We've missed you!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
Square Enix was talking about being a more multiplatform company before the Wii-U was announced, but I only see this as happening because the Wii-U is a decent console. On the other hand So was Gamecube, so suck a nut Square Enix.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post