Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1587383 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2925 on: April 27, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
NEW IP FOR SMASH BROS.

Sorry, what?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: April 27, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Miyamoto mentions the key thing in games is surprising people which suggests the need for new IP but then he also says "We need to continue releasing new games in existing franchises otherwise those franchises might die," which suggest more and more of the same tired franchise that I'm pretty bored of.  Nintendo sure as hell doesn't surprise me with Mario and Zelda anymore.  I like those games because they're fun to play but they rarely surprise me anymore.

Nintendo always talks about how innovative and creative and awesome they are, regardless of what the reality is.  Don't talk about surprising me, DO IT.  Nintendo lost my trust this gen so anything they say is irrelevant.  They have to show me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: April 27, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »
Frankly, Wii Music surprised me. I had a smile plastered on my face all through E3 2009s presser. I guess that puts me in the minority...

Actually, Mario Kart games have started to not surprise me... I still have little drive to buy the 3DS one... But despite my personal malaise, it'd be a pretty epic move if the PS4 and X720 had to launch against a Wii U Mario Kart title.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
If Nintendo wants to give me a (pleasant) surprise, they should come up with a brand new FPS game which would be their answer to Killzone/Halo. The other guys have their own entries in the FPS genre, but Nintendo is completely absent. In order to be competitive Nintendo needs to fill this niche with something because right now they don't have any counter to it at all, and if they aren't going to bother competing in this area then there is no possibility whatsoever for them to regain the hardcore market. I'm not saying they have to necessarily have the best (at least initially) game, but they should at least try. All I ask is that they try, and I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

FPS games might not sell in Japan at all, but they sell extremely well in North America, and if Nintendo wants to improve their standing in western markets (which they should, because money is money no matter what region it comes from) then they need to cater to the tastes of that particular region. Making games that appeal to Japanese gamers is a tactic which works in Japan, but Japan isn't the entire world or even close to it. The bulk of the market exists overseas. Maybe in the 80s and 90s Japan was king when it came to video games, but nowadays I think Europe and North America have surpassed it. If you want to win globally you have to compete globally.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:20:41 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2929 on: April 27, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
The fact that that game exists would surprise you by default. How to make the game unique, innovative and surprising in its own right is the question Nintendo probably can't answer right now.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: April 27, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »
Frankly, Wii Music surprised me. I had a smile plastered on my face all through E3 2009s presser. I guess that puts me in the minority...

Wii Music surprised me too, but in an unpleasant way.  I was thinking "THIS is Wii Music?!!  THIS is the most notable Wii game at E3?!!  THIS is actually a real product someone is going to release?!!"  What sucks is that as musician I was actually excited about Wii Music prior to it's official reveal.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: April 27, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »
If Nintendo wants to give me a (pleasant) surprise, they should come up with a brand new FPS game which would be their answer to Killzone/Halo. The other guys have their own entries in the FPS genre, but Nintendo is completely absent. In order to be competitive Nintendo needs to fill this niche with something because right now they don't have any counter to it at all, and if they aren't going to bother competing in this area then there is no possibility whatsoever for them to regain the hardcore market. I'm not saying they have to necessarily have the best (at least initially) game, but they should at least try. All I ask is that they try, and I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

FPS games might not sell in Japan at all, but they sell extremely well in North America, and if Nintendo wants to improve their standing in western markets (which they should, because money is money no matter what region it comes from) then they need to cater to the tastes of that particular region. Making games that appeal to Japanese gamers is a tactic which works in Japan, but Japan isn't the entire world or even close to it. The bulk of the market exists overseas. Maybe in the 80s and 90s Japan was king when it came to video games, but nowadays I think Europe and North America have surpassed it. If you want to win globally you have to compete globally.

Instead of catering to a specific region or demographic, what Nintendo needs to do is make the next Mario or Pokemon, a game that crosses all demographics and genders. Something that is truly appreciated worldwide.

Mario doesn't even seem like it's made by a Japanese company, it's the one game that can truly be called a worldwide phenomenon.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: April 27, 2012, 07:14:38 PM »
Mario doesn't even seem like it's made by a Japanese company, it's the one game that can truly be called a worldwide phenomenon.
Well since there's never been a game just called Mario, I guess we don't know for sure.  Mario as a franchise, is platforming, racing, sports, fighting and board games/mini games all together.  So which aspect of Mario is the one you are referring to here?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: April 27, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

Instead of catering to a specific region or demographic, what Nintendo needs to do is make the next Mario or Pokemon, a game that crosses all demographics and genders. Something that is truly appreciated worldwide.

Doesn't Nintendo ALWAYS make the next Mario and Pokemon? I love the Mario platforming series, but diversity is something I like as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: April 27, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

Doesn't Nintendo ALWAYS make the next Mario and Pokemon? I love the Mario platforming series, but diversity is something I like as well.

No, I'm saying Nintendo should make a game that (like Mario and Pokemon) crosses all demographics and is truly loved by people worldwide. Pokemon was a huge risk that paid off, and Nintendo needs something new like that.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: April 27, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »
Well since there's never been a game just called Mario, I guess we don't know for sure.  Mario as a franchise, is platforming, racing, sports, fighting and board games/mini games all together.  So which aspect of Mario is the one you are referring to here?

Mario as a character and overall franchise. The character of Mario is very Western-styled, almost Disney like.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
You've never played Mario?

...not trying to be a dick, but in Nintendo's heyday it was common to "play Mario".  And I agree that Mario seems to transcend culture.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:17 PM »

After EA practically ran Madden NFL into the ground, why would the NFL want to do exclusive licenses with anyone? MLB doesn't do exclusive licenses anymore, since Sony also makes their "MLB The Show" for PlayStation systems.

Exclusivity of the sports licenses did not affect the 1st party console makers. Sony, MS or Nintendo could release a NFL or MLB title if they wanted to, but no other 3rd party could.
That is why Sony could make MLB the Show, but EA couldn't make MLB 2012.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: April 27, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »
Nintendo was actually making their own MLB game for GameCube, Pennant Chase Baseball, which was basically finished but never released.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »
Pikmin is no Mario, that's for sure. Mario is a platformer with intuitive, easy to learn controls. Pikmin is a strategy dungeon-esque game that relies on challenging the player. If Nintendo is going to make a new IP, it needs to be like Mario, not Pikmin. Intuitive, fun, and replayable. Once you know where the parts/loot is in Pikmin, it loses its replayability.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: April 28, 2012, 12:00:10 AM »
Some Project Cars Wii U details have surfaced
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37617.0

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2941 on: April 28, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
No, I'm saying Nintendo should make a game that (like Mario and Pokemon) crosses all demographics and is truly loved by people worldwide. Pokemon was a huge risk that paid off, and Nintendo needs something new like that.

Calling Pokemon a "huge risk" is a bit of a stretch. Yeah, they invested in it a good bit, but that was the style back in the go-go 90s.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: April 28, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
Yeah, I don't think Pokemon was a huge risk because wasn't there similar stuff which was extremely popular and predated Pokemon?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: April 28, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »
Here is a slightly interesting bit of news

The Queen has declared June 5th a Bank Holiday this year in the UK.

That just happens to be the same day as Nintendo's E3 Wii U Blow-out Conference (6/5)

They say it's for "The Queen's Diamond Jubilee", but since no one knows what that is and it didn't happen in the previous 2 years and isn't happening next year, it's obvious that The Queen did not want to miss the full reveal of the Wii U this year. The Queen is so HARDCORE, that she declared it a National freaking Holiday to watch the Nintendo E3 Conference this year.

It's the only logical explanation.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:33:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2944 on: April 28, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Since I work for a company that deals with UK customers, I'm pleased that I won't have to burn a vacation day to see the Nintendo press conference.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2945 on: April 28, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
Yeah, what time will it be in England when Nintendo takes to the stage?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
Yeah, what time will it be in England when Nintendo takes to the stage?

Quiet Time, because The Queen will be watching the conference.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: April 29, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
In other news....

Frontier (LostWinds Disneyland Adventures & Kinectimals) is supposedly making something for Wii U
LiveWii says that their sources say they have a Wii U dev kit.
http://www.livewii.fr/news/164929-Frontier_pr%C3%AAt_pour_un_LostWinds_sur_Wii_U_%3F

Google translation is rough, so I'll just leave a link.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2948 on: April 29, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »

After EA practically ran Madden NFL into the ground, why would the NFL want to do exclusive licenses with anyone? MLB doesn't do exclusive licenses anymore, since Sony also makes their "MLB The Show" for PlayStation systems.

Exclusivity of the sports licenses did not affect the 1st party console makers. Sony, MS or Nintendo could release a NFL or MLB title if they wanted to, but no other 3rd party could.
That is why Sony could make MLB the Show, but EA couldn't make MLB 2012.

No, that first party deal was only for the MLB license. EA does have the exclusive license for NFL games. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo legally can't release a NFL game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »
You've never played Mario?

...not trying to be a dick, but in Nintendo's heyday it was common to "play Mario".  And I agree that Mario seems to transcend culture.
I always heard it as playing Nintendo.  After that, it was playing playstation.  Nowadays, it's playing xbox.