Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 185566 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
Man, the Flyers can't get anything done on the power play tonight. eight chances, including two 5-on-3 opportunities, and nothing to show for it. They really need Chris Pronger back.

EDIT: Right after I typed that, Leino put one in. I'm not going to lie, I posted that while they were on the power play in hope that irony would kick in. They still really need Pronger back, though.

EDIT 2: And Briere just got an even strength goal to put them up by 2. They go from tied 3-3 to up 5-3 within minutes of my posting this. Coincidence? Almost certainly yes. Still, I'll take it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:51:47 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
Canucks within a game of bouncing the Hawks!  But that is only one of the monkeys on our back.  Losing in round two every year has also been part of it.  If we beat the Hawks and then job in the second round again, we really didn't do anything different.  But at least then would be merely chokers and not specifically Chicago's bitch. ;)

But Vancouver has been playing good.  Last year against the Kings in the first round it was more like we merely survived.  Here, we're clearly winning.  Most years if the Canucks win any playoff rounds they eke by.  Here they're almost certainly going on after a strong performance.

I figure Chicago can win at least one though.  I wouldn't get the brooms out yet.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2011, 01:52:07 PM »
Vancouver has been playing really well and the pace of the games are so much faster.  I've been watching their games as well and compairing it to the sharks-kings series.  The sharks look like they are skating through mud in compairison.  Vancouver is clearly the best team in the west thus far and have some of the best passing and transition game I've seen in a while. 

What do you think of the Torres hit?  I think he is a pretty dirty player and I hope Torres gets suspended for a long time.  I remember when he was playing on the Oilers and elbowed Michalik in the face and wasn't really punished for it.  If he doesn't get suspended he better be looking over his shoulder everytime he's out there.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
In the coffee room this morning at work there was much discussion of the Torres hit.  Nearly everyone here in a Canuck fan so I felt there was a bias to their opinions.  Torres was just suspended for four games and the first game he comes back he nearly takes a guy's head off.  There is no way the league can't punish him for that.  That's like commiting a crime the same day you get out of prison.

Some people have talked about the specifics of the hit and whether it should be worthy of suspension.  I find the NHL to be incredibly inconsistent about this stuff but their goal seems to be to get headshots out of the game.  That was a headshot.  Yeah you could say that this player did worse or that player did the same thing but got off.  But put yourself in the league's shoes.  This guy just got back from suspension.  The league would look like complete idiots if they didn't address it.

They should suspend him and I don't care how long it is for, even though the guy plays for my team.  I don't respect guys who try to injure other players.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:32 PM »
It worried me that the Flyers limped into the playoffs, but after seeing them kill off a 1:15 two man advantage I'm a lot more confident. Goaltending is key in the postseason, and Boosh is doing a great job of it after coming in for Bobrovsky late in the 1st on Saturday.

J.P. Corbran

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
Holly crap...  That was a crazy game last night.  I'm glad the sharkies got the W, but I wish they didn't have to go down 4-0 before coming back.  If this keeps up I'll need to get some bi-polar meds.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2011, 01:10:44 PM »
Well last night was rather embarassing.  I figured the Hawks would win at least one game but it could have been at least a competitive game.  The worst thing is that I went to a pub with co-workers last night and the whole experience was ruined by the Canucks half-assed play.  Halfway through the second period people were leaving and the whole evening was soured.  They could have lost in a competitive game and it still would have been a fun evening but there is no fun in watching a game that is over halfway through.

But it isn't like the Hawks have any real chance of coming back so I'm not concerned... yet.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into the Van-Chi game last night.  It was just some guys getting some frustration out.  Detroit laid a wooping on the sharks last year in game 4 when the sharks were up 3-0 in that series only to lose the next game.  I'm pretty sure this series will be similar situation.  But what do I know, my picks haven't really been playing out as I expected.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
Okay, what the ****?  I figured Chicago would win one or two games.  It was bound to happen.  But two blowouts where the 'nucks lose by FIVE GOALS!?  Once, that's an off night, but TWICE?

Odds are they'll still beat Chicago but at this exact moment I don't think anyone in Vancouver thinks we're bringing home the Cup.  Those last two games were utterly embarrassing.

This needs to be one of those "our shoddy play inspired us to get our **** together" situations where the team nearly blows it and then goes on a tear.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
Getting blown out at home is never good (see sharks kings game 2; awfull).  But Vancouver has 2 days to pull it together till they play again.  I think they'll get it done in Chicago.

Sharks better put the series with the kings to bed on saturday since it is likely we will be playing the redwings next round and they are already done. 

This first round has yeilded a bunch of suprising results.  You can't count anyone out until its over injuries or not.

I'm thinking Philly and Anahiem win tonight. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
I'm getting worried about the Flyers. Ryan Miller is hot right now, and when he's hot he's insanely good. And the word is Pronger still isn't ready to come back yet, and as I've said, him at the point is key to their power play.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Regardless of who wins, this Flyers-Sabres game is one of the best I've ever seen. The Flyers fought back from down 3-0 to force OT, but if Buffalo didn't have Ryan Miller in net Philadelphia would have scored at least twice as many goals. It's also nice to see Michael Leighton still has some magic left in him after that crazy run last year.

EDIT: Ah, dammit. Well, they came back from down 3-0 last year, so coming back from 3-2 is certainly possible.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:33:52 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »
I feel the Canucks played quite well last night.  But sometimes you can play your balls off and still lose and that is exactly why in a seven game series you don't essentially forfeit two games!  Chicago hasn't had to come back from 3-0, they've essentially had to come back from 3-2 which any decent team can do.

Now we're one bad bounce, one weak call, one brainfart or one meathead fourth liner taking a dumb penalty away from getting eliminated.  And if the Canucks lose it will be because of those two games that they did not show up for.  Unless they absolutely blow out the Hawks on Tuesday it is going to be a very hard game to watch.

And if they lose what does our GM do?  What do you do with a team that dominates all throughout the regular season only to suffer arguably the most pathetic choke job of all time?  You finish number one and lose to the number eight seed after having a 3-0 lead and it's to the team that has eliminated you the last two years in a row?  I cannot think of a worse situation.  How could I ever get excited about this core group again if they lose on Tuesday?  I played pick-up hockey last week with more determination then they showed in games 4 and 5.  And they have the Sedins and Luongo locked up for essentially the rest of their careers.  What good are Art Ross and Vezina trophies if the team is worthless in the playoffs?

I fear legitimate riots in Vancouver if the Canucks lose.  That isn't right but I can see it happening.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
Somehow the Flyers are in the playoffs virtually every season despite not ever having any kind of consistent goaltending. They even managed to have more of a problem there this year when they're the two seed than last year when they had to win the last game of the year to even make the playoffs. Three different starting goalies in six games. It's a testament to the resiliency of the team that they managed to take it to seven despite that. The last two games they started off by allowing two horrible goals that would be shameful in the AHL and having to fight back to force overtime.

If they do manage to win despite themselves, it's looking like a rematch with the Bruins in the next round, which should be interesting.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
Hey J.P., I was looking at a hockey board and a fan suggested, sort of jokingly, the idea of the Flyers trading for Luongo next year to handle their goaltending problems.  And I'm thinking "hmmmm" because our back-up is good and we could use some more heart in the playoffs which many of the Flyers skaters have in spades.  This is not the worst idea I've ever heard.

If the Flyers had some sort of decent goaltending since the Hextall era they certainly would have won another Cup by now.  Aside from the occasional bad season they never suck.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2011, 03:08:36 PM »
There was speculation they would pick up Nabakov in the last off season which wouldn't really fix the "non consistant" goaltending problem, but he would probably have more success with the flyers defensive structure than he ever did with the sharks and their inexperienced D'men.  If the Islanders let him go he may be available for cheap.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
They've been in the playoffs I believe 9 of the last 10 seasons, but the one year they missed them they were the worst team in the league.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up as much as they'd need to to get Luongo. A big part of the reason they're able to succeed despite their goaltending is their sheer depth.

J.P. Corbran

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
Wow my picks are looking terrible.  Fortuneately the Sharks are moving on and now I can watch the rest of the quarterfinals games without the knot in my stomach.  Tonights games should be fantastic.  I'm not going to "jinx" anyone by supporting one side or the other, but just looking forward to some good hockey.  Good luck to anyone with teams left in the playoffs.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »
And both Ian and I live to play another day. I really wish I could have watched that Vancouver game. OT in game 7 is always entertaining, but I had to be up early.

I've gotta say, that's more like what I was expecting from the Flyers in the postseason. If they play like that the rest of the way they could win the cup. Kimmo Timonen is fantastic so far, +9 for the playoffs, and Briere got his sixth goal.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
Fucking heart attack game last night!  When Toews scored short-handed in his knees to tie it with like a minute left I thought I was going to throw up.  The Canucks had played so well and didn't deserve to lose so all I could think of was games 4 & 5.  As I mentioned you can play your balls off and still lose, so you have to play hard each night in the playoffs.

The whole game I was screaming for the Canucks to score another goal!  The only time I was comfortable with the 1 goal lead was in the first period.  Crawford was a freak last night making all sorts of miracle saves.  Chicago will do well for the next few years with that guy in net.

It was great to see Burrows get it after missing the penalty shot and then later taking a penalty at the start of OT.  He would have been such a goat if we lost.

And after all that it's just the first round.  I have a feeling however that Nashville won't be so challenging.  They don't have the stars or the playoff experience or the psychological edge of having eliminated us the last two years in a row.  Still the Canucks should not take them lightly.  It would be rather lame to overcome such a near disaster against Chicago only to lose to a team that just made it past the first round for the first time ever.

We've got the monkey off our back so let's not blow it.  Full stream ahead to the finals and learn from the huge mistakes made in games 4 & 5.

Kind of nice that the Canucks, Sharks and Flyers all made it to the next round.  Now I need Tampa to win tonight and Boston to lose to help out my hockey pool.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2011, 12:43:51 PM »
Any Red Wings fans here?  If so do you want to make a friendly bet?  If the Red Wings win I'll change my Avatar to the Red Wings logo for the rest of the playoffs but if the Sharks win, you'll have to sport a sharks one.  Any takers?

The Van-Chi game was crazy.  I was feeling for vancouver when the shorthanded goal went in.  I thought that level of bad breaks only happened to the sharks but glad to see them over come it, plus now we don't have to play Chicago.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:45:29 PM by apdude »

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
My Blackhawks lost. Looking at recent posts it appears I won't get much sympathy though.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
sympathy... probably not since they did take out all our teams last year, but much respect.  They did far better than I thought they would after a lackluster season.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:08:39 PM by apdude »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
Nashville has to start somewhere.  Maybe if we have a good showing, they'll get more clout here.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
As a Flyers fan, I have exactly zero sympathy for Blackhawks fans. You had your fun last year; it's someone else's turn now.

J.P. Corbran