Author Topic: 2010 World Cup - South Africa  (Read 24414 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
2010 World Cup - South Africa
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »
18 months from now, the World Cup will finally be played on African soil. It is a huge moment in South Africa's history, as well as a prestigious moment for all Africans and African nations. 6 African nations will qualify this year, meaning there is a good chance one might make a very big splash and may even get to the quarter or semifinals. That would be fantastic.

If you have never been to South Africa, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth; with mountains that glide into beaches, forests filled with exotic birds and birds of prey, and plains brimming with zebra, baboons, lions, rhinos, elephants and cheetahs. There is nothing like it. I suggest to anyone that is a fan of football and a fan of traveling to seriously consider going; even if it's a short stay.

I, along with my brother and some friends, will be heading back to Cape Town to watch the entire World Cup play out. I hope to buy a ticket to the QF or SF games since both will be in Cape Town. I really hope I can, but it wouldn't be too disappointing if I couldn't.

I'm going to continually update this thread with news of the Cup; maybe some pictures of the newly built stadiums and what not. So enjoy.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: 2010 World Cup - South Africa
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm really, really seriously considering going. Depends on when I'm at uni and so forth but I really wanna go.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »
Wow, first a black president and now the World Cup.  You guys are on a roll.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
Brazil's next in the line with 2014! I don't know how, but I am definitely going to that as well.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »

I look at this picture and frown. Red countries are already eliminated from qualification (because they lost but it's still upsetting) How can cool countries like Vanuatu and Senegal be out already when clowns who will no doubt underperform (cough, European qualifiers 6 through to 13) will clog up the tournament?

Friggen New Zealand winning OFC qualification. I'll NEVAR FORGET the Oceania Cup of 2004, when 300 or so individuals wandered into Adelaide's stadium to see Vanautu TROUNCE New Zealand 4-2, ensuring that the Solomon Islands played Australia in the final. I'm reading up on the, no doubt highly anticipated, rematch at the 08 Oceania Cup where Vanuatu HOSTED New Zealand to a crowd of 8000 (i've been to Korman Stadium, there's like a thousand seats maximun.) The locals would've been pretty exited to hit the lead in the first half, possibly so excited that they stopped concentrating and New Zealand scored twcie to miss humiliation again.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
Hey, Sudan's still in it and that's good enough for me!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »
I don't know what it is, usually I can't stand watching soccer, but I really get into it when it's the World Cup.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:06:53 AM »
Maybe that's because it's the world's greatest tournament and everyone player represents their country.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
We are only weeks away! I am so incredibly hyped!

I wasn't able to procure a ticket to the games, but **** it, it should be a hell of a time anyway! Rabicle, you coming?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I'm not sure who to bandwagon seeing as my home country hasn't made the final tournament since I was 2.

I'll be rooting for Honduras since I have family that works/lives there, but after they go out in the group stage...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
Stogi you able to post any old pics?  I attended the world cup co-hosted by Korea/Japan, tut tut we can't seem to get along.  even though it was a ridiculous move it was still fun as hell, I'll try and find my old memory card and post some pics. 
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »
I'm not sure who to bandwagon seeing as my home country hasn't made the final tournament since I was 2.

I'll be rooting for Honduras since I have family that works/lives there, but after they go out in the group stage...

You can join my bandwagon and root for every African team. An African nation hasn't won it.....ever. They are the ultimate underdogs.

Stogi you able to post any old pics?  I attended the world cup co-hosted by Korea/Japan, tut tut we can't seem to get along.  even though it was a ridiculous move it was still fun as hell, I'll try and find my old memory card and post some pics. 

I'm not sure what you mean, Sessha. I haven't been to a world cup before. If you have, then by all means, post those pics!

BTW...I loved that world cup so so very much. It was phenomenal how well South Korea did.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »

You can join my bandwagon and root for every African team. An African nation hasn't won it.....ever. They are the ultimate underdogs.

Well you can bend the rules a bit and say that Brazil is an African team.

I'm rooting for Portugal of course.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »
I think South Africa deserved to win that match against Mexico. It was an average game, but Tshabalala's goal was spectacular.

What a pile of misery it was to watch France and Uruguay.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:23:50 PM by Caliban »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »
I've been getting into soccer video games because of the World Cup. I mentioned X2 Soccer 2010 in the iPhone thread, but I've also been playing a lot of Pro Evo on the Wii. I had forgotten how fantastic those controls are.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 03:34:11 AM »
2 ties on day one? Wow. I hope America pulls it off tomorrow.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 04:45:14 AM »
Fucken hell. So I was in the student village rec room. Woulda been a hundred or so people there. I'd say the crowd was split 96% South African supporters and 3% Mexicunts.

I hate Mexico for putting an end to our celebrations. Were were having the best time.

Note: the 1% is for that idiot who doens't get sports nd sits around with a glass of sherry and a monocle and quietly analyses the game while backing up every call the ref makes. Way to do it wrong. Sport is about being COMPLETELY ONE EYED WITH UNDYING DEVOTION TO YOUR TEAM even if you only adopted them 5 minutes before teh game started because you once met a pretty girl from there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:58:22 AM by RABicle »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 05:46:51 AM »
I'm actually getting into this. Of course, all the fun I have with soccer video games and the built up excitement of the event usually goes away within 5-10 minutes of the first game I watch. I'm giving it another shot, but, at least in my experience so far, soccer is the most ridiculously boring sport to watch.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 06:33:15 AM »
The France match yesterday was dull as hell.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 08:52:48 AM »
That's because France played.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »
Maybe my tastes have matured, or maybe some of my brain cells died, but I'm watching the game and really getting into it. I think all the soccer video games I've been playing recently have given me an appreciation for the strategy of the game.

Man, that English goalie has to be feeling awful after letting one like that in.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »
The group with England, USA, Argentina, and Nigeria is awesome. It's a shame that 2 teams have to be left behind. I cannot wait to watch their other matches.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
The Argentina and Nigeria group is paired with South Korea and Greece, the other two teams in Group C play tomorrow.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 11:37:46 PM »
D'oh! My bad LOL.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 12:34:25 AM »

When we win it all, we will force all countries to call it by its true name: Soccer.

(I don't care about soccer)