Author Topic: UGO boughtout the 1UP network, EGM closes it's doors  (Read 27594 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: UGO boughtout the 1UP network, EGM closes it's doors
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:54 AM »
1up dead? And nothing of value was lost.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
While its sad so many people got laid off I hope that the new management straighten things out. Seriously 1up and EGM had serious elitist and attitude issues.

Wanna bet the next site to be bought out is IGN?

IGN was bought out like 2 years ago by Fox News Corp.

Edit: Beaten damn you golden!

Quote from: TheYoungerPlumber

Well, Radio Trivia is sort of like Retronauts. Maybe. Kinda. Sorta....only without the special guests related to that episode's topic. Or a specific topic. FINE. But it IS retro!

Meh Destructoid's retro force go! is way more retro than radio trivia.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:59:53 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »
So EGM started in 1989 and closed in 2009.  You almost wish they just kept the magazine around until May when the Mag officially was 20 years old.  End it with a big 20 year retrospective issue.

I haven't read EGM or any other videogame magazine in years (with the odd promotional free issue here and there) but this is a very historic moment.  There was a time where magazines were THE way to get videogame news, previews and reviews.  If there was no internet all of us would still have our nose buried in them.  EGM was obsolete and was going to end at some point but whether you liked it or not at one point it was part of gaming culture.  Or at the very least mags like EGM were a part of gaming culture and having such a major one end is significant.  Gaming mags are the sort of thing from my childhood that my future kids will not identify with and will regard their father was a dinosaur for living in the era of them.

When I was your age we didn't have the internet.  I had to look up my videogame news in a monthly magazine.  The news was already three months old at that point but that's the way we liked it DAMMIT. ;)

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »
Well, Radio Trivia is sort of like Retronauts. Maybe. Kinda. Sorta....only without the special guests related to that episode's topic. Or a specific topic. FINE. But it IS retro!

Well, of course radio trivia is great. You do a great job with the podcast, and do discuss the games in great detail.

Still, hopefully Retronauts continues in some form, but I know that's probably not on Parish's mind at the moment (not blaming him).

So EGM started in 1989 and closed in 2009.  You almost wish they just kept the magazine around until May when the Mag officially was 20 years old.  End it with a big 20 year retrospective issue.

Wow, it was that close to 20 years? I can't believe they won't let them go on just to reach it. I always enjoyed their issues where they ranked the top 100 games of all time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:44:53 PM by TheNorthSea »
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 02:04:37 PM »

Well, of course radio trivia is great. You do a great job with the podcast, and do discuss the games in great detail.

Still, hopefully Retronauts continues in some form, but I know that's probably not on Parish's mind at the moment (not blaming him)

Actually, it IS  on his mind, as according to his latest blog post he's vowed to keep Retronauts going...somehow.  He doesn't know how often or how long they can do them anymore, but he's said he's determined to still do that podcast.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
Parish is king.  ;)

Have you ever listened to Retronauts?  The depth of knowledge from those guys is mind blowing.  Parish, Kohler and Shane all know the most inconsequential details about these old games--so much that it's mind-blowing.  The wealth of knowledge is enough to fill a book (in Kohler's case, literally.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »
Meh, podcasts suck anyway.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
I've read EGM for years, and I didn't like how they were constantly changing the magazine's format. The older stuff was better, but it's not like I hate the new magazine. They're good people, and they have interesting interviews. I also liked Seanbaby.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »
Most of the people working there got laid off.

Anyone who says this is good is a ****ing douchebag.

And yes, anyone cheering this announcement is pretty fracking cruel.  You may not have agreed with their magazine, but that's a lot of people out of work now from the biggest gaming print company in the business.  That's not good for anyone.

As to appear less douchey:

EGM as an entity is dead = Hoorah
All the employees that lost their job because of it = sorry, i hope you all find work.

Better? not that i have any qualms about being labeled a douche by an anonymous poster
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
Parish is king.  ;)

Have you ever listened to Retronauts?  The depth of knowledge from those guys is mind blowing.  Parish, Kohler and Shane all know the most inconsequential details about these old games--so much that it's mind-blowing.  The wealth of knowledge is enough to fill a book (in Kohler's case, literally.
Yes, I have. And in no way am I claiming Radio Trivia begins to approach this sort of coverage of a topic. Hence, the tongue-in-cheek manner in which I wrote my comment.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
Meh, the people who were qualified but lost their jobs will probably be hired elswewhere, the rest... Well, I don't think anyone's gonna miss their articles.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
Meh, the people who were qualified but lost their jobs will probably be hired elswewhere, the rest... Well, I don't think anyone's gonna miss their articles.

Perfectly put.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 02:02:14 PM »
I just realized I used the phrase "mind-blowing" twice in two sentences.  I guess my mind is officially blown.

Couldn't you say that about anyone who loses a job?  And yet, the unemployment rate in the USA is the highest it's been in 20 years.  Just because you want to work doesn't mean someone will be willing to pay you for it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »
I just realized I used the phrase "mind-blowing" twice in two sentences.  I guess my mind is officially blown.

Couldn't you say that about anyone who loses a job?  And yet, the unemployment rate in the USA is the highest it's been in 20 years.  Just because you want to work doesn't mean someone will be willing to pay you for it.

Thats true, even when the economy wasn't clogging the toilet, most places wouldn't hire someone that wanted to work and put 100% effort into it, and instead opted for those willing to put up with enough to keep getting paid everyweek ;)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »
Of course, they can find other work. I feel sorry for the people who lost their jobs.

EGM dying? Not at all.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »
I still received EGM up until now and the magazine couldn't even make it through a full dump.  But that wasn't their fault, its just the nature of print.  I will however, miss the website and podcasts as both were entertaining and insightful.  They could be a bit pretentious at times, but who isn't.  They still brought a different flavor to the gaming industry not addressed by IGN, and other blogs.

Best of luck to Garnett Lee and the new crew, it won't be easy!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2009, 03:43:39 AM »
Know what? I don't care if they don't get employed again. Their profession was rapidly dying anyway with everyone being able to write and publish on the internet so there's no need for an elite with access to the printing machine. Guess what, goofing off and writing troll articles or crappy reviews designed mertely to make people link to you in rage doesn't make your website known for quality and these days I can get crappy writing and overblown egos anywhere.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2009, 03:57:27 AM »
Know what? I don't care if they don't get employed again. Their profession was rapidly dying anyway with everyone being able to write and publish on the internet so there's no need for an elite with access to the printing machine. Guess what, goofing off and writing troll articles or crappy reviews designed mertely to make people link to you in rage doesn't make your website known for quality and these days I can get crappy writing and overblown egos anywhere.

Ouch.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 06:37:45 AM »
Hell, nowadays people consider forum posters to have more integrity than writers for large publications because the writers have a reputation for moneyhats.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »

Finally someone said it.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »
You know which sites I REALLY want to see go under? Game Daily and Games radar.

Both are pretty much the VH1 of the gaming world (both fail to provide real content and both LOVE to make countdown lists. Really? CHEST HAIR IN GAMING?).

Both sites are run by gaming elitists who do nothing but write troll articles and their reviews are terrible. Worst of all, their sense of humor is retarded to say the least (LET'S MAKE FUN OF OLD PEOPLE PLAYING WII OR THE 360'S RROD!! YAAAAAY!).

If these were to disappear no one would be mourning them.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
You know which sites I REALLY want to see go under? Game Daily and Games radar.

Both are pretty much the VH1 of the gaming world (both fail to provide real content and both LOVE to make countdown lists. Really? CHEST HAIR IN GAMING?).

Both sites are run by gaming elitists who do nothing but write troll articles and their reviews are terrible. Worst of all, their sense of humor is retarded to say the least (LET'S MAKE FUN OF OLD PEOPLE PLAYING WII OR THE 360'S RROD!! YAAAAAY!).

If these were to disappear no one would be mourning them.

Maybe the EGM staff can work for them and make their trolling at least sound sophisticated.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Yeah, I TOTALLY AGREE!

It's always best to have the lives of a bunch of individuals turned on their head just so that it becomes impossible for me to accidentally navigate to a site I don't like!  Hurray!

/sarcasm

Seriously people, get your heads out of the clouds.  Luck and timing has just as much to do with landing a dream job as skill.  If you think for one minute these people will all "easily" find jobs if they are "qualified" you have another thing coming.

I hope they all do, but it's still an absolutely terrible thing regardless.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2009, 12:53:02 PM »
Yeah, I TOTALLY AGREE!

It's always best to have the lives of a bunch of individuals turned on their head just so that it becomes impossible for me to accidentally navigate to a site I don't like!  Hurray!

/sarcasm

Seriously people, get your heads out of the clouds.  Luck and timing has just as much to do with landing a dream job as skill.  If you think for one minute these people will all "easily" find jobs if they are "qualified" you have another thing coming.

I hope they all do, but it's still an absolutely terrible thing regardless.

Um, was that aimed at me for my dislike of Game Daily or to the people that believe that the fired staff will get jobs soon?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
Ziff should have killed the mag years ago and focused on the website.  Maybe they could have even called it, I don't know, "EGM", to eliminate diluting the brand.  The podcasts have always been great, but I must say navigating through 1up was Tuuuurrible, just slightly better than Gamespot, which isn't saying much.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....